Jump to content

jeffreydan32

Members
  • Posts

    29
  • Joined

  • Last visited

jeffreydan32's Achievements

0

Reputation

  1. tomorrow? The sneaker bots seem to win every time now.
  2. Thought this would be a cool story to share. This is my second year on this tour and I play in the D flight. I think my best finish last year was around 4th or so. Last year my knees were shaking on just about every tee box. My mind was filled with doubt and just crazy thoughts about everything you can imagine. This year that has almost went away but I should have known better to even talk about it out loud. Last Saturday we were playing at Stonebridge Meadows in Fayetteville Arkansas. Beautiful course and very well taken care of. I get to the first tee box, par 4 with a wide fairway. Way to the right is about waist high tall grass that is out of bounds. So I get up there and my heart starts racing, hands start shaking and I'm thinking here we go again. I slice that dude so far right that I just wanted to go home. I would go on to shoot 88 and win D flight. I did triple #17 a tricky par 3 but only because I let myself start thinking bad thoughts. I have so much respect for guys that can fight off the demons because I struggle bad with it. I turned 53 on last Saturday so it was pretty amazing winning my first tournament on my birthday. I really didn't think I could even bring myself to play. One year ago on my birthday I got a phone call that sent me to my knees. I have coached summer basketball(aau) since 2008. I also coached pee wee football until my kids were too old to play. My tailback who would go on to become my point guard I had known since he was born. He was my middle son's classmate and they had been friends since 3rd grade. I had spent every spring and summer with him from 2008 to 2015. He was just like my own son. I called him "Pooh" from the time I met him until my birthday last year. He was murdered on my birthday last year and his case has yet to be solved. I wanted so bad to win that tournament just for Pooh. He was a stone cold athlete who loved to compete. He was small in stature but had a heart big as Dallas. I truly believe he was with me last Saturday. He knew I needed that win for so many reasons. RIP Kenny "Pooh" Kelley Jr.
  3. > @hahanice said: > slight revive, but i actually think golf is less fun than it was when i was worse. I would imagine everyone is chasing a number. I am a 1.2 with an average score of 75 or so, and if I feel at all like i wont be able to be near par I am miserable. sometimes i have to remind myself "hey man 78 is pretty **** good." When I was breaking 90 for the first time and hunting down 80 for the first time it was incredibly fun, but also allowed for some mistakes. To break par I basically have to be perfect which is more stressful. > > I have been playing for about 5 years, and I love the game as much as ever but I feel more at risk of burning out now than I ever have. Only playing 5 years and already shooting par is quiet the accomplishment! Can you share some of the things you did to get better?
  4. > @HatsForBats said: > > @jeffreydan32 said: > > > @HatsForBats said: > > > Nice score for a 'oh about 20 handicap' player. Now make sure you post those first 9 holes played. 3 over? > > > > > > > > > > > > > My bad I just noticed this post...but was this directed at me? > > It was but as someone else pointed out you were playing solo (???) so 'shouldn't' post it. For all I know you may not even keep a handicap. Even if you weren't playing solo you would probably need to post Handicap + Par for any holes not completed on the front as it seems you played at least 7 on the front? > > I jumped the gun with my exuberance for people to post those really good rounds. Let me explain a little better. My original story was about me playing out of my mind that day I rushed out to the course. I was jumping around the course so I could at least play 8-9 holes before dark. I do keep track of my handicap on Golf Net if you would like to check it out. I think you were insinuating I was sand bagging maybe??? If so I wish that was true. I usually shoot mid to high 90's with a high 80 from time to time. I have no reason to lie about my golf scores on here. Not really sure what you were getting at but seems a little strange to me.
  5. > @HatsForBats said: > > @jeffreydan32 said: > > > @HatsForBats said: > > > Nice score for a 'oh about 20 handicap' player. Now make sure you post those first 9 holes played. 3 over? > > > > > > > > > > > > > My bad I just noticed this post...but was this directed at me? > > It was but as someone else pointed out you were playing solo (???) so 'shouldn't' post it. For all I know you may not even keep a handicap. Even if you weren't playing solo you would probably need to post Handicap + Par for any holes not completed on the front as it seems you played at least 7 on the front? > > I jumped the gun with my exuberance for people to post those really good rounds. I'm kind of new to the handicap deal but are you seeing somewhere that I posted a score to get a handicap? I can't make out what I'm looking at or where you got it from.
  6. First let me say Hilton Head is a very nice place and very laid back. My wife and I stayed for 6 days and had a great time. The food was wonderful! First day of the tournament for D flight was held at Dolphin Head Golf Course. Pretty nice course but a little tight with lots of trees and houses. I had heard crazy stories from some of the guys on my tour about getting paired up with some not so fun guys through the years. I was a little nervous about that but soon as I met my playing partners I could tell they were good dudes. Our first hole was a 190 yard par 3. Of course, yours truly, has to go first. Man I was so nervous that I could see the shaft of my club shaking. Without many details(the hole was awful for me) I tripled the first hole. Next hole was a par 5 and I made par so that helped calm my nerves some. The next hole was a short dog leg right par 4 with water next to the tee box. I'm walking up to tee my ball and one of the guys says look at that gator! He was just chilling in the water but what if he was hungry? I just knew dude was going to come up in my back swing and chew my foot off. I went on to double that hole. I went on to shoot 101 on the first day. My cart partner shot 105, another guy 105 and the leader after day one, who was in our group, shot an 86. I got to the hotel and looked up the leader board. I was in 75th out of 122 players so I wasn't to upset. I had two goals - have fun no matter what and make the top 50. I was watching the weather pretty close because it looked like Saturday would get rained out. I was pretty bummed about the idea of not getting to play a full 3 days. I get up Saturday morning and its raining but not to bad. I thought I was prepared for the rain because I had bought a 29.99 rain suit from Amazon. It was still in the package so before I left the hotel I thought it would be a good idea to open it up and make sure everything was good. I had ordered XL and the jacket looked like 4xl but I had my trusty work jacket pullover for a back up so no big deal. The pants, I kid you not, were at best a men's small. I mean these dudes were never getting over my golf pants. So I had the bright idea of cutting the elastic waist band a little to loosen em up. As soon as I put my leg in the cut I made tore all the way down to my foot. Kind of getting of to a bad start if you know what I mean. I have my wife drive me over to the course to drop me off. She says just buy some rain gear in the pro shop. We were playing at Robert Trent Jones in Palmetto Dunes so I figured a rain suit there would be 500.00. I went inside and asked if they had any rain pants around. They had one pair of Adidas 2x for 90.00. They were huge so I passed, I would later regret that. Its still a light rain but everyone is talking and saying there is a tropical storm coming and no way we can finish. I meet my playing partners and once again its a cool group of guys. Get to the first tee and the wind is blowing at about 25 mph. We could barely hold our balance on the tee box. I get off the box and leave myself a gap wedge to the green. I come up short, chip up and one putt to make par. Next hole is a par 3 over water and the wind is getting it. I try and hold off the wind but it goes right and ends up in some deep rough. I would go on to triple that hole. After that I went on to make 3 pars and two bogeys. We started on hole 11 and when we got to 17 I was soaking wet from head to toe. I would have to take my hat off when I hit because the water was running out of the bill on to the ground by my ball. My shoes had started filling up with water and I was starting to get pretty cold but for some reason I was hitting it very good. I hadn't missed a fairway and besides the bone headed play on the par 3 I had made some really nice approach shots. Get to 18 and its raining so hard you can't hardly see. We all try and tee off but it was horrible. When we can see the green its under water and finally they tell us to come in. They say don't leave because it may blow over. About an hour later they tell us they are calling it and come back to that same course Sunday and it will be a two day tournament. I call my wife to come get me and when I get in the car she's so happy about my play. At this time I had never looked at the scoreboard for Saturday. She handed me her phone and said look, I had moved up to 20th place. She was all excited and we were laughing and high fiving and then I had to tell her that the score wouldn't count and I had to start back over in 75th place on Sunday. Who cares though, I was soaking wet and still having fun! Come back Sunday and my driver was good buy my iron play was pretty bad. I would go on to shoot a smooth 100 but I did finish on a good note. Our last hole, a par 5, looked out over the ocean and it was beautiful. I parred(sp) that hole to finish the tournament. There was like 8 of us tied with the same score total so I'm not sure how they determined your finishing place but I finished 64th. Overall I wasn't to upset how I played with all the issues I have with nerves. It was very fun and I hope to qualify for it again next year. Yesterday was the first time I have played since being back. I shot 47 on the front and 42 on the back. I started the back out with 5 pars in a row then made a bogey, triple, double and par to finish. I had so many what if's yesterday.........hope ya'll have a great week!
  7. > @HatsForBats said: > Nice score for a 'oh about 20 handicap' player. Now make sure you post those first 9 holes played. 3 over? > > > My bad I just noticed this post...but was this directed at me?
  8. > @"rich s" said: > > @jeffreydan32 said: > > > @"rich s" said: > > > > @jeffreydan32 said: > > > > So it gets dark around 6:30 now here in Arkansas. I leave for Hilton Head Thursday to play in the Amateur Golf Week tournament so I've been trying to practice as much as I can. I went to the driving range at lunch yesterday and really couldn't get anything to work. I was either left or right, never straight. > > > > > > > > My intention yesterday was to go back to the driving range and figure things out. When I got there it was about 5:30 so I decided to just go and play a few hole before it got dark. Man how I wish I could have had more daylight. First hole is a par 5 and I par it. Oh I'm about a 20 handicap. 2nd hole a par 4 and I bogey it. 3rd hole is a par 3 and I put it about 5 feet from the pin and birdie it. Next hole is a par 4 and I put it 3 feet from the pin for another birdie. First time in my life I've had back to back birdies. > > > > > > > > Skip to another par 3 and par it. Next up a par 5 and I bogey it, I usually par it but my mind started getting to me a little. Next up another par 5 and I blade my third shot to double the hole. Next hole is a long par 4 and I slice it off the box into the right rough under a tree limb. Its about 160 to the hole and I try to hit a low 8 iron just to get to the front. By this time you really can't find the ball in the air because its getting pretty dark. Out of nowhere it drops on the green about 6 foot behind the pin, I par it. Next up a par 3 and I bogey it. > > > > > > > > I skip to 18 and I can just barely see the fairway. I had been hitting my driver a little right almost every time. I hit this one and it felt like it went left but I couldn't see it in the air. I start driving up looking left and don't see it. I almost give up and go home but then I notice it on the right side of the fairway. I hit pitching wedge on to the green and make par. I was so happy when I left there. But golf is just such a crazy game for me. I could go back today and not be able to find the fairway or green. > > > > > > > > I often wonder what it would feel like to go out and shoot in the 70's and 80's consistently. It must make the game a lot more fun. Or are those low handicappers always chasing a lower score like me? I love the game but it does get to me at times. I will say for the last two years golf has helped change my life for the better. Won't get in to specifics but I owe the game for helping me feel better about myself....no matter what the score. > > > > > > yes, it was 80's, then 70's and now low 70's. It never ends. Is it more enjoyable? Its fun improving when the majority of others around you aren't. I would not say it is more enjoyable though. I can also tell you that you will always have bad days, that is golf. > > > > Rich can I ask you where you started out at? Were you a high handicapper or were you always pretty good? If you were a high handicapper what was some of the main things you did that got you to where you are today? > > I was a self taught golfer, took the game up when I was about 16. When I was 18 I shot around 100. Played a lot when I was 20-22 and shot low 80's-upper 70's on a few really easy/short courses. Gave up the game for 15 years. When I started back up I was upper 80's on the easy courses, that was 8 years ago. I got to a 9 handicap but could not get better. Found this website and tried tips in this forum and from yt and stayed around a 9. Finally went to see Dan Carraher in person. I took the change and spent all last winter hitting into a net with a skytrak to ingrain it. I am a 2 right now and my season is over. I play a very difficult course now and my low round was a 2 under 70 and my average round is a 76 for the year. If you want my advice, stop watching YT, stop getting pointers from here and go see Dan or Monte in person. Just know that they will show you the way but the way is very difficult, frustrating and time consuming. I don't work on my swing during the season, winter is the perfect time. Hitting into a net makes me not care about the results so I can just focus on making the change. Golf is hard. Thanks Rich for the reply!
  9. > @"rich s" said: > > @jeffreydan32 said: > > So it gets dark around 6:30 now here in Arkansas. I leave for Hilton Head Thursday to play in the Amateur Golf Week tournament so I've been trying to practice as much as I can. I went to the driving range at lunch yesterday and really couldn't get anything to work. I was either left or right, never straight. > > > > My intention yesterday was to go back to the driving range and figure things out. When I got there it was about 5:30 so I decided to just go and play a few hole before it got dark. Man how I wish I could have had more daylight. First hole is a par 5 and I par it. Oh I'm about a 20 handicap. 2nd hole a par 4 and I bogey it. 3rd hole is a par 3 and I put it about 5 feet from the pin and birdie it. Next hole is a par 4 and I put it 3 feet from the pin for another birdie. First time in my life I've had back to back birdies. > > > > Skip to another par 3 and par it. Next up a par 5 and I bogey it, I usually par it but my mind started getting to me a little. Next up another par 5 and I blade my third shot to double the hole. Next hole is a long par 4 and I slice it off the box into the right rough under a tree limb. Its about 160 to the hole and I try to hit a low 8 iron just to get to the front. By this time you really can't find the ball in the air because its getting pretty dark. Out of nowhere it drops on the green about 6 foot behind the pin, I par it. Next up a par 3 and I bogey it. > > > > I skip to 18 and I can just barely see the fairway. I had been hitting my driver a little right almost every time. I hit this one and it felt like it went left but I couldn't see it in the air. I start driving up looking left and don't see it. I almost give up and go home but then I notice it on the right side of the fairway. I hit pitching wedge on to the green and make par. I was so happy when I left there. But golf is just such a crazy game for me. I could go back today and not be able to find the fairway or green. > > > > I often wonder what it would feel like to go out and shoot in the 70's and 80's consistently. It must make the game a lot more fun. Or are those low handicappers always chasing a lower score like me? I love the game but it does get to me at times. I will say for the last two years golf has helped change my life for the better. Won't get in to specifics but I owe the game for helping me feel better about myself....no matter what the score. > > yes, it was 80's, then 70's and now low 70's. It never ends. Is it more enjoyable? Its fun improving when the majority of others around you aren't. I would not say it is more enjoyable though. I can also tell you that you will always have bad days, that is golf. Rich can I ask you where you started out at? Were you a high handicapper or were you always pretty good? If you were a high handicapper what was some of the main things you did that got you to where you are today?
  10. > @bazinky said: > The golf gods know when you don't possibly have enough time to complete a round and can be really cruel. I've never broken par (lowest score for 18 is a 73). I had a flight for work scheduled for the late afternoon, but decided to play with some buddies that morning at one of the tougher tracks in the area. I was -3 through 10 when a huge thunderstorm rolled in and I wasn't able to finish the round. I'm still bitter about it. You had a nice round going! Hope you break par soon!
  11. So it gets dark around 6:30 now here in Arkansas. I leave for Hilton Head Thursday to play in the Amateur Golf Week tournament so I've been trying to practice as much as I can. I went to the driving range at lunch yesterday and really couldn't get anything to work. I was either left or right, never straight. My intention yesterday was to go back to the driving range and figure things out. When I got there it was about 5:30 so I decided to just go and play a few hole before it got dark. Man how I wish I could have had more daylight. First hole is a par 5 and I par it. Oh I'm about a 20 handicap. 2nd hole a par 4 and I bogey it. 3rd hole is a par 3 and I put it about 5 feet from the pin and birdie it. Next hole is a par 4 and I put it 3 feet from the pin for another birdie. First time in my life I've had back to back birdies. Skip to another par 3 and par it. Next up a par 5 and I bogey it, I usually par it but my mind started getting to me a little. Next up another par 5 and I blade my third shot to double the hole. Next hole is a long par 4 and I slice it off the box into the right rough under a tree limb. Its about 160 to the hole and I try to hit a low 8 iron just to get to the front. By this time you really can't find the ball in the air because its getting pretty dark. Out of nowhere it drops on the green about 6 foot behind the pin, I par it. Next up a par 3 and I bogey it. I skip to 18 and I can just barely see the fairway. I had been hitting my driver a little right almost every time. I hit this one and it felt like it went left but I couldn't see it in the air. I start driving up looking left and don't see it. I almost give up and go home but then I notice it on the right side of the fairway. I hit pitching wedge on to the green and make par. I was so happy when I left there. But golf is just such a crazy game for me. I could go back today and not be able to find the fairway or green. I often wonder what it would feel like to go out and shoot in the 70's and 80's consistently. It must make the game a lot more fun. Or are those low handicappers always chasing a lower score like me? I love the game but it does get to me at times. I will say for the last two years golf has helped change my life for the better. Won't get in to specifics but I owe the game for helping me feel better about myself....no matter what the score.
  12. > @DavePelz4 said: > > @jeffreydan32 said: > > > @DavePelz4 said: > > > Congrats JD! That's awesome you did so well in your event and made it to the national finals. Will be rooting for you and looking forward to hearing about your next event! > > > > Thanks so much man! I will post updates after each round. > > And don't be afraid to go into more detail. Not sure if you've ever read any of Obee's round recaps but they are a great template and fun read. Awesome I wasn't sure how much was too much but I can assure you that it would be very comical...lol
  13. > @DavePelz4 said: > Congrats JD! That's awesome you did so well in your event and made it to the national finals. Will be rooting for you and looking forward to hearing about your next event! Thanks so much man! I will post updates after each round.
  14. Thanks Big Red....we are flying in and out of Savannah.
×
×
  • Create New...