2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

JACK Golf Channel (merged)

whr

Watching the second segment of "JACK" jogged my memory, when it got to the part about his having purchased land for Muirfield. My grandparents had a farm on Avery road (only a few miles from what is now Muirfield). In 1966, we were visiting them and my grandmother had 8-10 other ladies (either from her church or her Rebekah Lodge) there, assembling box lunches on a fairly large scale. My dad told me they were for Jack Nicklaus. It didn't make sense to me then, but the lunches were obviously for investors and other principals involved in his project.

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S) Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R) Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R) Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R) Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R) Ping Darby Sigma G

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great point etarv13 makes me ponder...who wins at Augusta or pick any course, current equipment...Jack of 1965-1966 vs Tiger of 2000-2001 who wins after 4 rounds?

If they played ten times they would both win more than once each, impossible to confidently predict one being better than the other. You hear the stories of how long Jack was off the tee, but then you watch the 97 Masters and can't possibly imagine anyone hitting it past Tiger that week. To do that at Augusta, to that field, at that age, in his first major, is mind boggling. All things considered, Tiger that week will never be equalled.

Great point etarv13 makes me ponder...who wins at Augusta or pick any course, current equipment...Jack of 1965-1966 vs Tiger of 2000-2001 who wins after 4 rounds?

Tiger

Captivating argument. Bet you were captain of the debate team.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

If they played ten times they would both win more than once each, impossible to confidently predict one being better than the other. You hear the stories of how long Jack was off the tee, but then you watch the 97 Masters and can't possibly imagine anyone hitting it past Tiger that week. To do that at Augusta, to that field, at that age, in his first major, is mind boggling. All things considered, Tiger that week will never be equalled.

he broke jack's record by only 1 that week ... on a course that was actually 55 yards shorter ...

tiger of 2000/2001 vs jack of 1966? ... not sure that's the best period of jack's career, peak wise ... jack actually won 3 straight majors himself, in 71/72 ... in 9 majors during that span, he won 4 and finished 2nd 3 other times, with a 5th and a 6th ... tiger won 5 of 9 in 2000/2001, with no 2nds and a 3rd, 5th, 7th, and 12th ... or 6 out of 9 with nothing else inside the top 20 ...

Absolutely captivating television to me. I routinely sit on my sofa "watching" TV with my iPad in my hand (on this forum half the time), but not for one second of any one of the three hours I spent watching this documentary. It reminded me of, and made me miss, the old footage that TGC used to air back in the late 90's when I was in high school, like Shell's Wonderful World of Golf and what not.

Absolutely captivating television to me. I routinely sit on my sofa "watching" TV with my iPad in my hand (on this forum half the time), but not for one second of any one of the three hours I spent watching this documentary. It reminded me of, and made me miss, the old footage that TGC used to air back in the late 90's when I was in high school, like Shell's Wonderful World of Golf and what not.

In the Hoofer

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 10.5° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-X
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X
TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X

Mizuno Pro 225 4i | UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype Utility 110F5

Mizuno Pro 221 5-PW | Project X Rifle 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM9 52°, 56°, 60° | Project X Rifle 6.0

Odyssey Works Tank Versa 2-Ball Fang
Titleist ProV1

he broke jack's record by only 1 that week ... on a course that was actually 55 yards shorter ...

tiger of 2000/2001 vs jack of 1966? ... not sure that's the best period of jack's career, peak wise ... jack actually won 3 straight majors himself, in 71/72 ... in 9 majors during that span, he won 4 and finished 2nd 3 other times, with a 5th and a 6th ... tiger won 5 of 9 in 2000/2001, with no 2nds and a 3rd, 5th, 7th, and 12th ... or 6 out of 9 with nothing else inside the top 20 ...

Check that.

Jack first time at St. Andrews in 64, came in 2nd.

Next time he played 6 years later is when he started picking a spot a little in front of his ball to aim.

Sanders putt makes you wretch. "I relive it every day"

Sam Snead footage is awesome,

"These bunkers look like they never saw a rake"

I completely agree with you. Just watching Sanders eyes tear up as he talked about missing that putt makes you realize the impact it had on him. Tough man, just tough.

Good article where he discusses it further:

http://www.dailymail...Old-Course.html

i remember reading in gdigest that hogan was watching at home and stood up from his chair, yelling at the tv for sanders to back away as he stood back in to make the putt ...

The way Hogan putted ... a 6 incher was a tester

Love the flying home from a golf tournament after a round to watch his boys play a football game and back the next morning to tee it up. Wow amazing man and father! Just so impressive.

what dad wouldn't do that if they had the means ... Nothing special there

Phil told us he flew home before a tee time once to be there for one of his kids 1st bowel movements and another time when Amy couldn't find the remote ...

Holy cow, those greens were slow and receptive at ANGC in his day! And putting with the pin in, no less!

Google the "stymie" and Bobby Jones video. Then you'll really see something.

EDIT: This will give you some idea

Cool video, thanks. It reminds me a lot of Jack's early major footage. Can you imagine how much easier it was to get up and down on greens like that?

It wasnt though at all. there were no square grooves or 2/3 piece balls or lob wedges. Highest loft back then was usually 54*...

I'd take a wound ball and a v-groove 54* wedge if you let me chip/pitch into those greens any day over getting up and down on a modern course. I'm not new to the game.

Either way, it was a great watch.

You wouldnt get up and down either way so... :taunt:

Check that.

ah, did not know that ... so the pga didn't realize it gets hot in florida in the summer ...

Love the flying home from a golf tournament after a round to watch his boys play a football game and back the next morning to tee it up. Wow amazing man and father! Just so impressive.

Phil told us he flew home before a tee time once to be there for one of his kids 1st bowel movements and another time when Amy couldn't find the remote ...

tiger

Check that.

ah, did not know that ... so the pga didn't realize it gets hot in florida in the summer ...

Or they realized the date of their championship could be moved around from time to time. They should do that more often.

That field ? Colin Montgomerie was 2nd favourite

tiger

haha ... Well played

Tiger
Captivating argument. Bet you were captain of the debate team.

No need to make an argument when you don't care who disagrees, and I was too busy playing golf to participate on the debate team

If you have any doubts about the golfing greatness of this man ....

, the 1986 US Masters full final round coverage - or just watch from 1.42.15 where Jack is 4 behind with 4 to play, chasing then World No 1, Seve Ballesteros. And the players in contention he has to beat: Ballesteros, Kite, Norman, Price, Watson, Pavin, Payne Stewart, Langer, Jay Haas .....!

Greatest of all time!

Cool comment. I'd still take my chances with a 54, balata, and slow af greens. Those dudes had it easy. Jack even admitted that he putted around bunkers; as the "best player ever."

One only needs to look at the golf swings of Fat Jack circa 1968 and Tiger circa 2000 to see everything he needs to see. One is a golfer, and the other is an athlete playing golf. There is no comparison. Never has been; never should be.

jack played every sport in hs in ohio, a large state full of athletes ... he was honorable all state as a basketball player his sr year ... he didn't have the same lean physique of tiger, but he was probably just as good an athlete ... doubt tiger could hit a baseball worth a damn or play lb ... the notion that jack didn't measure up to tiger's athleticism is more than bit misguided ...

jack played every sport in hs in ohio, a large state full of athletes ... he was honorable all state as a basketball player his sr year ... he didn't have the same lean physique of tiger, but he was probably just as good an athlete ... doubt tiger could hit a baseball worth a damn or play lb ... the notion that jack didn't measure up to tiger's athleticism is more than bit misguided ...

To say that guys of Jacks era are the same athletically is a stretch IMHO. Not to be racy but jack played sports in an era with white guy athleticism, I could play all state back then an I have no ups. This is the NBA championship team at the time

Notice anything.

Now Jack may have been good for his time, I cannot say he would be all state in the 90s when Jordan was coming up.

Not all who wander are lost.

M1 440 8.5 Kuru Kage X
TEE cb2 15 X
Taylormade M1 5 wood speeder S
Cobra amp cell pro 3-pw X100
Cobra Tour Trusty 53-58 X100
T.P Mills RS

To say that guys of Jacks era are the same athletically is a stretch IMHO. Not to be racy but jack played sports in an era with white guy athleticism, I could play all state back then an I have no ups. This is the NBA championship team at the time

Notice anything.

Now Jack may have been good for his time, I cannot say he would be all state in the 90s when Jordan was coming up.

It is not true that Jack played every sport in high school.

The white/black thing is really pointless. Comparatively, no question Jack was a better all around athlete than Tiger growing up, but in the end, who gives a damn.

Cool comment. I'd still take my chances with a 54, balata, and slow af greens. Those dudes had it easy. Jack even admitted that he putted around bunkers; as the "best player ever."

One only needs to look at the golf swings of Fat Jack circa 1968 and Tiger circa 2000 to see everything he needs to see. One is a golfer, and the other is an athlete playing golf. There is no comparison. Never has been; never should be.

Both golfers. Both different kinds of athletes.

Both golfers. Both different kinds of athletes.

Fair.

One of the athletes was markedly better. I think Golfweek had a cover after the 2000 US Open that read: Beyond Compare.

They were not wrong.