2017 Srixon Z star XV

kjrules

I finally got to try my 17 xv today. My overall summary is that I don't see much difference in itvs V1x (15 version). Some may say that is a good thing...i.e. for $8 less you get essentially the same ball. I would tend to agree with that, except I was hoping to like something about it more than the V1x. Both are a little hard to me. Both check up very nicely. Both give me really good driver distance. All in all I got almost exactly what I expected out of this ball. I much prefer the xv over the new TP5x. That ball didn't really give me any distance gains, and didn't check up enough for me on chips and wedges. The xv and the v1x are long off the tee and check up very nicely on short irons and down (and are good off the putter speed-wise but a little clicky for my tastes.

I'd like to try the regular z-star as I'm coming to appreciate the soft feel of V1. In fact, after all of my testing lately I think I've landed on 17 v1 (or z-star). My favorite ball of all time was Hex Black Tour but Cally stopped making those so I've been searching for a replacement for about a year now. I think I'm down to z-star or v1...anyone have a quick comparison?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weird I just got 1 dozen white zstars and 1 dozen yellow xv delivererd, directly from srixon. I have no idea why. I would never order yellow balls! And don't remember entering any contest!? I am really confused. Lol.

Where are u in California? Maybe I would trade some white for the yellow?

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

Weird I just got 1 dozen white zstars and 1 dozen yellow xv delivererd, directly from srixon. I have no idea why. I would never order yellow balls! And don't remember entering any contest!? I am really confused. Lol.

Where are u in California? Maybe I would trade some white for the yellow?

Yea I would trade. PM me.

F9 driver
king LTD 3 wood
F6 hybrid. vts silver
Z565. recoil 95
Pur wedges
Piretti Matera

I just got the same thing in the mail. Not sure why either, but I am super excited to try them! Thanks Srixon!

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi WB 63 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
Toulon First Run Las Vegas DB

Pro V1

I just got a half dozen XVs from my shop credit and put one in play on back nine. Nice performance but a little on the hard side feel wise, like a ProVx. I don't mind the feel, but after reading this thread I was expecting a softer feel. I also got a couple of regular Z stars so I will compare the two and decide what my new gamer is.

Same here. Came home from playing a couple days ago. Wife said FedEx had delivered a package for me. 1 dozen white Z Stars. 1 dozen yellow Z Star XV. I sorta remember filling out an on-line survey for Srixon some time ago. Don't know if that was what triggered the free balls. Whatever, I am so appreciative of Srixon and the opportunity to try their premium golf balls. I've played ProV's for years and am stoked to put the Z Star and Z Star XV in play.

I received the box this past Friday, Z-Star XV, I did my testing versus the Chrome Soft X, B330S, K-Sig and V1X...

Overall: I think Srixon has a winner here, very solid overall golf ball, durable, great distance off the tee, softer feel, spin on approach shots and off the tee was great, very solid off the putter, not clicky at all, I will definitely play it, it may be my gamer for the rest of the year...again thanks to GolfWRX and Srixon for the opportunity...

Great review man - Thank you for all that detail! Have you compared the XV to the 2016 Chrome Soft (NON X version) by chance? I personally hate the CSX - spins waaay too much for me and isnt is long off the driver as the regular CS. Everybody seems to be comparing the Chrome Soft X to the ZStar XV, but the much better comparison is the regular Chrome Soft to the XV..

I play the Chrome Soft now and still get a little too much greenside spin with it with my short irons (Im spinning back off the front of greens with the CS), so Im looking for someone who might be able to weigh in on a comparison of short iron spin (8i - LW full swings) between the XV and CS. Anyone got that? If so, thanks!

First, sorry for the late reply, yes I have played the regular 2016 CS, the XV is a bit firmer and spins less as well, the CS is great for colder temps, it worked perfectly for me in 50* range weather...that said I just tried the new FG Tour golf ball given to me by a Wilson rep and I was very impressed, give those a try as well, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised (not as expensive either)...good luck.

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

I just got a half dozen XVs from my shop credit and put one in play on back nine. Nice performance but a little on the hard side feel wise, like a ProVx. I don't mind the feel, but after reading this thread I was expecting a softer feel. I also got a couple of regular Z stars so I will compare the two and decide what my new gamer is.

To me, the XV is about the same as the previous model in terms of hardness. The new Z star is noticeably softer than the XV and might be a bit softer than the previous Z star.

Titleist TSR4, 7.25*, Aldila Rogue Black 95 MSI 70 S
Titleist TS3, 14.25*, Speeder VC 8.2 Tour Spec X
Titleist 818 H2 17*, Speeder VC 8.8 HB Tour Spec S
Mizuno MP H5, 3 iron, C Taper Lite X
Mizuno MP H5 (4&5), MP 5 (6-PW), DG X100 SSx1
Cleveland RTX6 54/12 (bent to 53*) Raw & 58/10 Black, DG Spinner
Piretti Potenza 1.5
Ball - Titleist AVX Yellow

I also received a dozen Yellow XV and a dozen Z stars. May have been through a WRX give away but not sure. The xv's are great I have to figure out the spin a little more but distance and flight are perfect. This will be my gamer for the season, but will test out the regular z stars here and there to see the approach and wedge control differences.

Haven't tried the 2017 Z-Star XV yet. Definitely want to try the new 2017 Z-Star XV and TP5/TP5X because it seems both are are getting really good reviews.

Been using the Srixon Z-Star XV for last couple of years and it has been one of my favorite balls. Good distance, low spin, stable trajectories, stable in the wind, good feel around the greens, durable, etc.

I think the 2015 XV was the best ball ever made. It was firm enough that you could really hit it... when it was hit dead on the screws it has a wonderful feel. It also could spin just fine. was very stable in the wind, and the rain. I have not tried the new one, as I still have about 6 dozen of the 2015 model, and 6 dozen Qstars that I bought just because it was 13 dollars a dozen, with personalization...

But by the time I run through this ammo, and discover that the Qstar just isn't good enough, the new Zstar might be available in 3 dozen ammo boxes from RBG... :thumbsup:

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

Same here. Came home from playing a couple days ago. Wife said FedEx had delivered a package for me. 1 dozen white Z Stars. 1 dozen yellow Z Star XV. I sorta remember filling out an on-line survey for Srixon some time ago. Don't know if that was what triggered the free balls. Whatever, I am so appreciative of Srixon and the opportunity to try their premium golf balls. I've played ProV's for years and am stoked to put the Z Star and Z Star XV in play.

Me too. I called the number on the packing slip and they said it was a social media promotion SO number. So I guess I liked a post or filled out an online survey. But hey, I have used Srixon in the past and don't mind getting $80 in golf balls given to me.

Played this ball today, pretty impressed with it's distance and ability to hold firm greens. It does feel a little harder off the face of the putter so I had a little trouble judging distance on the quick greens we played on today but great ball all around. Long off the driver and controllable with the irons.

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

I really wish the XV was a touch softer. I love the performance but just can't get used to the feel. I may give the z star a go to see if I can get similar performance but better feel. Anyone done any side by side comparisons?

Previous to this year, I've only played xv and I didn't like its feel.. was too hard

This year I only played z star and feeling is really good and better than previous xv. Soft yet firm. I really like it

I really wish the XV was a touch softer. I love the performance but just can't get used to the feel. I may give the z star a go to see if I can get similar performance but better feel. Anyone done any side by side comparisons?

Previous to this year, I've only played xv and I didn't like its feel.. was too hard

This year I only played z star and feeling is really good and better than previous xv. Soft yet firm. I really like it

How does it compare in regards to performance? Are they similar or is one drastically different?

I've got some trial packs still in the closet after trying for a few rounds and the Z series are really good balls but I keep going back to the B330S '14 version as it's the ball for me I guess, just can't find anything that feels or performs better for my game. 3 dozen left and looking to buy another 6 dozen as they're some great deals out there.

I may be out of line here as I am going to make reference to the Z-Star instead of the XV. I bought 3 dozen of these and the first time I played it was in 50° weather. I shot a 80, but for some reason didn't want to keep them. It seemed like the trajectory was too low. Yesterday I decided to tee one up in 70+° weather and even though I shot a 82, I was much more impressed with the ball. The trajectory was fine. They say you should choose a ball from the green going back to the tee box. This is the best putting ball I've ever hit (Seemore putter with a milled steel face), and around the green it is a really good performer. It has plenty of spin and grip on chips and short pitches. The fact that I hit 10 of 14 fairways didn't hurt my opinion of it either (low side spin off the tee). As far as distance off the tee, It seemed to be within a few yards + or - the other balls I have been playing e.g. ProV1X, MTB, Chrome soft. I like the type of urethane cover on these Srixons.

Don't forget when playing below about 60 something degrees you don't get the normal distance you see when playing at 70 degrees and above.

I love the new Z Stars and the XV. I've done about the same testing as you did. Srixon was the best followed by Snell MTB and third was Chrome Soft.

But I did notice that the Z Star does have a lower trajectory compared to the XV.

Strange, according Srixon, the XV should launch around 0.7 degree lower off of the driver, than the Z-Star...

...was your observation according trajectory with irons?

Overall flight path off my driver is where I saw the difference with the Z Star being less peak height than the XV. Gap wedge saw XV fly a little higher.

These are just observations of my swing results. Yours may vary.

...interesting - what is your swing speed, and have you tested both at the same time, on the same tee box?

My driver SS is 112. Hit both at same time back to back off same tee box and fairway.

Driver: TM M1
3 Wood: TM M1
Irons: Cobra King 3-PW, Tour Trusty GW, PM Grind LW (Also have a set of Srixon 545's 3-PW)
Ball: Srixon Z star, CS, Q Star, Project A
Putter: Metal X #7
Bag: Sun Mountain C130 Stand

• 1 month later...

Wonder if anyone can help me here. Just today played with the Z Star XV Tour Yellow and it is an amazing ball. Distance is great, spin is great and it really does work its way through the wind. I am a 105mph driver speed so I was a little worried about not compressing it, but had no problems at all.

My question is: I received two dozen of the new Z Stars in the mail from Srixon and have no idea how I got them. Has anyone else had this happen? Only thing I can think of is that I contacted them the week before about getting driver and 3wood weights for my 545 clubs and maybe this was a thank you. Or maybe I got lucky and won some giveaway that had no mention of it on the package I got.

T Bone Steak, Cheese Eggs, and Welch's Grape

Taylormade Stealth 2+ - MCA Kai'li Blue 60s

Callaway Epic Speed 3w & 5w - Project X HZRDUS Smoke im10 70s 

Taylormade '21 P790 4-gw - MCA MMT 105s

Taylormade Hi Toe 2 Raw 54, 58 - Aldila NV Black 105s

Wilson Staff Infitinte Buckingham

Srixon Z Star 🔷

Many people have had the same thing happen... must be a promotion from Srixon, possibly through the WRX member list.

Titleist TSR4, 7.25*, Aldila Rogue Black 95 MSI 70 S
Titleist TS3, 14.25*, Speeder VC 8.2 Tour Spec X
Titleist 818 H2 17*, Speeder VC 8.8 HB Tour Spec S
Mizuno MP H5, 3 iron, C Taper Lite X
Mizuno MP H5 (4&5), MP 5 (6-PW), DG X100 SSx1
Cleveland RTX6 54/12 (bent to 53*) Raw & 58/10 Black, DG Spinner
Piretti Potenza 1.5
Ball - Titleist AVX Yellow

Wonder if anyone can help me here. Just today played with the Z Star XV Tour Yellow and it is an amazing ball. Distance is great, spin is great and it really does work its way through the wind. I am a 105mph driver speed so I was a little worried about not compressing it, but had no problems at all.

My question is: I received two dozen of the new Z Stars in the mail from Srixon and have no idea how I got them. Has anyone else had this happen? Only thing I can think of is that I contacted them the week before about getting driver and 3wood weights for my 545 clubs and maybe this was a thank you. Or maybe I got lucky and won some giveaway that had no mention of it on the package I got.

You were a winner through Golfwrx. There is a list of the guys who won in the tour forum and your name is listed.

Titleist TSR3 10* Tensei 1K Black 65

Titleist TSR2 16.5* Tensei 1K Black 75

Taylormade Qi10 Tour 19.5 Tensei Blue 80

Ping i230 4-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist SM9 50F/54S/58M

PXG Closer

Titleist Pro V1

You were a winner through Golfwrx. There is a list of the guys who won in the tour forum and your name is listed.

That is great! I am taking them on a four round trip through Bradenton, FL this weekend. Love the Z Star XV

Can you post the link to the giveaway? I contacted the rep at Srixon thanking him for the balls since I thought it was a cool gift from the customer service department and he must think I am crazy.

T Bone Steak, Cheese Eggs, and Welch's Grape

Taylormade Stealth 2+ - MCA Kai'li Blue 60s

Callaway Epic Speed 3w & 5w - Project X HZRDUS Smoke im10 70s 

Taylormade '21 P790 4-gw - MCA MMT 105s

Taylormade Hi Toe 2 Raw 54, 58 - Aldila NV Black 105s

Wilson Staff Infitinte Buckingham

Srixon Z Star 🔷

Titleist TSR3 10* Tensei 1K Black 65

Titleist TSR2 16.5* Tensei 1K Black 75

Taylormade Qi10 Tour 19.5 Tensei Blue 80

Ping i230 4-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist SM9 50F/54S/58M