New $500 Flightscope personal launch monitor (MERGED)

I just did my initial testing at the range. People weren't kidding about the distance and alignment. I missed more shots than I liked but I found it got better when I moved 1 ball in front of exactly what I I putted to the app. I used a 4 foot alignment rod to measure and moved the ball about 1 inch in front. It may be just my unit or a general sweet spot. But I would recommend using the alignment stick or tape measure then varying ball placement.

One KEY thing which I'm not sure anybody has mentioned. You have to select the club you are using! I left it on driver to start and hit PW. I was getting 2500 -3000 spin. I thought it was the range balls. Then I finally decided to select pw. My spin jumped to 8000. I selected different clubs and the spin changed. So I guess this is part of how they estimate spin without stickers. As nice as it felt to hit 145 yard PW it lost 10-15 yards once I selected the correct club haha. I'll upload an alignment video once I get home.

I didn't realize it would estimate spin..? Is there a "non sticker" mode or something? This has me sorta spooked.

There isn't a separate mode for stickers vs non stickers as far as I could tell. I'll play around with stickers vs non and use my skytrack to verify this weekend.

It has nothing to do with estimating spin. It has to do with where the unit is looking for the target(ball). All FS units have operated in this way. The units look for a projected launch angle and spin rate based on the club selected. Using the wrong setting will and probably is causing a lot of the "errors" and misreads people are getting.

This is how a lot of rumors are gonna get started...

The unit has a fixed radar beam. It will not "look" in any particular part of the beam for a target (ball). When a reflective item appears in the beam the unit will measure elevation (launch) angle using a monopulse method. Spin is measured by a radar seeing and counting fluctuations in the reflected signal strength. Higher end devices like trackman have refined enough receiver designs to measure these fluctuations without a reflective sticker. Mevo needs a little help, hence the stickers.

Without stickers, I'm guessing mevo will use the entered club to give it a ballpark spin number.

It is described in one the manuals that are on my laptop computer. I can assure you that it does, unless the manuals are wrong. Just because it is a fixed phased array does not mean that it floods the entire elevation/azimuth with radar waves. It's a PD unit, it does not just see and track everything that is in front of it.

Both TM and FS use stickers indoors BTW.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

Is it really a fixed array? If it can measure elevation (and thus launch angle), I would suspect that it's still a phased array system even if not with the same resolution as the larger, more expensive units.

I'm 99.9 percent sure that you are right and I am wrong. :)

Not only that, but it makes more sense for what I'm trying to say.

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)

Spider Tour X3

Trackman data results!

I don't have the specific numbers so I'm going to give a brief summary: Pretty impressive from pitching wedge up to driver. Other wedges were a bit finicky.

It seems that the faster you swing and the faster the ball speed, the more accurate the results. This is with and without the metal dot on the ball. Spin was reported as at least 800rpm more than the trackman. Ball speed was spot on and launch angle were spot on. My club fitter was super impressed with the numbers.

I'm going to give Flightscope the feedback that wedges were really finicky. I hope it's a matter of a software update.

Trackman data results!

I don't have the specific numbers so I'm going to give a brief summary: Pretty impressive from pitching wedge up to driver. Other wedges were a bit finicky.

It seems that the faster you swing and the faster the ball speed, the more accurate the results. This is with and without the metal dot on the ball. Spin was reported as at least 800rpm more than the trackman. Ball speed was spot on and launch angle were spot on. My club fitter was super impressed with the numbers.

I'm going to give Flightscope the feedback that wedges were really finicky. I hope it's a matter of a software update.

I wonder if it was less a matter of ball speed and more a matter of spin. Wedges will spin a ton more than any other club.

Trackman data results!

I wonder if it was less a matter of ball speed and more a matter of spin. Wedges will spin a ton more than any other club.

That's what my club fitter thought as well. I even put the metal dot on a ball and it came back as way off.

Trackman data results!

How did the carry distance match up?

I honestly think my Mevo works better without the stickers and misses less shots.

Titleist TS3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
Titleist T100 Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50/54/58 Project X 5.5 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Trackman data results!

Within a pretty close margin of error the faster the ball speed got. It also depended on spin rate. Spin wasn't as accurate, but still close enough to be within 2-5 yards.

That's quite a difference on spin. Was that with driver as would make quite a difference in distance

Trackman data results!

Has anybody noticed some weird smash calculations? It sometimes jumps from really low smash factor to really high. On driver it sometimes goes from 1.52 to 1.37. While the ball speed is about the same. So the club head speed differs by 10mph. The theoretical max smash is 1.5 so I doubt I'm that pure. On the flip side it feels like center cut shots where I'm getting 1.37 so don't think it should be that low. This is without metal dots outdoors. Distance looks like it's not impacted since ball speed, launch, and spin seem to to be consistent. Weird smash isn't the end of the world but I do use the mevo as a swing speed gauge.

Mevo video coming at you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wpBvWYXIIo

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

You are not going to find beam steering in a $500 device (or a $25k device for that matter) and it isn't required. Also, I think you'll find that Trackman and FS units are not pulsed operation. They are CW and measure range using frequency modulation.

They are phased array, doppler units. That info is readily readable on their site, so no need to speculate.

IIRC, the term monopulse has been used fairly extensively with regards to TM and FS.

The measurement area is 20* by 20* on all the other units, that is straight from the manual. The Mevo, that would be understood to be a less-powerful unit would be the same or less.

Spider Tour X3

I finally got a chance to test vs my skytrak. Indoors really needs a decent amount of space. I had issues getting it to detect until I was about 8 feet away from my net. The first two weird spin numbers were when I was at the edge of detection. I moved the ball back a few inches and it got better. The first 7 points had the dot. The last two were without. The reason I only did 9 shots was i actually did 10 before but it didn't save on my skytrak. I still missed quite a few shots on the mevo so 20 shots recorded were really quite a bit more. I don't really blame the mevo since I was at the bare minimum distance for both behind and in front.

To sum it up, I was actually very impressed. The first set of data I had contained no misreads on spin. I think it's really finding the sweetspot then firing away. The second set had some misreads but distances seem close enough for a 500 dollar device and you still got the spread if mishit differences. Only downside is you really don't capture the pulls I was hitting.

IMG_6384.jpg

You_Doodle_2017-05-06_T04_53_52_Z.jpg

gif hosting

You are not going to find beam steering in a $500 device (or a $25k device for that matter) and it isn't required. Also, I think you'll find that Trackman and FS units are not pulsed operation. They are CW and measure range using frequency modulation.

They are phased array, doppler units. That info is readily readable on their site, so no need to speculate.

IIRC, the term monopulse has been used fairly extensively with regards to TM and FS.

The measurement area is 20* by 20* on all the other units, that is straight from the manual. The Mevo, that would be understood to be a less-powerful unit would be the same or less.

I am not contesting that they use phased array antenna arrangements. That does not mean that they either actively or passively beam steering in transmit or receive. Neither does it mean they are pulsed operation.

Cool, would be good to se some driver hits I find you get round to

I finally got a chance to test vs my skytrak. Indoors really needs a decent amount of space. I had issues getting it to detect until I was about 8 feet away from my net. The first two weird spin numbers were when I was at the edge of detection. I moved the ball back a few inches and it got better. The first 7 points had the dot. The last two were without. The reason I only did 9 shots was i actually did 10 before but it didn't save on my skytrak. I still missed quite a few shots on the mevo so 20 shots recorded were really quite a bit more. I don't really blame the mevo since I was at the bare minimum distance for both behind and in front.

To sum it up, I was actually very impressed. The first set of data I had contained no misreads on spin. I think it's really finding the sweetspot then firing away. The second set had some misreads but distances seem close enough for a 500 dollar device and you still got the spread if mishit differences. Only downside is you really don't capture the pulls I was hitting.

IMG_6384.jpg

You_Doodle_2017-05-06_T04_53_52_Z.jpg

gif hosting

How do you get the app to work on the iPad?

Thanks

Under the app store just search for "iphone only" apps. Seems to run just fine on the ipad.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Great video!

However, I will not be getting the mevo after seeing this.

Mevo picked up half the shots, which would have me going a little crazy, regardless of the accuracy.

I was going to suggest moving the net onto the grass for you(so the ball isnt flying everywhere), but it seems as though its not level with your concrete driveway..

You can't have the ball flying back at, the hitter jumping in front of the Mevo and expect it not to throw an error. With a different net it would pick up more shots. Maybe if he turns the net slightly the ball might deflect to the side.

-

Great video!

Mevo picked up half the shots, which would have me going a little crazy, regardless of the accuracy.

I was going to suggest moving the net onto the grass for you(so the ball isnt flying everywhere), but it seems as though its not level with your concrete driveway..

Great video!

Lowes sells a 4x8 rug that looks like field turf that Im going to pickup to place in front of my net to control the bounce. You do have to pay attention to the LED's to let you know when the system is armed and ready to measure. You can turn the voice alert on for the radar so your not always looking back at the unit.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Played around some more in my garage. I did try metallic sharpies. Didn't seem like it did much to help. I was catching most of my shots with the metal stickers. Switched to a ball with no sticker and it started to miss them. Adding the sharpie mark didn't help.

My garage is cramped so can't swing the longer clubs. But down to a 6 iron I was getting comparable numbers to my skytrak (with the dot). Without the dot it was similar to my outdoor experience. Need to select the club to be in the ballpark. And if you hit weird spinning shots it won't really catch it....It will just use standard club spin.

Curvy shots had some error since it just treats that side spin as backspin. (With and without dots)

Great video!

Lowes sells a 4x8 rug that looks like field turf that Im going to pickup to place in front of my net to control the bounce. You do have to pay attention to the LED's to let you know when the system is armed and ready to measure. You can turn the voice alert on for the radar so your not always looking back at the unit.

Sounds good! Let me know how this works out for you!

I've done side-by-side comparisons with my Xi+, my club's X2 and my Mevo. The ball speeds are spot on, but clubhead speeds are consistently reading much faster; anywhere from 3-8 mph. For example, Xi+/X2 will show 102 mph and the Mevo will read 108. Launch angle is also consistently off; typically 2° too high.

Regarding launch angle, what does the Mevo use as a "level" reference? My Xi+ auto-levels based on the terrain, but if the Mevo is angled slightly up/down, does it adjust? If not, the launch angle data seems useless. I'm not going to be able to get the Mevo perfectly level when setting it on grass, so it's often going to be off by a couple of degrees.

[color=#808080][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Driver: Titleist 917 D2 9.25° - OBAN Devotion6 (65g) 4-Flex PUREd[/font][/size][/color]<br />[color=#808080][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]3W: Titleist 917 F2 15° - OBAN Devotion7 (75g) 4-Flex PUREd[/font][/size][/color]<br />[color=#808080][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]3H: Titleist 816 H2 21° - Fujikura Pro 83 Hybrid Stiff[/font][/size][/color]<br />[color=#808080][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]4H: Srixon ZU65 23° - Fujikura Pro 95i Stiff[/font][/size][/color]<br />[color=#808080][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Irons: PING S55 5-PW - Nippon 1150GH Taper Stiff PUREd[/font][/size][/color]<br />[color=#808080][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Wedges: PING Glide 2.0 50° Stealth 54° & 58° - Nippon 1150GH Taper Stiff PUREd[/font][/size][/color]<br />[color=#808080][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 - Balance Certified AMT counter weight - Super Stroke Pistol GTR 1.0[/font][/size][/color]<br />[color=#808080][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Ball: Titleist Pro V1[/font][/size][/color]<br /><br />[size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][url="http://gamegolf.com/player/loupus"][color=#808080]GameGolf[/color][/url][/font][/size]

I've done side-by-side comparisons with my Xi+, my club's X2 and my Mevo. The ball speeds are spot on, but clubhead speeds are consistently reading much faster; anywhere from 3-8 mph. For example, Xi+/X2 will show 102 mph and the Mevo will read 108. Launch angle is also consistently off; typically 2° too high.

Regarding launch angle, what does the Mevo use as a "level" reference? My Xi+ auto-levels based on the terrain, but if the Mevo is angled slightly up/down, does it adjust? If not, the launch angle data seems useless. I'm not going to be able to get the Mevo perfectly level when setting it on grass, so it's often going to be off by a couple of degrees.

I'm just curious, but if you have an xi, why bother with a mevo?