In Praise of Stretching

I hate to write this. Every time I write something where I think I've found something, poof it vanishes for 3 weeks.

I started playing in a club where I had to move back to 6500-6800 yards. I had been playing closer to 6100 and had a 8.8 index there. I was getting killed in the first few tournaments.

So I joined a gym. At 65 I am in better than average shape but not by a lot. Got a trainer who told me before I could think about strength I needed more range of motion and better posture. So I started rolling and stretching damn near every muscle group maybe 5 days a week.

I was pretty tight and didn't have great range of motion. In 6 weeks it's better.

Impact. Average good drive has gone from 220-230 to 240-250. Average good 8 iron from 125 to 140. For the first time in my life I am missing greens long.

Now, it's not only from stretching. I also realized I should just let the swing rip full speed and my mind set changed. Truth is, my swing is now solid enough to handle this, at last.

But there is no doubt in my mind that gaining freedom and range of motion in legs, hips, back, shoulders, side, hands increases swing speed.

I am about ready to add strength and speed swings. It's pretty damn exciting to have a 5 iron instead of a 3h or 4 wood into long par fours. I don't see why I can't hit it 250 - 260 as a standard drive that I can keep in play.

Anyway I just wanted to tell people that in my experience if you're seeking more speed and especially if you haven't really worked on your range of motion that I think it's worth the time and effort to do it.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

congrats wmblake, that is exciting! I'm 20 years your junior but i would bet dollars to donuts your 6 week program has youfar more limber than I am right now. I really need to do something like this. After a day of yard work or a spring walk, I feel like I've been hit by a bus.

Keep it up, 260 is just around the corner.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

Petunia, that Miyahira article was interesting. I have been asking myself about how to think the next phases through intelligently. Have you done his fascia stretching program?

I watch some people in the gym with incredible hip mobility (and upper body thoracic and shoulder mobility). With some you can just see how they can deliver speed through a range of motions. It's like their whole 'system' of motion is connected.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

congrats wmblake, that is exciting! I'm 20 years your junior but i would bet dollars to donuts your 6 week program has youfar more limber than I am right now. I really need to do something like this. After a day of yard work or a spring walk, I feel like I've been hit by a bus.

Keep it up, 260 is just around the corner.

Kymar I think there's something really great overall to be gained from extending range of motion and improving posture. More energy, etc. If I could go back to your age one of the things I'd insist that I do with diligence is work on this rigorously. Of course that's easy to say and hard to do when your life is really busy!

PS: I walked 27 yeaterday. That bus that hit you also hit me.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

wmblake, congrats to the first wave of results, and don't stop working your @ss off. keep us updated 12 weeks, 18 weeks, etc. down the line. :good:

Thx Kenny. I will do that.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Petunia, that Miyahira article was interesting. I have been asking myself about how to think the next phases through intelligently. Have you done his fascia stretching program?

I watch some people in the gym with incredible hip mobility (and upper body thoracic and shoulder mobility). With some you can just see how they can deliver speed through a range of motions. It's like their whole 'system' of motion is connected.

I've done some of the resistive stretching that Bob Cooley developed (one of my Stretching and Mobility teachers was doing their online course). But mostly, I've been doing Yoga since August. The Yoga, especially the Yin style classes, has helped me regain all the flexibility I had as a kid, and then some (I'm 60).

Before I got into Yoga and Tai Chi, I was doing a lot of deadlifting, primarily, and squats, Oly lifts, and bodyweight exercises. I hadn't played golf for about nine years during this time, so when I returned to the game, it's hard to say if getting stronger had helped my game. I had lost a lot of the flexibility I had and that got on my nerves when trying to get my game back. Getting a lot more flexible, through Yoga and ditching the weight lifting, has at least removed that irritation.

Here's another article on fascia, by Tom Myers, that may interest you. It talks about the various considerations in training fascia - http://www.chronicpainrelease.com/2012/07/03/fascial-fitness/

I tend to think golf is mostly skill. There are shortcomings that can inhibit the development of skill, but once those are addressed, any further gains in strength and/or flexibility, I suspect, go mostly toward increasing one's margins. (I don't think that about speed. I think there's always room for more speed.)

I've done some of the resistive stretching that Bob Cooley developed (one of my Stretching and Mobility teachers was doing their online course). But mostly, I've been doing Yoga since August. The Yoga, especially the Yin style classes, has helped me regain all the flexibility I had as a kid, and then some (I'm 60).

Before I got into Yoga and Tai Chi, I was doing a lot of deadlifting, primarily, and squats, Oly lifts, and bodyweight exercises. I hadn't played golf for about nine years during this time, so when I returned to the game, it's hard to say if getting stronger had helped my game. I had lost a lot of the flexibility I had and that got on my nerves when trying to get my game back. Getting a lot more flexible, through Yoga and ditching the weight lifting, has at least removed that irritation.

Here's another article on fascia, by Tom Myers, that may interest you. It talks about the various considerations in training fascia - http://www.chronicpainrelease.com/2012/07/03/fascial-fitness/

I tend to think golf is mostly skill. There are shortcomings that can inhibit the development of skill, but once those are addressed, any further gains in strength and/or flexibility, I suspect, go mostly toward increasing one's margins. (I don't think that about speed. I think there's always room for more speed.)

This is all very interesting. Thanks very much for opening my eyes to it! It makes sense intuitively and makes me think that training of the whole body as an interconnected system of movement is maybe the right frame.

I totally agree golf is a skill. This new flexibility (and mindset of speed) is only as good as the mechanics that empower it. All the work I have put into building a decent swing (or at least better swing) gets the payoff thru being in better balance and with increased mobility.

Thx!

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Intu-flow as a mobility increase is superior

I am sure there are many systems that are superior to what I am doing. I looked intu flow up but what I read was pretty sales oriented so I couldn't get the gist of what it is. But I like the idea of seeing movement mobility posture strength as something that you train in an interconnected fashion.

As with EVERYTHING now, there are a million experts with detailed approaches. From coffee makers to exercise programs to golf swings.

For me right now the key is sustaining and building a practice or sets of practices. This will take some time!

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

I hate to write this. Every time I write something where I think I've found something, poof it vanishes for 3 weeks.

I started playing in a club where I had to move back to 6500-6800 yards. I had been playing closer to 6100 and had a 8.8 index there. I was getting killed in the first few tournaments.

So I joined a gym. At 65 I am in better than average shape but not by a lot. Got a trainer who told me before I could think about strength I needed more range of motion and better posture. So I started rolling and stretching damn near every muscle group maybe 5 days a week.

I was pretty tight and didn't have great range of motion. In 6 weeks it's better.

Impact. Average good drive has gone from 220-230 to 240-250. Average good 8 iron from 125 to 140. For the first time in my life I am missing greens long.

Now, it's not only from stretching. I also realized I should just let the swing rip full speed and my mind set changed. Truth is, my swing is now solid enough to handle this, at last.

But there is no doubt in my mind that gaining freedom and range of motion in legs, hips, back, shoulders, side, hands increases swing speed.

I am about ready to add strength and speed swings. It's pretty damn exciting to have a 5 iron instead of a 3h or 4 wood into long par fours. I don't see why I can't hit it 250 - 260 as a standard drive that I can keep in play.

Anyway I just wanted to tell people that in my experience if you're seeking more speed and especially if you haven't really worked on your range of motion that I think it's worth the time and effort to do it.

Can you give a description of the types of stretching you are doing? Thx.

Sure.

First a lot of foam or lacrosse ball rolling. Lacrosse: feet, arms, scapula, neck, quads, chest. Ball on the floor or against a wall. Foam; front and back of upper/lower legs, and back. Slow movement, let it sink in. About 20 minutes.

Calves. Put toes up on a wall, heel on floor. one foot at a time. Move pelvis toward wall.

Ankles and front of lower legs. Sit on my feet, lean back.

Thighs. Feet behind me, kneeling, up against wall. Lean back, pelvis forward.

Hamstrings. Leg elevated, foot on a 2 foot high thing. Pull pelvis back.

Quads. Sitting on floor against a wall, one knee up, other leg cross over. Rest on hip with knee up. Pull on the crossed over leg, increase angle of the knee flex.

Back. Cobra. Cats and dogs. Hang from overhead bars

Chest - arms pull behind me. open the chest, pull shoulders back.

Side/lats (? - I am terrible at the proper names) - hold something mid torso high, rotate body away

Neck - rotate neck (up, side, down, side); pull left and right.

There are a couple with big rubber bands that I don't know how to describe. They focus on hip mobility.

This takes me about 40 minutes. I hold and burn and try to relax into it. Both the rolling and the stretching have been very helpful.

These are what I started with. I am now adding what are called 'mobility stretches' I am learning from a guy named Rob Harrand. I met him on another golf site. Since he's trying to make a go of this business, I won't describe his stretches or program (Drive 400), but it is much more focused on motion than holding stretches, then followed by swinging exercises. This feels like the next level. There is also a strength training part to his, but I am moving very slowly to this as I want to reduce the odds of hurting my back as much as possible. This program has a LOT of focus on hip and shoulder mobility. Rob believes the kind of stretches I started with are better for after a round, but for speed, the mobility stretches in his program get you more ready for explosive firing of motion.

Ok, hope that helps. It sure as hell has me excited. Shot a 38 on the front 9 in tournament from the 6500 tees. Best nine of my life, ball-striking wise.

The one other thing - and Monte has also talked about this. So does Rob. Go ahead and swing at it. I not only was longer in the tourney but straighter. The freedom to really let it rip - now this requires some technical skill to keep it in play (path/face have to be decent) but assuming that's decent, part of the deal is letting it really go.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Yep stretching and increasing range of motion is very important playing golf and avoiding injuries. If you are tight and inflexible it is obviously going to pull and stress joints and muscles more. Before, I would just stretch before a round a little bit. However, I was experiencing a lot of pain playing golf, back pain, spasms, etc. So, I made it a point to start a stretching program much more regularly. It definitely has helped. Less pain and getting my speed back.

Thanks for posting your routine. Do you think the improved range of motion has led to visible changes in your swing?

It's hard to see it on a camera, but it feels like there are changes, like in external rotation of r shoulder or l hip. The main thing is everything is looser, by a little. I was pretty tight, so it was easy to see some improvement from consistent effort. More is possible, that's for sure. This isn't only about golf, but overall health, too.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

wmblake2000

Congrats on...being motivated to...and actually getting around to doing this. You have far more will power than me. Keep it up.

It helps that I am semi-retired and that my wife also likes to go to the gym with me. This does take time, but it feels good to do it. Plus at this gym in Hermosa Beach, Ca, there are a LOT of incredible athletes, men and women, and they are inspiring.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

There are a lot of stretching routines on youtube for golf and other activities. I use one that is really easy to follow because it has a counter and goes through each stretch. It is great for a daily routine. Best to warm up before with some dynamic stretching or exercises. Also, I find hanging from a pull-up bar helps a lot to stretch the arms, shoulders and back. Your body does feel better and looser after stretching.

From my years, when I was much younger, of martial arts training I learned flexibility increases speed. You have the ability to create more distance. Also your muscles stay relaxed and a relaxed muscle is much quicker than a tight one. After all these years of not doing much flexibility training I am sure it would help with my game. Not only distance but control. All that small muscle which help stabilize things engage and gives you more control.

Everyone knows increased flexibility is a great thing for our golf game and overall health. The challenge is figuring out how to find the time and motivation to do it!

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Everyone knows increased flexibility is a great thing for our golf game and overall health. The challenge is figuring out how to find the time and motivation to do it!

Congratulations on your progress & thanks for posting this! Question: do you primarily do this in a gym or at home? Do you think there is a time of day when your body is more receptive? Reason I ask is my gym time is somewhat limited due to the distance from my home, so I'd like to do the bulk of my flexibility work at home & use my gym time for strength & cardio. I'd also like to do it first thing in the morning but have always found it very difficult to begin limbering up right out of bed so I generally end up stretching in the evenings & if it's been a long day I don't get it done. Thanks in advance...

Congratulations on your progress & thanks for posting this! Question: do you primarily do this in a gym or at home? Do you think there is a time of day when your body is more receptive? Reason I ask is my gym time is somewhat limited due to the distance from my home, so I'd like to do the bulk of my flexibility work at home & use my gym time for strength & cardio. I'd also like to do it first thing in the morning but have always found it very difficult to begin limbering up right out of bed so I generally end up stretching in the evenings & if it's been a long day I don't get it done. Thanks in advance...

I primarily do this in the gym. If I bought a foam roller, I could do almost all the stuff I do at home, but I like the environment... it is part of what motivates me. I also go from the stretching to some strength and/or cardio on some days. When I do stretch at home, I do it after I shower which wakes me up and gets me a little looser. Maybe just start by getting a foam roller, and focus on a few specific areas, doing 5-6 core stretches. Spend 15 minutes on it after shower and before getting dressed.

But I am just getting started. My hope is in a year, I will have been consistent in keeping this up. Like Sean says, it feels good.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

I really don't understand the people who say stretching is bad. Most of them are probably younger and very flexible already. The older you get the more you realize how important it is.

Who says it's bad? I can't recall ever seeing that. Maybe some yoga poses require some baseline capacity to not create injury... I am sure there are better and lessor effective ways, but mobility and stretching seems to me to be pretty much all good, regardless of age.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W