2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

the4clubsguy

I've been a minimalist for around 15 years. My best play (under 80) has been with 4-6 clubs. Like Petunia, my four club kit is 3W, 7,PW, and putter. Five club setup, 3W, 5,8.PW, and putter. For six, just add a driver.

Add a Jones bag, and a knit head cover, and you're all set. A tip, a lot of guys say a stand bag is necessary, so a person doesn't have to bend to lift the bag. I've always used the club I've just hit to lift the strap of the bag, so bending is unnecessary. With the minimalist kit, the bag and clubs are light as a feather, so the walking is enjoyable and healthful.

Golf became a riding sport, due to huge staff bags, 14 clubs, ball retrievers, extra shoes, dozens of balls, umbrellas, and all the other junk that the OEMs want everyone to believe is crucial to the golf "experience.".

Playing vintage is the next chapter to minimalist. Playing the minimalist with four or five ancient clubs (that couldn't be given away), and beating someone with the latest and greatest is most rewarding.

Enjoy!

Interesting thanks for posting.

How do you handle the inevitable comments when you get paired up with new partners in the first tee?

About the set make up, for me the driver is pretty forgiving, more so than a 3 wood so I'm happy to have it in the bag. I just need to remind myself that there are only a handful of holes where I want to max out my distance with it, the rest of the time I just need to hit fairway.

Are mp33s old enough to be classics now? I have a set in the garage.

People have looked at me like I'm nuts. When I started playing golf 50+ years ago, I played with 4 or 5 clubs. I got prosperous, bought a full set in the early 1970's, and played the worst golf in my life.

mp33's are classic, in my opinion.

Enjoy!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a llittle self conscious rocking up to the first tee with just 4 clubs... I need to get over that.

The reason for getting into minimalist golf is because I wasn't playing well, scoring well or enjoying myself with a full set. I needed to do something drastically different. Funnily enough Ive been able to play to my handicap with just 4 clubs so what does that tell you.

The mp33 6 iron might get a run soon.

I'm a llittle self conscious rocking up to the first tee with just 4 clubs... I need to get over that.

The reason for getting into minimalist golf is because I wasn't playing well, scoring well or enjoying myself with a full set. I needed to do something drastically different. Funnily enough Ive been able to play to my handicap with just 4 clubs so what does that tell you.

The self-conscious thing is easily remedied. If someone gives you an odd look, and it's obviously about the four clubs (instead of some other weird habit of yours), just say "they're the only clubs I can hit", then look at their bag and say "wow, you must be really good." The end.

Some more thoughts...

When I was doing this regularly, just about the only thing I ever practiced were wedge shots. There was a little field near the apartment we were living in at the time and I would go over there about three days a week and hit all kinds of shots, sometimes, for hours. The field was slanted and was about 90 yards long and 40 yards wide. At one end of the field was an old, tragic looking pear tree. As part of my practice, I would see how close I could get to that tree and still hit balls over it. Needless to say, I got very comfortable with that club. I'm also sure that the practicing I did with that wedge translated well into the other clubs I was using. And that is really another benefit to playing with so few clubs - they feel like they're part of you, after a while.

Here's a pic of that wedge...

uIYpqQ4.jpg

There are a few other things you might consider that I found useful...

You might look into a strong 3wood, or a driver you can hit off the deck. I used a Callaway War Bird 3+. I could outdrive everyone I played with at the goat track (mostly old dudes and fools) and I could hit all sorts of shots with it off the fairway. When I came back to golf, after a nine year layoff, I found I could hit my FT-9 driver off the deck pretty well, as long as I needed a cut (other than very uphill punch hooks, left to right was out).

My 7iron I used is an old blade with a regular flex shaft. The thin sole of the blade made hitting it high a lot easier than with a thicker sole clubhead. The softer shaft gave it more of a 'wedge' feel, too. I think it gave me a better feel for hitting shots too long for my wedge. Also, I think it made it easier to nuke it when I needed it.

This is probably the least useful idea. I used a Wilson budget 8802 style putter (I think it's made out of lead and was probably marketed for putt-putt). It was great for punch shots off the fairway and great for the tee shot on one of the par 3 holes (145yds.).

A couple years ago, I met up with a guy (we're in our 60's.) on the 7th hole. I never played golf with him; he was supposed to be a good golfer, and a club champion. He had come off the 3rd hole, and skipped to the 7th. He asked if he could finish the last three holes with me. OK, by me. Anyhow, I had a FT-IZ 3W, Callaway 09 x forged 7,PW, and Bulls Eye, four clubs total.

He drives the ball 50 yards farther than my 3W. I hit my 7 into the green 8 feet from the pin. Birdie putt in. He pars the hole. Hole 8, he outdrives me another 50 or more. I hit the 7 again, to 15 feet from the pin, make the birdie putt again. He pars the hole, and is rattled. 9th hole, a par three, I'm short of the green. He hits his tee shot in a greenside bunker. He hits the bunker shot over the green and into another bunker. He picks up and I do likewise. We shake hands, and walk our own way. The fellow always speaks to me, and I leave it at that.

This fellow is the kind of guy that thinks our goat track of a club is Augusta National. Decent fellow, but in another world, like a legend in his own mind. My two birdies and four clubs really shook him up. I probably couldn't repeat my performance again for my life, but golf is an odd game. Stuff like this will happen without rhyme or reason.

I know I would have blown up in a regular 9 or 18 hole match, but for three holes, I was in the "zone."

Enjoy!

If you don't mind me asking with regards to your 7 iron. How often do you find yourself hitting greens when it's a 9 iron or PW distance?

And when you do miss the green, do you find yourself short more often vs long?

I'd be very curious to know.

Wouldn't mind if Petunia Sprinkles or Wriggles chimed in either.

Thanks

David

If you don't mind me asking with regards to your 7 iron. How often do you find yourself hitting greens when it's a 9 iron or PW distance?

And when you do miss the green, do you find yourself short more often vs long?

I'd be very curious to know.

Wouldn't mind if Petunia Sprinkles or Wriggles chimed in either.

Thanks

David

That's a tough distance, I'm still trying to figure out the best way to play it. At the moment I'm choking down a half inch or so & swinging easier. I'll hit the green probably 1 in 3 but misses are literally just off.

I just picked up this ex demo 7 iron.

If it works I may just end up alternating between my two 7 irons every couple of rounds.

If not I'll cut it down and give it to my son to play around with at the range, he's a Nike fan.

Dudes only got 4 clubs in his bag and he's still ho'ing!

Sorry, but this is one of the funniest things I have read around here in a LONG time! :)

I just picked up this ex demo 7 iron.

If it works I may just end up alternating between my two 7 irons every couple of rounds.

If not I'll cut it down and give it to my son to play around with at the range, he's a Nike fan.

Dudes only got 4 clubs in his bag and he's still ho'ing!

Sorry, but this is one of the funniest things I have read around here in a LONG time! :)

I wish I had wrote this!!! So so funny!!

New head cover & 52 wedge

Looks like you're moving to an all Nike bag....

Got to say, I like this 4-club golf idea way more than 3 clubs. I think it's because you can carry one of each of the main club types*: woods, irons, wedges, putter. This means, for example, that unlike 3-club golf, you don't have to sacrifice a putter (though you could if you wished).

For the record, from my current set up I would probably go 7w, 7i, 56*, putter, though I might put the 4w in on longer courses and stick an 8i on shorter courses. Really interesting. Next time I go for a casual round, I want to try this.

*Club types here being somewhat arbitrarily decided by me

Yeah but hoing iron sets or drivers is a little more expensive than a couple of different ex demo irons @ $20 each.

You're a genius! You still get to have all the fun of ho'ing for a fraction of the price. The only change I would make is your bag ... there are some really nice pencil or range bags out there that are perfect for this set up.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

New head cover & 52 wedge

Looks like you're moving to an all Nike bag....

Got to say, I like this 4-club golf idea way more than 3 clubs. I think it's because you can carry one of each of the main club types*: woods, irons, wedges, putter. This means, for example, that unlike 3-club golf, you don't have to sacrifice a putter (though you could if you wished).

For the record, from my current set up I would probably go 7w, 7i, 56*, putter, though I might put the 4w in on longer courses and stick an 8i on shorter courses. Really interesting. Next time I go for a casual round, I want to try this.

*Club types here being somewhat arbitrarily decided by me

I'm still trying to score low when I play so a putter is a must.

Give it a try, it's fun.

Loving the simplicity of this bag - I put together a bag with one each wood, hybrid, iron, wedge and putter this winter. I like the simplicity of four clubs even more though!

I think I will have to sort through all my extra clubs and use one of my sunday bags to find my ideal four club setup!

Let us know how you go.

Yeah but hoing iron sets or drivers is a little more expensive than a couple of different ex demo irons @ $20 each.

You're a genius! You still get to have all the fun of ho'ing for a fraction of the price. The only change I would make is your bag ... there are some really nice pencil or range bags out there that are perfect for this set up.

Yep, I'll be getting a Sunday bag as soon as I find one on sale.

I played again today and what really stood out is how atrocious my short game is, I mean I knew it was bad but it's really bad.

I have to rely so much on chipping in order to score that if my short game is bad then my scores are bad.

Also I struggled with driver on the opening holes today which didn't help overall score, however I'm very pleased with my iron play (I'm loving the feel of the Nike 7 iron, also tighter dispersion and better trajectory).

Just picked up a new bag

Nice Ping bag!

I use a Jones Original carry bag most of the time. However, when I play my old Pings from 1975, I play an old Ping bag. The Ping setup is usually a Eye2 3W, 5,8.PW, and Bulls Eye. I've remarked elsewhere, that years ago, I read an article by an English fellow, that the above five are all one needs to play a decent game of golf.

He's right.

Play well!

Just picked up a new bag

Nice Ping bag!

I use a Jones Original carry bag most of the time. However, when I play my old Pings from 1975, I play an old Ping bag. The Ping setup is usually a Eye2 3W, 5,8.PW, and Bulls Eye. I've remarked elsewhere, that years ago, I read an article by an English fellow, that the above five are all one needs to play a decent game of golf.

He's right.

Play well!

Pretty cool looking Ping there.

I really enjoy walking & it allows me to play quick too, I hate long rounds.

Just picked up a new bag

Nice Ping bag!

He's right.

Play well!

That is one cool Ping bag right there, the moonlite is a great Sunday bag too