SchneeWRX- A Tradition Unlike Any Other

Schnee

> @ddetts said:

> @Schnee swing is definitely looking smooth and effortless. What feels or drills are you using to work on the wrist angle changes for more lead flexion/ trail extension?

I hit lots of shots on the range with 7 iron, and only hit them 100-120 yards. I hit every club I practice with short of full distance to feel the changes. I start with wedges and try to hit them as low and flat as I possibly can, feeling like my right wrist bends as much as physically possible in transition and like I bow the heck out of my left wrist, like the clubface is facing the ground and is massively closed. From there, I keep my left shoulder down, and my body wants to naturally rotate through the shot.

I move on to longer clubs, still not hitting them full distance, and work on flighting the ball down. After 5-6 shots at partial speed and distance, I'll add some sauce for a swing or two. Then it's back to partial shots.

This has a lot of benefits that transfer directly to the course; in-between yardages, hitting to back pins, flighting it into the wind. I'm not a big drills guy per se. I just like to keep it simple and transferrable to the course. Partial shots are the best drill for me. Gets me synced up.

• Like 1

> @Schnee said:

> > @ddetts said:

> > @Schnee swing is definitely looking smooth and effortless. What feels or drills are you using to work on the wrist angle changes for more lead flexion/ trail extension?

>

> I hit lots of shots on the range with 7 iron, and only hit them 100-120 yards. I hit every club I practice with short of full distance to feel the changes. I start with wedges and try to hit them as low and flat as I possibly can, feeling like my right wrist bends as much as physically possible in transition and like I bow the heck out of my left wrist, like the clubface is facing the ground and is massively closed. From there, I keep my left shoulder down, and my body wants to naturally rotate through the shot.

> I move on to longer clubs, still not hitting them full distance, and work on flighting the ball down. After 5-6 shots at partial speed and distance, I'll add some sauce for a swing or two. Then it's back to partial shots.

>

> This has a lot of benefits that transfer directly to the course; in-between yardages, hitting to back pins, flighting it into the wind. I'm not a big drills guy per se. I just like to keep it simple and transferrable to the course. Partial shots are the best drill for me. Gets me synced up.

Ditto on that one.

When things aren't going well, syncing things up by doing that can leave you "Naked and Afraid" on the range - just can't hide stuff from yourself (and sometimes can't hide the expletives from onlookers).

In a "pre-clinic I'm sure Monte will tell me I haven't changed a thing" funk this week - 30 minutes on the range with my 7 iron was brutal last night for about 20 minutes but it got better and back on what I think is the right track for a bit. Frankly, I probably need to put the clubs away until Saturday to avoid the cramming for an exam kind of anxiety, lol. Still, with a couple of those sessions, the overswinging nonsense has subsided and some scoring sensibilities have returned. I feel ready to absorb and implement.

• Like 1

> @Schnee said:

> > @birdiebarrage said:

> > Chris, looks like you have minimal movement off the ball during your backswing. Always been the case or new?

>

> When I first picked up the game I had a pretty big lateral move off the ball in the backswing. Have worked to keep it in check. Now it's natural and I don't think about it. I'd probably identify as a center anchor or center post golfer (EA Tischler, Mike Adams, etc). If I move too much laterally in the backswing, I move too laterally trying to get back in the downswing.

Cool. I don't think I've seen Monte address this much (or its just not coming to mind) so was curious if that was a specific teaching point or no.

Wow! We just crossed the 600k threshold for views on this thread. Pretty incredible!

I guess now is a good time to let you guys know that a week from Sunday, I'll be heading to South Bend, Indiana to caddie for Monte in the US Senior Open. It's going to be an absolutely awesome time. I can't wait to be inside the ropes for an event this big, with so many golf legends in the field. Most of all, I'm excited to carry Monte's bag and see him compete up close. I'll keep you guys updated with pics and videos as I can. In the meantime, I've been loading my bag heavier and heavier and carrying for every round I play. I'm sure with all the Skittles and Gatorade Monte's going to have in his bag it'll be quite a load. I wouldn't doubt if he put some rocks in it too.

![](https://res.cloudinary.com/usga/image/upload/c_fit,dpr_1.0,f_auto,fl_lossy,h_190,q_auto,w_190/v1/usga/images/championships/2019logos/19SrOpen_CircleLogosforWeb_270.png "")

• Like 2

Should be a cool experience. Rooting for Monte and looking forward to see updates from the week.

I hope you’re practicing wind calcs, air-density analysis, friction coefficient equations and don’t forget the ever important quadratic equation. These are a necessity to be a good looper.

• Like 1

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

You better start memorizing every one-liner from Romeo in Tin Cup

• Like 1

Taylormade 2016 M1 10.5*___Aldila Rogue Silver 70
Taylormade 2017 M2 3HL___ Project X HZRDUS Black
Titleist 913H 21* ___Diamana Blue Board
Mizuno MP-25 4-PW ___KBS C-Taper
Cleveland 588 RTX 52* 56* 60*
Scotty Cameron SS Newport 2 Mid-Slant

> @birdiebarrage said:

> > @Schnee said:

> > > @birdiebarrage said:

> > > Chris, looks like you have minimal movement off the ball during your backswing. Always been the case or new?

> >

> > When I first picked up the game I had a pretty big lateral move off the ball in the backswing. Have worked to keep it in check. Now it's natural and I don't think about it. I'd probably identify as a center anchor or center post golfer (EA Tischler, Mike Adams, etc). If I move too much laterally in the backswing, I move too laterally trying to get back in the downswing.

>

> Cool. I don't think I've seen Monte address this much (or its just not coming to mind) so was curious if that was a specific teaching point or no.

It's an individual flaw he absolutely will address if you exhibit it (I fight it as well). The pivot he teaches doesnt work at all with a big move off the ball in the BS

> @ebrasmus21 said:

> Should be a cool experience. Rooting for Monte and looking forward to see updates from the week.

>

> I hope you’re practicing wind calcs, air-density analysis, friction coefficient equations and don’t forget the ever important quadratic equation. These are a necessity to be a good looper.

Absolutely. I expect to see a yardage book thicker than an old school yellow pages.

> @Krt22 said:

> > @ebrasmus21 said:

> > Should be a cool experience. Rooting for Monte and looking forward to see updates from the week.

> >

> > I hope you’re practicing wind calcs, air-density analysis, friction coefficient equations and don’t forget the ever important quadratic equation. These are a necessity to be a good looper.

>

> Absolutely. I expect to see a yardage book thicker than an old school yellow pages.

I’d like to see a thick yardage book and four or five different highlighters being used for various things.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

> @AndrewKaleta said:

> You better start memorizing every one-liner from Romeo in Tin Cup

Don't let him try to par in with a 7-iron.

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 6S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

> @Schnee said:

>

> Wow! We just crossed the 600k threshold for views on this thread. Pretty incredible!

>

> I guess now is a good time to let you guys know that a week from Sunday, I'll be heading to South Bend, Indiana to caddie for Monte in the US Senior Open. It's going to be an absolutely awesome time. I can't wait to be inside the ropes for an event this big, with so many golf legends in the field. Most of all, I'm excited to carry Monte's bag and see him compete up close. I'll keep you guys updated with pics and videos as I can. In the meantime, I've been loading my bag heavier and heavier and carrying for every round I play. I'm sure with all the Skittles and Gatorade Monte's going to have in his bag it'll be quite a load. I wouldn't doubt if he put some rocks in it too.

>

> ![](https://res.cloudinary.com/usga/image/upload/c_fit,dpr_1.0,f_auto,fl_lossy,h_190,q_auto,w_190/v1/usga/images/championships/2019logos/19SrOpen_CircleLogosforWeb_270.png "")

BTW, my wife was a senior at Saint Mary's College when we were dating - spent more than a few romantic evenings dining at Rocco's when I got out there - great Italian and pizza. Now, we haven't been there in forever, but I'll bet it's still great and the atmosphere is pretty cool. Kind of between campus and downtown.

> @Schnee said:

> > @MackDaddy480 said:

> > Schnee - can we get a full WITB for Monte?

>

> It’s in the Monte Qualifies for Senior Open thread.

>

>

WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/comment/18991942#Comment_18991942

Woods: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*, Ventus Blue 6S / TM Stealth Plus+, 15*, MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: PXG 0317 X Proto 3H & 4H, Ventus Blue 7S

Irons: Takomo IRON 101, 5-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges: Cleveland CBX ZipCore  48* Accra T90i S, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: Evnroll ER 1.2, Tour KBS GPS, 33",
 SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0
Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: Callaway Fairway 14 Stand Bag / Clicgear 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2 / V2 Swivel Kit
Accessories: Arccos 360 / Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized

• 2 weeks later...

**_US Senior Open Recap_**

I've been meaning to post this sooner but things got insane upon returning home. I had such a good time out in Indiana caddying for Monte and learned a ton while I was out there. As a golfer, I learned a lot from watching players on the range and in practice rounds, being up close for the tournament rounds, and experiencing the pressure of tournament golf without having to hit a shot, so a degree removed.

As a fan of golf, it was absolutely incredible to be around so many legends of golf and to be so close to the action. I watched Vijay, Bernhard Langer, Steve Stricker (who ultimately won), Colin Montgomerie, Darren Clarke, and many others from an arms length away. All of those guys may not hit it as far as they used to, but they know how to manage their games, wedge it close, and contrary to popular belief, they can still putt.

Upon arriving at the course on Monday, we picked up our courtesy car, a brand new Lexus RX350. It had 6 miles on it. We had valet parking for all of the days, and were able to get right to player services/locker room/hospitality area in seconds. Registration was at the football stadium, and we were surprised with a tour of the locker room and were led onto the field to throw/catch some passes and learn about the stadium. Everyone there had a glow to them, they love Notre Dame.

I had a caddy credential which got me access to the caddy grill room, driving range, scoring, and most importantly, inside the ropes. In addition to that credential, I had a player guest pass, which got me access to the player hospitality area, where we had lunch each day. It was an amazing level of access, and just so cool. We'd have lunch, and huge name players would just sit down next to you for a meal (Tom Watson, Miguel Angel Jimenez, etc). It was hard not to be a total fanboy and whip my phone out to take pics at every turn, but what's the saying "Act like you've been there before."?

Aside from 4-5 holes of torrential rain, the weather was very favorable, hot and sunny 90-93*, but very humid. The volunteers at the event were absolutely amazing, just so happy to be there and so helpful. There was tons of water and powerade on every tee box, snacks for the players and caddies on 1 and 10, and spotters on every hole to follow tee shots. To be honest, I would've loved to take one of the coolers home they were so nice. We had all the usual accoutrements, a walking scorer, standard bearer, and shotlink on every hole (although it was wrong for most of our Thursday round).

I've caddied before, and caddied for Monte before, but this week gave me a new appreciation for the pro loopers out there. The course had some moderate elevation change, but was a pretty comfortable walk on its own. Add a full sized staff bag loaded with my rain gear, Monte's rain gear, clubs, gloves, balls, random junk, some rocks, and enough drinks to keep us both hydrated on sweltering days, and you've got yourself a heck of a workout. In 5 days, I carried the bag roughly 45 miles. Thankfully I ordered a strap from Vessel to make the bag into a double strap system (Tour Strap for those of you familiar with it). That arrived on Wednesday and really made the bag more comfortable to carry. Monte is an easy player to caddy for in that your main jobs are carry the bag, keep some tees handy, hold the yardage book, and don't get him penalized. Monte gets most of his own yardages, chooses most of his own clubs, and is very low maintenance. Surprising, I know. It was nice to know that Monte trusted my input because he actively sought it out on some shots, would listen to suggestions I made, and we would generally have a back and forth about the shot at hand.

There's so much to do when caddying and it's so much more than just carrying the bag. It's like having a need to have 4 hands, an insane ability to multitask, and not enough time to do everything you need to do. It's stressful and slightly chaotic, but so rewarding. These caddies out there really earn their 10%. Most of the experienced caddies are cool dudes and are friendly and approachable. These guys are competing for big checks every week, but there's a camaraderie and friendliness between them, even for a guy like me who is a nobody. There's exceptions like anything else, but the caddies look out for each other in addition to their own players. For instance, if you're raking a greenside bunker, one of the other caddies will go and tend the flag for your player etc. Everyone wishes each other luck for the week ahead, and they genuinely mean it.

Monte did a great job of taking one shot at a time and hit some amazing shots with large crowds watching. That type of thing doesn't make him nervous, in fact he does better with a large audience. I noticed, and one of our friends following along noticed some setup issues that were making things difficult to put a good swing on the ball. We tried to address it during the round on Thursday, but as you guys know, making adjustments mid round can be very difficult. Friday Monte had his setup dialed and hit it much more solid. He had a tough start both days, but the middle of his rounds were on point, and Friday even finished on a high note. After reaching the green in regulation on 18, he had about a 25 footer for birdie. The greens had very subtle breaks to them, and after feeling it out with my feet and taking a look, it was a clear double breaker, 0 net break. I told Monte to hit it as a straight putt and give it some pace. Bang, dead center of the cup, birdie. What a way to finish. After striking a Heisman pose and tipping his imaginary cap to the gallery, we made our way through scoring and then back to the hotel to pack up.

The week ended sooner than we both had hoped, but it was an amazing experience. I'm glad that I could be along for the ride. This week motivated Monte to keep getting better and to play better in his future events. It was really close and he learned a lot from this week. It's going to be a net positive in the long run.

If anyone has any questions about the week, caddying, Monte's game, etc I'd be glad to try and answer them.

• Like 1

Glad to see you all had such a good experience, albeit shorter than hoped. If there was one (or two) things you and Monte would do better (or differently) as a player/caddie team in the 2020 US Senior Open, what would it be?

TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade M5 15* - Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2TS X
Callaway 815 Alpha Hybrid 21* - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90TX
Miura Baby Blade 4-P - KBS $-Taper X
Miura Wedges - 52*, 56* - KBS $-Taper X
Callaway MD4 Tactical 60*
PXG Darkness Operator

> @PepsiDuck said:

> Glad to see you all had such a good experience, albeit shorter than hoped. If there was one (or two) things you and Monte would do better (or differently) as a player/caddie team in the 2020 US Senior Open, what would it be?

Good question. I think I would be a bit more vocal about a couple reads earlier on in the tournament. There were some funky ones out there that broke the opposite way from how they appeared. But, better to make a confident stroke on a slightly off line than a wavering stroke on a perfect line.

Second, And this one will hopefully take care of itself, but more tournament reps coming into the event. That’ll lead to less amped-up swings and more of a feeling that it’s “just another tournament”

• Schnee changed the title to SchneeWRX- A Tradition Unlike Any Other