any recommendations on a cheap travel bag?

I have a couple trips planned this year and need to pick up travel golf bag. I don't want to blow the budget on something that I will only use 2-3 times in the next 12 months.

I stumbled upon this on ebay. Looks like it would work. Just hopes it lasts more than 1 flight?

http://www.ebay.com/...=item3383996ce5

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you search you should be able to find an Ogio Straight Jacket for around $80, been very happy with mine going on five years of use with no damage. Can't speak to the Datrek, when I did my search for a travel bag seemed the club glove was the top choice by most but I didn't want to spend that much for one or two trips a year.

Been using the Club Glove Burst Proof since 2002. Had to get a new one last year and found one on the bay for $70.

BT

Cobra LTD Pro 9.5° Proforce V2 Black 7F4 @ 44.5"
Cobra LTD Black 14.5° Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 43"
Cobra F6 16.5° Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 41.5"
Mizuno MP5 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Mizuno MP-T5 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge
Grips - Grip Master Master Perforated Midsize

Oddysey Stroke Lab V-Line Blk 33.5"

i bought a hard shell case for like 50$ or something from golftown a few years back and they are nearly indestructible.

I don't trust anything else. Mine has dents in that look like they were put there with a machete. I don't know what they do with golf bags at airports, but i feel like they possibly stab them for fun.

Get a hard shell case they aren't that much even new

Callaway Mavrik 9 w/Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 60g

Callaway Epic Subzero 14 w/Aldila Rogue Max 75

Ping G400 Crossover 20 w/KBS Tour Prototype 85

Ping G410 4-SW w/ DG S300

Titleist Vokey SM8 60/8 M

SGC #002 385G

[quote name='bookkilla' timestamp='1396405740' post='8999939']
Regarding hard cases... How many could you fit into a trunk of a rental car? I'm thinking if 4 of us have soft bags we can collapse them and make all 4 bags fit.
[/quote]

You'd had to rent an SUV and fold down the back seat or something.

Unless you have a stretch limo you can't fit 4 people and 4 hard shell bags

Callaway Mavrik 9 w/Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 60g

Callaway Epic Subzero 14 w/Aldila Rogue Max 75

Ping G400 Crossover 20 w/KBS Tour Prototype 85

Ping G410 4-SW w/ DG S300

Titleist Vokey SM8 60/8 M

SGC #002 385G

I have a BagBoy that does the job well. Like you a Club Glove bag was out of consideration due to price. The BagBoy has been good to me for years...although the strap/clip broke last week...I think it may have been TSA revenge for my zip ties...

Nike Covert Tour 2.0 - Velox
Nike T60 3w & 5w - Aldila NV
Nike Covert 2.0 or CPR 3 HY
Nike NDS/Pro Combo Split Set
Nike VR 52* & 56*
Nike T130

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1396406279' post='9000019']
Regarding hard cases... How many could you fit into a trunk of a rental car? I'm thinking if 4 of us have soft bags we can collapse them and make all 4 bags fit.
[/quote]

You'd had to rent an SUV and fold down the back seat or something.

Unless you have a stretch limo you can't fit 4 people and 4 hard shell bags
[/quote]

I would not go cheap on a travel case. My wife's case is the Ogio Straight Jacket, that we use with a Club Glove stiff arm but her clubs are light and not particularly bulky or expensive. We may replace that this year. MIne is soft, but much more padded (and expensive).

There are several recent threads on the subject with varied opinions. Before you make decisions, suggest you do a search on GolfWrx for "traveling with golf clubs" and similar words. I came up with several threads using those words.

Just getting 4 sets of clubs to and from the course in a trunk or SUV can be a challenge with the length of today's drivers, at least without taking the driver out. Even a full-size or SUV depending on the make from personal guy-trip experience. So I suggest you try to consider the vehicle dimensions from at least the vehicle offerings "XXX or similar" on the car rental sites, not that you will be guaranteed one of that model probably. Please note if you so go the SUV route you will not likely get a cover supplied for the back section so your clubs and anything else will be exposed if left in the car if you lunch after your round etc.

Besides to and from the course, you still need to get your travel bags with clubs and luggage from the airport to your hotel/condo. With 4 guys, you may find you end up renting two cars, or send two guys with their stuff to the hotel in a taxi, and back that way at the end of the trip. Or all taking a shuttle between the airport and your hotel if there is a rental outlet near the hotel. Car rental prices are generally higher at airport locations.

Ping G425 MAX 10.5°  Alta CB 55 R

Ping G425  MAX  5 wood 17.5° (at 16.5°)  Alta CB 65 R

Ping G410  7 wood 20.5° (at 19.5°)  Alta CB 65 R

Ping G410  hybrids: 4H 22 ° & 5H 26° ( at 25°) Alta CB 70 R

Miura PP-9003 6-PW Steelfiber i70A

Vokey SM6 49.07 F, SM4 54.11 M  and 58.09 S  Steelfiber i80R 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5  34"  25g weight toe, 10g heel

[/quote]

Maybe I'm missing something but if you have four guys on a golf vacation and using soft case instead of hard cases how does that save you any trunk room getting from the airport/rental car location to the hotel? How many rental vehicles do you get?

[quote name='cristphoto' timestamp='1396443744' post='9001889']
[/quote]

Maybe I'm missing something but if you have four guys on a golf vacation and using soft case instead of hard cases how does that save you any trunk room getting from the airport/rental car location to the hotel? How many rental vehicles do you get?
[/quote]

Well, I was thinking once we get to rental, we could take the travel bags off and fold them up. Obviously, drivers/woods would come out of the bags to make it easier to stuff into a trunk. We are only bringing carry ons so those could ride in the car with us. It's a stretch for sure but we are only renting cars to get from the hotel to the course (2 rounds, 2 days) so getting 2 cars is really a waste.

To the OP, I bought this exact 3 piece set on eBay for $40 before my Florida trip in January. I made a Homemade PVC Pole thing like people pay $25 for to protect the top. And when I loaded my clubs in, I put all my irons back in their original bubble wrap in the heads, and put the iron in the plastic sleeve and put them upside down in my stand bag. I took all the heads off my woods and put the heads in my luggage, not the travel bags, taped all the wood shafts together and put them grip side down in the bag. I then took my towels and snaked them through the top and put my rain hood over the whole thing. So barring a side crunching hit that could bend my bag this thing was indestructible. I dont see anymore flights with it in the near future, so I went a cheaper option and made sure it was just a tank inside the bag. Best of luck

[quote name='WiShanks' timestamp='1396449188' post='9002477']
To the OP, I bought this exact 3 piece set on eBay for $40 before my Florida trip in January. I made a Homemade PVC Pole thing like people pay $25 for to protect the top. And when I loaded my clubs in, I put all my irons back in their original bubble wrap in the heads, and put the iron in the plastic sleeve and put them upside down in my stand bag. I took all the heads off my woods and put the heads in my luggage, not the travel bags, taped all the wood shafts together and put them grip side down in the bag. I then took my towels and snaked them through the top and put my rain hood over the whole thing. So barring a side crunching hit that could bend my bag this thing was indestructible. I dont see anymore flights with it in the near future, so I went a cheaper option and made sure it was just a tank inside the bag. Best of luck
[/quote]

Thanks for the tips. I actually have a set of neoprene covers I can slap on all my irons for bag chatter. That pvc pipe idea is a good one. Did you put anything on the top of it?

I had a random piece of hard plastic that looked like a frisbee kind of that i mounted on top and I made sure to cut the PVC long enough that it barely fit in the travel bag so it was tight and snug. I also put all the irons upside down, heads in the bottom of the bag, I figured they would be safer near the hard base of the stand bag. Like I said, everything was so padded and tight in there that barring a bending side hit there was no way any damage could come to it.

I have a [url="http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=33553516&lmdn=Brand&cp=4406646.4413989.4414127"]soft cover Maxfli[/url] case (it's not this exact one, but an older model I believe) that does a really good job. A lot of protection, and an added padded wrap towards the top which offers more protection for the club heads. I had a hard case for years, and it's just a freaking pain to travel with. The shell itself is great for protection, but the cheap ones...they show their worth in the clips used to 'secure' it. Those broke on me after maybe 3 trips. The other problem with a hard shell is the 50 pound limit with airlines. Those hard cases themselves take up half that weight. If you want to shove anything else in there outside of clubs, you're going to be over.

As far as other ideas, I usually take the driver head with me in my carry on, in a head cover. Shafts go with the bag, tip down. I bought 4 1/4" wooden dowels from Home Depot and cut them to 46" and taped them together. That's my 'brunt' stick. If the handlers get feisty and throw it headfirst into something, the wooden dowels take the brunt of it, not any club.

If you take your driver head out of your bag and take it with you, just remember to bring it with you to the course! I haven't forgot mine, but can imagine some do. I've also traveled with the head in the side pocket of the bag so it's all together, but I just make sure I separate them.

Ping G400 Max/LST XXXphlex Rickie Proto
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 18* UST Proforce V2
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105S

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105S
Vokey SM7 50F/54S/58M AMT White S400
Odyssey MXM #1W
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/957665-hayzooos-witb-20140121/"]WITB Link[/url]

I have had the Club Glove for over 10 years and it has paid for itself over that time.
I won't buy luggage- including a golf travel bag- that doesn't have wheels.

GBB Epic Flash Sub Zero 10.5 Project X EvenFlow Green
GBB Epic 5/7 wood
Maverick 3/4/5 Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 6-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 JB Forged Wedges 54/58
Stroke Lab R Ball Slant

For other ideas for extra protection, I bought one of those egg shell mattress top things at Walmart for like $10. I cut it so it fit inside my bag and was able to wrap around my whole bag. I used the internal straps to secure it around my golf bag so that you could barely see any bag at all. Worked like a gem.

Indeed, nice find and the seller even delivered it...wow.

I agree pack it well, but I don't feel it is a good idea for it to be so well-packed to be difficult for TSA to get in to look at what you have and put it back safely. Odds are that they will want to get in your bag, so make sure you put on TSA-approved locks.

Ping G425 MAX 10.5°  Alta CB 55 R

Ping G425  MAX  5 wood 17.5° (at 16.5°)  Alta CB 65 R

Ping G410  7 wood 20.5° (at 19.5°)  Alta CB 65 R

Ping G410  hybrids: 4H 22 ° & 5H 26° ( at 25°) Alta CB 70 R

Miura PP-9003 6-PW Steelfiber i70A

Vokey SM6 49.07 F, SM4 54.11 M  and 58.09 S  Steelfiber i80R 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5  34"  25g weight toe, 10g heel

Yeah definitely use TSA locks, they went through mine on the flight down, but not on the way back. They really didnt peek through much I dont think because the bombproof job I did of putting it together was still intact, I think they just went through my zippered part with the tees, club tool, divot repairs etc. The combo TSA locks are really convenient and its easier for you and security