Who would try a 15 in. cup?

pkwilli1999

There's a course near me that has what they call a "big cup tournament". Its an 18 hole scramble format with 17 inch holes and yes it is a blast. They do this once in the spring and once in fall. Its a laid back fun event and I enjoy it very much. I wouldn't want to see this as a permanent thing but I do have a great time doing it.

Handicap 7.7

I don't see any point to this concept.
For the most part it doesn't really appeal to people who already play golf.
The non-golfers who might be attracted are going to play twice a year.
I don't see it generating more club sales, more green fees or more golfers.

Rogue ST Max Graphite Design MAD
Rogue 3HL and 7 wood
Sub 70 4/5/6 949x Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 7-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 JB Forged Wedges 54/58

Odyssey EXO Seven Slant

Played at the TM sponsored testing spot at Pauma Valley CC with 15 inch cups about a month ago. It was really a fun day! Really a blast. Not as easy as you'd think. The one thing that stood out was pace of play. Done in little over 3 hours. Awesome. Those complaining about not being challenging enough do have a point but you're missing the big picture.

This isn't about you. It's about growing the game. That's all Mark King wants. Of course he wants to move merchandise but its more about growing the game. The game takes way way way too long. The other thing we had to do was put sand in the cups. The cups are so big that balls would just pop right back out if sand wasn't put in them to keep the balls in..

Absolutely zero interest in playing non-golf on Mark King's terms.

The pace of play thing is interesting, but I'm inclined to think that it wouldn't hold up to the test of time. Slow players are slow players regardless and it's not because of their putting so much as it is hitting three--or five--off the tee, hunting for lost balls, and not having any competency in the skill of ready golf. I'm constantly shocked at how slow some people can be.

I certainly don't buy into the need to "grow the game." It's been around a very long time and will be around for a very long time. The fact that some courses will go under because too many were built and depended on the waning Tiger effect is really not something I've got a problem with.

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1397746784' post='9111539']
Sergio and Justin Rose played 9 holes on Monday post Masters at a TM event kicking off the program. Sergio shot -6 but JR only -3.

It would be interesting to try it but that just seems like your odds of making a putt from any distance would increase factorially. If it gets more people to play the game, great...if it improves pace...great...not sure I'm going to feel better about the score I shot though.
[/quote]

I played with Rose on Monday. An amazing day (I don't think I've hit the ball that well from tee to green in my life. I'll take a "Great shot, dude!" from Justin any day). It's not as easy as you think. I almost holed one from 115 yards, but that was only 1 shot.

[quote name='JimNewton' timestamp='1397752461' post='9112365']
I'd still lip out.
[/quote]

I lipped out 2 of them!

[quote name='CoryN' timestamp='1397753640' post='9112509']
I've played in a few 8in cup tournaments, and it's not as easy as it may seem.

The size of the hole causes you to be very aggressive and most of the time makes you have 10 footers coming back. Also, if you hit the lip the ball rolls much past the hole as it has a lot more time to build up speed on the lip, compared to a 3 in cup.
[/quote]

You definitely change your strategy. You are very aggressive around and on the green. You mind sees break though and it's not as easy to adjust to going straight at the hole with speed as you think. Still within 7 feet, you should make a come backer.

From 100 and in, I hit a couple of 'chasers' to try to get the ball rolling on the green earlier and roll out towards the hole. Unfortunately neither went in.

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

I used to hate the idea.

Now I think it may work well for some recreational players.

But I'll continue to torture myself as long as I can.
I was a + cap but then investment banking came along.
I envy you guys who actually get to touch a club.

910D3 9.25* PX 6.5
910F 16.5* PX 6.5
910H 20.5* PX 6.5
T-MB 4, 5 TI X100
716 AP2 6-9 TI X100
SM5 46* Chrome TI X100
SM5 Raw 52*, 56*, 60* Raw TI S400
Wilson Staff 1

I think it would be fun in random scrambles and such, maybe for a separate course. But with the way courses are being built today, 15" cup isn't going to do a whole lot of good IMO. The long times on resort courses probably aren't spend around the greens, it's trudging through the woods looking for lost balls, hitting 3+ shots off the tee because the first two went into the woods or pond, or didn't make it over the 220 yard required carry.

I'd be up for playing in a charity scramble once or twice a year that used 15" cups, why not? It's not 'real' golf anyway. I wouldn't want courses I normally play to all of a sudden have 15" cups in addition to the standard ones. That wouldn't be much fun at all.

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

I hear this is going to be a feature at the next Hartounian design. Comes with a complimentary skirt.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

My old club would have an 8 inch cup tournament once a year. Scoring was remarkably similar to 4 inch cups, but the pace of play improved significantly, mainly due to players not marking and needing to spend as much time prior to a 2-5 foot putt. I could support an 8 inch cup, but believe 15 inch would be too much of a game changer.

Here at ferris state we played a pgm tournament with 12 inch cups and we all shot bout the same.

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

[quote name='sharkiesj' timestamp='1397759379' post='9113155']
Played at the TM sponsored testing spot at [b]Pauma Valley CC[/b] with 15 inch cups about a month ago. It was really a fun day! Really a blast. Not as easy as you'd think. The one thing that stood out was pace of play. Done in little over 3 hours. Awesome. Those complaining about not being challenging enough do have a point but you're missing the big picture.

This isn't about you. It's about growing the game. That's all Mark King wants. Of course he wants to move merchandise but its more about growing the game. The game takes way way way too long. The other thing we had to do was put sand in the cups. The cups are so big that balls would just pop right back out if sand wasn't put in them to keep the balls in..
[/quote]
You played at a private country club. Three+ hours is pretty normal for a private club using regulation size holes. Not the best example.
Go to a muni at 10AM on a Saturday, and if 15 inch cups take it from 5 hours down to 3, you'll have something.

[quote name='rvgolfer' timestamp='1397782746' post='9115493']
My old club would have an 8 inch cup tournament once a year. Scoring was remarkably similar to 4 inch cups, but the pace of play improved significantly, mainly due to players not marking and[b] [color=#A52A2A]needing to spend as much time prior to a 2-5 foot putt.[/color][/b] I could support an 8 inch cup, but believe 15 inch would be too much of a game changer.
[/quote]

Anybody (Mr Everybody, average Joe) needing more than 5 seconds (and I'm being generous) on a 2-5 foot putt, is going to miss it anyway. :taunt:

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: Srixon XV 
CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)

Not interested. Changing the hole to the size of a manhole cover isn't going to help anyone advance the ball consistently from the fairway. That's where the casual/new golfer typically struggles most. Anyone, and I mean anyone, can practice putting and improve that part of their game without leaving their living room.

[quote name='sharkiesj' timestamp='1397759379' post='9113155']
Played at the TM sponsored testing spot at Pauma Valley CC with 15 inch cups about a month ago. It was really a fun day! Really a blast. Not as easy as you'd think. The one thing that stood out was pace of play. Done in little over 3 hours. Awesome. Those complaining about not being challenging enough do have a point but you're missing the big picture.

[/quote]

I'm thinking Mark King wants something wise besides "growing the game"...

While that may play a part, don't kid yourself- majority of it is clearly cash driven.

Outside of a scramble every once in awhile, count me out. I like the game just the way it is..

[quote name='djmohab2' timestamp='1397747984' post='9111695']
Really, even my hacker friends are capable of two putting pretty much everything. It's the getting there in a decent amount of strokes which seems to be the killer for them.
[/quote]

Well said. Larger cups are promoted as a way to make golf easier, faster, more fun, etc. The reality is that it's getting to the green that's the real struggle and the greatest frustration for most new golfers and high handicappers. If you want to try larger cups for the sake of trying something different, then I say go for it. For similar reasons, I'll play a little basketball on a short rim once-in-a-while so I can re-experience the dunks of my youth when I played college ball. It's fun for a short while as a diversion...but it's not really basketball.

But don't disguise the pursuit of larger cups as a way to make golf easier, faster, or more fun. It suggests that there is an ulterior motive (sell equipment) or a complete misunderstanding of why golf is hard for most of us (especially newbies and high handicappers).

Ted Bishop now gets my hypocrite of the decade award:

====

“We’ve got to stop scaring people away from golf [b]by telling them that there is only one way to play the game and it includes these specific guidelines[/b],” said Ted Bishop, the president of the P.G.A. of America, who
also owns a large Indiana golf complex. “We’ve got to offer more forms of golf for people to try. We have to do something to get them into the fold and then maybe they’ll have this idea it’s supposed to be fun.”

====

Right, so you just finished completely caving in to the USGA demands on anchored putting...but now holy crap, wait a minute, we dont want to scare people off by telling them there is only one way to play. There are lots of ways to play! Golf is supposed to be fun! Unless you are one of the millions of people that used an anchored putter because if so, then no fun for you!

What a joke.

And no, I dont think this will have any major impact on pace of play. The guy who hits an 80 yard banana slice off the tee and spends five minutes looking for it in the woods is still going to be in the woods. He's still going to realize that golf is a hard sport from tee to green.

Maybe Mark King should consider whether or not people are quitting the game because its too damn expensive for people to play. Maybe not everyone can afford a $500 driver every six months. If he was serious about growing the game for new players, why not put out an at-cost beginner set. Put together a real honest to god set of good beginner clubs and sell them for at or very near cost. Oh, you cant do that? But hey, TM/AG revenues soared enough that he got a promotion.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

I would try it, for kicks if nothing else, but wouldn't play those holes regularly if they were on greens with the regulation holes. I have always wanted to try 8" holes, I think it would still be a challenge and resemble golf, while being a little easier and more exciting on the greens.

Ping G430 LST 10.5°, Chrome 2.0 65 S
Ping G430 MAX 15° Rogue White 130 80 S
Ping G425 MAX 17.5° Rogue White 130 80 S
Ping G425 22° Tensei CK Pro Orange 80 S
Ping i210 5-W Recoil Dart 105 S +½" SStep x1
Ping Glide 4.0 50, 54

Ping ChipR

2022 Scotty Cameron X5 35"
TM TP5X

There's a par 3 course near me that has big holes (coffee can size, maybe 10 inches).

I love it when I see a hole in one made there listed in the newspaper!

GiantGolfHole_v01h_LayeredFinal_withCurve.jpg

Have you played said course and did you score better than usual?

Patrick

Taylormade R1 10°
Taylormade RBZ 15°
Titleist TSI3 20°

Ping S55 3-P
Vokey SM9 52° 58°

Bettinardi Studio Stock 9