Should Topic Title Be: Tiger Is Done, or Is Tiger Done?

DrSchteeve

IMHO Tiger is just rusty and probably unsure of his back. He is no different than any other pro athlete with a serious injury, whether it be knee or back. It takes time for the confidence to return that they can do some of the things they did before the injury. As mentally tough as Tiger is the worst thing that happen was having to have multiple surgeries. He just needs more tourneys without withdrawing to get some of that confidence back. Missed cuts won't help but they are definitely better than withdrawing. I think we will know more after these next few weeks. And yes I am a Tiger fanbody.

If he is still unsure about his back at this point, given that has surely hit several thousand balls since his recovery, there is something wrong.

I can only imagine how he must feel with his back and body not allowing him to perform the way he wants to, or especially the way he used to. He looked stiff to me and seemed to move and walk funny after several tee shots. His follow-through, and his swing in general, did not look like it flowed well. It did look protective, as someone else posted earlier. It must really be frustrating for him considering what he used to be able to do.

Callaway Rogue 10.5
Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
Ping i20 2 Hy & Idea Pro 4 Hy
Ping i25 5-UW
Scotty Cameron Notchback
Ping Tour Gorge 54 & Vokey SM8 58

So since I'm getting plenty of crap for being a doctor, I might as well as well make some quasi-medical observations, or at least this one. Tiger's back is not healthy. Obviously there's not enough issues to preclude him from playing, but the swings he was taking at the Farmer's were the swings of somebody who either 1) can't make full rotational spine movements, or 2) is afraid to make full rotational spine movements. It's most noticeable on the follow through, which at the Farmer's was very abbreviated and upright.

Actually spent some time with a very qualified back guy this morning who is a golf nut and he watched the replays the last two evenings and says no doubt in his mind as well (admittedly from watching on TV) Tiger is protecting his back and that it would be natural and maybe necessary for him to do so. Also says he'd be surprised if he hadn't had something fused but not claiming he has and not trying to start anything with that remark. Just the volume of procedures and what we've seen for results concerns him. Should take some time to know anything - so in no sense would there be any real discussion of him being done, any more than thinking based on what anyone is seeing he will be winning a major any time soon.

Here are his shots from yesterday.

The iron at 2:05 and driver at 3:29 especially look very good as far as free range of motion. (If we are just talking about his back. Clearly, he has a lot of work to do still on his game)

So since I'm getting plenty of crap for being a doctor, I might as well as well make some quasi-medical observations, or at least this one. Tiger's back is not healthy. Obviously there's not enough issues to preclude him from playing, but the swings he was taking at the Farmer's were the swings of somebody who either 1) can't make full rotational spine movements, or 2) is afraid to make full rotational spine movements. It's most noticeable on the follow through, which at the Farmer's was very abbreviated and upright.

Actually spent some time with a very qualified back guy this morning who is a golf nut and he watched the replays the last two evenings and says no doubt in his mind as well (admittedly from watching on TV) Tiger is protecting his back and that it would be natural and maybe necessary for him to do so. Also says he'd be surprised if he hadn't had something fused but not claiming he has and not trying to start anything with that remark. Just the volume of procedures and what we've seen for results concerns him. Should take some time to know anything - so in no sense would there be any real discussion of him being done, any more than thinking based on what anyone is seeing he will be winning a major any time soon.

The swings at 2:05 and 3:29 especially look very good as far as free range of motion. (If we are just talking about his back. Clearly, he has a lot of work to do still on his game)

Just passing on what a random doctor said. His observations were more about watching him move about the course, etc., though not totally.

No doubt he can make some good swings, he made some aggressive swings from awkward lies at his tournament.

Basic, wasn't he just 50% GIR and fairways hit in those vids for 10 and 11? ;-)

Tiger has to decide how badly he wants it.

And if he wants it badly enough he'll swallow his pride, and call Butch.

Aiming left and swinging right is a recipe for another back injury. Trevino. Couples. You get the idea.

Either call it a day, or call Butch.

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

What do people mean by "done"?

Tiger is done being Tiger and has been since the hydrant. Those 5+ win/1-2 major seasons are long gone. Even without the injuries and other stuff, its unlikely he'd still be doing that at age 41.

Can he significantly add to his career totals?

Forget about 18, ain't happening. Could he win one more major? Pretty unlikely, but not impossible. He doesn't have to worry about qualifying (except for the US Open), and Ben Curtis, Shawn Micheel, Tom Watson (almost), etc have shown that nearly everyone in the field has a chance.

Snead's record is the most significant realistic achievement left. 3 to tie and 4 to pass is not inconceivable... but at this point, it looks a long way off. He's got to get back to being at least a top 50 player to have a legitimate shot at winning an event every couple of years. This comeback has been brief, but so far he looks more like a top 500 player.. which is basically what he was in 2014/5.

I don't think one more regular PGA Tour would make much difference. It would be a good story for a few days, but ultimately hanging on for another 5-10 years to add one win to the pile wouldn't change much (and actually might diminish his career in some eyes, as his career winning percentage would drop, he'd have many more MCs, etc)

The swings at 2:05 and 3:29 especially look very good as far as free range of motion. (If we are just talking about his back. Clearly, he has a lot of work to do still on his game)

Just passing on what a random doctor said. His observations were more about watching him move about the course, etc., though not totally.

No doubt he can make some good swings, he made some aggressive swings from awkward lies at his tournament.

I was strictly talking about his back. I mentioned his game needs a lot of work.

Here is a fan video of the last hole. He looks pretty comfortable, doenst look tight as he is waiting for the others.

I was strictly talking about his back. I mentioned his game needs a lot of work.

Here is a fan video of the last hole. He looks pretty comfortable, doenst look tight as he is waiting for the others.

Just teasing on the stats!

I wouldn't know a tight Tiger from a loose Tiger, I've seen some good swings last two tourneys he's played.

Good thing they cut that video before Tiger cussed out those kids - starts signing a bunch of autographs he's going to have carpal tunnel issues. ;-)

Going to suck next week waking up in the middle of the night to watch him in the desert. Wish they could start Friday night so I'm just wasting his two rounds on my weekend!

Tiger should just aim further left and get this march to 19 majors back on track!

HE'S BACK BABY!

GO TIGER!!

TIGER HOW COME YOU NEVER TWEET ME BACK BRO?

I LOVE YOU TIGER! SO TWEET ME. PLEASE?

HELLO?....TIGER?

ARE YOU THERE TIGER? IT'S ME (favorite sycophant name here)

TIGER!!!

TIGER DID YOU SEE HOW I CALLED THAT ONE GUY WHO DOUBTS YOU BASED ON YOUR PERFORMANCE AND HEALTH A TROLL? THAT WAS AWESOME! HEY, DID YOU GET THE DM I SENT? MY # IS IN THERE IF YOU NEED TO TALK. I'LL RESEND IF YOU ACCIDENTALLY DELETED IT. I FORGIVE YOU.

OK TALK TO YOU LATER TIGER! TWEET ME BACK OR TEXT ME MAN. BYE BUDDY!

Your name should be changed to "HYPERBOLIC."

I'm guessing your day job is producing infomercial fails.

I triggered one of them! It's so easy.

Anyway "Kymar The evil, hyperbolic clown" is Clive Barker scary. I'm the Cenobite of WRX.

"Your suffering will be legendary, even in hell ,er, Tory pines"

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

There seems to be a lot of doomsayers who think Tiger is done solely cause of his back issues. I don't know the extent of his back problems, but how long has Freddy had serious back issues, and he has remained competitive. Not saying Tiger will dominate again, but maybe he will still have weeks where he can play like the old tiger. Hopefully some of those weeks coincide with majors.

I will say that Tiger's apparent demise is an absolute tragedy for all golf fans, despite the glee shown by some haters on this site.

So many spectators are quick to come to conclusions on such a short frame of work. I'm not convinced that he is done competitively or will win again just yet. The only conclusion I made from watching the group Thursday and Friday is that Jason Day is excruciatingly slow. At one point one of the announcers said that DJ fired his iron shot into the green before Day's approach shot stopped. I really think the slow play affected DJ and possibly Tiger. I like Day a lot but it seems that he can be meticulous to a fault during the round.

This from a friggin ten capper who wouldn't know "done" if it jumped up and bit him in the ..., LMFAO?!?!?

Oh Dear God, I love this place???

All the Best,

RP

Me too. My favorites are the players who believe the validity of using handicap to estabish the credibility of someone's comments. So if I was scratch you might give more credibility to my observations?

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

This from a friggin ten capper who wouldn't know "done" if it jumped up and bit him in the ..., LMFAO?!?!?

All the Best,

RP

Me too. My favorites are the players who believe the validity of using handicap to estabish the credibility of someone's comments. So if I was scratch you might give more credibility to my observations?

Maybe if you explained what field you practice.

Or provide some medical substance to your comments.

Since you are a doctor.

BC since you saw and commented on my post about Tiger's lack of rotational spine movement not sure what you are looking for.

My MD from Columbia University in NY, my bachelor's from Dartmouth, my residency at Duke, and treated mostly back injuries for 25 years. But guess what I learned at those very good places: the paper on the wall from fancy schools doesn't make you better than the next doctor, it's how you treat your patients that matters.

I choose not to live with an elitist attitude, even though I could.

There are some really clueless scratch and better golfers who know very little about the golf swing and some 20 caps who do. There are lots of reasons someone is the handicap they are, from physical to when they took up the game, and so on.. I guess we who are not scratch or better should sit on the sidelines and listen to the wisdom of the scratch players. Sheesh.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

BC since you saw and commented on my post about Tiger's lack of rotational spine movement not sure what you are looking for.

My MD from Columbia University in NY, my bachelor's from Dartmouth, my residency at Duke, and treated mostly back injuries for 25 years. But guess what I learned at those very good places: the paper on the wall from fancy schools doesn't make you better than the next doctor, it's how you treat your patients that matters.

I choose not to live with an elitist attitude, even though I could.

There are some really clueless scratch and better golfers who know very little about the golf swing and some 20 caps who do. There are lots of reasons someone is the handicap they are, from physical to when they took up the game, and so on.. I guess we who are not scratch or better should sit on the sidelines and listen to the wisdom of the scratch players. Sheesh.

Doc, the guy is hitting 300 yard drives. Hes hitting thousands of balls every week.

How bad can his back be?

Im surprised you are making such a dire diagnosis without ever examining a person or seeing any of their records.

But,kudoson your credentials. Very nice.

Why is it when people answer the OPs question whether Tiger is done or not, that they are a 'hater' if they think he's done? It's not that people hate Tiger at all it's just a matter of whether they think he's done or not. I guess people love to jump to negative conclusions, it's easier and more entertaining.

Why is it when people answer the OPs question whether Tiger is done or not, that they are a 'hater' if they think he's done? It's not that people hate Tiger at all it's just a matter of whether they think he's done or not. I guess people love to jump to negative conclusions, it's easier and more entertaining.

Its true that TW has set a ridiculously high standard for performance.

But to state he is "done" after shooting within a stroke or 2 of the #1 and #3 in the world seems a bit biased (cough, hating)

No?

My worry is whether his body can hold up. I got sympathy pains watching him hack the ball out of the rough. If he can swing more like he does on the range, then no reason why he can't be competitive again.

I think how to swing it on the course like on the range is one of the great unsolved mysteries of the universe. It seems simple enough for a player of Tigers talent and experience, but just doesn't seem to happen. A bit like all those double digit cappers you see with scratch golfer practice swings. Pressure plays funny tricks on fine motor skills.

If I might ask, what type of "doctor" are you?

A Physician, i.e., M.D., DO, DPM, DDS/DMD?

If an M.D. or DO, specialty and sub-specialty please, if relevant?

Or an academic "doctor," i.e., chiropractor?

"Quasi-Medical?"

Interesting, lol

Fairways & Greens 4ever

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

But to state he is "done" after shooting within a stroke or 2 of the #1 and #3 in the world seems a bit biased (cough, hating)

No?

Do you really think people are basing that conclusion solely on these two rounds? I've always been of the opinion that no one knows what the future holds for any player but he certainly looks closer to "done" then primed to be among the games elite again.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

A couple of points. Tiger's demise is not a tragedy for the game. The game is bigger than any individual and always has been.

Secondly, Butch is no guarantee to fix Tiger. He can't get Jimmy Walker to hit a fairway, so why do people think he can straighten out Tiger?

TaylorMade Qi10 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
Bridgestone Tour RX

No?

Do you really think people are basing that conclusion solely on these two rounds? I've always been of the opinion that no one knows what the future holds for any player but he certainly looks closer to "done" then primed to be among the games elite again.

Well, sure.

But, Im biased ; )

I will say that this run could be the swan song.

But TW is a tough sob.

I give it 50/50 that he finally can stay healthy. Maybe even get stronger. Sustained play without fear of pain. Even if thats the case, hes not going to kill it like in the past. But, just hoping, one day soon, we see him out there in the zone. Just playing with drive and intensity.

Just want to see him like, "&ď$@! Im felling good, lets get some $hit done"

No?

I don't think people's opinions are based solely on what he did in this particular tournament, it's based on the recent history say last few years or so. There has been really nothing to indicate that he will compete with the top golfers in the world again, or even win a tournament.

All the Best,

RP

So if I was scratch you might give more credibility to my observations?

Yep....

Regards,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24