2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

Yeah I am most concerned about the change too. They say the R&D and design side by Miura-san and sons won't change, but I'm not optimistic about that. Depends on the owner.

The day I see "Baby Rocketbladez" on the market, I'm gonna cry.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

When you take a name that's been around since 1928 (craftsman) and it's sold to a conglomerate (Black & Decker), no good can come of it.

I hope that's not the case for Miura. Taking the boutique out and throwing them on the shelves of retail stores doesn't seem like a good idea. I wonder why they would even allow this investment to happen? I can't imagine they have financial troubles.

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

More than likely it is a JDM investor. Culturally they do not stray willingly to outside investors, my guess it is that it is Bridgestone or Srixon, Someone in the business looking to bolster their position against the heavyweights.

Srixon (their parent company anyway Sumitomo Rubber Industries) has just bought the remaining elements of the UK Dunlop business for $137m to consolidate the Dunlop brand under which Srixon, XXIO and Cleveland operate. It may be that they are looking to expand their operations further but I am not sure how Miura would fit in.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

More than likely it is a JDM investor. Culturally they do not stray willingly to outside investors, my guess it is that it is Bridgestone or Srixon, Someone in the business looking to bolster their position against the heavyweights.

Srixon (their parent company anyway Sumitomo Rubber Industries) has just bought the remaining elements of the UK Dunlop business for $137m to consolidate the Dunlop brand under which Srixon, XXIO and Cleveland operate. It may be that they are looking to expand their operations further but I am not sure how Miura would fit in.

Me neither.....Bridgestone has global reach and they make great stuff but they are always a bridesmaid in balls and clubs. Srixon seems to have a bigger club presence. Of the two I would bet it's Bridgestone. Surprised if it is a wildcat billionaire but you never know. Miura comes off as conservative and steeped in tradition. I cannot see them selling out for just a big payday. That's just too American :)

Of course it's speculation and perhaps bullxxxx but does this not cast a new light on the news of Hogan Golf a few days ago? Any chance they were being looked at by the same investor and lost out? After all isn't that what is done these days. build a brand, an app, a widget, a franchise and then sell to your ginormous competitor at crazy valuation?......ah, too much coffee.

bet the priceof current miura irons goes up..... always spells begining of the end for a boutique builder of anything ... good on them for cashing out and retiring ( i bet) but bad for te brand going forward usually

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Me neither.....Bridgestone has global reach and they make great stuff but they are always a bridesmaid in balls and clubs. Srixon seems to have a bigger club presence. Of the two I would bet it's Bridgestone. Surprised if it is a wildcat billionaire but you never know. Miura comes off as conservative and steeped in tradition. I cannot see them selling out for just a big payday. That's just too American :)

Bridgestone are struggling I think...they pulled out of the UK market completely last year, including balls which seemed to be selling well (given the amount that I have found when in the trees myself!).

There was speculation linking a certain Mr Woods with investment into TaylorMade not long ago...he does need something to do when he does retire and from what I gather he is a bit of a traditionalist so Miura might be a good fit (and given previous collaborations).

The only result whichever way it goes would seem to be a dilution of the Miura brand which is very very sad.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

2017 goals

1. make progress in my effort to improve my swing and develop a reliable fade to use as my primary shot shape.

2. Once the season starts, leave the bag alone. No fiddling with drivers or shafts after a bad round or two.

3. Tick off 5 courses from the various Top 100 Public lists. I just booked a Bandon trip today for late March, so that'll take care of a few right there.

4. Improve my mental approach and play with less fear of what could go wrong

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

You do realize that they sold Miura because I got a set .. Right ?! Everything I like becomes obsolete inside a year. Known fact.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

You do realize that they sold Miura because I got a set .. Right ?! Everything I like becomes obsolete inside a year. Known fact.

At least you have something in common with Nick Price.?

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

Well, this thread definitely has caught my interest. Here are photos of my current bag (should match my signature). Since the photos I posted a few days ago (from 2008 or so), a few upgrades in the bag and headcover department: A leather Mackenzie Walker from Pacific Dunes.

Woods are a mixed bag, took me a bunch of ebay purchases to find stuff I could hit without rejiggering my swing. Since there are so few people who can work on real woods anymore, I have to do "hit and miss" purchases of woods. I take them to the course and try them out and keep what I like and resell (typically for a loss) the stuff that doesn't work. However, I now like all the clubs in my bag and am happy to play them anytime/anywhere and am comfortable playing courses up to about 6700 yards (par 72). Irons are still the Apex PCs. Putter is still my high school Bullseye. Wedge has been changed to a Wilson Dual Wedge that is much more versatile than the Wilson Buttonback SW.

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

Man, I had to jump back over to this thread. If you bring up blades or muscle backs in some of these other forums you get treated like you're a Lepper or misinformed idiot. Thought I was going to get beaten up for playing the new irons I just got. Later.

We are the untouchables in the WRX caste.

Registered Bladeocrat

Took the Ram SW, PW, and 6i to the rang today along with my VIPs. So far, so good, though I might have to reshaft. I think the first priority is the grips, but I am vacillating as I don't want to put new grips on if I am going to change the shaft in the near future. The grips are not only shiny, hard, and cracking, but all way too thin for me. Interestingly, loft-for-loft, the R400 shafts seemed to be producing a lower ball-flight than my VIPs shafted with ProjectX. However, I don't think the R400s are a great fit for me. I was helped to today by the fact that I wasn't swinging that hard because A) I had a few muscle pains here and there, and B) I was damn scared that with the smooth grips the club would fly out of my hand and land 100 yards downrange.

Anyway, the big revelation was the SW (59*); absolutely fantastic club. It was great for every shot I tried, and oddly enough maxed out 5 yards further than my 58* MD2 wedge. Both have just had their lofts checked, so the only thing I can put it down to is the shafts: R400 vs S200?

Also enjoyed hitting the VIPs today. They look a lot better at address since I weakened the lofts, as it has made the offset less noticeable. I'm looking forward to taking them out some time soon.

Man, I had to jump back over to this thread. If you bring up blades or muscle backs in some of these other forums you get treated like you're a Lepper or misinformed idiot. Thought I was going to get beaten up for playing the new irons I just got. Later.

I was trying to make that point a few pages ago, thanks for re-proving it haha. Welcome back.

Miura is done. I need to contemplate getting another set of small blades in the next year or 2 and then washing my hands of them as a company.

Tour spec golf has world wide distribution? There is so much wrong with that, I can't even begin. But here is a basic point regardless of who the small individual rep with this position is. In my industry a lot of Italian companies need to use people for distribution and they get rights, 10 times out of 10, the distribution rights company/person cares nothing about anything but pushing product at all costs and even good companies get a bad image. This goes on for years because the language and cultural barriers are so great the home foreign company is super late to realize the damages being done.

New company wants to make more GI stuff, and will. Not really what Miura is/was about. The passing point line is fine for GI and Miura believed small blades are easiest to hit. So right off the bat, company philosophy is contradictory.

Sad, but I buy used stuff anyway, and I can still buy mp14s, I will still be able to buy real Miuras if I feel like it in 20 years. My opinion though is I am happy I am into the yahoo auction JDM world because Miura is about start a journey downhill. Hey, they will still probably feel good at least.

Congrats on the Miura family for cashing out. Well deserved.

Bigmean,

I thought it was True Spec Golf that got the distribution rights? In one thread I read earlier this morning, Zak (Kozuchowski) clarified that it was them and NOT Tour Spec that was going to be the distributor. Now, as I know nothing about True Spec Golf, I have no idea what that means, but apparently it's NOT Tour Spec. Link: http://www.golfwrx.c...ant-investment/

That aside, it does sadly appear that Miura will move to more GI stuff and away from blades. I imagine they'll still keep a line or two of blades, but golfers everywhere are moving away from them. Anecdotally, there are fewer and fewer "new" blade sets coming into the local secondhand store.

Well, this thread definitely has caught my interest. Here are photos of my current bag (should match my signature). Since the photos I posted a few days ago (from 2008 or so), a few upgrades in the bag and headcover department: A leather Mackenzie Walker from Pacific Dunes.

Woods are a mixed bag, took me a bunch of ebay purchases to find stuff I could hit without rejiggering my swing. Since there are so few people who can work on real woods anymore, I have to do "hit and miss" purchases of woods. I take them to the course and try them out and keep what I like and resell (typically for a loss) the stuff that doesn't work. However, I now like all the clubs in my bag and am happy to play them anytime/anywhere and am comfortable playing courses up to about 6700 yards (par 72). Irons are still the Apex PCs. Putter is still my high school Bullseye. Wedge has been changed to a Wilson Dual Wedge that is much more versatile than the Wilson Buttonback SW.

Nobody is talking about Miura's new investor/direction. This concerns me. Front page of golfwrx. New direction wants to make Miura's more easily available.

Like Bigmean said Miura is looking to focus on the GI market. This is obviously a bigger market than the blade market so you can see the logic if they are looking to expand.

One assumes they know what they are doing but I would hate to see the phasing out of of the blade purist ethos. That is and has been their point of difference. High quality forgings for the purist. That is how they have achieved their fame.

Would be a cryin shame if they just became another company making forged shovels.

Ugh it is so hard to stay optimistic. Now I feel like a betamax video tape player owner in the early 80s. My only defense mechanism to the likely travesty of Miura blades is that at least I got my BBs and I have two Miura blade sets that I can probably stretch over 15 years before I need to replace them.

Does anyone know for sure that this impacts both Miura and Miura-Giken? Meaning, is there any chance Miura-Giken will live on and untouched by the new owners? I think the article only mentioned Miura.

Registered Bladeocrat

Probably of little solace but family businesses have just as high a failure rate as new start ups, which is quite remarkable when you ponder it. So Miura selling out might have been it's best play if family dynamics are not pointing true North. The JDM market shows a lot of reverence for traditional forgings so my optimism for great irons being available in the future has been tainted but not extinguished.

Took the Ram SW, PW, and 6i to the rang today along with my VIPs. So far, so good, though I might have to reshaft. I think the first priority is the grips, but I am vacillating as I don't want to put new grips on if I am going to change the shaft in the near future. The grips are not only shiny, hard, and cracking, but all way too thin for me. Interestingly, loft-for-loft, the R400 shafts seemed to be producing a lower ball-flight than my VIPs shafted with ProjectX. However, I don't think the R400s are a great fit for me. I was helped to today by the fact that I wasn't swinging that hard because A) I had a few muscle pains here and there, and B) I was damn scared that with the smooth grips the club would fly out of my hand and land 100 yards downrange.

Anyway, the big revelation was the SW (59*); absolutely fantastic club. It was great for every shot I tried, and oddly enough maxed out 5 yards further than my 58* MD2 wedge. Both have just had their lofts checked, so the only thing I can put it down to is the shafts: R400 vs S200?

Also enjoyed hitting the VIPs today. They look a lot better at address since I weakened the lofts, as it has made the offset less noticeable. I'm looking forward to taking them out some time soon.

Wasn't gonna say anything, but I (I think I was looking at that set earlier last month), don't know what stopped me from pulling the trigger. Glad you like'em...

That's always the thing too, about the grips or the shaft. Hate throwing away money on grips!

Enjoy those bad boys, eh!

Wasn't gonna say anything, but I (I think I was looking at that set earlier last month), don't know what stopped me from pulling the trigger. Glad you like'em...

That's always the thing too, about the grips or the shaft. Hate throwing away money on grips!

Enjoy those bad boys, eh!

If you saw them on the Japanese Yahoo! Auction site, then they probably are the same set; don't see many RAM irons on there (first time I've looked and found any, at least from the golden years).

New shafts and grips won't be cheap. If I were patient, I would wait a couple of years and put the new shafts I have put in my beat-up Mac MTs into the RAMs, that way I can save on shafts AND grips. I can't see the MTs lasting more than a couple of seasons, depending on how often I take them out.

Thing is, I don't have the patience for that.