LIVE Q&A with True Temper & Mizuno Golf Tue. April 8 11AM ET. Ask a question win a hockey stick!

[quote name='GoIrish17' timestamp='1396884228' post='9038211']
What can you True Temper guys tell me about the new Project X Handcrafted options being listed on Callaway's site? What are some specs/ characteristics of this shaft?
[/quote]

[i]It’s a really cool project we have been working on. All of the shafts are handmade in our San Diego facility. Our PX engineers designed these shafts with a Loading Zone which changes from flex to flex to produce more ball speed and distance. We have three weight categories..70 grams, 60 grams and 50 grams and then individual flexes within those categories. Look for more info on specs and the shafts this week on the Project X site.[/i]

WITB

Driver-Titleist TSr3 9* w/ HZRDUS Green 60TX (HULK)

3 Wood-Titleist TSi2 15* w/ ACCRA TZFive 70 M5 (Masters Edition)

Irons-Taylormade P7MC 3-PW w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Wedges-Titleist Vokey 56.12D &60.12D w/ Dynamic Gold Mid S400

Putter-Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec Newport 2 w/ Steelfiber i125p

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Vosh68' timestamp='1396969806' post='9046113'][quote name='xerpro' timestamp='1396886128' post='9038459']
Long time fan of mizuno, and true temper. Thanks for coming on.
I would like to say, that if Im chosen to win the hockey stick, one of my friends from the great white north will have to show me what to do with it. We didnt have hockey in SC.

Anyhow.....Chris.....I have heard great things about the newest line of woods, the JPX EZ. Did you guys move the weight lower and forward to reduce spin? I have a buddy that has been raving about this head for several weeks, and he believed that to be true. I just havent heard yet.

Chad- What are the plans for the premium graphite shaft? As we see more stronger players gravitate towards high density graphite, just wanted to see where you guys were heading..

Thanks for the opportunity
[/quote]

Actually, we moved we weight low and back on the JPX EZ. From the engineering side, the industry has not been wrong for the past 30 years that a low deep CG is helpful for the golfer! The key is that the Sweet Spot stays low and that was focus on the EZ. The result is an easy to launch club plus low spin![/quote]

Awesome, thanks for the answer. That explains why his spin dropped about 600 Rpms from his 910.
Going to take a few swings with it and see how it stacks up to the sftp.

Taylormade M5 Tour 9* AD-VR 6
Callaway Steelhead XR 16* Ahina 60X
Tour Edge EXS220 18* Ventus
Adams MB2 RAW 5-PW Smoke KBS Tour 120
MD4 Raw 50/58/62 
Piretti Cortino 2

[quote name='bigdawginva' timestamp='1396902195' post='9040429']
I just had my first club fitting and he recommended last year's JPX 825 irons with a custom shafts. What benefits would I experience with the JPX EZ irons over the JPX 825's?
[/quote]

EZ will be more forgiving, but what you gain in forgiveness you will most likely lose in workability (the ability to hit knock downs, for example).

[quote name='joey2aces' timestamp='1396884995' post='9038303']
As we have seen through this site and the trips, a proper fitting has its countless benefits. When I go into my local big box stores it seems I don't have the option of trying out more than what they have in stock.
Being in Syracuse, NY and coupled with the fact that I don't belong anywhere I don't get to attend many demo days. Do you at Mizuno or True Temper have demo days up here? Also, do you have any authorized/recommended dealers you could point me to in order to get a proper fit to all that you offer?

thanks again! These forums are very helpful.

Joe
[/quote]

We have a Performance Fitting Center in your area. Check them out:
PRESTWICK GOLF LTD
Ed Patterson
155 Court Street
Syracuse, NY 13208 US
315-422-4653[p]

WITB

[quote name='dke4397' timestamp='1396909175' post='9041289']
I just want to say that I love my true Temper shafts in all my Mizuno MP-59 irons and MP-T4 wedges. My question is why are shafts so expensive? They range from inexpensive shafts to exotics for hundreds of dollars each.
[/quote]

While this is more a True Temper question, I will throw in my two cents as an outsider who has had the priveledge of touring the True Temper facility. Once you see the scale of the operation that goes into making a single shaft it really blows you away that they don't cost 5x more! It true is an impressive engineering feat that TT is able to produce the quality and consistency of shafts that they do!

[quote name='chiguy' timestamp='1396545930' post='9012261']
Thanks for taking the time. This one is for Chris.

Chris, how has Mizuno's grain flow forging process opened the door for advances in club head design, Does it allow for more options as far as perimeter weighting and possibly a thinner face?
[/quote]

Love questions like this. The GFF process that we developed along with Chuo (our exclusive forging house) has allowed us to do many things outside the box in terms of forgings. While the feel of the Grain Flow Forging is second to none, the really exciting things are the new technologies. For example, the undercut forging that takes places on the JPX EZ Forged is a process that was very difficult to execute, the results in terms of COR area expanding on a 1 piece forging are incredible. Also the MP58/59 type designs where Titanium is forged directly into the head without using any welding/brazing processes to secure the multi-material really were ground breaking. Not sure if everyone knows the details of how it works, but we use the different expansion characteristics of the two metals as they cool to mechanically lock the Titanium in place.
Pretty cool stuff.

[quote name='OUZO Power' timestamp='1396902245' post='9040443']
Q1 for Mizuno: Any chance of increasing the lefty line? I dont consider Mizuno at all simply becuase it's slim pickings.
Q2 for Mizuno: Driver market is huge.Yet we see little to no push from Mizuno in promoting drivers & woods. Will this change any time soon and we see you guys try and take some of the marketshare?
[/quote]

We are always looking to increase our offerings to the Lefty world, and definitely hear your cries. Just keep on the lookout!
It's huge, but it's also a bloodbath. Constant markdowns, launch after launch, free FW/Hybrids with the purchase of drivers, etc. In All honesty, it doesn't line up with Mizuno's strategy. You'll see us continue to push out better and better wood offerings, but don't expect us to out Taylor Made Taylor Made, if you know what I mean.

[quote name='xerpro' timestamp='1396886128' post='9038459']
Long time fan of mizuno, and true temper. Thanks for coming on.
I would like to say, that if Im chosen to win the hockey stick, one of my friends from the great white north will have to show me what to do with it. We didnt have hockey in SC.

Anyhow.....Chris.....I have heard great things about the newest line of woods, the JPX EZ. Did you guys move the weight lower and forward to reduce spin? I have a buddy that has been raving about this head for several weeks, and he believed that to be true. I just havent heard yet.

Chad- What are the plans for the premium graphite shaft? As we see more stronger players gravitate towards high density graphite, just wanted to see where you guys were heading..

Thanks for the opportunity
[/quote]

[i]I assume you’re asking about iron shafts? If so, we are always investigating the right product opportunities. Graphite irons are tricky simply because we believe completely in the benefits of steel iron shafts. We certainly believe in the merits of graphite with woods and hybrids and are having a lot of fun with the new Project X LZ Hand Crafted series. If the market tells us clearly that we should pursue graphite irons we will do so…however, at this point only 2-4% of the best players in the world trust graphite irons each week. Therefore our focus remains making the best high performance alloy shafts in the world…both for the stronger players (DG / PX series) and the average player (XP series).[/i]

WITB

[quote name='B.Boston' timestamp='1396902383' post='9040453']
Hi Guys,

I am in the market for new irons, and really want to get custom fit this time around. I am a shorter guy (5'4) and can not sole my std length/lie irons level on the ground. Actually, I don't even swing my 4 or 5 iron anymore since I cannot make solid contact. I have been eyeing Mizuno clubs (especially some of the forged models, EZ Forged, MP-54) as they seem to be two closely matched models and suit my eye well.

What technologies have been developed and used in your product lines that make them better than what was available even 4 or 5 years ago? It seems to me that it is much easier to sell the technology in drivers versus in irons where the look of the iron has not changed all that much. Do you think your biggest improvements have been on feel, control, forgiveness, or distance?

Thanks, keep up the good work!
-Bryan
[/quote]

Speaking specifically to the EZ forged set if irons, we are doing a new undercut cavity design which has allowed the COR of a 1 piece forged golf club to get high than ever before. On top of that, more advances in

[quote name='BB17406' timestamp='1396887067' post='9038571']
Looking for a shaft to compare to the Dynamic Gold Lite S300 shaft with Mid flex and medium/stiff tip. What does TT have that compares with the nice Kick I feel with this shaft.
[/quote]

[i]Check out Dynamic Gold SL:[/i][i] [url="http://www.truetemper.com/products/dynamic-gold-sl/"]http://www.truetemper.com/products/dynamic-gold-sl/[/url] [/i]

WITB

[quote name='jcorna01' timestamp='1396549142' post='9012761']
Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions!

Chris- Are there plans to make the Mizuno MP putters (A & T series), or at least future Mizuno putter lines, more readily available in the United States? The MP T06 looks incredible. If not, do you feel it is due to an already overcrowded market? Or has Mizuno tried before and not succeeded?

Thanks again for taking some time for us!
[/quote]

Again this really is a focus/strategy decision in the US. Our plan is to establish an even larger iron market share (what we're best know for and we still feel we have room to grow) before turning our attention to other categories in the market. That being said, they really are AWESOME putters.

[quote name='Diesel_z06' timestamp='1396902851' post='9040515']
Is there anyway to remove the set screw in the jpx ez driver to make hotmelting easier?

... What's the bend point on the hockey stick look like? Weight? Fairly interested in that one piece composite?
[/quote]

It is removable with heat and the proper security torx bit, just keep in mind that this will void any Mizuno warrenty.

[quote name='zivis2' timestamp='1396909442' post='9041321']
Question for Chris: With all the hype about "lofting up" with the forward CG heads, how would you compare the MP 650 line to these heads? Any plans for a 650 line replacement?
[/quote]

This is one that I go back and forth on whether I want to answer it or not. While I defintiely do, it feels like throwing a competitor completely under the bus. Oh well, here goes. My take on

I play the JPX825 Pro's with DG S300's. How often to recommend checking the lofts and lies? I practice/play 3-5 times per week and this includes some range time off of the mats.

Also, I swapped out my 4i and 5i for the MP-H4 versions. What lofts do you recommend to match them best to the 6i in the JPX825 Pro?

Thanks guys!

TM R15
TM M1 3W
TM M1 3H and 4H
Mizuno JPX825 Pro irons
Mizuno R12 wedges
Piretti Potenza II
Snell MTB

[quote name='jayrayray7' timestamp='1396928642' post='9043721']
For Mizuno- I have lately taken an intrest in club design and would like to know afew things. First, can you show a comparison of your competitors tech and how yours is better. Second, and this is somthing I have always wanted to know, do the designs on the backside of the face actually do any thing to increase performance? Third and last, what led you to choose orange and black as your colors?

For True Temper- How much of a difference does shaft flex in my irons make on my swing.

Thanks to Mizuno and True Temper for answering our questions!
[/quote]

A good place to see a technology comparison in terms of distance is here ( http://www.mizunousa.com/golf/products/mizuno-jpx-825-irons#.U0Py7KI3fuE ) where clubs were matched for specs/shafts/etc.

The back design can definitly play a role in performance. Particularly the sound and feel of the club.

We chose the Orange/Black to be the opposite of our traditional Blue/Silver. Really wanted to stand out!

[quote name='tigercub' timestamp='1396552146' post='9013199']
With other companies offering many selections of irons/clubs available in LH vs. Mizuno, what sets the criteria (volume, prior sales data, etc.) for Mizuno to produce something in LH?
[/quote]

With the majority of our offerings being Forged golf clubs, we have to carefully analyze how many sets we can sell of any given set to justify making the left handed set of molds. The other option would be to charge more for a lefty set, but that wouldn't go over well at all! This is something that we are constantly working to improve, but it's the nature of specializing in forged models.

[quote name='kcbrady' timestamp='1396889657' post='9038835']
I play with MP64 and had a True Temper M80 prototype shaft installed. Great shaft!!! How ever, the 5 iron shaft broke (damaged in transit). I replaced it with a Project X 5.5 which seems heavier. Is there a current True Temper shaft that resembles the M80 I can purchase?
Also, what Graphite iron shaft would you recommend for a guy with 100MPH DRIVER SPEED. Handicap 3 - 61 yrs. old.

Thank-you!
[/quote]

XP105 is a good option if you like the M80 shaft.

WITB

[quote name='vettenut79' timestamp='1396930749' post='9043889']
Thank you for the opportunity to ask this question: I have in my collection of drivers a [b]MIZUNO MP600 Driver[/b], which I believe was the first name-brand Driver to feature [b]moveable weighting[/b]. This feature was then copied by most other major OEM's, at the time when MIZUNO moved away from it. My question is: Will Mizuno move back to the moveable weighting feature in future drivers, to bring the performance of its Drivers up to the comparable level of performance long enjoyed by MUZUNO irons?

Thanks again for the opportunity. I'll be listening for your reply!
[/quote]

The 600 was awesome and we are always looking for better, and more innovative ways to execute our design goals. That's all I can say for now! ;-)