SchneeWRX- A Tradition Unlike Any Other

Schnee

• Schnee changed the title to SchneeWRX: Working with Chase Cooper and Hal Sutton Nov 2020
2 hours ago, games said:

@Schnee Would it be accurate to say you are going to spend more time on pre-shot routine and less time over the ball?  This is a change I'd like to make.

Yes, but more so that I’m not going to steer the ball so much and make my swing so deliberate. There needs to be more flow to it. 

On 11/23/2020 at 4:56 AM, Schnee said:

Yes. Staying in left tilt longer/eliminating excess right tilt is what did it for me. 

Mind expanding on the subtle light bulb moment you had on the subject and what you are thinking/feeling to keep left shoulder down? I have been battling the same issue for years, much was from my back swing. BS is getting better and better, but Im still struggling with the transition since I imagine my subconscious "thinks" its such a steep position that I almost immediately tilt away. I can hit little cuts when I am practicing, but once I am on the course I am much more prone to default to the old move and then miss left

31 minutes ago, Schnee said:

I’m still adjusting to the move myself, but the way Chase explained it to me made sense. It’s not that the left shoulder just goes down. It’s that the left shoulder moves down and around, continuing to open through impact. 

In the past, I tried to get my left shoulder down by moving my whole upper body down, but cut off rotation in the process and then had to back out of it. 

I feel like my head stays centered, and the left shoulder comes down, around, and then behind me. For instance, the drill where you cross your arms across your chest and turn back then through replicates it. From a DTL view, the left shoulder moves continuously. It goes down, then around, to the left, and gets covered up by your torso. Your left shoulder has to separate from your chin/head in order to do it. 

Gotcha, I think I might be having a similar problem, but I think I need to clean up my hip action as well. Sort of chicken and egg, if hips dont regain flex there isn't room for the arms to come down and allow for the rotation, conversely if you tilt right away, hips need to trust and rotation stalls. It's driving me mad lol

Great work Chris!

My back hurts just looking at the before swing you posted. 

After swing is looking solid! For sure the least "manufactured" swing ive ever seen from you.

Having what feels like a steep shoulder turn in the downswing is such a hard concept to reconcile with also getting a shallow shaft.

Nice job making it look easy!

Golfing Ginger
So glad I picked an outside activity...

11 hours ago, Schnee said:

I’m still adjusting to the move myself, but the way Chase explained it to me made sense. It’s not that the left shoulder just goes down. It’s that the left shoulder moves down and around, continuing to open through impact. 

In the past, I tried to get my left shoulder down by moving my whole upper body down, but cut off rotation in the process and then had to back out of it. 

I feel like my head stays centered, and the left shoulder comes down, around, and then behind me. For instance, the drill where you cross your arms across your chest and turn back then through replicates it. From a DTL view, the left shoulder moves continuously. It goes down, then around, to the left, and gets covered up by your torso. Your left shoulder has to separate from your chin/head in order to do it. 

I've been struggling with this move and this description is brilliant. Thanks Chris! Best description I've ever heard for this problem. Appreciate you continuing to share your journey with us.

8 hours ago, Hstead said:

Nice write up.  I was the same, didn't understand how to get the left shoulder down, or not right tilt too early.  It is subtle, and is quick.  I couldn't have done it on my own.  I had video lessons, but couldn't do it until Chase held my shoulder in place and showed me exactly what it did and what it felt like.

He dispelled so many myths for me.  My main issue wasn't as much of a swing flaw as it was a mental flaw.  I believed this BS that you needed to "shallow" the shaft and lay it down as far as you could get it.  That stupid crap made me drop my right shoulder trying to lay the shaft down.

I now understand that you do not need to lay it down so flat.  The Athletic Motion guys have discussed it at length and after Chase explained it now I get it.  Dan tried to tell me in his way but it never sunk in past the idiotic thought that I had about laying the shaft down.  

Not trying to lay the shaft down helped fix my left shoulder.  The shaft shallows all it needs to on its own now without forcing it to "lay down".  The shaft bisecting the bicep is all I need to hit good shots.

I have never played better since my lesson with Chase.  I shot 67 two days ago and 73 today without making a single putt.  Never had better command of my swing or ball after Chase fixed my head and swing.

Great addition to this thread. Chris mentioned that his stock shot is a fade. Is this your stock shot as well?  Do you think that the left shoulder down and less right tilt is easier to implement when hitting fades? Personally, I think that I often right tilt too much because of the desire to hit a draw. Can the feeling of left shoulder down also be described as a feeling of a slight over the top with the shoulders?

2 hours ago, Golfbeat said:

Great addition to this thread. Chris mentioned that his stock shot is a fade. Is this your stock shot as well?  Do you think that the left shoulder down and less right tilt is easier to implement when hitting fades? Personally, I think that I often right tilt too much because of the desire to hit a draw. Can the feeling of left shoulder down also be described as a feeling of a slight over the top with the shoulders?

I’ll let Heath give his thoughts too, but for guys built like us, it’s easier to hit fades and keep our hands out in front and not overtilt to try and shift the path right to hit a draw. 

As far as the over the top feeling with the shoulders, both Dan Carraher and Chase had good descriptions for me:

Dan: the pivot is the boat and the arms are the waterskiier. The pivot turns the corner and the arms are flung out to the ball. 

Chase: the pivot and shoulders make a slicing motion and the arms and hands make a hooking motion. 

long story short, the two moves balance each other out. I just have too many shallowing components in my swing currently. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Schnee said:

I’ll let Heath give his thoughts too, but for guys built like us, it’s easier to hit fades and keep our hands out in front and not overtilt to try and shift the path right to hit a draw. 

As far as the over the top feeling with the shoulders, both Dan Carraher and Chase had good descriptions for me:

Dan: the pivot is the boat and the arms are the waterskiier. The pivot turns the corner and the arms are flung out to the ball. 

Chase: the pivot and shoulders make a slicing motion and the arms and hands make a hooking motion. 

long story short, the two moves balance each other out. I just have too many shallowing components in my swing currently. 

Good explanation! Tyler Ferrell explains the blending of the steeps/shallows, as does Monte in his efficient swing series, but yes, it is very very very hard to implement for a long time tilter. Even when I do a freezer, Ill get into a good position at the top, nice centered pivot, and then when the "hit" comes tilt immediately. I think I need to commit to the fade feeling on the course. I can do it in practice and hit dead straight lasers or tiny fades, but mentally its tough to feel like I'm going to hit a wicked slice when I am actually on the course

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am back on the site for the first time in quite awhile - sort of disengaged and never really came back during the multiple site migrations. Wanted to just say congrats and that's awesome that you hit an all-time low. I too have been on this site for quite some time now (since 2008 my profile tells me, that seems forever ago) and have followed a lot of this path you've been on. It's pretty cool to see someone progress so far! Cheers 🍻!

• Like 2

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

• 1 month later...

The latest episode, #5, is absolutely awesome.  Hal talks about all of this Ryder Cup experiences and when he was Captain etc.  There have only been 24 Captains, so it is pretty cool to get the inside story of what happens behind the scenes.  Love the podcast.

• Like 4

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

On 2/12/2021 at 5:28 PM, Hstead said:

The latest episode, #5, is absolutely awesome.  Hal talks about all of this Ryder Cup experiences and when he was Captain etc.  There have only been 24 Captains, so it is pretty cool to get the inside story of what happens behind the scenes.  Love the podcast.

I was on the road and listened to 5 of the 6 Podcasts and they were all very informative.  Hal is a great story teller and comes across as a straight shooter.  I loved hearing how about the pairing of Phil and Tiger IMO Hal took a ton of heat when  Phil was being selfish.  The best line was Hal telling Phil you can’t find the golf course so I made it easy your paired with best player in the world.

Chase seems like a great guy and very knowledgeable about how to use technology to confirm what he sees.  The best advice he gave was to film  swings when your hitting it well something very few amateurs actually do.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • Schnee changed the title to SchneeWRX- A Tradition Unlike Any Other