Official Bio Cell + Thread

pollock21

[quote name='pollock21' timestamp='1393980189' post='8799127']
I checked out both of those reviews, not really what I was looking for. Seemed to be more about the bio cell, or about the clubs in general. I was looking for more of a Mark Crossfield type of review, hitting the club, spin numbers, etc. I'm sure eventually someone will do a review like that.
[/quote]

[quote name='pollock21' timestamp='1393980189' post='8799127']
I checked out both of those reviews, not really what I was looking for. Seemed to be more about the bio cell, or about the clubs in general. I was looking for more of a Mark Crossfield type of review, hitting the club, spin numbers, etc. I'm sure eventually someone will do a review like that.
[/quote]

[media=]http://youtu.be/Jf1sqSTqvpE[/media]

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pollock21

I have the standard Bio cell for the FW (No lefty love on the +) went with the 5-7 for the same reasons though, smaller than a 3 wood little more loft, mine is set at 17, but enough loft to use as a secondary driving club if needed.

It has delivered quite well so far, flight is fairly high and I am getting great smash and ball speed numbers which is what I want out of a fairway wood.

Cant speak to versatility as this is all off a mat and our Canadian winter is showing no sign off stopping, but the shape and size look like they will work well out of some gnarly lies if needed.

Only complaint so far would be workability, I typically play a draw but do like having the option to fade it if need be and find it to be pretty hard to move this one left (lefty).

DI7X is awesome in the wood btw.

I am still waffling back and forth between the BioCell+ and the Alpha, they both look and perform great, but I think the Alpha is just a bit lower spin. I do really love the way the + frames the ball though, and how it sits wide open like my RBZ Tour. I am waiting to see a few more reviews, and club test I guess before I pull the trigger.

Driver. RBZ Tour TP 9 Kaili 70x
Three Wood: RBZ Tour TP 14.5 RIP Beta 70
Hybrid: Adams Super LS 19 Kuro Kage
Irons: TaylorMade 2014 CB 4,5, MC 6-PW
Putter: Odyssey Protype Black #9
Wedges: Vokey 53/10 and 59/7

Thanks for the follow up Sieve35! I pulled the trigger on one today, stupid paypal account balance burning holes in my pocket, LOL I got it with the d+ upgrade.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4
Fairway: TSi2 3 & 5 PX RDX Black 6.5
Irons: PXG 0311P Gen 3 4-P
Wedges: Zipcore Tour Rack 50/54/60
Putter: 2021 Ping Tyne CS

You guys have been a big help. I finally gave the Bio + a run today and after some tweaking, I really liked it! Ending up finding that 10.5* was best for me which is one up from my ZLE.

I found the Red Tie to be solid, but it might be a tad stout for me at stiff. While my SS is 103, I play the "stout" Grafalloy White/Blue in a Regular and if I go with the stock Red Tie, I'm thinking the same. I ran out of time today and did not get a chance to test the regular. Did anyone else find it to be a bit on the stout side if you are a "tweener?"

I would also like to give it a run with the Kuro Kage in it... for those that have tested both the Red Tie and the KK, what were your findings? Thanks!

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen4 @ 10.5* w/Tour AD VR-6 S

Fairway: PXG 0341 X GEN4 @ 15* w/PX Evenflow Riptide CB 60g
Fairway: Callaway Mavrik @ 18* w/PX Evenflow Riptide 60g
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen4 Xtreme Dark Combination Set: 5-7 Gen4 XP; 8-GW Gen4 P w/SteelFiber 95
Wedges: Cleveland RTX Black Satin 50*  54*  58*

Putter: PXG Bat Attack-HS @ 35.5"
Ball: Wilson Staff Model

[color=#333333][size=3][background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]Got my first two rounds in this weekend with my +. Still adjusting to it and wasn't swinging well on Saturday. 5 hour and 15 min round caught up with me on the back, along with the beers. Had to drink to stay sane! Course was a complete swamp as we had a ton of rain here in Charlotte at the end of the week. I fought a snap hook on a few holes but that was swing related. I got into a couple and absolutely bombed them. Hit the longest drive of my life on #1 at Rocky River from the blues which are the next up from the tips. Had 60 yards left into the green and the fairway was swampy. I couldn't believe it. Best I've seen on that hole before was about 80 out. Also had a little miss on #18 which is a par 5 and ended up with my longest drive ever on that hole. Only beat my old mark by about a yard or so, but it was a strike lower than the center and out toward the toe a tad. It was a low draw that was just screaming. The forgiveness on off center strikes is just amazing with this thing.[/background][/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=3][background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]Today was another 5 hour round but I kept it together. Both days I and a beginner with me and that added to the frustration. Hit a drive, then wait for someone to take about 8 strokes to get to your ball...talk about tough. I got there early today and worked on the swing and it paid off. I hit some absolute bombs with this thing. The ball flight is a boring trajectory that I would compare to what you normally see from a titleist. I'm playing mine at 9.5 with a new 757 tipped 1/2" just shy of 45". The ball climbs to a nice high apex but it still has a nice angle of descent. The course was still wet, but I didn't have one drive that seemed to plug and stop, they all still released and rolled out.[/background][/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=3][background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]This is the most impressive driver I've ever gamed, and I'm a ho. I went to the R1 last year because I did pick up distance with it over my 913 d3, but the feel is harsh and it's not the most forgiving offering. This club has feel, forgiveness, and it will flat out go. It's the llama...long. Driver love with this thing.[/background][/size][/color]

[color=#333333][size=3][background=rgb(250, 250, 250)]I had my Dad demo this a few weeks back during his myrtle beach trip, and he played it along the alpha. He really liked both but gave the alpha the nod. It just worked for him, but he said that the plus was the best feeling driver he's ever hit. He's a ho too, so I wouldn't be surprised to see one in his bag at some point this season. haha[/background][/size][/color]

[quote name='sofla' timestamp='1394760263' post='8866993']
Is the stock Red Tie a made for or the real deal?
[/quote]

Real deal. Felt really nice when I demoed this club actually.

Stealth 2+ 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6x
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15* - Ventus TR Blue 7x
Taylormade Stealth UDI 3 iron - X100
Taylormade P770 4-5 iron - X100

Taylormade P7MC 6-pw - X100
Taylormade MG3 - 50 SB, 56 SB, 60 LB
Taylormade Juno TP long neck

Custom 1/1 Rory Nike Oven proto 006, Oven Method Matter B2/01

[quote name='Kylekoz17' timestamp='1394769003' post='8868001']
[/quote]

[/quote]

The reason I ask is because the one I bought yesterday (same stock shaft on the Cobra web site) differs in specs and picture than the Red Tie on the Matrix website. May be it's a different version, I just don't know. Not a big deal really. Hit it real well on the launch monitor and looking forward to comparing to the Big Bertha with the Tour Green shaft this weekend.

Titleist TSR2 Tour AD DI
Titleist TSR2+ Tour AD DI
Titleist TSR2 18 Speeder 757 Evo V

Mizuno Max Hybrid 22

Titleist T350 6-7

Titleist T200 8-48
Ping Glide 3.0 52,56,60
Scotty Cameron Jet Setter NP2

Me again,

I know a lot of people have been asking how this head compares to the regular Bio Cell head, luckily enough I have the Cell+ and had access to the Cell and a flightscope. I hit 10 shots with each, throwing out true mis-hits and spin outliers. Both heads were hit with the same AD DI 6X set at 11 degrees (11.5 on the Bio Cell)

Quick Note: You will see the ball speeds are almost identical and swing speeds/smash factor are different, I was also using foot spray and the contact was very similar, the flightscope was on indoor mode, our flightscope rep has always told me when using indoors to focus more on ballspeed then the other 2 numbers. That said I think the strikes and club head speed are very similar with both.

[attachment=2121681:BIO CELL Comparison.jpg]

Very Similar numbers, aside from shot shape and launch angle, found the Bio Cell wanted to turn over where the Cell+ was easier to work both ways (No real preferred shot shape or me).

Launch was also higher with Cell+ with similar spin which equaled more distance for me, which is basically what Cobra has said about the Cell+, Higher launch lower spin.

Overall 2 great heads but preer the higher launch, deeper face and less draw bias (for me) of the Cell+.

Hope this helps!

[quote name='sieve35' timestamp='1394975858' post='8881941']
Me again,

I know a lot of people have been asking how this head compares to the regular Bio Cell head, luckily enough I have the Cell+ and had access to the Cell and a flightscope. I hit 10 shots with each, throwing out true mis-hits and spin outliers. Both heads were hit with the same AD DI 6X set at 11 degrees (11.5 on the Bio Cell)

Quick Note: You will see the ball speeds are almost identical and swing speeds/smash factor are different, I was also using foot spray and the contact was very similar, the flightscope was on indoor mode, our flightscope rep has always told me when using indoors to focus more on ballspeed then the other 2 numbers. That said I think the strikes and club head speed are very similar with both.

Very Similar numbers, aside from shot shape and launch angle, found the Bio Cell wanted to turn over where the Cell+ was easier to work both ways (No real preferred shot shape or me).

Launch was also higher with Cell+ with similar spin which equaled more distance for me, which is basically what Cobra has said about the Cell+, Higher launch lower spin.

Overall 2 great heads but preer the higher launch, deeper face and less draw bias (for me) of the Cell+.

Hope this helps!
[/quote]

Good stuff! I find it interesting that the + spun a little bit more than the regular version. Maybe, that's just a function of the added .5 loft.

Callaway Paradym Triple 💎 10.5* Ventus Blue 6X/TR 6S
Titleist TSR2 16.5* (Set to 15.75*) Tour AD DI 7S
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid Tour AD IZ 85S
Titleist u505 4i (21*) Tour AD DI 95S

Srixon Zx7 MK II 5-PW, 51* AW - Modus 105S
Callaway Jaws 56*-Jaws Full Toe 60*-  DG 115 TI S200

Toulon Garage Custom Las Vegas H7 35”

[quote name='Hookasaurus Rex' timestamp='1394990129' post='8883219']
[quote name='sieve35' timestamp='1394975858' post='8881941']
Me again,

Hope this helps!
[/quote]

Good stuff! I find it interesting that the + spun a little bit more than the regular version. Maybe, that's just a function of the added .5 loft.
[/quote]

I think the extra spin comes from the extra launch angle, the fcat it can launch almost 3 degrees higher and spin roughly the same in my mind makes it lower spin, if it were set to 8 degrees the spin would be extremely low.

Same idea if the regular cell were to launch the same the spin would be much higher.

I have the lot set to 11 because I can use the extra launch angle, someone who hits it higher could easily set it to 8 and hit low spin ropes.

Uh oh! Longer than the SLDR? Still loving mine. Got a few swings in with the 5 wood bio cell + today and it's going to be a winner. I ordered it with the d+ upgrade and glad I did. High penetrating ball flight, extremely solid feeling head. What a lineup Cobra has out this year.

[quote name='sofla' timestamp='1394810665' post='8870313']
[quote name='Kylekoz17' timestamp='1394769003' post='8868001']
[/quote]

[/quote]

The reason I ask is because the one I bought yesterday (same stock shaft on the Cobra web site) differs in specs and picture than the Red Tie on the Matrix website. May be it's a different version, I just don't know. Not a big deal really. Hit it real well on the launch monitor and looking forward to comparing to the Big Bertha with the Tour Green shaft this weekend.
[/quote]

I'm interested in hearing how these 2 compare

Ping G LST 9*
Callaway Epic 3w & 5w Diamana Thump
X2 Hot #4 Hybrid Matrix White Tie
Ping ie1 5 - GW Nippon SPO
Cleveland RTX-3 54* 58*

I hit the Bio Cell + today and it sounded nothing like the cross field video - but I was indoors.

Can anyone comment on that loud ringing sound? It was super long but I was watching/listening for that cross field loud sasquatch sound and DID NOT hear it. Anyone else?

Is it loud outside but not indoors?

Callaway 816 DBD 9° Speeder TS
Titleist 915f 15° Diamana Blue
Callaway Apex Pro hybrid 3/20°
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-A, Modus 120-TS
Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1395796751' post='8951441']
I hit the Bio Cell + today and it sounded nothing like the cross field video - but I was indoors.

Can anyone comment on that loud ringing sound? It was super long but I was watching/listening for that cross field loud sasquatch sound and DID NOT hear it. Anyone else?

[/quote]

I've hit it pretty extensively indoors and it didn't sound anything like what was in the video.

Cobra Fly-Z+, Matrix VLCT
Cobra Fly-Z+ 3 Wood, Matrix VLCT
Nike VR Pro 3-4 Hybrids, PX6.0
PXG Gen3 P, Nippon NS Pro
PXG Sugar Daddy 54/60
Scotty GoLo

[quote name='Brick Tamland' timestamp='1395797668' post='8951605']
[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1395796751' post='8951441']

[/quote]

I've hit it pretty extensively indoors and it didn't sound anything like what was in the video.
[/quote]

Agreed - Anyone hit it extensively outdoors and think it sounds more muted? (or did you mean outdoors and type indoors?)

I think we may have a case of "get the right head because they all sound different !!"

Callaway 816 DBD 9° Speeder TS
Titleist 915f 15° Diamana Blue
Callaway Apex Pro hybrid 3/20°
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-A, Modus 120-TS
Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

I'm going to try an attend an outdoor demo day on Saturday, if it's not pouring out. I watched Crossfield's video as well and was surprised how loud it was. The regular Bio Cell sounded much better.

Cobra LTDx LS Diamana B 70
TEE CB4 Tour 15° Attas T2
SLDR 3H Speeder HB 9.8

Honma TW 737 P 4 iron
Honma TR 20V 5-PW PX LS
Vokey SM7 52° & 58°
Tour Issue Toulon Austin

I saw the bio cell plus at the pga store here in Dallas yesterday and some of them were offered with matching shaft/grip color combos. Ex red head, red tie(red color), and red grip. I cant seem to find anything on this on the cobra site but I will tell you the silver shaft with silver head and grey grip looked pretty sick

[quote name='Jimmie48' timestamp='1395843432' post='8954251']
I saw the bio cell plus at the pga store here in Dallas yesterday and some of them were offered with matching shaft/grip color combos. Ex red head, red tie(red color), and red grip. I cant seem to find anything on this on the cobra site but I will tell you the silver shaft with silver head and grey grip looked pretty sick
[/quote]

Ohhh, I'd like to see those... triple black would be my choice but all gray / silver sounds good too. For some reason I like the look of white shafts on the shelf but don't like seeing it through impact.

Cobra Fly-Z+, Matrix VLCT
Cobra Fly-Z+ 3 Wood, Matrix VLCT
Nike VR Pro 3-4 Hybrids, PX6.0
PXG Gen3 P, Nippon NS Pro
PXG Sugar Daddy 54/60
Scotty GoLo

Pics coming. [quote name='Brick Tamland' timestamp='1395848690' post='8954917']
[quote name='Jimmie48' timestamp='1395843432' post='8954251']
[/quote]

Ohhh, I'd like to see those... triple black would be my choice but all gray / silver sounds good too. For some reason I like the look of white shafts on the shelf but don't like seeing it through impact.
[/quote]

4A2A4712-4517-47E6-8264-C6DE64EB7232_zpsrcqkdjox.jpg

Pics coming.