Official Bio Cell + Thread

pollock21

This is the driver I'm most interested in trying out this season. There is already a bio cell thread that has taken off with some info on the + scattered in, but I wanted to make a dedicated thread for reviews of the + as well a question and answer forum for the driver.

I went to the Golfsmith in Charlotte today hoping they'd have one in stock, but no luck. Did hit the bio cell with the stock stiff and loved the sound and feel, but the shaft was just a terrible fit for my swing and spin rates were pretty high. I'm really looking at the bio cell + with the free D+ upgrade as the setup I want. Just need to find somewhere with the club in stock to demo.

Anyone out there have any experience with the bio cell +? What about reviews and opinions of the stock shaft options? The black tie is one of my favorite shafts I've ever hit, so I'm not sure that the profile of the red tie will suit me well, so I'm leaning towards the D+.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4
Fairway: TSi2 3 & 5 PX RDX Black 6.5
Irons: PXG 0311P Gen 3 4-P
Wedges: Zipcore Tour Rack 50/54/60
Putter: 2021 Ping Tyne CS

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hit the bio cell + today. I hit it with the red tie shaft in stiff flex. Right now My gamer is a 913d3 with the stiff dinama D+ stiff flex in a 9.5* cranked to 10.5*.. I really like the 440cc drivers. The bio cell+ looks bigger then 440cc at address (probably the orange and white paint scheme). I am pretty long (300+) with a SS 116-118 mph and pretty smooth. I hit the bio cell + today indoors but they where flying off the face! This is a really solid driver. I needed a little more loft though as I was hitting them on frozen ropes out to the end of the dome! I found the driver really loud though. To the point where it actually hurt my ears.

I really liked the feel of the red tie shaft though. I have hit the black tie before and found it to lack feel and felt really boardy. Not the red tie it felt great (might actually look for one for my 913)

This is a solid driver, I would put it right there with my 913d3 and the SLDR 430 which I really liked as well!!

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

I have heard really good things about these. Bio cell and the Bio cell +. I have heard they are not super low spin and not high spin. Sort of in the middle yet the MOI numbers are rumored to be good. So the magic for some is that combo. Forgiving and low spin. We will see. I am interested to try one.

ohhh some pics...

I would get over the paint job real quickly if they perform.

[attachment=2071165:d025d9efc76ef44bb98d36155bb48846.jpg][attachment=2071167:7609bdc0a8431d0389b33ce84ec39273.jpg][attachment=2071169:f013cb364537e3d1dde72015e7b8889e.jpg][attachment=2071171:e223e7f0c7f1a5f343f9113045f99bc3.jpg][attachment=2071173:778c1fd6f10abfb0c496b1d18693060e-620x400.jpg]

I love the paint style on these, much perfered over the regular bio cell. I know I'm mostly in the minority when it comes to looks on these, but man they are just gorgoues to my eyes.

TM SLDR 11° Fujikura Fuel 60
TM SLDR 15° MRC Blueboard 73x5ct
9031DF 20°~23° Altus Black Tie, ADDI 105
Cally RAZR X Forged 5-AW, PX flighted
Dynacraft CNC Forged 56°&60°
Scotty Cameron Cali Monterey

Did not care for the paint scheme or the elimination of most open setting, but head is a solid option for the majority of golfers and more forgiving for misses low on the face than Amp Cell Pro.

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

I've hit both Bio Cells several times now and they are great sticks. The forgiveness of the regular Bio Cell is better for me, but if you need a spin killer than the + is a great choice with the Red Tie.

Ping G430 Max 9* Kai’li white 60

Callaway Paradym 15*
Titleist TSR2 21* hybrid Atmos blue
Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-P

Titleist SM9 48*
Titleist SM7 54* & 58* Slate Blue
Ping Ketch/SC Select Newport II Midslant

I have heard great things as well, which mirrors last year and the amp cell pro. This is a driver that a lot of people had no intention buying - yet the numbers and forgiveness were undeniable. In the end it was a tough decision as some people weren't sold on the look. Personally the color wasn't the negative it was the hosel face interchange that bothered me. My 2014 driver is set - but I will go back in and do some testing to verify the good things.

Can't wait to get my hand on a Bio+. I picked up the regular Bio and it's solid. Looking to compare it against the + with the same shaft. (Kuro Kage Proto tini 70XX) since it's still snowing here, no point in rushing to buy one. If it's the same as last year, I waited until April and picked up the Amp Pro for a song. Why no Cobra love? Best drivers year after year IMO. I've had basically all of them since the famous L4V. Sure, the paint might not be everyone's cup of tea, but these heads perform.

Going for a fitting tomorrow and look to come out with all the new Bio Cell+ gear. Same as you OP looking to take advantage of the free Diamana D+ upgrade in both the Driver and Fairway woods. I hit the reg Bio Cell irons and they felt good and did not look bad in person esp the orange and black.

[color=#ff8c00]Cobra BIO Cell+ 9.5* Driver Diamana D+ 72X
Cobra BIO Cell+ 3/5 Wood Diamana D+ 72X[/color]
Cobra Fly-Z Forged 4-PW KBS Tour X
Cobra Tour Trusty 50/54/58 KBS Hi-Rev X
Cobra Cell Cart Bag
Scotty Cameron Newport 2
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/989801-adambs-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='kwooten31' timestamp='1392535979' post='8678183']
I love the paint style on these, much perfered over the regular bio cell. I know I'm mostly in the minority when it comes to looks on these, but man they are just gorgoues to my eyes.
[/quote]

I like them too, somewhat surprisingly. Would definitely use the black or gray with no issue at all.

Taylormade SIM Max  – 10.5°
Taylormade M4  – 16.5°
Titleist 818H1 - 22.5°
Titleist AP1 718 – 4-P
Titleist AP1 718 – 48°
Cleveland CBX – 54°
Taylormade EF – 60° 
Ping Vault 2.0 Craz-E H   

I demoed the Bio Cell+ 3-4W on the course yesterday and came away extremely impressed. I have a few more to demo on course, but so far this one might be the best fairway wood I've ever hit. It's also the first Cobra club of any type I've ever really liked. They are definitely stepping up their game with the Bio Cell line.

I like the sound of the cobra marketing pitch for the design of this, going with the low center of gravity, but not so far forward to decrease the MOI as much as some of the other designs.

I smoke my R1, but the feel and sound just don't do it for me. But I can get past a lot of things if the driver performs. I did get to hit a 9* sldr 430 with the x-stiff tp 77 gram shaft. The numbers on that were great. I even caught one of the famed 17* 1700rpm. Of course, all those numbers were on the golfsmith monitor for what that's worth. But apples to apples, the spin rates were def lowest with the sldr. Of course, comparing that to the bio cell with pxv in stiff isn't a fair comparison. I'm really anxious to see how this head compares spin wise to the R1 or even SLDR. I doubt it's as low as the SLDR, but if it's in the ballpark of it or the R1, then it's probably going in the bag.

Very solid stick! Have been hitting the plus at Demo days for the last month and a half. Got mine yesterday and love it! Plus how can you beat a driver that has three stock shafts for no up charge!!!

Epic SZ 9.0 Evenflow 6.5
M2 TOUR 15* KK TiNi X
TM Stage 2 tour 18*
2013 Xforged PX 6.0
Mizuno 50,54,58
TM Mullen/ Jeremy Richards RT1

I tried it, and wanted to like it, but I could not get over the paint job. I really wish they could have gone with one color over the multi colored top. It reminds me too much of the look of the HiBore without the soup ladle top.

Driver. RBZ Tour TP 9 Kaili 70x
Three Wood: RBZ Tour TP 14.5 RIP Beta 70
Hybrid: Adams Super LS 19 Kuro Kage
Irons: TaylorMade 2014 CB 4,5, MC 6-PW
Putter: Odyssey Protype Black #9
Wedges: Vokey 53/10 and 59/7

I'm seeing some decent deals on these on the bay. Might jump on one with the red tie and swap in my black tie or 757.

Will these adapters get damaged from the heat when you swap out shafts?

[quote name='pollock21' timestamp='1392654215' post='8686471']
I'm seeing some decent deals on these on the bay. Might jump on one with the red tie and swap in my black tie or 757.

Will these adapters get damaged from the heat when you swap out shafts?
[/quote]
Not at all. I already pulled a few and they're great. No ferrule needed either as it's built into the adaptor. Best design yet IMO.

Thanks for the info marcjinc!

Great point as well jay65. I hit the bio cell with a stiff flex PX shaft and was seeing spin in the 3300 range. I can safely assume that head paired with my x-stiff black tie would show a huge drop in spin. I don't know if it would knock 1000 off, but I bet the difference would be huge. May be something to consider. I think fowler is gaming the standard version so there's something to be said for that as well.

[quote name='jay65' timestamp='1392674939' post='8688673']
I have the standard Bio Cell with a Kiyoshi White in it, and its very low spin. So, if anyone is thinking Bio Cell+ is needed to knock spin off, its not necessarily the case with the right shaft in the Standard Bio Cell.
[/quote]

Jay65, do you have any LM numbers to post for us? I'm curious to see how low the spin is with your setup.

[quote name='pollock21' timestamp='1392687121' post='8690345']
Thanks for the info marcjinc!

Great point as well jay65. I hit the bio cell with a stiff flex PX shaft and was seeing spin in the 3300 range. I can safely assume that head paired with my x-stiff black tie would show a huge drop in spin. I don't know if it would knock 1000 off, but I bet the difference would be huge. May be something to consider. I think fowler is gaming the standard version so there's something to be said for that as well.
[/quote]
I'm not entirely convinced he's playing the standard Bio head. He may be playing the + painted like the regular. Just a thought.

[quote name='pollock21' timestamp='1392687282' post='8690369']
[quote name='jay65' timestamp='1392674939' post='8688673']
I have the standard Bio Cell with a Kiyoshi White in it, and its very low spin. So, if anyone is thinking Bio Cell+ is needed to knock spin off, its not necessarily the case with the right shaft in the Standard Bio Cell.
[/quote]

Jay65, do you have any LM numbers to post for us? I'm curious to see how low the spin is with your setup.
[/quote]

I tried mine very briefly on the range when I picked it up, and whilst the weather wasn't doing any favours with a 25-30mph headwind, pouring rain and very cold, and the good old Srixon one piece range balls, I didn't think that launch would be particularly informative. However, I'm off to a Ping Fitting Day today, and the weather is a touch better, so I'm going to get on Flightscope today with the Bio Cell/Kiyoshi White. I think the combo I have may be less than ideal for me, and a Kiyoshi White trade may be in order, but I have to get some numbers today to confirm that. I may get a surprise, who knows.

But I'll have those Flightscope numbers for you later today, so stay tuned.

On the subject of Ricki Fowler, my understanding is, that he is also using his set at 11.5 Degrees, so with the right shaft combo, it can be very low spinning with the right AoA. I think the standard Stock Red Tie 6Q3 that comes in the Bio Cell+ could be a very nice option in the standard Bio Cell too.

As I said, I'll have those numbers posted with the Standard Bio Cell/Kiyoshi White Combo later today.

I saw in another post that Fowler is playing his driver at 11.5*, but its a left hand adapter, so he's really playing at 8.5*. My only guess would be the left hand adapter draw settings would equate to open settings in a right hand head.

But he is definitely not playing that head at 11.5*!

I have a 10.5 R1 with a vts silver 7x. I hit the bio cell + with a white tie in stiff and somewhere around 60-65 grams. I did not like the feel. It just felt dead to me. I thought with a lighter and softer shaft it would feel similar to the amp cell pro but it didnt. At least to me it didnt. I will give it another whirl here in the next month or so but it will have to impress me next time in order to consider it.

[quote name='pollock21' timestamp='1392740095' post='8694021']
I saw in another post that Fowler is playing his driver at 11.5*, but its a left hand adapter, so he's really playing at 8.5*. My only guess would be the left hand adapter draw settings would equate to open settings in a right hand head.

But he is definitely not playing that head at 11.5*!
[/quote]

How do you know he isn't? Please tell us the insider information you have?