2017 Golf Association of Philadelphia Schedule Released

Drudersh

Buried in the back of the latest issue of GAP Magazine is the 2017 Tournament schedule. This is the moment us tournament enthusiasts wait for like a kindergartner on Christmas Eve. GAP has put together another strong schedule for 2017 with their premier event, the Amateur, heading to the renovated Philadelphia Cricket Club, host of the 2016 Senior Constellation and 2020 USGA 4-Ball Championship. While last year's venues were always going to be hard to follow, they've done a great job in getting some courses on the schedule that I'm sure guys will be excited about.

Major venues include:

Middle-Amateur Championship - Overbrook Golf Club - I've never played this course but have had a few friends tell me that it is fantastic, some of whom played it late last year and said it was in unbelievable condition.

Amateur Championship - Philadelphia Cricket Club, with stroke play qualifying to take place on Wissahickon and Militia Hill. For those that haven't been there to play it or see it, it is a big boy's golf course in every sense of the word. Long, big greens, difficult, immaculate and absolutely stunning.

Open Championship - This is a little confusing as the schedule simply says "Philadelphia". My best guess is they left out the CC and the event is taking place at Philadelphia Country Club.

Joseph H. Patterson Cup - Wilmington South - With a beautiful set of par 3's, extremely difficult par 4's (see the 8th hole at 488 on the card, straight uphill and playing more like 520, and the 9th hole playing 496 on the card) Wilmington is another course that demands length as it can be stretched to almost 7400 yards. Perhaps the only weakness of this course are the par 5's, all of which save for 1, are unreachable by anyone driving the ball under 350 yards (not an exaggeration).

Other Events of Note:

US Mid Am Qualifier - White Manor

Christman Cup - Stonewall North

US Senior Am Qualifier - Ledge Rock

Marston Cup - Fieldstone

4-Ball Championship - Chester Valley

US 4-Ball Qualifier - Waynesborough

For those that haven't played in GAP events before, I highly suggest you give them a try. They are well run and a blast to take part in.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buried in the back of the latest issue of GAP Magazine is the 2017 Tournament schedule. This is the moment us tournament enthusiasts wait for like a kindergartner on Christmas Eve. GAP has put together another strong schedule for 2017 with their premier event, the Amateur, heading to the renovated Philadelphia Cricket Club, host of the 2016 Senior Constellation and 2020 USGA 4-Ball Championship. While last year's venues were always going to be hard to follow, they've done a great job in getting some courses on the schedule that I'm sure guys will be excited about.

Major venues include:

Middle-Amateur Championship - Overbrook Golf Club - I've never played this course but have had a few friends tell me that it is fantastic, some of whom played it late last year and said it was in unbelievable condition.

Amateur Championship - Philadelphia Cricket Club, with stroke play qualifying to take place on Wissahickon and Militia Hill. For those that haven't been there to play it or see it, it is a big boy's golf course in every sense of the word. Long, big greens, difficult, immaculate and absolutely stunning.

Open Championship - This is a little confusing as the schedule simply says "Philadelphia". My best guess is they left out the CC and the event is taking place at Philadelphia Country Club.

Joseph H. Patterson Cup - Wilmington South - With a beautiful set of par 3's, extremely difficult par 4's (see the 8th hole at 488 on the card, straight uphill and playing more like 520, and the 9th hole playing 496 on the card) Wilmington is another course that demands length as it can be stretched to almost 7400 yards. Perhaps the only weakness of this course are the par 5's, all of which save for 1, are unreachable by anyone driving the ball under 350 yards (not an exaggeration).

Other Events of Note:

Marston Cup - Fieldstone

For those that haven't played in GAP events before, I highly suggest you give them a try. They are well run and a blast to take part in.

The courses for the Member Play Days aren't too bad either:

Little Mill CC

Schuylkill CC

Ridge at Back Brook

Country Club of York

Trenton CC

Meadowlands CC

North Hills CC

Huntingdon Valley CC

French Creek GC

Lancaster LC

I played in a MPD at CC of York a few years ago....it's worth the drive.

MPD is a great program but was better when fewer people knew about it :rolleyes: Entered 5 lotteries this year, didn't get into any MPD's.

And for us hacks, Spring Net is at Medford Lakes and Fall Net is at Schuylkill.

Major venues include:

Other Events of Note:

Marston Cup - Fieldstone

The courses for the Member Play Days aren't too bad either:

Little Mill CC

Schuylkill CC

Ridge at Back Brook

Country Club of York

Trenton CC

Meadowlands CC

North Hills CC

Huntingdon Valley CC

French Creek GC

Lancaster LC

Wow! Some great tracks on that list. French Creek, HVCC, Ridge and Back Brook and Lancaster are some of the best in the area!

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

I def plan on trying some member play days, I'm a hack play the white tees and am 11-14 cap past few years, but they sound like fun.

Callaway BBV 10.5 Neutral w/ 44.5 inch Motore 565 speeder shaft stiff
Callaway BBV 3 Wood, 15.5 stiff, 5 Wood 19 stiff
Callaway X2 Hot 19 Hybrid stiff
Callaway X2 Hot 4-PW
Ping Glide 50 SS
Cleveland CG16 , 56
Wilson Staff Grant Park Putter

What are the member play days? I've only played gap tournaments...

Titleist Ts2 10.5* GD DI 6x
Titliest 915 5w 18* GD DI 7x
Callaway Apex 23*h Oban Devotion 
Callaway Apex 26*h GD DI 85x
Srixon 785 6-PW Nippon 105 Modus
Titleist SM7 50*, 54*, 58* Nippon 115 Modus 
Odyssey #7 Plumber Neck 
2018 Taylormade tp5

https://www.instagram.com/benzoducky/ 

Member Play Day entry lottery process

GAP Member Play Days provide Individual Members of the Association with an opportunity to experience other area golf courses in a relaxed, enjoyable environment.

MPD are open to all (amateur) Individual Members (male/female/juniors ages 14 and older) with a valid GAP/USGA Handicap.

All participants must first complete a lottery entry form. Lottery entries for all MPD events begin on February 1. A lottery system then determines the final entrants for GAP Member Play Days. After the entry deadline closes, registrants who are selected from the lottery are then notified via email and given the opportunity to secure his/her position(s) with payment via the My GAP Locker member portal. Each lottery winner will be given 48 hours to claim his/her spot(s). Once your 48 hour window was passed you will no longer be eligible to claim your spot(s). Any registrant who is not initially drawn from the lottery will be placed on a waiting list and will receive a notification email if selected after the first lottery draw.

A GAP Member Play Day participant may request positions for up to four people. This will allow groups of friends the opportunity to enjoy some wonderful golf courses together. So grab a few of your golf buddies and enter for a chance to play in the next GAP Member Play Day.

A net Stableford scoring system is used. Points are awarded for each hole based on a score relative to par. In a Stableford system event, once you have met your net limit, you can pick up, so there is no pressure to complete every hole.

Pretty cool they're able to get great courses in the rota to host tournaments. Merion last year, and PCC this year? Wow! I wonder how they get that kind of participation.

Not that I'd be able to qualify for the big events anyway, but the MD state golf association doesn't seem to have the same kind of pull and/or get cooperation from the upper tier clubs for hosting. Columbia CC is about the only higher end that seems to host stuff with any regularity.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hate to burst your Overbrook bubble. Yes, it will be in great shape but the layout is FUNKY to say the least. Rest of the courses are unreal tho. Enjoy

Hopefully not as funky as St. Davids. They had the MidAm there a couple years ago and I'm not sure I've ever enjoyed a course less between layout and conditions.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball