2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Who would try a 15 in. cup?

pkwilli1999

I'd try it, but I'd refer to it as Goofy Golf or Gimme Golf. Not "golf".

Golf is one of those things in life that shouldn't be diluted or dumbed-down. It's not a game, it's a journey. We live in a society that values inclusion to the lowest common denominator above all else. There's a REASON why only 10% of Americans golf...because those 10% of Americans hold true to the belief that some things in life shouldn't come easy and that success requires hard work and dedication. The captivation of golf is that it IS frustrating as hell, but the glimpses of success make it all the more satisfying. If you take away the sand from the oyster, you lose the pearl.

You know what the coolest thing is? I'm trying to hit the same ball into the same hole on the same grass as some guy who's been doing it his whole life and makes millions doing so. If golf adopts 15" cups, the captivation and awe of the sport, as well as the character and dedication required to master it, will slowly be bred out forever.

If people are looking for an easier game, stick to putt-putt.

Nike Vapor Fly Pro
Cobra BiO Cell 3W, 3H
Nike Vapor Pro Combo 4-AW
Callaway MD2 T-grind 54.11, 58.9
Scotty Select Newport 2, SS Fatso 5.0

While it seems impossible, for most, to take the driving range practice to the course, Putt-Putt is pure fun and, to your own surprise, you actually take that spectrum of practice to the course's Putting Green.

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: Srixon XV 
CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)

I'd love to try it. Even i'll be able to make 5 footers with that big a hole once in awhile.

Also I'd love to see the hole cutter tool they would need to use for those holes!

Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

[quote name='Go_Time' timestamp='1398376079' post='9163661']
You want 15 inch holes for newbies? Build more short par 3 courses and use both regulation and 15 inchers.
[/quote]

LOVE that idea. I agree that the difficulty, price, and time are major factors in people not golfing, and almost all of them have to do with lazy course designers who make "championship" type courses, which 1) make them difficult, 2) cost more because they're costly to maintain 120 bunkers, 12 water hazards and an island green, and 3) take longer to play because they're so difficult (PETE DYE, I'M TALKING TO YOU).

This ain't rocket science.

[quote name='Fairway Robbery' timestamp='1398431374' post='9167773']

Golf is one of those things in life that shouldn't be diluted or dumbed-down. It's not a game, it's a journey. We live in a society that values inclusion to the lowest common denominator above all else. There's a REASON why only 10% of Americans golf...because those 10% of Americans hold true to the belief that some things in life shouldn't come easy and that success requires hard work and dedication. The captivation of golf is that it IS frustrating as hell, but the glimpses of success make it all the more satisfying. If you take away the sand from the oyster, you lose the pearl.

You know what the coolest thing is? I'm trying to hit the same ball into the same hole on the same grass as some guy who's been doing it his whole life and makes millions doing so. If golf adopts 15" cups, the captivation and awe of the sport, as well as the character and dedication required to master it, will slowly be bred out forever.

[/quote]

I like what you're saying except the same thing could be said to teeing it forward or even having more then one set of tees at all... In the beginning, there was only one teeing ground on each hole.

[quote name='isaacbm' timestamp='1398453969' post='9170589']
[quote name='Fairway Robbery' timestamp='1398431374' post='9167773']

[/quote]

I like what you're saying except the same thing could be said to teeing it forward or even having more then one set of tees at all... In the beginning, there was only one teeing ground on each hole.
[/quote]

I get your point, but teeing forward does nothing for the fundamental difficulty of the game. Reduction in distance vs diameter of the cup is apples and oranges in my opinion. Moving the tees up doesn't make hitting a driver/wood any easier. It may allow a player to use more higher-lofted clubs, but the player still must hit those clubs well! Putting into a hole the size of a dinner plate takes a lot of short-game skill out of the equation. You could legitimately putt with your driver between your legs from across the green and have a substantial chance of success with a 15in cup.

Nike Vapor Fly Pro
Cobra BiO Cell 3W, 3H
Nike Vapor Pro Combo 4-AW
Callaway MD2 T-grind 54.11, 58.9
Scotty Select Newport 2, SS Fatso 5.0

...ridiculous idea!!

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

If we want to help newbies, have a "beginner tee." Make it shorter than the women's tee even but don't call it women's so beginner men won't feel emasculated using it. I know I said it before, but putting isn't what scares people away. In fact, its the only part of the game that beginners feel comfortable doing. I am not saying putting is easy. We all know it can be the most challenging part of the game IF you are trying to shoot low scores. To a beginner, hitting the ball more than 100 yards seems like something superhuman but go to any mini golf course and you'll see a 5 year old that can drain a 20 footer.

15in cups are a great solution to the wrong problem.

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1397755276' post='9112687']
[quote name='hankmoody' timestamp='1397753243' post='9112461']
I understand why King is proposing this stuff, so that he can "grow the game" and sell more clubs. Fine.

But why should I care about growing the game? Golf's not going away anytime soon. Hell, if anything, if you eliminated 1/2 of the golfers out there it would be better for me and a lot of guys on here. Sure some courses might close and some planned developments might go under. But overcrowding and long rounds being a thing of the past? I personally would value that more than growth.

Golf is not for everyone, never has been. I guess it makes me a golf elitist, or even a golf a****** lol, i guess I am.

That said, I am for things that make the game more fun, and easier, within reason. Transparent sales driven behavior dressed up as altruism? That's what this sounds like to me.
[/quote]

I agree 100%, but especially "golf is not for everyone". Also, I have no problems paying a bit more in green fee's to offset the loss of people and improve pace of play.

Making the cup 15" or such, is ludicrous though. Besides, hackers will struggle with that too, then want it even bigger. I am however, all for someone investing their money in a separate golf course setup with cups as large as they want and what ever else. I can say without a doubt, a number of colleagues that are dedicated golfers would no longer hold company tournaments at such a facility, that includes me.
[/quote]

Will you teach us if we are hacks?

[quote name='Poor%20Posture' timestamp='1398825007' post='9200797']
It was probably said, but the hole size is going to do little to improve access. Putting for a new player is the least intimidating part of getting around a golf course.

Fact is, it's tough to hit a damn ball well with an iron and driver, and it always will be.
[/quote]

Maybe they could make polara golf balls legal for anyone above a 15 handicap?

Saw a feature on a course where all the greens have two holes, one regulation size and one larger size. This could be a cool idea, and would definitely speed up pace of play (everyone has waited for someone trying to hole out for a quad before). Interested to see if this actually catches on. For me, it's a gimmick but to each their own.

I would at least try it. I'd probably enjoy it. But I'd feel dirty and cheap the next morning. Wait, are we taking golf holes or ...nevermind.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

I see 100% value of big cups when it comes to dad spending time with children, and I'd financially support it too. But, outside of that, is it safe to say those golfers simply in favor, struggle with the game and rules as they are?

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

My home course has been toying with the idea of using the 15 inch cup but dont know where to find them. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

Callaway Epic Speed - Diamana BF 60TX
Callaway Epic Speed 16.5FW - Diamana BF 70TX
Callaway XForged '18 UT 21* - PX 6.5
Callaway XForged '18 4i 5i 6i - PX 6.5
Callaway Apex MB '18 7i 8i 9i PW - PX 6.5
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Raw 52S* PX 6.0 - 56C* PX 6.0 - 60X* PX 6.0
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 34"
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='ckwL' timestamp='1398932244' post='9209525']
My home course has been toying with the idea of using the 15 inch cup but dont know where to find them. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.
[/quote]
Hey can you open some space on your inbox? Im trying to send you a message about the wtb ad but it says youre full.

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

• 1 month later...

OK sorry to Necro this post, but didnt want to start something new.......

Just saw the Justin Rose/Sergio bit on Golf Channel. That 15inch cup is kinda nuts...... Thats like night and day.... Dont know if I would actually enjoy golf to that extent.... A little over kill in my book.

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

I'll try it, should be good fun with those big cups. But I wouldn't want to do it more often then say a couple of times a year :)

[quote name='cliche' timestamp='1402994451' post='9512619']
does anyone have an idea where i could buy some of those cups?
[/quote]They're the size of the cups they use in the winter in Europe. Hope that helps :)

Some old clubs in one of the many bags. Just slapping some balls around trying to have fun.

I posted this on another thread but i really don't get the hate to the big cups. Just moving the tees up doe not make golf easier. You can move them up 100 yds and most kids are still going to be hitting a fairway wood into a par 4. I like the idea of two holes on each green to appease the "purists". At this point anything that can speed up the game and make it more fun for kids is fine by me. I am also willing to bet that a lot of those hating on the bug cups would be even that much more frustrated after playing a round with them because they didn't make 16 birdies and 2 eagles

Callaway Rougue ST LS Triple Diamond Tensei Raw First responders TX

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15 degree Ventus TR

Cobra RADSpeed Tour 19 Motore X F1

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Hazard Smoke
New Level 902 PD 5-A Project X Catalyst 6.5 SS2

New Level SPN Milled 53 
Cleveland Tour Rack RTX Zipcore 58 DG GRIND
SWAG Savage AF Raw LA Golf SOHO

Most course are designed around someone who drives it around 250 i would say(defiantly not golfwrx guys we all hit 5 irons that far) yet most kids learning the game hit maybe half that far. How much closer is the shortest set of tees at a normal golf course? Maybe 40 yds? Im not saying this is the end all be all solution but its a great start. You can take ANY golf course and make it more enjoyable and faster for 90% of the people who play it. I hate tell you this guys but the purists can not grow the game, there simply aren't enough. Only a small percentage of kids are going to have the drive to stick with a game that just isn't much fun for the first few years. We don't need more professional golfers to keep the companies around long enough to develop the I45 or 722 AP2. We need recreational golfers that can get around the golf course in under 6 hours.(which the bigs cups would help as well by the way)

Callaway Rougue ST LS Triple Diamond Tensei Raw First responders TX

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15 degree Ventus TR

Cobra RADSpeed Tour 19 Motore X F1

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Hazard Smoke
New Level 902 PD 5-A Project X Catalyst 6.5 SS2

New Level SPN Milled 53 
Cleveland Tour Rack RTX Zipcore 58 DG GRIND
SWAG Savage AF Raw LA Golf SOHO

Putting practice gadget makers will go out of business, China will crumble...........!

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1397751957' post='9112301']
I agree with TeeJay... its a dumb idea, least for actual 'golfers'. Add it onto clown and windmill golf and they might have something.
[/quote]

Putt-Putts want sponsors and Snoopy.