Jump to content

rogolf

Advanced Members
  • Posts

    5,521
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by rogolf

  1. And your point of this is? As noted above, the course rating and slope system that he basically developed are still in use - even more now as they are used world-wide.
  2. And disrupt the wonderful excursion(s)? Not me!
  3. Some fat for the fire - hope everyone gets out safely! 5 to 1 odds This means that out of 6 possible outcomes, odds are that there will be 5 of one kind of outcome and 1 of another kind of outcome. For every 6, odds are that 5 will be a particular event and 1 will be another event. 5 to 1 probability There is a 83.33 percent probability of a particular outcome and 16.67 percent probability of another outcome. Odds vs. Probability Note that odds and probability are not the same. Odds compare one event to another event, whereas probability compares one event to both possible events. Thus, when the odds are 5 to 1, the fraction for the Odds is 5/1, but the fraction to calculate the probability is 5/6. https://thepercentagecalculator.net/Odds/what-does-5-to-1-odds-mean.html I think that Dean Knuth is a lot smarter than most... https://www.highheatgolf.com/dean-knuth-bio/
  4. try them out on the course over the next few months, and to let us know your thoughts. We will consider all input..." Just wondering how many of your thoughts you have provided to them (rather than just posting here)?
  5. Just eliminate the Exception that applies to a ball played from the the putting green. Use the Rule for the rest of the course. The player takes relief by placing a ball right under where the ball first was stopped by the animal. If the ball was merely deflected, play it from where it came to rest.
  6. None of the debate here has any effect on changes to the Rules.
  7. I don't think there should be any "do overs" for a ball stopped or deflected when played from the putting green, except for another ball in motion or a player. A putting green is not a perfect place - bad luck can occur there just on other parts of the course.
  8. And, if you are interested in how the Rules have progressed over several decades, you can look here.. http://www.ruleshistory.com/
  9. I think, in practicality, you'd want to include penalty areas and penalty area relief? Or is a ball in a lake just a lost ball?
  10. Imo, a "well-run" tournament would include a Committee that took action to minimize success of said "cheats". A couple ways of doing this - the Committee determines/sets the handicap to be used by individuals/groups known by them; the Committee sets a score below which prizes will not be awarded, this score is preset and not announced. But we've been through this before and is likely off-topic.
  11. Why do the "cheats" do what they do? I'll speculate that it's the $ value of the prizes given to the winners, and that the "cheats" would not participate if the low score winners were given a sleeve of balls. Award the higher value prizes as door prizes where everyone, regardless of handicap, has an equal chance to win.
  12. Recognize that when I'm setting hole locations, it's only for four round (five if practice round included), not every day like the local staff need to do. However, there have been some poorly designed greens where all four hole locations that I use are on the same portion of the green, sometimes too close to each other. I've also asked the course staff to change the mowing/rolling pattern for specific greens to slow them down and allow a few more hole location options. I recall one very large green (maybe 35 paces deep by 20 paces wide) where all four hole locations were in the front right of the green (about 6 paces from the front and 5 paces from the right), maybe four feet from each other, and that was after we decided to single cut and not roll that green!
  13. When I'm setting holes for competitions, my guideline is that a player should be able to stop the ball at the hole when putting from above the hole or from the side(s) of the hole. I confirm this by putting to the prospective hole location (it's the best putting practice that I get all year!)
  14. Local Rules "authorized" by a regulating body are normally meant for specific conditions at the course asking for the authorization. Such authorized local Rules would not become what we now know as Model Local Rules and would not be applicable to another course without that course also seeking authorization.
  15. I think one has to consider more than just "lower handicappers and higher handicappers", such as the size of field and the distribution of handicaps within that field. In many instances there are many more higher handicappers than lower handicappers in the field, which makes it more probable that one of the higher handicappers will be the winner. One might suggest/guess that the field consists of 80% "higher handicappers) and 20% "lower handicappers" (recognize that this is a SWAG (scientific wild-as guess).
  16. You will need to ask the Committee that put the local Rule in place whether or not such book is "approved" for use at that specific event. There is no answer that will apply to all Committees that implement the local Rule.
  17. Under the new local Rule, the only yardage books permitted are those "approved by the Committee". And I doubt that they are going to evaluate individual, older yardage books, but the Committee will likely issue an approved yardage book - any others would not be approved.
  18. Could rent a basement apartment to play billiards!
  19. I don't play skins games, nor modified Stableford. Seems a haven (or is that heaven?) for higher handicaps.
  20. A question - why does Stableford have to be modified instead of just playing as Stableford?
  21. We don't play quota Stableford at our club, but do play Stableford for our "team" games when groups are playing against all other groups. We normally play best three net scores when have all groups of four, but if we have a mixture of groups of threes and fours, we do Stableford. The groups of four use the best three Stableford points in their group per hole, groups of three use the first best Stableford points in their group plus 2x the second best Stableford points per hole. This makes it very competitive between the fours and the threes. As you can tell, our games are not meant to be punishing to any player, ie, there is always one player per group whose score isn't required for the group's hole score.
  22. Let's simplify it - for a plus handicap, quota will be greater than 36. For a non-plus handicap (nobody that I know of says a "minus handicap"), the quota will be less than 36. I do understand the mathematics.
×
×
  • Create New...