Manual de la Torre Method

upanddown

1 minute ago, rwc356 said:

I've used the MDLT swing concepts with hickories, vintage and modern clubs - haven't noticed any need to make changes to the clubs. Don't recall MDLT making any comments about the need to adjust clubs to utilize his swing concepts in his book or videos.

Good point, and it certainly seems to make sense if you've always swung this way that changes likely aren't necessary, but maybe I should clarify....

Has anyone transitioned to MDLT swing concepts after swinging a more rotary swing (think slicefixer swing) and noticed it changed your interaction with the turf? I can imagine this could be the case and that your clubs, assuming your fit was based on an entirely different swing and set-up, may not fit your "new" MDLT swing? Maybe I'm overthinking it?

I realize an easy test is to get fitted and see if there are different results, but I'm not at that point yet. Just thinking downstream.

2 hours ago, juststeve said:

I've only played what Manny taught me and my clubs are plain vanilla.  That ought to answer the question of whether special specs are needed to go his way.

Steve

Thanks, Steve. I've really appreciated all of your contributions as I've read these MDLT threads and have made the transition.

On 8/31/2021 at 8:42 AM, Ajgaguy83 said:

I’ve got an odd question:

For those of you who have adopted MDLT teachings, did you find it altered the fit of your clubs (I.e. more upright, more flat, etc.)?

Steve answered but I like irons with less bounce . Went from Callaway Mavriks to Mizuno Hot Metals and my GIRs went up. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

5 hours ago, k4y said:

According to Freebird golf, you should have the clubhead outside of your hands on the backswing, and behind your hands on the downswing - does anybody else actively try to do this?

Not in the book. It’s swing the club head. Hands start backswing and arms on downswing. Toe will be up halfway back. 

• Like 2

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
               6-7 Big Bertha 

On 8/17/2021 at 2:58 PM, Bob M said:

Very interesting thread! Over the past few days I started reading MDLT's book and, based on what I have read so far in the book and in this thread, find similarities to Monte's No Turn, Cast method. 

Am I off base here, or are they in fact complementary approaches?

I actually think they’re very different. NTC seems to be a pivot based swing. Yes you move your arms to get the body to turn but the casting move behind you is done in conjunction with a pivot and rotating through the ball. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

In Monte's NTC swing, the pivot reacts to upper body intents and feels.  In NTC, the only lower body move with intent is a pressure shift.

@juststeve has stated MDLT would likely approve of Monte's teachings, so to that end they would be complementary.  I would call that "high praise."  But, again, MDLT should really stand alone.

7 hours ago, games said:

In Monte's NTC swing, the pivot reacts to upper body intents and feels.  In NTC, the only lower body move with intent is a pressure shift.

@juststeve has stated MDLT would likely approve of Monte's teachings, so to that end they would be complementary.  I would call that "high praise."  But, again, MDLT should really stand alone.

I'm basing my opinion on the fact that one of the critical drills in NTC involves taking the club back, putting it in the Cast A position, and delivering the club to the ball by rotating the body.  

And I guess it could be  "complementary."  but IMO anything that takes your mind from throwing the club over one shoulder then to the next may lead to more confusion.

That's why it's a shame MDLT is no longer around.  A comprehensive video series or YouTube channel would go a long way in helping more people understand his method after his death.

• Confused 1

Important: never ask anyone for advice when using the mdlt method if they are not familiar with his teaching. Had a very bad day Wednesday with my driver popped up on almost ever tee shot. A golfer who is decent said turn my shoulders more. That was part of my problem already. That plus my grip was causing my wrists to lock up.

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
               6-7 Big Bertha 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2021 at 8:24 AM, The Pearl said:

I took 3 lessons with Manny over a 3 day period, several years ago.

There is no secret.   He never imparted any idea or concept that was not in the book.  

John Hayes's book is an excellent compliment for those interested in Manny's teachings.  John, like many of Manny's disciples, spent hours watching Manny teach.

http://www.learninggolfwithmanuel.com/

As JustSteve has often reminded us, the BIGGEST roadblock to adopting Manny's method is over analyzing and adding "things".  When he teaches, he uses the same "words" that he does in the book.  EVERY word he says has a purpose.  He is very specific with language in the book and on the lesson tee. 

John Hayes is spot on Manny, I had 2 video lessons with him, highly recommended.

• Like 1

While I haven't been able to do Manny's swing exactly, I have learned a great deal by looking at his videos, especially the takeaway. It convinced me I had way too much tension in my wrists. My main limitation for doing Manny's swing is using both hands to get the club over the right shoulder, for some reason it hurts my back. I do have lower back problems that's probably the cause. I have a more dominant left hand takeaway with my hands farther forward than Manny recommended with the right hand only lightly pushing against the shaft. 

• Like 1

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Does anyone have any advice or technique on how to implement swinging the club through the ball? What I mean, if we’re supposed to set the club three inches in front of the ball and continue, how does one accomplish this? I realize doing so takes the hit out of the swing, accelerates through the ball, etc. but it’s a hard change of thought, action, feel, etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

On 10/20/2021 at 2:19 PM, Ajgaguy83 said:

Hi All,

Does anyone have any advice or technique on how to implement swinging the club through the ball? What I mean, if we’re supposed to set the club three inches in front of the ball and continue, how does one accomplish this? I realize doing so takes the hit out of the swing, accelerates through the ball, etc. but it’s a hard change of thought, action, feel, etc.

Two tips that I have heard to try to remove "ball focus" are

1) Put a styrofoam cup over the ball, then swing

2) Practice clipping tees out of the ground while swinging the club towards the target, then start randomly placing a ball on the tee and reproduce the same feel

On 10/20/2021 at 2:19 PM, Ajgaguy83 said:

Hi All,

I'm not a teaching pro just another student of the golf swing on his own journey to improve and I have to give a lot of credit to Manny. I remember trying to help a fellow golfer many years ago who practically stopped his swing right after impact. We tried various things but it was apparent he had this ingrained to the point that something drastically different would have to be done. Nonetheless, I didn't see him anymore at the range we practiced.

My advice assuming you are having a similar issue is to go hit softballs in a batting cage. Not only will you have to use a different technique you will also have to learn to use the lower body effectively. If you can get to the point that the pressure in your feet tells you when to stat the downswing then this might take focus of the hands and the arms and free them up. I have been at best a single digit hc but hit the ball quite far mainly by focusing on pushing off my right leg. I started hitting softballs is a cage as well.

Another drill would be to hit balls with only one hand at a time and practice throwing an old golf club with just the right hand side arm like in the golf swing, this will also get the lower body involved. Good luck.

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, erikro said:

Bumping a great thread. Any new experiences?

I've been encouraging my wife to try the principles instead of doing her constant self diagnosis during a round off of the checklist that she has paid the local pro $$ for -- did I keep my head down -- did I keep my arm straight -- did I shift my weight?  I think her resistance has been because she knows that the pro is right because, well after all, she is a golf pro.

Last week she came in after a round to say that it was the best of her life with a couple of personal best drives, and said the key was trying to forget all that other stuff and just focus on swinging the club towards the target.  I think MDLT has a new disciple!

37 minutes ago, tm3 said:

I've been encouraging my wife to try the principles instead of doing her constant self diagnosis during a round off of the checklist that she has paid the local pro $$ for -- did I keep my head down -- did I keep my arm straight -- did I shift my weight?  I think her resistance has been because she knows that the pro is right because, well after all, she is a golf pro.

Last week she came in after a round to say that it was the best of her life with a couple of personal best drives, and said the key was trying to forget all that other stuff and just focus on swinging the club towards the target.  I think MDLT has a new disciple!

Awesome story.  Hope she sticks with it

• Like 1

I have been getting progressively worse while chasing the “modern swing”, trying to pivot harder, knock over the chair etc, with a strong grip. Read some of the content here and showed up to the course yesterday with a neutral grip and hands back / arms through swing thought and went from 98 to 82 on consecutive days. Long story short I haven’t had that much fun playing in months and I’m done chasing swing positions. Anyone have recommendations for instructors in the Scottsdale area that might have compatible teaching styles? I think I saw Malaska mentioned but he’s booked out months

• Like 2

Been plugging away using the MDLT method with some mixed results but had the light bulb go off yesterday while warming up.

SWING THE WHOLE CLUB AT THE TARGET USING THE ARMS.

It was like magic, effortless power. Shot -4 on the front, 2 birds and an eagle. 

Had a long wait at the turn and back stiffened up. I have a pars fracture at L5 ,feels like an ice pick in my back.

Fought back spasms the whole back 9 but still shot 37 , for a 69 1 over my age (Par 71 course).

Super excited to get back out there and see if I can re-capture that feeling.

I wish I tried this 30 years ago.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I am joining the Manny team for good. I see that most of his concepts are what I am gravitating to.

Probably the biggest thing I learned about the golf swing was how freely the wrists should move, and I give 100% credit to Manny for that.

• Like 1

Notes:

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/23/2022 at 10:36 AM, chipa said:

I am joining the Manny team for good. I see that most of his concepts are what I am gravitating to.

Probably the biggest thing I learned about the golf swing was how freely the wrists should move, and I give 100% credit to Manny for that.

Any updates on progress / journey using MDLT principles?

• 2 weeks later...