2014 Arnold Palmer Invitational....March 17th - 23rd

kemau

[quote name='golfpros1' timestamp='1395694282' post='8941333']
If AS choked, then we clearly know what part of his game he chokes with... [b]his putting[/b]. He has no issues tee to green under the gun. He needs to get rid of that long putter because I don't see how it's helping him at this point.
[/quote]
YES! His ball striking was off most of the day, but he's premier at virtually everything...except putting. Hence, the use of the broomstick putter.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='TheCityGame' timestamp='1395685635' post='8940211']
[quote name='chuck12' timestamp='1395684131' post='8940011']
A lot of parsing going on about the term "choke"...

It's a fact that Adam Scott choked.

At the same time, that doesn't make him a mediocre player or something. He's still # 2. And of course it happens. Rory chocked at the Masters in '12 and on his day, there is no one better.
[/quote]I like how people have made "facts" out of something they can't even properly define.

Adam Scott started Sunday with a lead he did not have at the end of the day. Fact.

Adam Scott made 3 bogeys on the last 9 holes. Fact.

Adam Scott shot well above his scoring average on Sunday. Fact.

The reason that all happened is because the magnitude of the moment affected his golfing ability. Opinion.
[/quote]

That last one is also a fact. As is the statement that Adam Scott will be # 1 sooner than later

WITB:
SDLR White 10* Speeder 6.2x TS
Epic 14* AD TP7, Rogue 17* PX Evenflow Black
R15 3H Rogue Black 85
MP-18 MMC 4 - PW Modus 120x
50* T7, 58* PM-Grind
Ghost Spider Si Slant

[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1395694481' post='8941355']
If AS choked, then we clearly know what part of his game he chokes with... [b]his putting[/b]. He has no issues tee to green under the gun. He needs to get rid of that long putter because I don't see how it's helping him at this point.
[/quote]
YES! His ball striking was off most of the day, but he's premier at virtually everything...except putting. Hence, the use of the broomstick putter.
[/quote]

Big fan of AS; but the long putter needs to go, its the crutch of the weak

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

If AS choked, then we clearly know what part of his game he chokes with... his putting. He has no issues tee to green under the gun. He needs to get rid of that long putter because I don't see how it's helping him at this point.
[/quote]
agreed, he's shown he can hit the shots needed but hasn't shown he can make the putts when the pressure is on. After the Masters I thought he finally figured it out but obviously he hasn't. More times he keeps losing leads like this or British Open the worse it will be once he gets into that position again.

If AS choked, then we clearly know what part of his game he chokes with... his putting. He has no issues tee to green under the gun. He needs to get rid of that long putter because I don't see how it's helping him at this point.
[/quote]

You can't be serious? Before Adam switched to the Broomstick, he was fledgling around the mid 50's and 60's in the OWGR and usually only contended a couple times a year. Since he made the switch, he's been an entirely different player and his confidence came roaring back.

It's not even debatable the broomstick putter saved his career. Read it straight from Adam.

[url="http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/2011-07/adam-scott-on-long-putters"]http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/2011-07/adam-scott-on-long-putters[/url]

[quote name='Barto78' timestamp='1395695125' post='8941453']
[/quote]

You can't be serious? Before Adam switched to the Broomstick, he was fledgling around the mid 50's and 60's in the OWGR and usually only contended a couple times a year. Since he made the switch, he's been an entirely different player and his confidence came roaring back.

It's not even debatable the broomstick putter saved his career. Read it straight from Adam.

[url="http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/2011-07/adam-scott-on-long-putters"]http://www.golfdiges...on-long-putters[/url]
[/quote]

If what I watched Sunday is a career saver, I'd hate to see what the alternative would be. Would he 3 jack every green?

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

[/quote]

[url="http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/2011-07/adam-scott-on-long-putters"]http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/2011-07/adam-scott-on-long-putters[/url]
[/quote]

It's quite possible that the long putter has helped out, certainly if he's suggested as much. But, if my skills in navigating the owgr website via my cell phone are accurate, he's only been outside the top twenty five once since 2003(year end rankings had him at 34) and has maintained a residence in the top ten rankings eight times, including 2014...

[quote name='golfpros1' timestamp='1395695362' post='8941477']
[/quote]

[url="http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/2011-07/adam-scott-on-long-putters"]http://www.golfdiges...on-long-putters[/url]
[/quote]

If what I watched Sunday is a career saver, I'd hate to see what the alternative would be. Would he 3 jack every green?
[/quote]

1 or 2 bad putting rounds doesn't mean he now has the yips with the broomstick putter. Fact is he was a fine player who couldn't contend on a regular basis in the majors, much less regular tour events with any regularity. Once he made the switch his confidence with the putter came back and he surged back up the world rankings.

[quote name='hogans71' timestamp='1395696111' post='8941563']
[/quote]

[/quote]

It's quite possible that the long putter has helped out, certainly if he's suggested as much. But, if my skills in navigating the owgr website via my cell phone are accurate, he's only been outside the top twenty five once since 2003(year end rankings had him at 34) and has maintained a residence in the top ten rankings eight times, including 2014...
[/quote]

For the most part, you are correct. However, after 2008, his OWGR dropped to 76nd in October 2009 and he hovered in the 20's and 30's before he made the switch to the Broomstick Putter in 2011. Clearly Adam has immense talent which is why he still was able to maintain such a high OWGR with such poor putting stats. The truth is we'll never know for certain if his confidence would have come back had he not changed putters. However, i think it's safe to say he wouldn't be the same player today otherwise. Adam has admitted as much.

[quote name='Barto78' timestamp='1395696793' post='8941635']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

For the most part, you are correct. However, after 2008, his OWGR dropped to 76nd in October 2009 and he hovered in the 20's and 30's before he made the switch to the Broomstick Putter in 2011. Clearly Adam has immense talent which is why he still was able to maintain such a high OWGR with such poor putting stats. The truth is we'll never know for certain if his confidence would have come back had he not changed putters. However, i think it's safe to say he wouldn't be the same player today otherwise. Adam has admitted as much.
[/quote]

Dropping to 76th for a minute is a far cry from "fledgling around in the 50's and 60's"...
As far as what type of player he will be using a more traditional putter? Suppose we'll all find out soon enough. But I think it's not a stretch to suggest that his putting his his weak spot and switching switching to the broomstick has not improved his stats much, if at all..

[quote name='hogans71' timestamp='1395697166' post='8941689']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Dropping to 76th for a minute is a far cry from "fledgling around in the 50's and 60's"...
As far as what type of player he will be using a more traditional putter? Suppose we'll all find out soon enough. But I think it's not a stretch to suggest that his putting his his weak spot and switching switching to the broomstick has not improved his stats much, if at all..
[/quote]

Again, you make a valid point. We will find out soon enough. However, Adam did spend nearly an entire year ranked in the mid 40's and higher. That period spanned from June 2009, through October 2010. Once he made the switch he re-established himself as a top 10 player. I think the stats pretty much bear that out.

Why doesn't he just go out to CA, go through an entire scotty cameron fitting for a day, do some high speed camera analysis of the stroke, and work it all out. Clearly the guy has the ability to putt well, so something is a little off. Getting putting tips from Harmon is not the way to go. He needs to seek some Stockton type to finally fix the issue for good, and when he does, watch out.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

[quote name='chuck12' timestamp='1395694640' post='8941375']
[quote name='TheCityGame' timestamp='1395685635' post='8940211']
[quote name='chuck12' timestamp='1395684131' post='8940011']
A lot of parsing going on about the term "choke"...

It's a fact that Adam Scott choked.

At the same time, that doesn't make him a mediocre player or something. He's still # 2. And of course it happens. Rory chocked at the Masters in '12 and on his day, there is no one better.
[/quote]I like how people have made "facts" out of something they can't even properly define.

Adam Scott started Sunday with a lead he did not have at the end of the day. Fact.

Adam Scott made 3 bogeys on the last 9 holes. Fact.

Adam Scott shot well above his scoring average on Sunday. Fact.

The reason that all happened is because the magnitude of the moment affected his golfing ability. Opinion.
[/quote]

[b]That last one is also a fact. As is the statement that Adam Scott will be # 1 sooner than later[/b]
[/quote]

no that is actually not statement of fact

[b][url="http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golftalkcentral/every-no-44-owgr-stenson-shot-no-1/"]Stenson shot at No. 1?[/url][/b]

Mar 24, 2014

"There now exists the possibility that Henrik Stenson, currently No. 3, could become No. 1 if he wins next week in Houston. Stenson needs to earn 53 points that week to ascend to the top spot. Last year, the Houston winner received 56 points."

9* Synchron Revolver
14* Dynacraft Avatar
2-PW Titleist 690MB
56* & 60* Nike SV
Bobby Grace DCT Sunset
Innovex V Motion Tour

[quote name='Barto78' timestamp='1395697474' post='8941719']
[quote name='hogans71' timestamp='1395697166' post='8941689']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Again, you make a valid point. We will find out soon enough. However, Adam did spend nearly an entire year ranked in the mid 40's and higher. That period spanned from June 2009, through October 2010. Once he made the switch he re-established himself as a top 10 player. I think the stats pretty much bear that out.
[/quote]

His year end ranking in 2009 was 34th so it seems he went back and forth.

Though I do understand what you are saying...

[quote name='golfpros1' timestamp='1395697738' post='8941755']
Why doesn't he just go out to CA, go through an entire scotty cameron fitting for a day, do some high speed camera analysis of the stroke, and work it all out. Clearly the guy has the ability to putt well, so something is a little off. Getting putting tips from Harmon is not the way to go. He needs to seek some Stockton type to finally fix the issue for good, and when he does, watch out.
[/quote]
He was working with Stockton for a little while in the past. I know he won the Valero Texas Open with him but not sure how many other wins he had and why he left. I think the switch to long putter just boosted his confidence. I remember everyone saying he had a "perfect" putting stroke with the short putter but was too technical and never really had a great feel for putting.

[quote name='Yepyukon' timestamp='1395685768' post='8940229']
I don't know if I would say that he choked yesterday. He played (and putted) like garbage, but that was all day. He did choke at the 2012 Open though where he was 4 up with 4 to play and blew it.

There were only 9 scores in the 60's (~12%) and only 27 rounds under par (~35.5%) for the entire round. I think the golf course won just as much as Scott loss. But great round and win by Every. Awesome to see another BBer doing well out there.
[/quote]

I still think Matt was coerced to be on BB probably some kind of golf probation. It looked like he couldn't wait to get off the show.

BTW I called the AS choke early Sunday morning.

Also predicted an 80 by Rory at the Masters.

[quote name='Barto78' timestamp='1395696498' post='8941603']
[quote name='golfpros1' timestamp='1395695362' post='8941477']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

1 or 2 bad putting rounds doesn't mean he now has the yips with the broomstick putter. Fact is he was a fine player who couldn't contend on a regular basis in the majors, much less regular tour events with any regularity. Once he made the switch his confidence with the putter came back and he surged back up the world rankings.
[/quote]

He won something like 13 times worldwide before he moved to the long putter including the Tour Championship and the Players Championship and was in the top 5 in the world, same as he is now. He wasn't able to contend in majors too often and wasn't as accomplished as a golfer but he wasn't far off where he is now.

He had two really bad putting years which sparked the change for him after coming on tour as a good putter (as I posted before, no.1 strokes gained through putting in 2004). But I mean he's not really putting [i]that[/i] much better with his long putter now and his long game is better than it was when he was younger.

2 bad years from 6 or 7 on tour does not mean that he never putted well with the short putter. I think it's a psychological thing for Adam.

[quote name='Dave230' timestamp='1395716601' post='8944389']
[quote name='Barto78' timestamp='1395696498' post='8941603']1 or 2 bad putting rounds doesn't mean he now has the yips with the broomstick putter. Fact is he was a fine player who couldn't contend on a regular basis in the majors, much less regular tour events with any regularity. Once he made the switch his confidence with the putter came back and he surged back up the world rankings.
[/quote]

He won something like 13 times worldwide before he moved to the long putter including the Tour Championship and the Players Championship and was in the top 5 in the world, same as he is now. He wasn't able to contend in majors too often and wasn't as accomplished as a golfer but he wasn't far off where he is now.

He had two really bad putting years which sparked the change for him after coming on tour as a good putter (as I posted before, no.1 strokes gained through putting in 2004). But I mean he's not really putting [i]that[/i] much better with his long putter now and his long game is better than it was when he was younger.

2 bad years from 6 or 7 on tour does not mean that he never putted well with the short putter. I think it's a psychological thing for Adam.
[/quote]
Yeah people have this vision that he was terrible before the broomstick, but in reality, he was always top 20 or higher mostly (top 10), except for about 9 months '09-'10

His best and worst putting years were with a standard putter. Right now he's just middle of the road. He won the Masters putting like doo doo. How often does that happen?

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip