Seniors Only. How far do you hit the ball?

The chart debunks the guys who are patting themselves on the back for their 300+ yard drives. When I was a young guy, I'd get depressed when I'd pace off 175 yard drives. Always looked for more distance off the tee; however, a horrible slice robbed me of many yards. I recall using eight irons at the 150 mark, but woods, forget it.

At age 64, my driver distance is farther and much straighter. Clubs have almost nothing to do with performance, at least for me. Many factors come into play regarding driver distance, including

1. Time of year. Wet, muddy fairways mean no roll. For me, distance between 175 and 205.

2. Condition of course. I play basically a cow pasture. My course has to be the bumpiest, uneven fairways imaginable. I'm sure my 205 carry would roll another 30-50 yards on the groomed pro courses.

3. Physical condition. If I haven't played for a few days, I can hit a ball much farther than when playing 3-4 days in a row. Distance suffers, due to fatigue.

4. Summer drought. I've paced off 250+ in the dry summer conditions.

To answer the question, yesterday, I was under 200 yards with the driver, and 120 or so with the 7 iron. Very lush fairways and heavy rough, after days of rain.

The chart is the MEDIAN distances for all golfers.

The longest players for their ages blow this chart away!

A superior athlete is still a superior athlete whether they're 20 or 70 - and will hit it significantly farther than the median!

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

I posted in here just short of three years ago just before turning 51. Wondering when the inevitable was going to happen.

So far (knock on wood) it hasn't been too severe. At a few months short of 54 I can still get it out there a respectable distance. Enough that I feel like I could play most courses and not be completely overmatched with the yardage. Was really pleased to play a new course in a different area (lower elevation) with some WRX'ers and find I wasn't completely deluding myself about yardages by playing at home with the same guys all the time.

turning 72 in October and been playing for almost 60 years now with a career low 3 hdcp..

have lost at least 20 yds in the last 5 years and at least 70 yds during my peak years when i was in my 20s and 30s..

average carry now is between 190-195 yds with my best drives rolling up to 210 or more depending on the fairway conditions...on flat fairways of course..

good news is i seldom miss fairways nowadays..

my 150-yd club is either my 24* 9 wood, 25*5U or even the 21* 7 wood depending on the conditions..

when my short game is working i can still break 80 on flat courses less than 6000 yds..

am fine with this..

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

Callaway demo day at the club yesterday. So I had the chance to try out their newest and greatest hubcap on a stick. 266 yds was my Sunday punch. Used to hit it past that with persimmon and steel shaft. But really, any more, 225 or so is decent for me with my current driver. Our course plays about 7000 from the tips and 6500 from the blue tees. White tees are about 5800 we have what we call the blue/whites, where half of the holes we play from the white tees.

So I can maneuver my way around at about 6200 yards or so.

Uncle bob

Pushing into late 60's now... Lost about 10yds of distance over the last year. Not aware of SS, but drives are in the 240+ carry range, 2i averages 210+ carry, 7i = 150+ carry. Due to activities earlier in life, I been coping with osteoarthritis and pain for four years now, and fighting off muscle degeneration daily. The only thing that saves my game and club distances are regular gym visits and icing down afterwards. Which is where I am heading in a few. :beach:

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Hzrdus Smoke Red 75 5.5
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

turning 72 in October and been playing for almost 60 years now with a career low 3 hdcp..

have lost at least 20 yds in the last 5 years and at least 70 yds during my peak years when i was in my 20s and 30s..

average carry now is between 190-195 yds with my best drives rolling up to 210 or more depending on the fairway conditions...on flat fairways of course..

my 150-yd club is either my 24* 9 wood, 25*5U or even the 21* 7 wood depending on the conditions..

when my short game is working i can still break 80 on courses less than 6000 yds..

am fine with this..

Congratulations. Keep fighting the fight... :clapping:

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Hzrdus Smoke Red 75 5.5
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

Callaway demo day at the club yesterday. So I had the chance to try out their newest and greatest hubcap on a stick. 266 yds was my Sunday punch. Used to hit it past that with persimmon and steel shaft. But really, any more, 225 or so is decent for me with my current driver. Our course plays about 7000 from the tips and 6500 from the blue tees. White tees are about 5800 we have what we call the blue/whites, where half of the holes we play from the white tees.

So I can maneuver my way around at about 6200 yards or so.

Uncle bob

Hubcap on a stick!!!??? What a priceless analogy!!!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

when my short game is working i can still break 80 on courses less than 6000 yds..

am fine with this..

thanks sir...

when you have most of the normal ailments for my age you just have to thank the Lord for still being able to play!! he he!!

Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Cleveland 588 56/60

am fine with this..

thanks sir...

when you have most of the normal ailments for my age you just have to thank the Lord for still being able to play!! he he!!

Yessir! Greetings from Sydney! Normally only post in the putter forum but only just found the 'new posts' section (proof of old fartness). I will be 58 this year and hit it like many here - 150 yard 7 iron but my Driver has never been as long as my irons in comparison. I can get my Ping G25 out about 200 with a good one, but as I get older I am more content with my swing (strong fade when playing well - slice when tired into a gale).

I have been a professional comedian down here for 40 years. Got bad cancer in the right side of my head and neck 18 years ago - had the lymph nodes out, major surgery, radiation therapy and was told to 'get my affairs in order'. Spent 4 months in hospital and went home and wrote some great cancer gags. Three years later, it's back in the other side really bad apparently. I spend 10 months in hospital, double doses of Chemo, lose all my hair, get told to 'get my affairs in order seriously'. No story of courage and bravery here, I was the only guy to leave our room not under a sheet - but I never thought for a minute I was going to go. Had the entire accessory nerve removed from my left arm and was told when I confounded them by living that I probably wouldn't use my left arm again. A year later I won the B Grade Club Championship (crappy timing for a comic though - got my one and only Ace the day BEFORE the comp ha ha).

Still get out of the city here and play in the Mountains every Sunday and barely hang onto a 14 handicap. Have no feeling in the left side of my face, but that just means I can annoy the missus and pretend it hurts if she slaps me :-)

Play well chaps.

Rob

I'm 67 and with age comes wisdom. For the past few years, I've stopped trying to out-drive my son and focused on accuracy, shot shaping, and the short game. I switched from cast to forged irons to help me focus (plus the feel is amazing), and I practice every day. My scores and handicap have come down and I guess I've sacrificed maybe 20 yards on drives, which ain't good, but I'm still hitting 240 with the driver with the ability to now hit closer or on the green far more often, then get it in the hole.

Overall, the game is much more fun for me now. I will say that I am more accident/injury prone. Hand/wrist pulls, back stiffness, etc. So I need to try to keep in shape but more importantly to stretch A LOT before I swing.

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

TaylorMade Burner 3-wood and 5-wood REAX reg graphite

Mizuno MX-23 forged 5-PW, Mizuno forged SW, GW, LW

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot Rossie 36" --  Ball: TP5 X

Went a demo day at our club today. Hitting 917D2, ball speed 151, launch 15*, 2400 spin, carry 260. This is a gain of ~10 yard from my 915D3. Oh, currently 53 turning 54 in July.

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

I am 70 and a DAV. A good drive for me is about 200 and I hit a 7 iron about 130. In the years from 65 to 70 seem like it took 10 years off my playing. I would love to be 50 or even 60 these days. That's NOT old. lol I do practice close to daily and carry a 9.6 index from the blue tees. I have found that the low spinning clubs don't work for me which will save me a ton of money. Putting and chipping keep me in the game. But I still love the game and will play until I drop.

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

• 4 months later...

Ego........mans ultimate downfall..............I buried my ego moons ago and the small money game I play in, if they let me, I'd wear my wife's culottes with a wig and play from the ladies tees... :cheesy:

There's no place for ego in this game particularly as we get older. The conservative play is almost always the best option unless you have nothing to lose.

For my game if a course plays over 5500 yards I'm not really interested anymore. There's a complete lack of variety when you're forced to hit driver and then fairway/hybrid/long iron on all but a handful of holes. If senior tees are an option I'll choose them or play some combination of the two. It generally works pretty well. The men's league I belong to uses that approach as it helps the older guys with the forced carries.

Not everyone plays this game for the same reasons. I'm thinking of one fellow in particular that rarely if ever plays a round of golf, because his eyesight is so poor. But, he still loves to go to the range and pound out balls on a launch monitor. The only thing he seems to care about is swing speed and he claims that he can still get it well up above 100 at age 70 averaging over 270 with his driver! Different strokes for different folks...

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Per my GPS, I'm averaging about 184 yards with my Brassie (hickory Shafted 11 deg) and 130 yards with my mashie (7 iron loft).

5,600 - 5,800 is the ideal length for me with the hickories. At 65, I play the senior tees on most course. I quit trying to hit it harder / farther and instead am working on more solid contact - make the bad shots less bad.

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

Per my GPS, I'm averaging about 184 yards with my Brassie (hickory Shafted 11 deg) and 130 yards with my mashie (7 iron loft).

5,600 - 5,800 is the ideal length for me with the hickories. At 65, I play the senior tees on most course. I quit trying to hit it harder / farther and instead am working on more solid contact - make the bad shots less bad.

This sounds very much like the approach taken by the hickory players I met at our course about three weeks ago. He said that he just takes what the course will give him. I think that approach is ideal when playing any sort of vintage gear be it hickory or persimmon and blades. That has certainly inspired my approach when I have my Citations and Axials in the bag. They're as much fun as a barrel of monkees! :lol:

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I think exercise is one key factor for the old golfers like me. I do about 25-30 push-ups about three times per week, 65 deep knee bends and abut 5-6 pull ups. I also hit a lot of golf balls. I do two large buckets every time I go to the range, then practice putting. The chipping and putting is what keeps me in the game. I have found outputting your opponent messes with their heads. lol

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

I think exercise is one key factor for the old golfers like me. I do about 25-30 push-ups about three times per week, 65 deep knee bends and abut 5-6 pull ups. I also hit a lot of golf balls. I do two large buckets every time I go to the range, then practice putting. The chipping and putting is what keeps me in the game. I have found outputting your opponent messes with their heads. lol

I don't disagree, but for me it is more about stretching and flexibility...which amounts to the same thing, just different exercises that are not as hard on the joints.

I love to pound balls, but I'm trying to live up to the fact that "practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect." So I really go through my routine on each shot, lining it up, visualizing it quickly, then striking it smoothly without tension. One large bucket is good enough. I do wish I could putt and chip on a real green more, but there are none around here, except at the golf course, and you need to have a tee time to use them.

Arnie's quote about strength of mind and character is very nice, but for me golf is about living in the moment with perfect timing. Enjoy the challenge of each shot, each chip, and be amazed by the result.

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

I don't know what constitutes 'Senior' in America. Some cite late 40s, others mid 50s. Many reading this who may be in their 70s, may believe themselves to be underachieving with their physical jerks etc, so it might be helpful to readers to know the ages of contributors in order to relate safely.

For example, I'm 72 and OK for my age. I wouldn't want to do Maverick's routine. 200 golf balls at a session would stress my joints.

I don't know what constitutes 'Senior' in America. Some cite late 40s, others mid 50s. Many reading this who may be in their 70s, may believe themselves to be underachieving with their physical jerks etc, so it might be helpful to readers to know the ages of contributors in order to relate safely.

For example, I'm 72 and OK for my age. I wouldn't want to do Maverick's routine. 200 golf balls at a session would stress my joints.

That can certainly be a can of worms, determining what "age" constitutes "senior" with respect to the game of golf.

My own personal interpretation would be to use the age of 65, although, this is by far more restrictive than most views. Actually, I would pass on defining it as an age, but, would rather leave it up to the discretion of the individual, but, for the purpose of fair play, and all that most of the organizations I have dealings with in the US, including the Palmetto Seniors, that I am a member of, use the biological age of 55.

Since the group is a good cross section of the US, and everyone is good with the number, I would assume that would be a baseline, however, I believe our local "city" am may use 50.

That can certainly be a can of worms, determining what "age" constitutes "senior" with respect to the game of golf.

My own personal interpretation would be to use the age of 65, although, this is by far more restrictive than most views. Actually, I would pass on defining it as an age, but, would rather leave it up to the discretion of the individual, but, for the purpose of fair play, and all that most of the organizations I have dealings with in the US, including the Palmetto Seniors, that I am a member of, use the biological age of 55.

Since the group is a good cross section of the US, and everyone is good with the number, I would assume that would be a baseline, however, I believe our local "city" am may use 50.

Yes, but it is relevant when setting performance standards that others compare themselves with. In the UK senior status is reached at the age of 55, veterans at 70.

And, yes, I know this site is American owned, but like golf itself, it reaches out internationally.

Yes, but it is relevant when setting performance standards that others compare themselves with. In the UK senior status is reached at the age of 55, veterans at 70.

And, yes, I know this site is American owned, but like golf itself, it reaches out internationally.

There are at least two ways to set a senior status level.

Performance standards are one way to set up a senior-level limit. Here you basically use performance statistics to draw the line. They did it on the PGA Tour with the Champions Tour. Seems to be working. There also seems to be a super senior level, or a drop-off in performance, after age 60-65 (the PGA used to have this, not sure they do anymore).

The other way to set a senior landmark is marketing. Marketing gurus of everything from insurance to Depends adult diapers realize that someone IS old, or they could FEEL old, or they are ANTICIPATING getting old, they can be TOLD they are old and BELIEVE it, or they are TAKING ADVANTAGE of their age or an age limit (like joining AARP when you are 50 to get the discounts when, in fact, you really aren't old at all). Each is an opportunity for them to sell you something.

So, don't believe what you see on TV. We (you, me, others in this thread) should ignore the marketing definition of senior. It varies, it isn't real, it is built around sales.

I am 67. Until I was 64ish, I was astonished that I was still spry, flexible, strong, and able to do mostly everything I could always do--mow the lawn, chop wood. During the last few years, I've realized that I can "wear out" quickly if I over-do something. Too much time on the range off mats and I have tendonitis in both wrists. If I limit myself to putting and light chipping for 2-3 weeks, it gets much better, but is very easy to injure again with a quick flip of the club. So I now (in my mind) swing like Stricker, no conscious movement of wrists. Not stiff, just no turn-over, flip, etc. Easier swings, ice, elevation, rinse and repeat. For all of you with injuries like that, I use the RICE method -- Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. The worst thing you can do (at least for wrists) is keep them from moving--stretching and exercise are necessary. Ask your doctor (not me).

There is a whole psychology wrapped up in aging. We each handle it differently, but we all ultimately come to embrace it and try to maximize what you can do, not focus on what you no longer can do. It's easier to take a 6-iron than a 7-iron than worry that you no longer hit your 7-iron as far. Or...just buy a set of AP1s, whose lofts are a club stronger than 15 years ago right down the line. 43-degree PW. That's a 9-iron in my book.

So, in summary class, if your golf course offers a senior discount for play, be a senior.

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

When I first started this thread, I arbitrarily selected in and around 60 as a starting point. Seemed to be a reasonable age for a discussion. At the time (age 63), was noticing that I did not hit the ball as far as I once did. So was curious what others were realizing. A single digit player will obviously hit the ball further than a bogey hacker such as myself. At any age. Simply was trying to get a general sense of where folks that frequent this area of WRX were at relative to distance. Nothing more.

We all know "old" fifty somethings and "young" seventy somethings. One's chronological age can be quite different than their physical age. Health and vigor, infirmaries or the lack thereof, conditioning and stretching routines, how well one executes a swing when striking a golf ball, the list goes on. All impact distance. Setting aside if you will, the implements wielded while pursuing the game.

A 66 year old golfer is the same, regardless of what country they reside in. And face the same set of circumstances that everyone faces as they get older.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Reminds me of the Steven Wright line:

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good."

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

I'm 59. I took the game up 10 years ago. I don't hit the ball appreciably any more or less than I did when I started although I would say that the top-end is gone on that full-out swing. But, I rarely swing full-out. Take lots of club and keep it under control, that seems to work best for me. It has also allowed me to learn how to hit various clubs different distances rather than just having one stock shot.

I know that my swing speed is about 85 with a driver based on the monitor in the simulators in the golf stores, so carry is 185-200 with total distance 200-220 for the rare one that I pure. I don't carry a lot of long clubs because anything with <20° of loft I can't count on from off the deck. My 150 yd. club is a 5i and my 100 yd. club is a PW if we're talking about more traditional lofts. Needless to say, I'm not really interested in long courses. I can get all the challenge I need out of a short course. 5500 yards seems about ideal. I don't practice a lot as I've had bouts of tendinitis, so I prefer to reserve my full swings for on the course. This approach does have its limitations though.

I'd like to think that I'm in above average condition physically based on the variety of activities that I participate in, but I've never been one to go to the gym and work out. I never saw any appeal in that. I'm pretty good for cardio due to curling in winter and cycling in summer, but i'm sure that I've lost some strength due to a lack of load bearing exercise/activity. I'm considering taking yoga as that would likely address a lot of things -- flexibility, core strength and strength training.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

in the Philippines we have a law which gives all seniors--ie--citizens 60 years old and above--a 20% discount plus another 12% value added tax(VAT) discount on many things including medicine,professional medical and dental expenses,food&beverage in public establishments and recreational facilities--that includes green fees--,funeral parlours,basic groceries, local travel fares by air, land and sea,hotel rooms PLUS free medical and dental, diagnostic & laboratory services in all government facilities..

the total discount is roughly 30% upon final computation..

we follow the usga and pgatour's guidelines for classifying senior golfers at 55 and 50 respectively..

some restaurants even give a total of 50% discount for seniors 70 years and above..

one of the better perks given to us older folks..

Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Cleveland 588 56/60