2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Most Under/Overrated Golf Company

cfreeman8

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to break my opinion down to the exact equipment.

Woods:

Overrated: Taylormade. I do have a TM driver, however I bought this one dirt cheap and it works. I'm not banging the ball 20% further or 50% straighter. It was a good deal for a dissent driver. However, I'm not spending close to a grand for a TM.

Underrated: Titleist. They do exactly what they say the do.

Irons:

Overrated: Have 2.

Nike. All the hype with their slingshot line and I can't hit them for crap. (My personal experience.)

Mizuno. All that loot, and they don't magically change your swing to Ben Hogan's.

Underrated: Callaway better player irons. (X-Tours, X-Pro Series, X-20 Tours, X-Forged) Great forgiveness, but still extremely workable. Amazing.

Wilson. Nice irons for a nice price.

Wedges:

Overrated: Vokey. For that much loot the ball better give a strip tease to the hole right before it dives in.

Underrated: Mizuno. No hype, but it does what it says it will.

Putters:

Overrated: Cameron. Again, for that much loot, you should never two putt again, just one putts from 60 feet away. Heck, you should be able to putt from the tee box and sink it in one.

Underrated: Nike and Odyssey. The Nikes may look terrible, but they do roll the ball to the hole.

Odyssey b/c they have a putter for almost everyone for an okay price.

Balls:

Overrated Titleist. I play well with this ball, but I play better with others. For the price I should never have to even look at another ball.

Underrated: Again have 2

Top-Flite: These guys have come a long way baby. Have you hit the FREAK or the Gamer yet? You will be amazed.

Bridgestone: The e5s and the e6s are amazing. Not too fond of the e5+s however.

Bags (Stand):

Overrated Ping. For that price my bag better never topple over. My gf has one, and the legs keep giving way.

Underrated: Callaway. That XTT stand bag system works great. Not to mention how durable it is. A lot of travel and nothing broken, I have to say I am impressed.

Bags (Cart):

Overrated: Any Staff Bag. Unless you have a caddy that wants to have back problems, what's the point? Hard to carry, and they aren't really built for carts.

Underrated: Any real "Cart Bag". Nothing like a bag that fits on a cart properly and has a cooler for cold beverages while you play, if you use a cart.

Shoes:

Overrated: Any shoe that costs more than 50 bucks and isn't fitted to you. Why spend the money to look cool for three other people if your shoes don't fit?

Underrated: FJ Contour line. Great shoe for a great price, especially for us with wide feet.

Apparel (This one will throw you for a loop):

Overrated: UnderArmour. Very expensive for what it does.

Underrated: UnderArmour. When it's on sale, which most of the time they are, they wear great, feel great, and wick that sweat right away, but still allow the breeze to cool you off.

Tees:

Overrated: Brush Tee. Does this need to be explained?

Underrated: Good old fashioned wooden tee. 300 count at Wal-Mart for a buck. Can't beat that with a stick. Oh wait, you can.

Amusing thread.

I agree with the previous poster. I was on the range and tried the Callaway X-20 Tour w/ Dynamic Gold SL stiff. WOW!!!! Exceeded my expectations by a long shot.

I never have warmed to Ping. But where I belong, I am one of the few that doesn't play Ping (my club used to be owned by Karsten Solheim). So, for me, Ping is overrated compared to my expectations of them. I also never got into the Mizuno thing - yes, they look great and are of high quality, but they don't play any differently than a slew of other clubs.

TM? They make good equipment and I have never had a quality problem with them. Nike? I like their equipment, but it doesn't make you Tiger Woods.

Most underrated...

Tour Edge and their Exotics line of woods.

Just the best on the market!

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3 & 5 fw  Even Flow Green   
TM                   M4   4 & 5 hybrid  Atmos 

TM                  P790  6-PW Recoil ESX

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  

TM                  Spider cs  Golf Pride P Only Blue Star 

Overrated,

Callaway indeed.

Not even to be considered............... NIKE.

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3 & 5 fw  Even Flow Green   
TM                   M4   4 & 5 hybrid  Atmos 

TM                  P790  6-PW Recoil ESX

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  

TM                  Spider cs  Golf Pride P Only Blue Star 

Overrated: TaylorMade, although I would love a set of their MB irons (1 of the nicest blades out there).

Underrated: Yonex, Adams, Bridgestone

I played Yonex ADX Tour irons for 15 years, people used to look in my bag and with a puzzled look say "Yonex!".

Then I'd let them hit them and most would respond with "wow, these are nice!".

I've only responded on manufacturers of clubs I have owned.

TaylorMade R5 TP - this was my driver for about 1/2 a year til a J33R knocked it out, then the Yonex Ct knocked the J33R out.

NOTE: I went from playing the same irons for 15 years to now having 3 sets of irons, Adams ATours (red) w/Studio irons, Ping i10's w/nvs, and my old gamers. Need to get myself into rehab cuz I want a set of Black Pearls w/ Aerotech Steel fiber shafts!

Overated, Titleist --> they used to be the best in pretty much every category in the late 90s and early 2000s, everyone was playing the 975D and the irons and wedges were second to none. They then got passed over and are now making pretty much middle of the road equipment (still very good, just not as good as it was) and everyone still thinks. Ohhhh, Titleist (especially for balls).

Overated, Cleveland --> they are still good, but IMO they always had quality control issues. I still think their wedges are among the best, but their irons and FWs just never really were all that good.

Overated, TM --> they seem like the new Titleist, but they dilute their brand with far too many offerings, especially in the driver department.

Underated, Adams --> They are among the best in performance and are among the best in price.

Underated, Bridgestone ---> very solid, nobody thinks about them.

Ping 430 LST 9* set to 7.5*  ventus TR blue 6x

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎3+ Kai'li 70x

Ping g425 max 7 wood set to 19* w Ventus TR blue 8X

Srixon ZX utility 23* Ventus Black 9tx

Srixon ZX-7 5-AW, Project X 6.5 LZ

Cleveland RTX mid bounce 56 and 60 DG S400

Odyssey metal x milled 2-ball mid, 

Srixon Z-Star 💎

Overrated Titleist balls, and woods love the wedges and irons. TM's prices

Underrated Adams/Mcgregor clubs and Srixon/bridgestone balls

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Overrated=Taylor Made, for the amount of play and exposure they get their equipment is very average, in fact most of thier game improvement stuff is all smoke and mirrors and probably hurts more games than it helps with all the draw biased crap. Let's face it they have done a great job in marketing tour presence, but as most know the stuff the tour player use is so custom that it does not trickle down to the average Joe.

Under Rated-MacGregor, Wilson, Srixon and Ping. I say Ping because they do such a good job of custom fitting and most people dont understand how valuable that can be. Everyone wants something off the rack that looks good in the bag, i.e. Callaway and Taylor Made. Nike also makes good equipment, yet many people just hate them, those with an open mind know they make good stuff, but not any better than most, so they are underrated by some but not others. Those who play Nike just because they like Tiger also tend to over rate them.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

If another person says titleist are over rated then i think i'll throw my PC out of the window. I peronally play callaway equipment at the moment, but have always respected and understood the FACT that Titleist are the OVERALL number one brand i.e product info, customer service, custom fitting, new products.

When buying the 905R for example, you can choose from 48 SHAFTS on a custom option!!, most of which carry no upcharge. Nike, cally, taylormade and PING are a million miles away from this kind of service.

Yes, thank you Sir!!!!

Overrated: Titleist hands down.

They have no technological advancements or research.

They were the last to try a three-piece solid ball.

They still use the same dimple pattern from the 1980's (except for the Pro V1 X).

They were the last to go 460cc in a driver.

Their current AP1 is just a Ping S58 while their AP2 is sort of like a Nike CCI Forged.

Cameron putters with changeable weights are just coming out now, long after Bobby Grace's M1 or even the Taylor Made MWT putters.

Can you imagine it is only their new possible release that they are using a composite crown for their driver, while other companies such as Mizuno have moved away from composite on the crown already after trying it for years because they found beta-titanium just as light? Titleist is always late to the party.

Has Titleist ever came up with a technological advancement where they were the first on the door?

Never. It make me wonder if they even have an R&D team.

They are vastly overrated.

OVER: Taylormade

UNDER: MacGregor, Wilson Staff. Others really just don't understand the rich history, tradition, and craftsmanship behind these club makers. I find it sad to see how underrated they are.

However, MacGregor Golf is really coming back with their new line ups this year. I'm excited especially after hearing about their new prototypes due for late this year or next year. MacGregor's just getting started.

OVERRATED

Drivers : current Titleist line up

Irons : TM

Wedges : TM

Putters : TM

Balls : none that I can think of

UNDERRATED

Drivers : Srixon

Irons : Wilson

Wedges : Wilson, Mizuno, Srixon

Putters : YES

Balls : Wilson, Bridgestone, Srixon

Driver : Srixon Z745 10.5* Stiff / Callaway Bertha Mini 1.5 Stiff
3W : Callaway X2 Hot Tour Stiff
5W : Adams XTD-ti 15* Stiff
3Hi : Adams XTD-ti 20* Stiff
4Hi : Adams XTD-ti 23* Stiff
Irons : 4-7 Wilson Staff FG Tour V2, 8-PW Wilson Staff FG59
50* : Wilson Staff PMP
56* : Wilson Staff PMP
Putter : Wilson Staff 8802

Balls : Wilson Staff FG Tour / Srixon Q Star Yellow

Overated:

- In general and in no particular order: TaylorMade drivers, ANY golf shaft over $250 ( or thereabouts), Vokey spin milled, the Ryder Cup, any thing or event or person with the word "Super" in it (including the derivative, super-duper), Faldo on the Golf Channel, Callaway FTi driver, Myrtle Beach (but only whenever I go because it usually never gets above 40*), light beer, my wife's friends' husbands, hitting into a net, a Caddy (except for jokes), Scotty Cameron, the Doral, Masters of the Universe (you know who you are), half time and brush tees.

Underated:

- In general and in no particular order: Srixon, Bridgestone equipment in USA, Adams hybrids, The British Open, Ciroc vodka, Wilson Di7 irons, Lessons, swedish fish, Ping putters (see Cameron above), Black Labs, Amateur tours, walking instead of riding, Medicus, skis and lucky socks.

I think we might be related. Except I've never been to Myrtle Beach.

And how the heck is Masters of the Universe overrated? Don't tell me GI Joe is also overrated too...

On the underrated card; walking, The British Open and lucky socks are the winners.

Over:

- Callaway woods (have tried several over the last 3 years and haven't liked a one.)

- Titlest balls (see above. I've been playing Callaway and Bridgestone balls and liking them more.)

- Putters that look like part of Predator's mask (I'm looking at you Rossa Monza)

- Staff bags (prevents walking)

- Draw bias (this was mentioned before, but I have to reiterate. when a good swing turns in to a snap hook.)

Under:

- Playing alone (I like this just as much, and sometimes more, than playing with friends)

- Old Hogan Apex series irons [Edge, Plus, etc.] (I have a new love affair with these old forged cavity backs)

- Bridgestone and Callaway balls (see above)

- A fade

- Mizuno wedges (I'm loving 'em)

Overrated:

Callaway

Underrated:

Cobra

The reason I say Cobra is because it seems like a lot of people are willing to give Cobra a shot, but for some reason don't pull the trigger as much with them. Their drivers are definitely played by a lot of people, but their fairway woods, hybrids, and irons always seem to be behind in terms of sales. This is just from my perspective, but their stuff is unbelievable, and a lot of it at a better price. (S9's as an example of forgiving irons...way better than Big Berthas or anything else, but not as commonly played).

Most over rated=Ping,Callaway...even though i like the way they are changing trying to get the younger guys $$$

Most under rated= Components,Wilson,Adams or Nickent...and Nike because people act like that you have a atom bomb in your bag when you say you play nike or you just play Nike because you are on his nizzuts.i have been a die hard nike fan since day 1!......because Research and Development, fresh and new looking products....people really should stop being so closed minded about their equipment...just because it's new and they cant play with anything that isnt Taylormade,Titleist,Ping or Callaway emblazoned on it..thats not what this game is about.......shot by shot and skills.....i would take a custom set of the crappiest component heads and take all there mortgage $ of the guys with these $$ clubs..that even goes for my swooshes.but i like to much to get rid of em. :clapping:

That is a ignorant statement considering there are 25,000+ members here......and you challenged all of us.....Nike makes a great club, but because of ignorant people like you they do not get credit for it!!!!!

Nike probably has the best players/staffers under contract but I recall Philly Mac once saying that Tiger Woods was the only player good enough to overcome the equiptment he is stuck with.That being said, I really did like the Nike wedges I had a few years back.As for their ball? Bridgestone makes it.If you are playing a Nike "One" you are in reality playing a Bridgestone ball.Ive never hit their drivers or irons so I cant really comment.But Titleist overrated? WOW! They have only been doing this for about a hundred years now.

Most Overrated - Callaway / Hogan - Most still talk about Hogan with reverential terms, but the fact is after Ben Hogan was bought out and became uninvolved in the day-to-day operation, the quality story quickly left. And has Callaway had an opportunity to resurrect the great Hogan name, but decided to asist in the final destruction of the great man's name and product, I place them in the overrated category.

Most Underrated - Mizuno - I am biased as a long time Mizuno user, but the fact is that I have never bought a Mizuno forged iron that wasn't of the highest quality and finest design. Additional products such as the MP-600 driver, the MP Fli-Hi products, and the new MP-T and MP-R wedges area as good as or better than any other products on the market.

2nd Most Underrated - Titleist Balls - With everyone saying that Titleist is overrated, and recognizing that there are many high quality ball products on the market today, the fact is that the Pro V1 and Pro V1X are still the balls against which all others are measured. The fact is that for the last 40 years, Titleist is the premier ball in the world, and the fact that many have them as overrated strikes me as an underrating of their impact on golf.

Just my opinion.

WITB

Ping G430 Max 9.0 degree Diamana ZF 60 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 5 wood 18 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Mizuno Pro 243  4 - G Modus 120 Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM9  56-14F, 60-10S

Scotty Cameron Super Select Del Mar

Titleist Pro V1 / Pro V1X