Mizuno EZ forged 2016 (used) shaft option help

JCULL

Hey,

Looking for some help long time golfer but looking to get a second set of irons.

I currently play ping eye 2 becu+ have for years.

I have purchased a set of mizuno ez forged 2016 model and have to choose the shaft.

I have a choice of

KBS Ctaper light in R

S300 stiff

Xp 95 in R

Now I have the original shafts in my pings which are fine.

I don't know anything about shafts and I keep reading and it's really throwing me off.

My swing speed with a driver is about 98. Unfortunately for me I don't have a place anywhere near me to get fitted or anything so that's not an option right now.

The KBS from what I read sound great but it being Regular flex throws me off as I normally play stiff. But it's also 110g which is pretty decent I think?

Any advice be appreciated

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My driver ss is ~90 and I have these clubs in the XP95 R300. They're perfect for me...for the S300, are you talking about the stock XP95 S300 shaft or one of the other TT shafts? It'll still be light if it is the XP95 - they do offer the XP105, XP115, DG AMT, and DG all in the S300 flex from the factory. The C Tapers are significantly heavier, if that's the feel you're looking for.

Here's a list of the shafts that Mizzy offers:

http://www.mizunousa.com/golf/iron-shafts

Thanks guys.

The C tapers I'm favouring just mostly curious of the stiffness of the shaft between a regular and stiff.

The xp95 are the stock shaft and I believe those will be much to light.

Do you guys know if someone plays a stiff normally if the C taper is a little stiffer than another shaft?

Unfortunately robrey got it wrong. While the C-Tapers are a stout shaft, the C-Tamper Lites are quite a bit different. Without any other information but your driver swing speed - and those three shafts being your only options, I'd definitely go with the C-Taper Lites. The S300s are probably too stout for you while the XP95 are probably too whippy.

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
Woods: ST 180 or MP-650 - Irons: MP-H5 / MP-53 / MP-4, KBS Tour S - 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: RTX ZipCore - Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

Thanks guys.

The C tapers I'm favouring just mostly curious of the stiffness of the shaft between a regular and stiff.

Do you guys know if someone plays a stiff normally if the C taper is a little stiffer than another shaft?

Unfortunately robrey got it wrong. While the C-Tapers are a stout shaft, the C-Tamper Lites are quite a bit different. Without any other information but your driver swing speed - and those three shafts being your only options, I'd definitely go with the C-Taper Lites. The S300s are probably too stout for you while the XP95 are probably too whippy.

So you have played Ctaper lite? Thanks for your input. That's the way I'm kind of leaning right now.

OP, C taper lites are very good shafts and I am very happy I have changed to them earlier this year. As you know there are many different reasons that a player likes one shaft over another, but with you needing a "blind" one I think you will like them. The XP 95 is pretty light and if you have any sort of jerky motions in your swing it will be tough for you to control. The other side of the spectrum is the S300 (assuming it is the traditional dynamic gold version) which is pretty stout. Would recommend the S300 only if you have a very quick transition or want a lower flight. Good luck.

Ping G430 10K w/ Chrome Tour 2.0
Ping G430 3W  

Ping G410 3H, 4H

Ping i525 6-PW Project X IO
Cleveland CBX 2 48*
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56*
LAB Mezz Max 

Alphard V2 wheels

Thanks guys.

So you have played Ctaper lite? Thanks for your input. That's the way I'm kind of leaning right now.

I've only had the C-Taper Lite in one club, a 1 iron, so yes I've played it but that's not a club on which you can base a fair review. :) While it is a good-feeling shaft, I know from demos it's not my favourite shaft of the KBS offerings (which in general are my favourites). But like cfmgolf said (and elaborated the points), the XP95 and S300 are both most probably wrong shafts for you while the CTL is in the right ballpark.

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
Woods: ST 180 or MP-650 - Irons: MP-H5 / MP-53 / MP-4, KBS Tour S - 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: RTX ZipCore - Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

S300 is not a shaft, it's a flex rating. What specific shaft are you talking about here? Dynamic Gold? XP 95/105/115 ? The XP115 would be a decent match to your stock Ping shafts. Otherwise I'd focus on the shaft that has the weight closest to what you are playing now. Your swing speed is sort of between R and S so you could go either way depending on the feel you prefer.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

S300 is not a shaft, it's a flex rating. What specific shaft are you talking about here? Dynamic Gold? XP 95/105/115 ? The XP115 would be a decent match to your stock Ping shafts. Otherwise I'd focus on the shaft that has the weight closest to what you are playing now. Your swing speed is sort of between R and S so you could go either way depending on the feel you prefer.

This is what I was getting at as well. Just saying S300 isn't enough info to go on.

Yes dynamic gold S300 they are 125 grams.

I'm pretty much wondering are the c taper lite do they play a little stiffer than a regular flex.

I normally would play a stiff shaft and maybe I shouldn't be.

Xp95 regular shaft

I've played C-Taper Lite regular in a couple of Mizuno irons - the JPX 850 (non-forged) and the MP-H5. My driver swing speed normally maxes out around 93 mph and my 6 iron around 80 mph, for reference.

It's a relatively lightweight shaft at 105 grams and, for me, launched reasonably high - which is what the KBS website suggests should happen. You mention the weight as 110g, which is the weight of the C-Taper Lite in stiff. Is this simply a typo or are you referring to one of the other KBS shafts in regular flex? Both the KBS Tour and the C-Taper are 110g in regular flex and, as others have noted, the regular flex C-Taper plays significantly different from the regular flex C-Taper Lite - it's designed to be a low launch/low spin shaft which I certainly found to be the case when I tried it.

Assuming that you are referring to the C-Taper Lite in regular flex, I wouldn't myself have characterised it as particularly stiff to flex. I suspect anyone choosing it would do so not for that reason, but because of feel, ease of launch, and looks (the stepless satin shaft is very smart). It's a good shaft, and if your choice is limited to the shafts you mention and you can't try before deciding, I would agree with other posters that it would seem to be the most suitable. Good luck!