2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Mission Hills Shenzen China

Bizzle80

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So it doesn't seem like there are a lot of wrx players in china...so I'll give a n update since I am on my way home from mission hills Shenzhen.

Had a chance to stay and play in between business in hong kong and china. I would say overall it's definitely worth a trip if you are in the area, or frankly even if you are looking for a unique golf buddies vaca/trip with wifey etc...

Its about an hour and half from HK, and the resort actually will pick you up at China border, so really convenient. The Mission Hills resorts itself is pretty nice and actually very reasonable. My weekend rate for a huge and really well set room was only $130/nt. including a decent breakfast buffet - thats about the only place you will save some cash though.

For those that haven't heard, Mission Hills is a complex of 12, yes 12 golf courses around a resort and three clubhouses.

The golf is pricey, but if you aren't being price sensitive I think totally worth it. Golf in china is really a very unique experience for amareican players. For starters you must take a caddy and cart. The caddies however are all these tiny girls, who fortunately don't carry your bags, but still it's weird having a young girl carrying my clubs back and forth and recommending clubs etc.

I will say the caddies are amazing. They take a year of training before getting to actually hit the course. There are also 'golden' caddies who have I think at least four years experience. A bit pricier, but I figured I'd go all out and had a golden caddie for each of the two rounds I played. Within a few holes each of my caddies had my yardages pretty dialed, and would tell me best areas to place my shots. They also would mark your ball on the green and line it up for you. I am a pretty good putter, confident I can generally putt down a line...and with them lining me up I holed 3 putts from outside 30 feet in two rounds. Ridiculous, the girls were great. I actually found out that most of the caddies generally only work one or maybe two courses, so they know them cold.

As for the golf itself, really immaculate conditions. I played the World Cup course designed by Nicklaus, and the Ozaki course, named after Japanese golf legend jumbo Ozaki. The terrain in both are really interesting, with very tree lined fairways. The Nicklaus course set up pretty similar to most of his designs - lots of sand. I actually really preferred the Ozaki course. It played through the mountain a little bit, so lots of elevation changes, shots over water, and frankly a more visually impact full layout. Every green was backed up with forest, fronted by water or surrounded by the hill. Just beautiful. Would play again in a heartbeat.

I only managed to play the two, though I was trying to play night golf - played on back 9's of the Els and Ozaki courses. I was able to see from my room, and the lights were bright. Looked like playing in a stadium. Wish I hadn't been so beat.

The rounds each ended up being close to $300 after caddy fees and food and water on the course. I'd recommend trying to check out their promotional deals by contacting the hotel directly. Weekday rates are much lower, but weekends get busy - even across all the courses. Expensive, but kind of a unique experience...and golf in china is getting really pricey all around apparently.

I am going back for business in may, and am going to play again. I'll try some other courses out and update.

A few notes, definitely bring your own balls/equipment. Pro v's were over $100/box. There are Marshall's on every couple holes, so they definitely make sure groups are keeping pace.

I cant remember paying that much for a round...I think ever, but I guess considering it was work/vacation I'm glad I did. Next trip I am going to try and keep it to midweek rounds, I think about half the price. Ok, sorry for being long winded, but no one has updated this in a while and I thought I'd try to be a bit more thorough.

Can't comment on the pricing as when I played my Uncle and his company has those diamond shares....(or whatever it was to allow access to all the courses on the property). Wasn't allowed to pay for anything so no clue on that aspect.

It's a trek to get out that way, we stayed in HK so had to drive to some remote parking lot, and take the shuttle to the border....go through customs, then get on another shuttle to take us to the course. A little different than my usual 7mins door to door here at home.

Courses were in FANTASTIC shape, as as posted above you have to take a caddy/cart. Caddy's (women) were quite knowledgeable and some could converse well in English. A bit strange having them mark the ball on the green though.

A unique experience for sure. To add, I didn't drag my clubs with my across the pond, but I'd HIGHLY recommend it if you are Left Handed!!!
(I got a hodge podge set of variable length, and variable flex clubs.....made for an interesting round!)

Callaway GBB Epic 9* w/ Ahina 70x
Taylormade SIM Ti 15* w/ Ahina 80x

Srixon Z U85 18* Driving Iron w/ Ahina 80x
Callaway XHot Pro Hybrid w/ Ahina 80x
Mizuno MP60 3-PW w/ DG X100
Odyssey Black Series i #2
Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 60*, Vokey 64*

[quote name='hbear' timestamp='1397506446' post='9090107']
Can't comment on the pricing as when I played my Uncle and his company has those diamond shares....(or whatever it was to allow access to all the courses on the property). Wasn't allowed to pay for anything so no clue on that aspect.

It's a trek to get out that way, we stayed in HK so had to drive to some remote parking lot, and take the shuttle to the border....go through customs, then get on another shuttle to take us to the course. A little different than my usual 7mins door to door here at home.

Courses were in FANTASTIC shape, as as posted above you have to take a caddy/cart. Caddy's (women) were quite knowledgeable and some could converse well in English. A bit strange having them mark the ball on the green though.

A unique experience for sure. To add, I didn't drag my clubs with my across the pond, but I'd HIGHLY recommend it if you are Left Handed!!!
(I got a hodge podge set of variable length, and variable flex clubs.....made for an interesting round!)
[/quote]

I bought a travel tube, so take my clubs with me wherever I go pretty much. Nothing ruins a great course that playing with some crap set of rentals. I need to play with your uncle next time...

Did you have a favorite among the courses? I am going back in may and will try a few other set ups. Did you play night golf at all?

Only played the World Cup and Ozaki courses, both were a lot of fun. Can't comment on the others. They all looked great and I was just in awe as to how big the complex was....

Didn't play any night golf, I would've liked to as it would be interesting, but time just didn't allow.

The time commitment needed to play golf out there is crazy.....most members don't play much as it usually involves going to the complex after work (late Friday) and staying the weekend to play a couple rounds. Which is ok only if you don't want to see you family! Pretty much doing a buddies golf trip for every round you wish to play.

If you are in HK, have you tried Kau Sia Kung (golf island owned by the Jockey club) It's a bit out there closer to the territories, but makes for another interesting golf experience.
Have to take a ferry to the courses, and when you get there you are literally on an island with two fun golf courses. Don't feel like you are near the city at all....which is strange to me over there. Bring you handicap card AND passport!!! Didn't know I needed either to play and had to take a picture of GHIN online and have our spouses fax copies of our passports. (HK residents have their "green card" or resident card they must use).

Again since I wasn't allowed to pay for anything, no idea on the cost....

• 8 months later...

Anymore reports/reviews on Mission Hills? Going to China/HK in March for work..thinking of stopping in at Mission Hills. I see the Olazabal course as the highest ranked? At least in 1 world ranking I saw...and yes, I have read before about KSK in HK...interested to try that one as well.

It's complicated to book the Mission Hills...and I didn't realize it's spread out. 25-30 minutes between certain clubhouses/courses? Guess if I stay at the main Shenzhen complex that's where the Nicklaus, Ozaki, Falso courses are?
Do they charge surcharge for any? Well I sent in an inquiry...will see how they respond.

TM R1
TM Rbz Stage2 3w (15) & 3 hyb (19)
Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
Titleist Vokey SM-4 54-8 & 58-12
Ping TR 1966 Anser2

[quote name='TerpFangolfer' timestamp='1419339286' post='10632273']
Anymore reports/reviews on Mission Hills? Going to China/HK in March for work..thinking of stopping in at Mission Hills. I see the Olazabal course as the highest ranked? At least in 1 world ranking I saw...and yes, I have read before about KSK in HK...interested to try that one as well.

It's complicated to book the Mission Hills...and I didn't realize it's spread out. 25-30 minutes between certain clubhouses/courses? Guess if I stay at the main Shenzhen complex that's where the Nicklaus, Ozaki, Falso courses are?
Do they charge surcharge for any? Well I sent in an inquiry...will see how they respond.
[/quote]

Terp I'm looking at doing the some thing as a single golfer (playing as a single in Korea seems next to impossible). If you don't mind posting what you find out I'd appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...

We didn't stay as we did a couple there and back trips (literally took us all day by the time it was all said and done...leave HK in the morning, get back to HK later evening in time for dinner with the family) to ensure we still spent time with our families.

The complex is absolutely massive.....which should be no surprise given how many courses, clubhouses, etc. there are. However I've seen nothing like it before in North America.
You'll enjoy the experience.

I think I posted some pics of Misson Hills and the Jockey club course a long time ago.
http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/251456-golf-in-china/page__p__1645230#entry1645230

• 1 month later...

I'm booked to Mission Hills in March for 3 days...playing Els, then Olazabal, then WC.
Will be there with my gf (non-golfer, or rather, very beginner), but I found a 2nd golfer to join for the rounds. So won't be a single...

I'll post my experiences after the trip...

TM R1
Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
Ping TR 1966 Anser2

• 1 month later...

Updating...just got back from China.

Booked 3d golf package - but extended 1 extra day because the place is so awesome! Cant wait to go back...the only drawback was the $$$. And that is without having to pay for travel to China (I was there on biz).

Played Els, Olazabal, World Cup (Nicklaus) & Ozaki.

Really a first class operation. You drop your clubs with them - and dont have to see/deal with them the rest of the time. They are on your cart, w/ your caddy at the first tee of whatever course you are playing next!

The courses were in great shape (bordering on "over" conditioned, if you know what I mean). Had several plugged drives, even though it hadn't rained in days...the caddies are pretty good. Some language barrier, but they understand most common english golf terms. Good with yardages...and ok with advice. But maybe not so much for good players. Quick example - #13 on Olazabal is a par 3 with a front bunker that should be "avoided at all costs" - but the caddy didn't say anything. You can see the bunker from the tee - but it has such a steep face, and soft sand, that any shot plugs deep into the face (which of course mine did...borderline unplayable in the bunker). A great caddy would have said "don't go in front bunker!"...but its a small point.

As mentioned it is $$$ - I was booked on a daily package which included room & breakfast, golf & post-golf massage (awesome!) for ~$400/night. With my gf along (but not playing golf, but she got the massage).

As I think mentioned above (or in another MH thread) - they will not allow a non-player on the course. A bit of a bummer as my gf actually likes to go around the course with me - we did Ireland last May and she was able to walk along for every round I played. Of course, I told her, the scenery in China was nothing like Ireland - and she got extra pool time.

The place is beyond huge -with shuttle busses to take you to whichever course you are playing, and as I said you dont have to worry about your clubs. Another small thing - despite having huge expanses of natural grass pratice tees, they made you hit warmups off the mats. I guess the grass is only for the pros!

Its so big they can be hosting 2 tournaments and you dont even notice. They had one of the Faldo series events + the Shenzhen Open going on - with no effect on pace of play, or crowd on the other courses.

I hope I can go back and play more courses - Faldo, Norman, Dye...of the courses I played I would go back to WC 1st...I found Olazabal a little "tricked" up - with all the bunkers. Just my impression.

Will post some pics soon...

TM R1
Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
Ping TR 1966 Anser2

finally got pics uploaded...

Outside the Shenzhen resort hotel
[attachment=2678101:China_012.JPG]

The "board" of designers
[attachment=2678095:China_002.JPG]

Full-size wall map of the entire complex
[attachment=2678099:China_004.JPG]

They even have night golf!
[attachment=2678097:China_034.JPG]

Sorry, no course photos - they never come out great for me

TM R1
Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
Ping TR 1966 Anser2

• 3 years later...

Sorry to dig this thread up, but this subforum is pretty quiet anyway.

I've booked in for Mission Hills for December this year, wife is heading over for business so figured I'd join her.

Booked into play Nicklus, Annika, Night Course, Norman, Faldo and Olazabal and staying 4 nights so should be busy but fun.

Just wondering if the tips above are still relevant or if anyone has been since and has an update on anythkng has changed majorly.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to dig this thread up, but this subforum is pretty quiet anyway.

I've booked in for Mission Hills for December this year, wife is heading over for business so figured I'd join her.

Booked into play Nicklus, Annika, Night Course, Norman, Faldo and Olazabal and staying 4 nights so should be busy but fun.

Just wondering if the tips above are still relevant or if anyone has been since and has an update on anythkng has changed majorly.

Skip Annika and try to find a way to play the dye course. It’s the best of the 12 in my opinion. Nicklaus is 2nd best. Annika course is short and way too much elevation change to wear you can hit driver 350 or a 5 iron 350 and let it run down the hills. Else, olazabal and Norman are pretty good. Regardless it’s a cool experience compared to golf in the states. Enjoy!

• 3 months later...

This is about $1300. Seems if you do the midweek, longer package it works out to a really good deal....~$110/nt and $110/round

MISSION HILLS SHENZHEN 6 NIGHT 5 ROUND MIDWEEK STAY AND PLAY PACKAGE

Inclusions

● 6 nights’ stay at Mission Hills Resort Shenzhen – Dongguan Hotel Grande Deluxe Mountain View Room

● 5 rounds of WEEKDAY golf at selected courses (Including Must Play Olazabel Course)

● Daily breakfast

● Personalized caddy & shared motorised cart

● Private return transfer between HKG airport/city and Mission Hills Resort (based on 4 golfers traveling together in the same vehicle)

Exclusions:

● International air ticket

● Entry visas

● Personal expenses

● Driver/guide/caddy/masseuse tips and gratuities

● Meals not specified

Remarks:

● Weekend and holiday means Sat, Sun and Hong Kong Public Holidays.

● Based on minimum of 4 golfers travelling together

● Rack rates apply during Mission Hills special tournament dates.

● All booking must be made in advance and subject to availability.

● The above rates do not include caddy tips, personal expenses and meals not specified.

● Recommended caddy tipping is RMB120 – RMB150 per person per round.

Total cost for each Golfer twin share RMB8,350 – Approximately AUD$1740.00 (Based on 1 AUD = 4.8 RMB)

Single Supplement please add RMB2,350 – Approximately AUD$500.00 (Based on 1 AUD = 4.8 RMB)