RECAP: LIVE Q&A with COBRA GOLF

HipCheck

[size=4][quote name='Kylekoz17' timestamp='1395716794' post='8944407']
Is there a purpose for the two toned paint job on the bio cell plus? I like the look of it, just wondering if there was another reason for it.
[/quote] [color=#000000]It is a unique look which highlights the multi-material crown featured in the BiO CELL+ Driver. - Doug Roberts[/color][/size]

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='COBRA PUMA GOLF' timestamp='1395855477' post='8955817']
[color=#000000]We strive to make classicly shaped heads, and offer Attack Black and a very nice Tradewinds Silver. Crown graphics are used on many modern designs and we think our's are very tasteful. In doing market research with golfers, the majority prefer some design elements vs plain colors. Compare our decals to R1 and RBZ Stage 2 from last year. An obvious example of way too much, that seems to be a mistake from the market leader. We are continuing to create and set many style trends, with some other, larger companies now following suit and even copying elements of our previous designs like racing stripes and button backs :) - All[/color]
[/quote]

Some 2 way feedback, your silver/grey woods with the black faces look awesome. Very classic Cobra look.

Taylormade SIM Max  – 10.5°
Taylormade M4  – 16.5°
Titleist 818H1 - 22.5°
Titleist AP1 718 – 4-P
Titleist AP1 718 – 48°
Cleveland CBX – 54°
Taylormade EF – 60° 
Ping Vault 2.0 Craz-E H   

The bio cell + is on my short list this year. I have a thread in the equipment section. It is between this club and the covert right now.

Thank you for mentioning the whiteboard option! Would you be able to tell me the difference in launch and spin from the Red Tie to the Whiteboard 72? If I hit x in red tie should I just too the stiff whiteboard or go X?

[size=4][quote name='Deng808' timestamp='1395676461' post='8938713']
How big of a signing has Rickie Fowler been to the brand and how do you think he influences your brand as a whole?
[/quote]
[color=#000000]Rickie is a great representation of our brand. There is no doubt that he moves the needle in golf. He’s one of the biggest draws out there, and certainly brings a new, younger demographic to the game and to the CPG brand. He has a huge loyal fan base that wants to play golf like he does, wear what he wears and use the same technology that he is using. His insights into the brands apparel and equipment is invaluable. -Tom Olsavsky[/color][/size]

[size=4][quote name='Hairpie' timestamp='1395817000' post='8952981']
Your use of multi-materials in clubhead design is quite legendary. What are the advantages of the multi materials? More efficient weight distribution? Better dampening and acoustics? Is there a conscious effort in the aesthetics of the club to accentuate these design characteristics or are the aesthetics used more as an attraction for the younger golfers?
[/quote]
[color=#000000]Multi-material technology is used mainly to save weight and improve the mass properties by moving that weight to better zones. There is also an associated sound and feel difference with a multi-material driver. For example, our ZL driver sounds and feels a little different than our all-titanium heads. Some players prefer one, some prefer the other. We also try to visually show the multi-material technology. It gives us an extra element to work with when designing. - Doug Roberts[/color][/size]

[size=4][quote name='caddyshack1885' timestamp='1395622786' post='8934825']
Ricky Fowler and Jonas Blixt are both playing the Bio Cell, not the "player's" head, Bio Cell +. Are they using stock Bio Cell heads or have they been issued prototype heads with weighting and center of gravity closer to the Bio Cell+? Would Cobra have them play the Bio Cell head as a marketing effort to push the Bio Cell to the mass majority of average golfers? Thanks!
[/quote]
[color=#000000]When working with our staffers we focus on their needs and the performance they are looking for. We designed the BC+ with Jonas in mind, but when he tried the drivers he found that the BC+ did not spin enough for him. When he tried the BC driver he like the trajectory, directional control, feel and the spin was perfect for him. It was a blessing in disguise. [/color]

[color=#000000]Rickie has always preferred the sound of an all titanium head. The AMP and AMP CELL Pro head that he used as gamers were all titanium. We could pretty much predict that he would use the BiO CELL driver. [/color]

[color=#000000]We don't, and will not in the future, tell our staffers to use a certain model like some other companies do. For us, it starts with performance and ends in preference. We want our staffers to play their best, and that sometimes means changing from a product they loved and helped design to a different one. -Jose Miraflor[/color][/size]

Thank you again Cobra for this opportunity!!!! I for one am willing to do what I can to help grow the brand :yess: if you know what I mean. :golfer:

Driver: Cobra Radspeed Season Opener (9) - Ventus Blue Velo (6s)
Fwy:  Cobra F6 Baffler (16) - Hzrdus Red 75 (6.0)

D.I.: Taylormade T.P. UDI 2 (18) - Fujikura Pro 115x

Hybrid:  Cobra F7 3-4 (20.5) - Aldila Tour Blue 85s
Irons:  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark (6 - G) - True Temper Elevate Tour V2 (stiff)
Wedge:  Cleveland RTX Zipcore Tour Raw (54/12) - Nippon Modus 125w
Wedge:  Taylormade Hi-Toe (60/10) - KBS Hi Rev 2.0

Putters:  KREW Klassic Blade...Mannkrafted MA/55...Odyssey MXM Versa #9Ht (Custom)...Machine M10 
Bag:  Bennington LQO-9 Stand Bag

[size=4][quote name='WVP' timestamp='1395841327' post='8953963']
How many product releases do you generally have planned out? And how often does something happen that causes you to change the course completely?

On a similar note, Taylormade has obviously been pushing the heck out of low forward CG and higher loft - how does Cobra feel about that design philosophy?
[/quote] [color=#000000]We are always working ahead as most products take 15-18 months to conceive. Additionally we have engineers also working on advanced concepts as far out as 3-4 years. In the standard yearly launches we get early feedback from many sources: actual market research and testing with golfers, retailer pre-line showings, tour player input as well as all the latest color and fashion trends (inside and outside of golf). Usually you don't change completely, but will make adjustments along the way. It is all part of a typical process of launching a product (in any industry, not just golf!) - Tom Olsavsky[/color][/size]

[size=4][quote name='Chad Watson' timestamp='1395852204' post='8955323']
What goes in to your decisions to target certain golfers over others? Do you get golfers who want to come over to the Cobra/Puma Team?
[/quote] [color=#000000]We consider many things and ask a lot of questions:[/color]
[color=#000000]- what are golfers putting up with that we can fix? (our President's favorite question)
- where can we provide the most benefit with our technologies? (max distance WITH forgivness)
- who is buying golf clubs?
- what is their consumer experience?

Do we get golfers coming to the Cobra/PUMA Team?
YES. We make products for a wide variety of players that are long and easy to hit. We also have a great mix of designs and colors that appeal to golfers looking for game enjoyment along with great performance. - Mike Yagley and Tim Beno (Sr. Research Engineers)[/color][/size]

My natural swing with a driver causes a slight fade. I can also hit it straight and draw the ball if I want to just a little less accurate. I find my ball contact to be middle up. Where is the sweet spot on the bio cell drivers center of the face? Is there any counter balancing on the club that can off set the fade so that I can hit the ball straight naturally? What are the loft angles available to the bio cell +?

[quote name='milt' timestamp='1395853316' post='8955461']
[color=#2F2F2F]Dear Tom, Jose, Mike and Doug,[/color]

[color=#2F2F2F]If[size=4] you were all stranded on an island together and had to dig a big hole to protect yourself from wildlife, the elements, and other extreme [/size][/color][size=4][color=#2f2f2f]obstacles what Cobra club would you bring with you to help dig, and why that club?[/color]
[/quote] [color=#000000]We would bring two specific competitor wedges because they tend to dig really big holes, since they don't have the nice leading edge radius that our Tour Trusty Wedge has. - All[/color][/size]

[quote name='Fourpar18' timestamp='1395628321' post='8935615']
Cobra Golf,
What invested research are you currently working on that will put you on the map such as Taylormade and Callaway? It seems that those t[size=4]wo companies are always tweeking and tinkering with different things; it put there drivers ahead of all other companies each year. I love that Cobra Golf has invested in color and flash but that won't put clubs in the hands of traditionalist, which we comprise of 45-65% of the market.

I really through you were going to break that mold when you came out with last years line of irons AMP Cell Pro's! But when I saw the Bio Cell and Bio Cell+ irons I think you took two steps back, too much!

Thanks for your time and thank for doing this with GolfWRX! I look forward to hearing what you have to say and I hope to one day TRY the AMP CELL PRO's because they are the best looking irons I have seen in a long time.

Fourpar18
[/quote]
[color=#000000]We believe we are on the map, and as of February 2014, our market share is in 4th place for metals according to Golf Datatech (ahead of Titleist and Adams btw). We have been on a nice growth curve since Cobra was acquired by Puma in 2010 in fact, we are one of the only companies in golf that has grown over the last three years in market share. [/color]

[color=#000000]We have a great team working tirelessly on multiple concepts, but as a newer, smaller company we have to continue working hard to regain some of the market success that our brand has had in the past. We believe our product has great performance and we make every effort to go the extra mile in every aspect of our product design, development and creation, to make golf more enjoyable for all types of played.[/color]

[color=#000000]But, believe us when we say we are taking our research to the level this year. We are using innovative research that is ground breaking for the golf industry and will be a key part to our 2015 products! [/color]

[color=#000000]In the meantime we encourage everyone to compare our products to our competitors, and we strongly believe we will win more than our current share of those comparisons! [/color]
[color=#000000]-Tom Olsavsky[/color][/size]

[quote name='COBRA PUMA GOLF' timestamp='1395855275' post='8955783']
[quote name='deck' timestamp='1395429019' post='8919845']
Lots of talk of loft and face angles of adjustable drivers. Can you please explain your my fly to us and how exactly it works different from the others?
[size=4][/quote]
[color=#000000]The My Fly sleeve system works similar to other single axis sleeve systems in providing loft and lie adjustments.[/color]
[attachment=2141841:MyFLY8 translucent.jpg]
[color=#000000]The Smart Pad is the key to the system, providing a consistent point for the head to sit on the ground. The Smart Pad works in conjunction with the My Fly to provide consistent face angle regardless of My Fly setting. This provides the best way to optimize performance. Tom Olsavsky[/color][/size]
[/quote]

Thank you for your time!!

Ping G400 LST HZRDUS Black tipped .5 9'
Taylormade M1 (2016) 15 Fubuki Z S
Rocketballz 19' ATX Green S
X2Hot 22' ATX Green S
Callaway Apex Pro (2014) C-tapers S
Mackdaddy 2's 52 and 58 C-Tapers R
James Ingles Scratch Handmande

[quote name='COBRA PUMA GOLF' timestamp='1395856075' post='8955913']
[size=4]We appreciate you submitting questions! [color=#000000]Try BiO Cell + irons, you will be very surprised how good they feel and [b]they look great at address[/b]! - Tom Olsavsky[/color][/size]
[/quote]

what about how they look in the bag? i've got the s3 pros, and was disappointed to see the design of the bio cell and bio cell+ irons. can you or your team please explain the design choices that were made for these irons? why risk alienating a large majority of potential customers (such as myself) with such an unfortunate design?

thank you for taking the time to have this online chat and answer our questions regarding cobra products.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

[size=4][quote name='mproyiii' timestamp='1395853478' post='8955491']
absolutely love my cobra amp forged irons--perfect marriage of forgiveness and playability for mid handicappers not good enough/ confident to play your forged blades. Why did you guys stop producing them this year? And are there plans for another forged players iron outside the amp cells? THANKS
[/quote] [color=#000000]The AMP Forged Irons have been replace by the BC+ irons which both Lexi and Jesper are now using. Rickie is working on putting the 3 iron in play as well. They feature similar mass properties and playbility characteristics such as topline, sole radius, bounce, shape and size to the AMP Forged irons. In addition we have optimized tunsten weighting to increase forgiveness and manage trajectories. Give them a try and ENJOY. - Jose Miraflor[/color][/size]

[quote name='3 piece' timestamp='1395853489' post='8955497']
Do think one of your cu[size=4]rrent tour players needs to win a major before you feel that your equipment has been validated as a contender.
[/quote] [color=#000000]Obviously we want all of our staffers to win both for us and them. However we are very comfortable that our products are Tour proven and gamed by some of the best golfers on the world Tours. Just as important to us is your validation that our products perform for you as well. - Jose Miraflor[/color][/size]

Thanks for answering my question about the black color and for your humor. And I did look at your website before posting...it shows the soles of the drivers and you have to dig deep to see a pic of a black crown. Might have to buy one of these for dear old dad since he does not like the blue!

BTW -- That limited edition green one is beautiful.

[quote name='Firegolf26' timestamp='1395853522' post='8955505']
What kind of grinds are you guys working on for your wedges? Seems like the "alphabet" grinds are a hot thing. Anything to become ex[size=4]pected from Cobra/Puma golf? Would love to get my hands on the wedges.
[/quote] [color=#000000]Thanks for the interest in Cobra Wedges. We currently have the Tour Trusty wedge which features the combination of a "K" Grind with the iconic Notch Grind made popular by Phil Rogers. We are currently reviewing additional sole configurations for future addtions to the Tour Trusty line. What are the performance needs and wants from a wedge that you don't have now from your current gamer. - Jose Miraflor[/color][/size]

[quote name='wldchld22' timestamp='1395853688' post='8955523']
Any plans to retro sone of your past hits? Maybe as a venom vault launch?

[size=4]Robo and I would love a L4V retro and I miss my s9 pro D and S desperately!!!
[/quote] [color=#000000]Thanks for the Cobra Love! Venom Vault will be updated sometime this spring so stay tuned. - Tom Olsavsky[/color][/size]

[quote name='COBRA PUMA GOLF' timestamp='1395854402' post='8955653']
[quote name='Oaks' timestamp='1395428663' post='8919797']
Is there any truth to the rumor that we may see the King Cobra name back in the retail marketplace?
[/quote]
[media=]http://youtu.be/bufTna0WArc[/media] :)
[/quote]

Might be the greatest response I have ever seen to a question...

A New King Cobra Deep Face 9* with Steel Shaft please!

M3 9.5* - ACCRA TZ5 265 M5      M5 Rocket 14* Matrix Black 8M3    CBX119 18* EvenFlow Black 
TM 2014 TP 4-PW DG TI X100     RTX4  50, 54, 60 - DG TI S400     Evnroll ER5    Titleist  Players 4
#TeamJetSpeed - Dec 2013

[quote name='COBRA PUMA GOLF' timestamp='1395858032' post='8956195']
[quote name='milt' timestamp='1395853316' post='8955461']
[color=#2F2F2F]Dear Tom, Jose, Mike and Doug,[/color]

[color=#2F2F2F]If you were all stranded on an island together and had to dig a big hole to protect yourself from wildlife, the elements, and other extreme [/color][color=#2f2f2f]obstacles what Cobra club would you bring with you to help dig, and why that club?[/color]
[/quote] [color=#000000][size=3]We would bring two specific competitor wedges because they tend to dig really big holes, since they don't have the nice leading edge radius that our Tour Trusty Wedge has. - All[/size][/color]
[/quote]

Hilarious yet true, I have the 51 degree Trusty Rusty, and 60 degree Tour Trusty, need a 56 now, thanks a lot for the answer, also, sign me up for a driving iron testing when it comes. I'd like a 2 iron driving iron from Cobra.

What is the breakdown for sales based on color? Do you see certain colors have higher sales than others and are production figures tailored to those colors?

M3 9.5* - ACCRA TZ5 265 M5      M5 Rocket 14* Matrix Black 8M3    CBX119 18* EvenFlow Black 
TM 2014 TP 4-PW DG TI X100     RTX4  50, 54, 60 - DG TI S400     Evnroll ER5    Titleist  Players 4
#TeamJetSpeed - Dec 2013

[quote name='robengel' timestamp='1395857000' post='8956057']
I like the fact that Cobra is being innovative and is using inspiration from nature to move weight and make structurally sound designs. Are there any more biological-inspired clubs in the works in R&D that you can speak on?
[/quote] [color=#000000][size=2]Thanks! Nature does have many great inspirations for design and performance. Besides nature, we also look at other areas for inspiration. You will see some cool stuff coming! - Doug Roberts[/size][/color]

[quote name='xThor' timestamp='1395855228' post='8955771']
Thanks for doing this!

What is the reasoning behind only 1 hybrid, why no bio cell + hybrid?

How close is the relationship between cobra and puma, are there any aspects of puma that cobra builds on for products they release. (other than colors? I am a fan of the colors!)
[/quote]

[color=#000000][size=3]Since we have MyFly8 and Smart Pad, we have had great success with our tour players using the standard hybrid head and being very happy with the performance. Usually the need for different in the market in types of hybrids is covered by the various shaft types. (Our tour players dont use the stock hybrid shaft, for instance) For better, stronger players would recommend the same, BiO Cell hybrids with the appropriate fitted shafts! [/size][/color]

[color=#000000][size=3]Check them out as we also rec'd Hot List Gold award in this years Golf Digest. - Tom Olsavsky[/size][/color]

I'm gonna be at Valhalla (Sunday) in August...any chance for an invite to the Tour Van...or any other special behind the scenes???? PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE.

Driver: Cobra Radspeed Season Opener (9) - Ventus Blue Velo (6s)
Fwy:  Cobra F6 Baffler (16) - Hzrdus Red 75 (6.0)

D.I.: Taylormade T.P. UDI 2 (18) - Fujikura Pro 115x

Hybrid:  Cobra F7 3-4 (20.5) - Aldila Tour Blue 85s
Irons:  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark (6 - G) - True Temper Elevate Tour V2 (stiff)
Wedge:  Cleveland RTX Zipcore Tour Raw (54/12) - Nippon Modus 125w
Wedge:  Taylormade Hi-Toe (60/10) - KBS Hi Rev 2.0

Putters:  KREW Klassic Blade...Mannkrafted MA/55...Odyssey MXM Versa #9Ht (Custom)...Machine M10 
Bag:  Bennington LQO-9 Stand Bag