2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Going to Playa Del Carmen - Golf Help!!! Course Reviews?? Lessons??

Hello Ill be going to the Royal Playa Del Carmen next Month for 4 days.

Im brining my clubs and would love to play 4 rounds (Wife is cool with it)

The Royal offers free Golf at PlayaCar golf resort (must buy Cart for $60)

Any Reviews on this Course???? I really want a good Range as I haven't played in about 7 months due to injury / endless terrible weather...

Does the hotel bring me to the course and back? I'll be playing as a single..

Any other courses I should check out? How would I get to the course from the hotel? Is it safe to take taxi's all over the city?

Will i get my head cut off?

How is the course at the Hilton? Mayakoba?? Looks like limited options.

What I REALLY want is to find a good instructor and Book a 4 Day lesson to get tuned up for the season! Any suggestions?????

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been in Playa del Carmen 3x and you'll enjoy the Playacar course. One of my favourites. It's only a 3-5 minute cab ride from your hotel. $60 is a good deal as it is normally $200 to play. Taxis are safe and reasonable. Check with the Pro shop there about lessons. They have a Pro but I don't have a clue about lessons $. You're there for 4 days. I can't see lessons being practical or worth it. Playacar has a decent range, but all balls are found balls from the course.

Playcar is one of the oldest courses in the area. Depending on what tee you use, it can be a good time or the hardest thing you have played. Lots of trees, bunkers and water. Bring a laser. Can be a busy place, but play is at a good pace. One day it was drizzling and they charged me $25 for the replay round. [b]All[/b] food and beverage is included in the round. If you like to play early, you can be done and back to your hotel by noon.

Mayakoba is a really nice course. Lots of lateral water hazards. Easy if you can hit it straight. If you have trouble hitting the fairway, you might need to stock up on balls. There are lots of bad things in the water hazards (on one hole I saw a 7' Boa Constrictor and the Mexican relative of the Cottonmouth) so don't go looking. Still a really nice course, but expensive. There will be hardly anyone on the course. Worth playing even if it is so you can say you were there when you watch the Pros on TV. The cart guys let me play another 9 n/c as I had tons of time before my ride came (played in under 3 hrs).

Played Riviera Maya as well. It's out by Tulum and is $60 cab ride each way. Really nice, but you need to know where you are going as there are plenty of blind holes or hidden dangers to avoid. Cost is going to be ~$200. Would liked to have played it twice, but as it would've been nice to know where you were going.

Lots of courses to chose from these days. Your hotel's travel guide can book anything for you or you can call the courses direct. My hotel guy got me a good deal on Riviera Maya $129 vs $190. Golf balls are expensive to buy so bring what you need. Several courses in and near Cancun. They are all high end and so are the prices. Most places have high end rentals so if you don't bring your clubs, you'll be okay.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

[quote name='shankman92' timestamp='1393773544' post='8777466']
Any other courses I should check out? How would I get to the course from the hotel? Is it safe to take taxi's all over the city?

Will i get my head cut off?
[/quote]
Playa del Carmen is safe. Taxi's are the way to get around, although I had no problem walking around either. Don't go around flashing a wad a cash. Carry what you need for that day and use a credit card for golf or big purchases. If you go out real late at night drinking (acting like a fool) or looking for drugs, I'm sure you'll find trouble. I feel safer walking around downtown Playa than I do in downtown Winnipeg.

MCC Align Midsize

[quote name='shankman92' timestamp='1394156268' post='8815575']
great reviews thanks!!

anyone else? What course has the best Range? Any recommendations for golf lessons when down there?
[/quote]
All the new courses have really nice ranges. The thing is, they aren't the kind of ranges where you can just go and use them since they are in gated compounds. I have used the range at Playacar on its own, but that was before the Timeshare buyout. Not sure if it is open to non-players anymore. I would call them to find out. Mayakoba has a [url="http://www.mayakobagolf.com/school.html"]Jim McLean teaching center[/url], but again, I don't know if it is open to people not at the resort. Worth a call ([color=#4A2E06][background=rgb(217, 221, 207)]Toll Free for the USA and Canada [/background][/color][color=#4A2E06][background=rgb(217, 221, 207)]1 (877) 316 2715[/background][/color]). The other resorts are likely too far away for reasonable travel time.

MCC Align Midsize

I played Playacar 4 or 5 years ago when I was in Telum for a wedding. Very nice course! They had a nice practice area so get there a little early if you can. A fair amount of water (3 or 4 holes if I remember...maybe a little more) but LOTS of "jungle"...pretty much if you hit it in there, just grab another ball (you never know what's in there). The two guys I played with bought a dozen balls each before we started...and ... another dozen at the turn! :taunt:[size=4] granted, they weren't great golfers, but it was penal to say the least...I think we paid $190.00 w/cart and free beverage/snack service - certainly on the high side but no too unreasonable when you figure in a few beers and munchies. Have Fun![/size]

The Mayakoba Course at the Fairmont is beautiful, and they hold an annual PGA event there each year. I didn't play there during my stay, but I walked the course 2 weeks prior to the event and it was in fantastic shape. The practice facility looked to be top-notch as well. I can concur with Socrates regarding the amount of play and the "hazards". There was hardly anyone on the course during my stay at the resort, so you can probably play at any time. Also, during a boat tour of the property I saw a 9-10 foot crocodile not too far from the course, so if your ball goes into the trash I wouldn't recommend chasing after it.

TaylorMade M2 9° Fujikuri Pro Stiff
Ping I3 2-PW Blue
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 52°
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 56°
Ping Karsten Ally i Putter

[quote name='Socrates' timestamp='1394162301' post='8816413']
[quote name='shankman92' timestamp='1394156268' post='8815575']
great reviews thanks!!

anyone else? What course has the best Range? Any recommendations for golf lessons when down there?
[/quote]
All the new courses have really nice ranges. The thing is, they aren't the kind of ranges where you can just go and use them since they are in gated compounds. I have used the range at Playacar on its own, but that was before the Timeshare buyout. Not sure if it is open to non-players anymore. I would call them to find out. Mayakoba has a [url="http://www.mayakobagolf.com/school.html"]Jim McLean teaching center[/url], but again, I don't know if it is open to people not at the resort. Worth a call ([color=#4A2E06][background=rgb(217, 221, 207)]Toll Free for the USA and Canada [/background][/color][color=#4A2E06][background=rgb(217, 221, 207)]1 (877) 316 2715[/background][/color]). The other resorts are likely too far away for reasonable travel time.
[/quote]

that golf school looks amazing and may be exactly what I need! If only I could afford the price, holy cow expensive

I have been to the Iberostar Playa Pariso Resort twice. Resort is great and the course is tough, I believe its the Monday qualifier for the Myakoba. Range is good and the practice green run like the course. I have not taken a lesson from the pro, but talking with him on many occasions he's a nice guy and knows his stuff. Maybe this helps

Just got back from That part of Mexico today. Didn't get the chance to play but every taxi or shuttle driver said that Mayakoba was tops.

I am somewhat of a travel-phobe but I never felt in danger at all. Playa is very safe, just be smart about the attention you draw to yourself...as is the case anywhere you go. The course in Tulum is NOT close at all to you. There are about 5 top options within about 70 miles of the airport but if you are staying in Playa I would play the courses close by

So this is a stupid question maybe but I couldnt find a definitive answer on their website. Are the Fairmont and/or Rosewood hotels at Mayakoba very close to the golf course or would you still need to drive to the course from the hotel? I may be staying there in September and would much prefer not to need a car for the week.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

The Fairmont and the Rosewood are on the same property as the golf course. Whether you're staying at Fairmont or Rosewood (or Banyan Tree), just go to the front desk and they will have one of the bellboys drive you to the golf facility. The course is within walking distance of the Fairmont lobby, but if you're carrying your sticks then you'll want a ride. There is transportation all over the place, so a car definitely won't be necessary.

What a beautiful resort. Have a great time!

TaylorMade M2 9° Fujikuri Pro Stiff
Ping I3 2-PW Blue
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 52°
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 56°
Ping Karsten Ally i Putter

Played many times in Playa....

Playacar is tight! Not the best course if you haven't swung a club in 4 months. Generally its a decent course, for $60 bucks you can't go wrong.

Mayacoba is beautiful, but the price tag is steep. For $150 I'd consider it, anything over $200 might be a little much.

Iberostar Course....Love this track, always in great shape and is a fair test of golf.

Friend of mine is the Director of Golf at Coral , always in great shape and service is awesome.
http://www.grandcoralrivieramaya.com/golf/

Also depends where you are staying....a taxi ride to Moon Palace could be 10 minutes or over an hour.

Driver - M2/KuroKage xstiff
3 wood - TS2 16.5/KuroKage xstiff
Hybrids - Titleist 918 3/4
Irons - Mizuno 223, Modus 105 Stiff
Wedges - Vokey SM8 - 51, 56, 60
Whitlam/Gauge Design - Coldstar Devon ETBW
Bag - Sun Mountain C-130

Club - WoodenSticks Golf Club

[quote name='np78' timestamp='1394985764' post='8882727']
how far is the royal resort to the iberostar resort
[/quote]
By cab, about 1/2 hour depending on the time of day and how many wrecks on the road.

MCC Align Midsize

[quote name='Socrates' timestamp='1394988845' post='8883091']
[/quote]
By cab, about 1/2 hour depending on the time of day and how many wrecks on the road.
[/quote]

what would be the closest decent course to the royal ??

[quote name='np78' timestamp='1394989729' post='8883181']
[quote name='Socrates' timestamp='1394988845' post='8883091']
[/quote]
[/quote]

what would be the closest decent course to the royal ??
[/quote]
Playacar course right in Playacar. literally 3-4 minutes by cab. Next closest course is Mayakoba about 15-20 minutes.

MCC Align Midsize

[quote name='np78' timestamp='1394991612' post='8883381']
[quote name='dirtyboy' timestamp='1394991558' post='8883371']
Google earth maps?
[/quote]

how about I ask people who have actually been there? Traffic, road conditions, safety???

Thanks for the input smartassss!
[/quote]

Bit touchy are we? Sorry but I love google maps.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I got back last week.

Played ALOT of golf. Moon Palace Courses Both (VERY difficult, very unforgiving. The balls just rolled off the fairways into the jungle even on seemingly good shots. Saw a few alligators which was cool.

Iberostar Course - was recommended by some locals. Nice course. Nothing special. Pretty fair. Smaller greens compared to the others I played.

Playacar - TIGHT. TIGHT! Tough little course! Nicely manicured as well.

Mayakoba - Awesome course. Bombers course for sure. Very open. Nice landing areas. Fair / easy par 3s. I can see the pros lighting this up in November. The greens were somewhat slow though. The course was in excellent condition otherwise and loved it.
The front was somewhat "cheap" Holes were next to each other and we saw many other groups. The back was better. Very isoltaed holes.

2 par 3s on the ocean as welll made for great views.

Overall a great trip BUT really not worth it. I've played better courses in Michigan and New York. Much better.

Hi shankman:

I just read your thread now and I was getting ready to give you info on local courses when I read that you’re already back! I live in Cancun and I surely would’ve enjoyed sharing a round with a fellow golfwrx’er.

I don’t know if you played the Iberostar Cancun or the Iberostar Playa Paraiso, but they’re very different (Cancun is a friendly “tourist” course and Playa Paraiso is a much more beautiful (in my opinion) facility and a more challenging course being –as it has been said above- where the Monday Qualifier for the PGA tournament takes place.

I agree with your description of Playacar: Tight, tight, tight indeed! I think Robert Von Hagge was angry when he designed it. Is one of the two toughest curses in the area and a nice design.

Anyway, I’m glad you enjoyed your trip. By the way: How would you compare those courses in Michigan and New York (as they were last week) with the ones you played (last week)? ;) I’m sorry, but I had to step up for my area’s courses! :D By the way: tomorrow I’m playing Playa Mujeres, another nice course in the area (this one is a Greg Norman design, just like Mayakoba, but prices are a little bit more affordable.

Take care gentlemen and have a good weekend

[quote name='shankman92' timestamp='1396656308' post='9023019']
Well I got back last week.

Played ALOT of golf. Moon Palace Courses Both (VERY difficult, very unforgiving. The balls just rolled off the fairways into the jungle even on seemingly good shots. Saw a few alligators which was cool.

Iberostar Course - was recommended by some locals. Nice course. Nothing special. Pretty fair. Smaller greens compared to the others I played.

Playacar - TIGHT. TIGHT! Tough little course! Nicely manicured as well.

Mayakoba - Awesome course. Bombers course for sure. Very open. Nice landing areas. Fair / easy par 3s. I can see the pros lighting this up in November. The greens were somewhat slow though. The course was in excellent condition otherwise and loved it.
The front was somewhat "cheap" Holes were next to each other and we saw many other groups. The back was better. Very isoltaed holes.

2 par 3s on the ocean as welll made for great views.

Overall a great trip BUT really not worth it. I've played better courses in Michigan and New York. Much better.
[/quote]

Crocodiles. The US is one of the few places that has alligators, rest of the world has crocs.

[quote name='Cancun' timestamp='1396658722' post='9023295']
I agree with your description of Playacar: Tight, tight, tight indeed! I think Robert Von Hagge was angry when he designed it. Is one of the two toughest [b]curses[/b] in the area and a nice design.
[/quote]
I think you might have it right without the correction. :) The heavy trade winds blowing across many holes. Makes those fairways really narrow up. I find #7 a killer - dead into the wind and uphill. Driver - long hybrid to a green as narrow as an Adidas shoe. That and #2 requires 2 really good shots just to get to a dicey 140 yard 3rd shot into the green.

MCC Align Midsize

[quote name='Smooth spin scott' timestamp='1394656130' post='8857645']
Played many times in Playa....

Playacar is tight! Not the best course if you haven't swung a club in 4 months. Generally its a decent course, for $60 bucks you can't go wrong.

Mayacoba is beautiful, but the price tag is steep. For $150 I'd consider it, anything over $200 might be a little much.

Iberostar Course....Love this track, always in great shape and is a fair test of golf.

Friend of mine is the Director of Golf at Coral , always in great shape and service is awesome.
[url="http://www.grandcoralrivieramaya.com/golf/"]http://www.grandcora...amaya.com/golf/[/url]

Also depends where you are staying....a taxi ride to Moon Palace could be 10 minutes or over an hour.
[/quote]

Agree with statement about Iberostar, range isn't anything special but it's a fun course. Pretty cool to play the same track that was on Big Break. Heard Mayacoba was fantastic.