Ok, I've seen it discussed within other threads but can't recall the answer.

If you play a stroke from within a hazard and you hit it OB, where do you drop? I can't remember.

And if I can respectfully ask a favor of the rule gurus, along with the rule numbers, would a brief, easy to understand, synopsis of the rule be possible. Thank you in advance.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rule 26-2b

I believe the rule as written is easy to understand - but if I'm wrong - don't hesitate to ask for further clarification.

b. Ball Lost or Unplayable Outside Hazard or Out of Bounds

If a ball played from within a water hazard is lost or deemed unplayable outside the hazard or is out of bounds, the player may, after taking a penalty of one stroke under Rule 27-1 or 28a, play a ball as nearly as possible at the spot in the hazard from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5).

If the player elects not to play a ball from that spot, he may:

• add an additional penalty of one stroke (making a total of two penalty strokes) and play a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the last stroke from outside a water hazard was made (see Rule 20-5); or
  • proceed under Rule 26-1b or, if applicable, Rule 26-1c, adding the additional penalty of one stroke prescribed by the Rule (making a total of two penalty strokes) and using as the reference point the point where the original ball last crossed the margin of the hazard before it came to rest in the hazard.

Note 1: When proceeding under Rule 26-2b, the player is not required to drop a ball under Rule 27-1 or 28a. If he does drop a ball, he is not required to play it. He may alternatively proceed under Clause (i) or (ii) above. If he does so, he incurs a total of two penalty strokes: the penalty of one stroke under Rule 27-1 or 28a, and an additional penalty of one stroke for then proceeding under Clause (i) or (ii) above.

Note 2: If a ball played from within a water hazard is deemed unplayable outside the hazard, nothing in Rule 26-2b precludes the player from proceeding under Rule 28b or c.

It's a bit more accurate to say that yes you can drop in the hazard for the next shot in this case. You don't have to if you choose to use one of the other options (as per Note 1) before dropping.

The restriction for not dropping in a hazard does exist but not for this particular scenario. That applies for other situations - such as when taking relief from the hazard itself (under penalty) or when taking relief from an immovable obstruction for a ball outside the hazard.

It's a bit more accurate to say that yes you can drop in the hazard for the next shot in this case. You don't have to if you choose to use one of the other options (as per Note 1) before dropping.

The restriction for not dropping in a hazard does exist but not for this particular scenario. That applies for other situations - such as when taking relief from the hazard itself (under penalty) or when taking relief from an immovable obstruction for a ball outside the hazard.

Thanks again Stuart. It's funny, you know you've read these rules, but then when the situation arises you're just not sure.

But just to clarify, even after hitting the ball OB, I could then have dropped outside the hazard (stroke, stroke, and distance), correct?

Thanks again Stuart. It's funny, you know you've read these rules, but then when the situation arises you're just not sure.

But just to clarify, even after hitting the ball OB, I could then have dropped outside the hazard (stroke, stroke, and distance), correct?

Simply put Yes.

I don't rely completely on memory if something unusual comes up during the round. IF you don't want to carry a copy of the rule book with you, the USGA has a phone app that's fairly easy to use.

Simply put Yes.

I don't rely completely on memory if something unusual comes up during the round. IF you don't want to carry a copy of the rule book with you, the USGA has a phone app that's fairly easy to use.

I have the app on my phone, but from my experience (for me anyway) it's too difficult to find the answer to a question like this in an expedient manner.

although I did just look on my phone and this one did not take me long to find. Part of that may have been though that because you just posted the rule I knew I was looking at the correct one.

So, to be sure..... If you go to drop it in the hazard after losing the first one OB or otherwise, and it twice rolls outside your drop area within hazard you get to then place it. If it rolls into water remaining within the drop area you still get the penalty for the original drop, plus short of playing it out of the water, you have to again take a unplayable. ??

I could see this scenario potentially resulting in a infinite drop penalty scenario, or even after all that could I still take a drop outside of the hazard somehow?

So, to be sure..... If you go to drop it in the hazard after losing the first one OB or otherwise, and it twice rolls outside your drop area within hazard you get to then place it.

It's not really a drop area - but rather a location (as close as possible to the place you previously played from) - but other than that yes.

If it rolls into water remaining within the drop area you still get the penalty for the original drop, plus short of playing it out of the water, you have to again take a unplayable. ??

If it's in the hazard you can't take an unplayable. If you don't want to attempt the shot from in the hazard a second time (for whatever reason), as explained in the rule, you can get relief from the hazard (with an additional stroke penalty) based on the last point of entry into the hazard or the place last played from outside the hazard.

Thanks Stuart.

So, you do drop in the hazard for the next shot. That's what I did, but then later couldn't remember if you were allowed to drop in the hazard.

It got even more fun from there!

I'm in shock that you hit a ball in a hazard DSS!

There have been a lot of "others" since I got back. Apparently you guys inspired me DP!

It was actually my second best swing of the day. Just drew too much and then hit hard. Hole swings left to right and if you turn it right to left it has to start on an absolutely perfect line. Mine didn't start on that line.

So, to be sure..... If you go to drop it in the hazard after losing the first one OB or otherwise, and it twice rolls outside your drop area within hazard you get to then place it. If it rolls into water remaining within the drop area you still get the penalty for the original drop, plus short of playing it out of the water, you have to again take a unplayable. ??

I could see this scenario potentially resulting in a infinite drop penalty scenario, or even after all that could I still take a drop outside of the hazard somehow?

There is a distinction with the "OB or otherwise" highlighted above.

If you hit a ball OB from a hazard, there is no drawback in dropping at the previous spot in the hazard. HItting a ball OB is 1PS under Stroke and Distance. As Stuart says, if you can not play the dropped ball in the hazard,dropping outside the hazard incurs an additional PS for a total of 2PS. Makes no difference if you first dropped in the hazard or not. You can not avoid 2PS if you play your ball from outside the hazard.

If you hit a ball into the same or another hazard it's a little different. You can avoid incurring 2PS from playing outside the hazard by dropping there first. (don't drop in the hazard) It's only if you first drop a ball in the hazard first, and then decide you can not play it, do you incur 2PS for dropping outside of the hazard.

So........if a ball goes OB from the hazard, go ahead and drop in the hazard. No extra penalty for doing that, you already have 1. You are not required to play it. If you can't play it, take another penalty and play from outside the hazard.

If, however, you play from a hazard and your ball goes into another or same hazard, think carefully if you want to try the same shot again. (drop in the hazard) It could needlessly cost you 2PS if after the drop you can not play the ball and then have to drop outside of the hazard. You could have just dropped outside of the hazard in the first place incurring only 1PS.

Hope this helps, it's kind of hard to explain clearly.

Thanks Stuart.

So, you do drop in the hazard for the next shot. That's what I did, but then later couldn't remember if you were allowed to drop in the hazard.

There have been a lot of "others" since I got back. Apparently you guys inspired me DP!

It was actually my second best swing of the day. Just drew too much and then hit hard. Hole swings left to right and if you turn it right to left it has to start on an absolutely perfect line. Mine didn't start on that line.

Hey DP, I missed the hazard today! (Although I did play the par threes 12 over yesterday, so I've got that going for me!).

Thanks Stuart.

Hey DP, I missed the hazard today! (Although I did play the par threes 12 over yesterday, so I've got that going for me!).

Clearly the less than perfect swing you saw on your visit has moved to Western Nebraska. Sorry about that DSS.