Wilson Staff.... from zero to hero

nic19

I have been playing the FG62s (awesome) since they came out and looking at the V6 now to upgrade Gold rated Players iron by Golf Digest (this year). I play DG S300, but woild like to get the KBS C-Taper in the V6 if i go that route. Agree on the website, but called the company yesterday, they will give you options, but there is an upcharge depending on you preference.

On another note, I grabbed a wilson putter off the rack at th PGA Superstore after looking at irons,,,,,,,,,,, rollled it 3 times making 2 of the 3 from 30 feet, or the farthest hole. i had to buy ($99) the putter even though i have custom putters, never heard of it, Southside Infinity. Hoping to test this weekend.

The new models of putters this year are awesome as well!

What new model putters are you referring to? The infinite line has been out a few yrs. now. Just curious.

Tried to post a couple pics but they're not showing up. Look at the W/S site, they're on there. The Bean and Mid Slant are new this year in the Infinite line.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't played a ball other than the Z-Star XV in many years. The feedback here makes me want to give the FG Tour a run...

If a reason you're playing the XV is due to the spin of the "regular" ZStar being a bit much for your game, the FG Tour may not be a good fit for you. It will probably spin more than the ZStar XV.

Side note: No disdain for Srixon here; I have used, and well liked, the ZStar XV in the past. Have a dozen lying in wait in my ball stash :)

+1. the FG Tour feels like a marshmallow compared to the XV and seems to spin a lot more than even the Z-Star. I love 'em - grab a sleeve and give them a go.

I second the lack of info on the website. Really sad Wilson Staff. Also, no customization really available like shafts. That's a drawback too.

THey have shaft options on the webpage. They just don't offer them free, but they are charging less than the other OEMS. after you order the clubs custom, they end up as being around the same price as the OEMs that have "free" shaft upgrades

Where? And I can't see any specs for lofts on these. Does anyone know the lofts?

Callaway XR16 Fuji 60
TM M2 3 wood
King Cobra F6 5 wood
Titleist 816 H1 21 hybrid
Wilson Staff V6 Forged 5-GW
Mizuno T7 56
Evnroll ER1

I grew up playing Wilson... then they went through the boxset debacle now Staff are producing incredible products at a lower price range. I truly think value for money Wilson and Ping are leading the field. Thoughts?

Shows ho(w) silly we all are. Sure the old Wilsons were great clubs - Langer was a user in his prime. These new things have been out for years, Rick sticks em on youtube and now we all want em. I find that amusing :)

Personally I first got them about 6 months after they came out. Sold them because I thought I wasn't good enough to play them, used a mess of different irons that I started playing worse with, and re bought them last December haha. Haven't played better in years. Not saying it's directly this club, but the shape of it. I hit irons better that have a smaller sole. The F5s, Callaway apex, and Nike vapor pro combos were a bit to big sole wise and I was thinning a lot of shots.

Forever Changing at this point.......

I grew up playing Wilson... then they went through the boxset debacle now Staff are producing incredible products at a lower price range. I truly think value for money Wilson and Ping are leading the field. Thoughts?

Shows ho(w) silly we all are. Sure the old Wilsons were great clubs - Langer was a user in his prime. These new things have been out for years, Rick sticks em on youtube and now we all want em. I find that amusing :)

From hero to zero as my bias flares. Like Sean said, all oems are making good/decent equipment these days. But good luck thriving in a saturated market making clubs for a game that isn't growing at a rate fast enough for all of these companies to capitalize.

They've always made decent irons, but they have such a stigma with the brand that it's going to take a lot more than decent products at at decent price point to bring them back to status.

Nobody gives a shat about Padraig, Streelman etc. If they want the consumer's $, they're going to have to invest on caliber and influential players. Hell, I for one believe they should leave the driver market all together after that act of desperation TV show. Have a TV show for a new CEO, and then maybe something can happen.

@therealping

The thing is, Wilson has shown that it doesn't really need huge portion of the market to survive. Their other sports and companies that they own (especially the baseball market) carries them. I don't have any numbers for their golf division but withbhow little they spend on marketing via the tour presence, I would assume their losses aren't that bad.

Where? And I can't see any specs for lofts on these. Does anyone know the lofts?

spec for the FG Tour V6 including lofts: http://www.wilson.com/en-au/golf/irons/feel/3101787/#specifications

The great thing is the specs for the players category are the same for the f5s and c200 I believe. They keep lofts generally traditional (for today's standards anyways) and I haven't seen any noticeable distance loss. The only thing with the f5s are with the weaker lofts I was getting a really high ball flight that just got killed when it's windy.

From hero to zero as my bias flares. Like Sean said, all oems are making good/decent equipment these days. But good luck thriving in a saturated market making clubs for a game that isn't growing at a rate fast enough for all of these companies to capitalize.

They've always made decent irons, but they have such a stigma with the brand that it's going to take a lot more than decent products at at decent price point to bring them back to status.

Nobody gives a shat about Padraig, Streelman etc. If they want the consumer's $, they're going to have to invest on caliber and influential players. Hell, I for one believe they should leave the driver market all together after that act of desperation TV show. Have a TV show for a new CEO, and then maybe something can happen.

Don't dismiss the traction that YouTube gives to sales. Those guys such as Shiels and Crossfield almost have a captive audience with their videos. Now that both are testing Wilson product, the name is getting back out there. Backing this up, Wilson are producing quality equipment that stands up and at a generally lower price point. My club has just started stocking Wilson Staff for the first time and product is shifting...outselling Titleist and Ping. Having Tour players playing a particular manufacturer's gear is overrated as a marketing tool these days. None of the guys I play with neither know or care what the top players are playing. If they are in the market for new gear, they watch the YouTube reviews to get an idea, then go and test as many clubs as they can and pick the one that best suits. Wilson has been canny getting their name talked about again and hopefully it will generate more sales and more choice for us consumers.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

First off, there never was a "box set debacle," lol

Wilson ALWAYS made box sets going back to the 50's and sold them out of KMart, Sears and later WalMart,i.e., Sam's Blue Ridge irons and Patty Berg's irons however Berg's name was also on the Staff female Dynapower Fluid Feels and also the Dynapower "Weight backs(with circular weight on the faceback toe location, my Teacher and his Bro, Pete and Sam Snead, Played the Men's version, referred to as the "button backs").

Staff was always separate and Staff has never made anything but World Class blades and in the 90's on, a World Class CB and later a fine GI iron(C series) and SGI iron(D series), which got great reviews and kicked arse in Europe.

Their woods and then metals have always been "meh" however their "Fybrid" was a fantastic hybrid as were the other hybrids released in that time span-

I Played Staff for my first 20 years in the game and Mizzy the next 26 but finished my last year with the Fg 59 Tour Blades in the bag, my second fave Stff All-Timer, after the iron that they were patterned after, the 1978-80 Tour Blades.

Yes, Staff has had cretons at the helm for almost two decades and continue to to this day however Staff has never faltered with their blades, MCB's, CB's and wedges-

At one point(1992), 144 out of the top 200 PGA Players bagged Staff wedges. The highest penetration Vokey has ever had is 39%

So yea, Wilson has made box sets since the 1950's however any Player who Played Staff never ever said "Wilson" when asked what irons they Played-

When asked, I said either "Staff" or "The Tour Blade," and any Player in the mix knew exactly who I was talkin about-

A Lexus owner doesn't say "Toyota" when asked what they drive ;)

All the Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

My interest is peaked with some of the new irons, but their web site is so pathetic I just can't take the company seriously. I mean there are other really poor OEM information sites out there but this one shows a whole new level indifference to what seems like a terrific product. I'm not concerned about resale value, but the limited availability to test and the companies indifference to their product are huge turnoffs for me.

Still better than TM or Nike (when they still used to make golf Equipment)

I agree that Nike didn't have the best information for their clubs, but Wilson is definitely not better than Nike was when it comes to golf equipment info. Not even close.

If you're referring to website info, Wilson is/was better than Nike. Nike was the worst by far for golf equipment info. You couldn't even find specs on Nike stuff on their own site ! Lol !

Wilson ALWAYS made box sets going back to the 59's and sold them out of KMart, Sears and later WalMart,i.e., the Sam's Blue Ridge irons and Patty Berg's irons however Berg's name was also on the Staff female Dynapower Fluid Feels and also the Dynapower "Weight backs(with circular weight on the faceback toe location, my Teacher and his Bro, Pete and damn snead Played the Men's version).

Staff was always separate and Staff has never made anything but World Class blades and in the 90's on, a World Class CB-

Their woods and then metals have always been "meh" however their "Fybrid" was a fantastic hybrid as were the other hybrids released in that time span-

I Played Staff for my first 20 years in the game and Mizzy the next 26 but finished my last year with the Fg 59 Tour Blades in the bag, my second fave Stff All-Timer, after the iron that they were patterned after, the 1978-80 Tour Blades.

Yes, Staff HS had cretons at the helm for almost two decades and continue to to this day however Staff has never faltered with their blades, MCB's, CB's and wedges-

At one point(1992), 144 out of the top 200 PGA Players bagged Staff wedges. The highest penetration Vokey has ever had is 39%

So yea, Wilson has made box sets since the 1950's however any Player who Played Staff never ever said "Wilson" when asked what irons they Played-

When asked, I said either "Staff" or "The Tour Blade," and any Player in the mix know exactly who I was talkin about-

All the Best,

RP

I feel slightly stupid saying Wilson now instead of Staff... ?

My interest is peaked with some of the new irons, but their web site is so pathetic I just can't take the company seriously. I mean there are other really poor OEM information sites out there but this one shows a whole new level indifference to what seems like a terrific product. I'm not concerned about resale value, but the limited availability to test and the companies indifference to their product are huge turnoffs for me.

I agree that Nike didn't have the best information for their clubs, but Wilson is definitely not better than Nike was when it comes to golf equipment info. Not even close.

If you're referring to website info, Wilson is/was better than Nike. Nike was the worst by far for golf equipment info. You couldn't even find specs on Nike stuff on their own site ! Lol !

Disregard last post, I can't find specs on Wilson site either.. You are correct sir ! Their site does suck !

Wilson ALWAYS made box sets going back to the 59's and sold them out of KMart, Sears and later WalMart,i.e., the Sam's Blue Ridge irons and Patty Berg's irons however Berg's name was also on the Staff female Dynapower Fluid Feels and also the Dynapower "Weight backs(with circular weight on the faceback toe location, my Teacher and his Bro, Pete and damn snead Played the Men's version).

Staff was always separate and Staff has never made anything but World Class blades and in the 90's on, a World Class CB-

Yes, Staff HS had cretons at the helm for almost two decades and continue to to this day however Staff has never faltered with their blades, MCB's, CB's and wedges-

When asked, I said either "Staff" or "The Tour Blade," and any Player in the mix know exactly who I was talkin about-

All the Best,

RP

Not at all Bro, cuz you're probably younger and Staff was a nonentity in the market place when you were growing up versus in the 60-early 90's, they were the Top Dogs-

When a college kid asked me in 2012 what Iron that I had in the bag and I replied "The Tour Blade(Fg59)," he looked at me and chirped "Daaaaah, I figured it was a Tour Blade, which one?"

I felt old, stupid and out of touch, lol

Until I shut him out on 16, lmao?

I just got a set of hardly Played Fg 100 Tours today and I can't see, walk and chew gum at the same time, much less swing a club fast enough to Play a blade, haha

Hey, it gives me something to work towards :)

Stay well my Friend?

My Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

All the Best,

RP

Not at all Bro, cuz you're probably younger and Staff was a nonentity in the market place when you were growing up versus in the 60-early 90's, they were the Top Dogs-

When a college kid asked me in 2012 what Iron that I had in the bag and I replied "The Tour Blade(Fg59)," he looked at me and chirped "Daaaaah, I figured it was a Tour Blade, which one?"

I just got a set of hardly Played Fg 100 Tours today and I can't see, walk and chew gum at the same time, much less swing a club fast enough to Play a blade, haha

Stay well my Friend?

My Best,

RP

grew up in the 80s... i bought the V6s today .. saw you had the F5s too. Bought he other Crossover iron c200. I think we re on a Staff binge?. I hope you re doing ok mate!!

All the Best,

RP

EXACTLY!!!......lol

All the Best,

RP

Stay well my Friend?

My Best,

RP

grew up in the 80s... i bought the V6s today .. saw you had the F5s too. Bought he other Crossover iron c200. I think we re on a Staff binge?. I hope you re doing ok mate!!

Those 6's are gorgeous!!

Enjoy them!!

You grew up towards the end of the Staff glory years, which while Payne Played em as did John Daly in his Open Championship victory, they were becoming insignificant in the Pro shops, which was their death nell, and though their wedges dominated the Tour into the mid 90's their irons started to disappear from the shop floors.

Had I had my choice, I would have chosen the 6's however the 5's were a gift from my former driving range partner and he was very kind to even think of me so I feel like a dick even saying that though I've never Played anything but a blade and while I realize that those days are in all likelihood over, I would like a nice Player's MCB or CB and maybe the 5's are the best irons for me, though I've gotta set of Mizzy 25's, lol

The male ego is a very screwed up animal, lol-

What other irons did you hit or look at?

Did you hit the Fg T 5's?

How did they stack up against the 6's?

Have a great evening :)

My Best,

RP

Disregard last post, I can't find specs on Wilson site either.. You are correct sir ! Their site does suck !

See I can respect another golfer that can admit when they were wrong. Lol! Wilson and Nike were horrible at the golf spec sharing part of the business. Lol

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

All the Best,

RP

Stay well my Friend?

My Best,

RP

Those 6's are gorgeous!!

Enjoy them!!

You grew up towards the end of the Staff glory years, which while Payne Played em as did John Daly in his Open Championship victory, they were becoming insignificant in the Pro shops, which was their death nell, and though their wedges dominated the Tour into the mid 90's their irons started to disappear from the shop floors.

Had I had my choice, I would have chosen the 6's however the 5's were a gift from my former driving range partner and he was very kind to even think of me so I feel like a dick even saying that though I've never Played anything but a blade and while I realize that those days are in all likelihood over, I would like a nice Player's MCB or CB and maybe the 5's are the best irons for me, though I've gotta set of Mizzy 25's, lol

The male ego is a very screwed up animal, lol-

What other irons did you hit or look at?

Did you hit the Fg T 5's?

How did they stack up against the 6's?

Have a great evening :)

My Best,

RP

they re great ... just preffered the looks of the V6. I bought C200s and weakened the loft on them. Perfect for golf in the freezing cold UK winter. When I was young I used to drool over sokme of the blades that Staff had. My Father loved Staff too so theres a connection to him.

4ab2e07605bca99b59477d2b9dd39b3a.jpg

Until Rick put the new V6's on YouTube I had not even seen them. Heres a photo of my Staff Tour Blades I learned how to play golf with. 2 iron and all. Reshafted with some S300's.

I currently play the DG Pro shaft, so this is kinda a no brainer for me to perhaps conclude my playing career with Staffs, as it began some 30+ years ago.

Callaway XR16 Fuji 60
TM M2 3 wood
King Cobra F6 5 wood
Titleist 816 H1 21 hybrid
Wilson Staff V6 Forged 5-GW
Mizuno T7 56
Evnroll ER1

So after a very comprehensive and precise fitting with Brad Syslo from Wilson Staff grassroots division, got a set of FG Tour V6 5-PW irons in stock DG AMT shafts. Three rounds of golf in Korea planned for this week, so will update with results, but the test round from Saturday yielded a "getting to know you" front nine that was interesting followed by a 3 over back nine where I hit some noteworthy iron shots (along with a fix to my driver swing that had me hitting from the fairway on most holes). I'm pumped to see what these irons will do for my game this season! Keep you guys posted.

Speaking of Wilson staff... look at this beauty I found recently.

108c7dee863e1e28d7e5390b6df7fd28.jpg

I've been playing the FG-62s for the past year and a half. Love them! Every time I think about changing irons, I just grab a stick from the bag and look down at the head from address, and think how crazy I would be to change from such perfection! ;)

I do wish the FG TOUR 100s were available for us lefties. However, the release of the newer milled 8802 in lefty has me holding out hope that a new lefty blade iron is in my future!

It's all I have left, since Hogan folded :(