2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

other than SLDR, what other low spin drivers

longbal30

[quote name='broth518' timestamp='1399905362' post='9278799'][quote name='K214' timestamp='1399778579' post='9271599']

[/quote]

Did he get fix on a trackman? What is his angle to the ground? As just talking about it doesn't help and can't really explaning anything.[/quote]

Sorry bud, I don't think I understand what you are trying to say or ask.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='BigHook25' timestamp='1399947243' post='9283593']
Like others mentioned, get fit. But a few low spin drivers to try are bio cell+ and bio cell. Also, Ping I25 and Nike Covert Tour 2.0.
[/quote]

I'm a part time fitter, I understand how to get fitted. But, I need a starting point. I know most of the lower spin heads, but the Sldr has been touted as the low spin king. I'm wondering if there is another head out there that is equal to it.

TITLEIST TS3 8.5 T1100
Callaway XR Pro 15* Fairway
Taylormade GAPR 2
Honma 737V 4-pw
Titleist SM6 52/58
Machine M20 Converter Aluminum Bronze
Scotty Newport Select

The bio cell pro is as low of spinning head as the sldr. The bio cell plus and i25 are good alternatives, they have lower spin in general than many other drivers but are a lot more forgiving than the bio cell pro and sldr. Or at least they are to me.

I am still playing my b'stone j40 as nothing is that much longer, and in the fairway as often.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

[quote name='longbal30' timestamp='1399840159' post='9274613']
Getting fit isn't a problem, I am a certified kbs fitter, just need to get some ideas where to start head wise. Once I get that nailed down, I can start with shafts
[/quote]

Have you hit the XTD ti? I am seeing some Serious roll out with it so far....

-9* Callaway Rogue Sub Zero(Even Flow Blue 65s)
-15* Callaway Rogue Sub Zero(Even Flow Blue 75s)
-17.5* TaylorMade R7 TP (Diamana Blue 83s)
-4-PW Mizuno JPX EZ Forged(Nippon 1150GH R)
-Ben Hogan TK15 49*(KBS Wedge)
-PING Anser 54* (DG Spinner)
-PING Gorge Tour 60* (Ping CFS)
-PING Pickemup B

I got very similar spin numbers with a Big Bertha Alpha with Adila Tour Green shaft compared to the SLDR with stock shaft. I didn't find the SLDR to be forgiving as other drivers out there. I really did not like anything about the SLDR. Don't buy into the hype! I got to hit them all on a simulator. I don't even think the SLDR is in the top 5. Definitely try the Cobra Bio Cell and PING I-25 too! The SLDR isn't the only low spinning bomber out there!

KING LTD PRO HZRDUS 6.5
Callaway GBB 3 wood 757 X flex
Tour Edge CB Pro U Kuro Kage 90 X
PING S55 3-PW TI DG X100 PURE'D
Titleist Vokey SM4 52 56 60 DG X100 PURE'D
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 34"

Your Covert Tour wasn't low spin enough? I found it to be the lowest launch and spin driver head I have ever tried.
What is your angle of attack?

The BB Alpha with GC in Low position is very low spin.
I hear the Cobra Bio Cell Pro is supposed to also be a spin killer.
i25 is also good, and way more forgiving than the i20 was.
X2 Hot Pro is also a contender.

Stealth 2 10.5˚ Ventus TR Red 6-S
Stealth 15˚ Ventus TR Blue 7-S
Stealth 19˚Hy Ventus Blue 8-S
SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW MMT 105
MG Hi-Toe 3 50˚, 54˚, 58˚ MMT 125
Evnroll ER2v Mid Slant
TP5 Pix
Bushnell Pro X3

[quote name='longbal30' timestamp='1399950606' post='9284029']
[quote name='BigHook25' timestamp='1399947243' post='9283593']
Like others mentioned, get fit. But a few low spin drivers to try are bio cell+ and bio cell. Also, Ping I25 and Nike Covert Tour 2.0.
[/quote]

I'm a part time fitter, I understand how to get fitted. But, I need a starting point. I know most of the lower spin heads, but the Sldr has been touted as the low spin king. I'm wondering if there is another head out there that is equal to it.
[/quote]

For my swing, I've seen just as low if not lower spin numbers with the bio cell+. I couldn't believe it at first, but it worked. Ping I25 and Nike Covert Tour 2.0 were slightly higher and just couldn't get them as low as the bio cell+.

I think the r1 is a great low spin head and you can get it for a good price now. Good luck!!

Ping G425 LST 9.5 AD-DI 6S
SIM TI 19* Ventus Blue 8X

Stealth 2 7 wood (more shafts need testing)
Srixon 585 4 Nippon Modus 3 120S
Srixon 745 5,6 Nippon Modus 3 120S

Srixon 785 7-PW Nippon Modus 3 120S
Titleist SM8 50,54,60 S200
TM Spider X Chalk

I realized I mentioned spin numbers with the XCG7 Beta, but didn't offer anything to provide perspective...

The day I hit the XCG7 Beta, I was also hitting my Covert Perf. 1.0 with 7m3 in the 3100-3300 rpm range. The Cleveland XL Custom in 9° was 2900-3000. Anser was lower than the Cleveland, but I remember it being slightly higher than the TE.

Over the winter, I've also hit a Covert Tour 1.0, and a SLDR 430. The CT 1.0 was around the same as I'd seen with the TE. The SLDR 430 was a bit lower than the TE, 2300-2600 rpm depending on various things (varying how much I was hitting up, etc) I was trying with it.

The XCG7 Beta isn't the lowest I've ever hit, but it's definitely above average in terms of spin reduction.

If anyone cares, my ball speed in these winter tests was in the upper 150s. If no one cares, my ball speed in these tests was still in the upper 150s.

[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1399903661' post='9278623']
Check into the Tour Edge XCG7 Beta. Adjustable, naturally open but able to square it in a reasonable loft with the adjustability, and pretty low spin. I can't judge roll right now, as we're having an extremely wet spring, but I'm getting some healthy results with mine. Trajectory is pretty low for the 10.5° setting I'm using.

By way of contrast, my 9° R11s was set one notch lower.

Stock 7m3.1 shaft seems fairly decent, as well. I wouldn't say it's as stout as the "real" 7m3, but it's been very solid.

When I hit this last December with my rusty, offseason, I've-not-touched-a-club-in-weeks swing, I was seeing spin in the 2500 rpm range, using the 10.5° loft setting, using a flex I felt was slightly soft for me. An interesting side effect of this club in this testing session is I didn't see much ball speed loss from contact on various not-so-great spots on the clubface.

In other words, apparently forgiving yet with low spin, in a sub-460cc size.

I HIGHLY recommend people check this club out.
[/quote]

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

[quote name='eddiebigeddie' timestamp='1399775276' post='9271233']
Bio Cell and Bio Cell Plus...look at all the threads about them. I switched from Sldr to both Cobras.
[/quote]

Agree

• Mizuno STZ 220 Driver
  • Mizuno STX 220 3w
  • Mizuno STX 220 Hybrid
  • Mizuno Pro 225/223 Irons 
  • Mizuno T22 Copper Wedges
  • Mizuno/Timeless Putters
  • Titleist Pro V1 Ball

• 2 weeks later...

When the fairway is firm I personally get ALOT more distance with slightly less carry and more roll. Higher trajectory looks nice but for raw distance a lower trajectory has worked much better for me. Why don't you try to lower your launch angle and see what happens. With 7 more mph in clubhead speed you should be well ahead of your buddy.

Ping G400 MAX 9 Kuro Kage Tini 60x

Titleist TSI2 18 Tensei White Stiff

Titleist 818 21 KBS PROTO Stiff
Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Senita 38 Putter

[quote name='skibmg' timestamp='1399827245' post='9273691']
Oldie but something I've found based on threads here is the Bridgestone J33r 460. Loving mine.
[/quote]

I was looking to see if this had been suggested. Mine is the 420 version with a Vista Pro Seventy in; low to mid all day long.....................and very cheap.

Mizuno ST-X 220 10.5 Aldila Ascent Stiff

Mizuno ST230 16*  UST LINQ

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #4 20* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #5 22.5* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno MP 5 5- PW TTDG 95 stiff

Mizuno T22 50 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno T22 56 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno M Craft OMOI #1

[quote name='Steelhead' timestamp='1399778387' post='9271589']
i25 is a wonderful alternative and is more forgiving by a country mile!!!!
[/quote]

I am leaning this way as well but I feel like I'll tee one up in three months and think "'why the heck did I buy a driver with lines on it?"

Really want to demo the Bio Cell Pro too...

Titleist 913D3 9.5* Oban Kiyoshi
TEE XCG3 16.5* Accra S2
Ping Anser 20* UST VTS
Ping I20 4, Ping s56 5-PW KBS
Ping TourS 52*, Scratch 8620 59*
Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2

Have you ever tried a counterweight? I have a 30g counterweight (Tour Lock) in my Fast 12 LS. The counter weight helps me to drop it into the slot from the top and just feels better to me. You mentioned the SLDR feeling like a sledgehammer. A counter weight would probably fix that. I now swear by counter weights in my driver and 3 wood (20g) and you may want to check it out. Other than that, the other driver suggestions here seem like a good start! You may also want to look into the AXE shafts. That should take some spin off whichever driver you choose.

sounds to me like you need a low mid flight shaft to get ball flight down to a lower trajectory for some roll out...That's were i like to see my ball flight....As a suggestion im using a matrix radix HD shaft in my 430 and it hits screaming bullets and rolls forever...

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

[quote name='longbal30' timestamp='1399811110' post='9272579']
On a side note, my swing coach has changed my swing quite dramatically. We are in the finishing stages of the change. This has been a 1 1/2 year commitment. A couple months ago my spin rates were ridiculous low. I was seeing sub 1000 spin with sldr and alpha. But after some more changes in my transition, spin has crept up into the 2000 range.
[/quote]

If you were spinning so low why not just up the loft on your old setup? That's what the whole loft up thing is about. The problem normally is, as you increase loft, spin goes with it, hence we all search for the head that can lower the spin because ideal launch angle requires a loft that creates more spin than is ideal for many of us. For me, the tour van acquired SLDR head with a whiteboard is the best head/shaft combo I've ever hit (105-110 SS and I have always struggled with high spin) BECAUSE it allows me to launch high with close to ideal spin.

But if you already had sub 1000 spin rates, why not just try the next loft up in whatever you were hitting? Unless your launch angle was crazy high (and hence you descending angle was also high), which doesn't seem likely at sub 1000 spin numbers. But what's odd is, if you really were sub 1000 spin rates the ball should roll out a significant distance (again, with some necessity on a reasonable angle of decent).

I think at your swing speed you just need to forget brand loyalties and suggestions and go to to a fitter who will hand you heads and shafts based on what the monitor is showing. I know when I'm doing fittings for myself I tell them not to tell me the brands and models they hand me. Of course, I'm a golf nut so I recognize many from their looks, but you get the idea. I have no preconceived notions because trackman doesn't care what something sounded like, or felt like, and it doesn't lie.

Just let the numbers guide you to the right choice!

[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1400028224' post='9290127']I realized I mentioned spin numbers with the XCG7 Beta, but didn't offer anything to provide perspective...

The day I hit the XCG7 Beta, I was also hitting my Covert Perf. 1.0 with 7m3 in the 3100-3300 rpm range. The Cleveland XL Custom in 9° was 2900-3000. Anser was lower than the Cleveland, but I remember it being slightly higher than the TE.

Over the winter, I've also hit a Covert Tour 1.0, and a SLDR 430. The CT 1.0 was around the same as I'd seen with the TE. The SLDR 430 was a bit lower than the TE, 2300-2600 rpm depending on various things (varying how much I was hitting up, etc) I was trying with it.

The XCG7 Beta isn't the lowest I've ever hit, but it's definitely above average in terms of spin reduction.

If anyone cares, my ball speed in these winter tests was in the upper 150s. If no one cares, my ball speed in these tests was still in the upper 150s.

[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1399903661' post='9278623']
Check into the Tour Edge XCG7 Beta. Adjustable, naturally open but able to square it in a reasonable loft with the adjustability, and pretty low spin. I can't judge roll right now, as we're having an extremely wet spring, but I'm getting some healthy results with mine. Trajectory is pretty low for the 10.5° setting I'm using.

By way of contrast, my 9° R11s was set one notch lower.

Stock 7m3.1 shaft seems fairly decent, as well. I wouldn't say it's as stout as the "real" 7m3, but it's been very solid.

When I hit this last December with my rusty, offseason, I've-not-touched-a-club-in-weeks swing, I was seeing spin in the 2500 rpm range, using the 10.5° loft setting, using a flex I felt was slightly soft for me. An interesting side effect of this club in this testing session is I didn't see much ball speed loss from contact on various not-so-great spots on the clubface.

In other words, apparently forgiving yet with low spin, in a sub-460cc size.

I HIGHLY recommend people check this club out.
[/quote][/quote]

I'd second your post- I have the XCG7 Beta as well as a Bio Cell +. Spin numbers have been similar.

I do think the Bio Cell + is a bit more forgiving (especially towards the heel), but I prefer the sound, feel, and look of the XCG7.

If he's unhappy with the SLDR 430, he won't like the Anser. I've owned both.

A better question is when he hit his buddy's 430, did he make adjustments to fit his swing, or was he hitting it based on how it was set for his buddy?

I have the 430, and it took a couple of changes, eventually lowering the loft, to find the sweet spot.

But once you do, it is very, very long, and at address might be the best looking driver head ever!

WITB

Ping G430 Max 9.0 degree Diamana ZF 60 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 5 wood 18 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Mizuno Pro 243  4 - G Modus 120 Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM9  56-14F, 60-10S

Scotty Cameron Super Select Del Mar

Titleist Pro V1 / Pro V1X

[quote name='texcrom' timestamp='1401732350' post='9414985']
If he's unhappy with the SLDR 430, he won't like the Anser. I've owned both.

A better question is when he hit his buddy's 430, did he make adjustments to fit his swing, or was he hitting it based on how it was set for his buddy?

I have the 430, and it took a couple of changes, eventually lowering the loft, to find the sweet spot.

But once you do, it is very, very long, and at address might be the best looking driver head ever!
[/quote]

Sorry but I don't really understand your point! Your saying that because you didn't like a club the OP will also not like it?

Ping G430 Max 9* - Accra shaft

Ping G430 5 & 7 Woods Kai'li White

Ping iCrossover 3 Kai'li White

Ping i525 5-U Recoils

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

PXG Bat Attack

:smilie_ping: