Least Punishing Wilson Staff Blade

Ok guys I won't use the word forgiving, but which Wilson Staff blade model, especially from 1980 or so, is the least punishing to hit.FG51, FG-17, etc. I figure this has to be the place to ask.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

LOL, none of them.

Staffs are funny clubs - some people in this forum love them, and others talk about how hard they are to hit. Compared to many blades, they can be a bit of a challenge with the lack of offset, and traditionally smaller head design. However, like any club, the more you practice and play with it, the better it works for you. These are not "point and shoot" irons - they are precision tools that it takes some time and effort to get mastery of.

This being said, there are a number of guys around this forum (myself, oldschoolrocker, froth) who happily play FG-17s. They have a nice forging, are usually easier to source, and do have a sweet spot you can find on them. Plus you can move the ball if you so choose. Most seem to come with some variant of dynamic gold shaft though, so they tend to be a bit of a lower launching club.

Haven't played the FG-51s myself, but would imagine they play similar to the FG-17s.

If you can't find FG-17s, the slightly older (?) Wilson Staff Tour Blade looks to be an almost identical club. I also wouldn't stop your search at the 80's - some of the 70's Staff models look quite nice, like these '71 buttonbacks.

staff71hi.jpg

These at least look like you could hit them.....I had a set of '63 Turfriders that were near impossible to hit.

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

Well, you come to da right place. In my opinion, and I have played them all, the best Wilson blade is either the fg17, or the late 80s remake of the Staff Fluid Feel. The fg51 is a decent club in its own right, and I had them in the bag for a couple of years, but the larger head is not to my liking.
A world of difference between the 17 and 51 head design. There is also a fg53 which is a remake of the Wilson Gooseneck that is a channel back longer blade design that I find works well in soft turf conditions. A bit more rounder sole that doesn't dig.
Like Scott mentioned there are some real good deals on early Wilson's to be had.
I have also heard some great things about their club that was made exclusively for Edwin Watts. Sharp looking remake of the fg17 design with a few modern changes. A really sharp solid performing club.

I have some 1979 Tour Blades 2-PW, and a 1981 FG-17 1iron. I also have in a different bag, an FG-17 9 iron. To me, the Tour Blades are ever so slightly less punishing than the nearly identical FG-17. There are a couple of variables in my clubs, I am not that good and it is probably just my imagination. The Tour Blades do have a slightly different grind to the trailing edge of the sole.

The "Staff"s, that were the immediate predecessor to the tour blades also have an appealing look to me.

As a side note, I went to a Bridgestone ball fitting last year, and the rep hit my FG-17 1 iron. I don't know what level player he was, but the sound, trajectory, and just the way the ball came off the club was I LOT different from when I hit it!

Drivers: Titleist 915D2 9.5* Aldila Rogue 60-3.8-S
Titleist TS2 Tensei AV55 S flex
Fairway: Callaway Rogue 15* Proj X Evenflow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21*
Irons: Titleist 718AP1 5-GW2
Wedges: Vokey SM6 , 56-10S, 60-08M
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 35"
Ball: Titleist AVX

The original FG17 had a very weak hosel to accommodate the parallel tip shafts Wilson used in them.

I broke 2-4-irons and a 5-iron hosel before I gave up.

Otherwise, nice blades.

BTW - I went back to my old '58 Fluid Feel, arrow in the heel, DynaPowered blades after the FG17 experiments.

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

It's funny how some irons work well for some and not at all for others. I've owned or tried a bunch of Wilson blades over the last couple of years and the ones that are still in my bag are the '63 Turfriders. R shaft, shorter than modern clubs, but nice and heavy with a small blade. I went through the Hogan phase , owned all the ones we all talk about, the Redlines were the best by far for me but sold those recently because they didn't have anywhere near the same feel as the old Wilsons. The original reason I picked the Turfriders was because I wanted a set the same age as me, looks like it was a good year! The best thing to do is cruise the local thrift shops and online buy/sell sites and pick up as many as you can, there's only one way to tell if they work for you, plus its fun hunting them down!

[quote name='RustyBlade' timestamp='1401982996' post='9435817']
[b]It's funny how some irons work well for some and not at all for others[/b]. I've owned or tried a bunch of Wilson blades over the last couple of years and the ones that are still in my bag are the '63 Turfriders. R shaft, shorter than modern clubs, but nice and heavy with a small blade.
[/quote]

Agreed. For me the Turfriders have the easiest to hit long ions that I've found.

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

[quote name='RustyBlade' timestamp='1401982996' post='9435817']
It's funny how some irons work well for some and not at all for others. I've owned or tried a bunch of Wilson blades over the last couple of years and the ones that are still in my bag are the '63 Turfriders. R shaft, shorter than modern clubs, but nice and heavy with a small blade. I went through the Hogan phase , owned all the ones we all talk about, the Redlines were the best by far for me but sold those recently because they didn't have anywhere near the same feel as the old Wilsons. The original reason I picked the Turfriders was because I wanted a set the same age as me, looks like it was a good year! The best thing to do is cruise the local thrift shops and online buy/sell sites and pick up as many as you can, there's only one way to tell if they work for you, plus its fun hunting them down!
[/quote]

Putting together a set the same as your age is a cool idea. Anyone able to tell me what a Staff model from 1966 is?

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

That's a great post, and a very true observation.

Even though my Turfriders had the black band (R flex), they felt like they were XXStiff. Something about the bore through hosel made the club feel like a piece of rebar to me, and I could not feel the shaft load or kick during my swing. Unfortunately, that is a fatal flaw in a club for me, and was the same reason I traded my Apex II with an Apex 4 shaft off for a set of radials with an Apex 3 shaft.

Randy always highlights the value of having the right shaft in a club, and this is completely true. If the shaft doesn't fit your tempo, or meet what you expect to "feel" during a golf shot, even the greatest forged head won't work for you.

Same with the FG-17 - I've liked mine from day 1, and although I find them a touch on the heavy side, this is great in slowing down my tempo. Something about the shaft in these obviously suits me and my swing/transition.

Just for reference, my SS is now down between 85-90, and I am a low spin sweeper/picker who typically hits a draw with his irons. Although I try to have a good tempo, I do have a fairly quick transition as I usually stop my hands at about 9 o'clock, and accelerate the clubhead down.

So Bad9, maybe the secret here is to focus less on the heads you like, and more on finding the set with the right shaft in it. This may be heresy, but a blade is a blade, and none are super forgiving when you hit them.

Hey look, already found you a set of 66 Dynapowers:

m0Rq0Bb7lgvxNSj94BpMbWw.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-Wilson-Staff-Dynapower-2-pw-matched-Fluid-Feel-blades-/291162358588?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item43caa1033c

$77 Buy it now for a matched set 2-W? Sold!

Nice looking clubs too. As Trembolo would say, the "meat" is a little lower on the back - this is something I typically find makes an iron more playable for me.

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

Thanks Scooter. The shaft is not an issue as I can always reshaft. I'll check the Ebay link later today when I get home, Ebay is blocked at work which is probably a good thing.

I love the year of birth idea. For 1970, I could choose from:

- Hogan One Plus Bounce Soles
- Staff Dynapower Fluid Feels (Buttonbacks, yay!)
- Spalding Bird on Ball Top Flites
- MacGregor (sorry, not familiar with their offerings)

Guess I need to sell those Hogan Apex Edges PDQ!

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

[quote name='Bad9' timestamp='1401986189' post='9436217']
Thanks Scooter. The shaft is not an issue as I can always reshaft. I'll check the Ebay link later today when I get home, Ebay is blocked at work which is probably a good thing.
[/quote]

But GolfWRX isn't blocked. LOL.

Yet.

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

[quote name='dbuck47' timestamp='1401980377' post='9435509']
I have some 1979 Tour Blades 2-PW, and a 1981 FG-17 1iron. I also have in a different bag, an FG-17 9 iron. To me, the Tour Blades are ever so slightly less punishing than the nearly identical FG-17. There are a couple of variables in my clubs, I am not that good and it is probably just my imagination. The Tour Blades do have a slightly different grind to the trailing edge of the sole.

The "Staff"s, that were the immediate predecessor to the tour blades also have an appealing look to me.

As a side note, I went to a Bridgestone ball fitting last year, and the rep hit my FG-17 1 iron. I don't know what level player he was, but the sound, trajectory, and just the way the ball came off the club was I LOT different from when I hit it!
[/quote]

I have a few sets of both the 79s and the fg-17s. I've found the 79s to be more forgiving than the fg-17s but they're both pretty playable. I also have a set of the 76 Staffs in poor condition and a partial set in good condition. I think they might be a touch more forgiving than both of the other sets but I've only hit them at the range. Unfortunately these are the only Wilson blades I have any experience with but I'm always watching craigslist.

My collection of staffs only runs to the fg17's, a mid 70's model (forgot the name) and the fg51's.
The 51's are the easiest/nicest to play for me. Perhaps being the most modern this is not surprising.
The size of the short iron heads is the more modern bigger size although the long irons still have that fishknife look.
A bit of offset too. I find them great feeling and very rewarding to play although all the blades in my collection only get a look in here and there. If I am wanting to score my best in my club comps I play a modern cb.
If I had to use a blade for my day to day gamers however they would be on the short list.

Nothing really wrong with Staffs but I really could not hit them. I have a set of around 79 or so Tour Blades but they are not marked as FG17s. your posts have brought me to a perplexing situation. I have that set but I cant for the life of me recall when I got them. I do remember I got a set of 17s new in 78 or 79 and they were FGs because I custom ordered them because I still have the JP sand wedge. This set is not 17s. I do remember I had that set for sale back 8 or 10 years ago at a friends consignment shop. I had forgot about them and she called me to come get them because she was closing up shop. I had completely forgot about them. I am just wondering if I accidently got swapped out. Yep this Wilson talk got me to thinking and I dug them out. They are in good shape and if one of you Wilson guys want to trade for them or just want them let me know. They are not doing me any good and I need to get rid of some stuff and maybe some of you can enjoy them. i hope the last statement did not violate any rules or such for the forum

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

[quote name='Bad9' timestamp='1401971313' post='9434535']
Ok guys I won't use the word forgiving, but which Wilson Staff blade model, especially from 1980 or so, is the least punishing to hit.FG51, FG-17, etc. I figure this has to be the place to ask.
[/quote]

IMO the 1984 Fluid Feel Tour Blades, which were basically a remake of the 1967 Dynapowers, are the easiest to hit of all the Wilson Staffs. They have a wider sole than the FG17 or the 1986 Fluid Feel Staffs.

I would definitely be in the group of those who love Wilson Staffs, especially from 1967-1990.

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

[quote name='Shallowface' timestamp='1402099549' post='9445833']
[quote name='Bad9' timestamp='1401971313' post='9434535']
[/quote]

IMO the 1984 Fluid Feel Tour Blades, which were basically a remake of the 1967 Dynapowers, are the easiest to hit of all the Wilson Staffs. They have a wider sole than the FG17 or the 1986 Fluid Feel Staffs.

I would definitely be in the group of those who love Wilson Staffs, especially from 1967-1990.
[/quote]

Somewhat ironically, I didn't care for the 84 Staffs. I much preferred the FG17s to them.

Of course, I offloaded my 17s. /rolleyes

Have a set of 78 Staffs, 1-PW, but haven't played them. I hadn't been sure if they were all the same set, the 5 iron was longer than any of the others. A quick check showed the tip sections may be aligned such that they are all Dynamic S, so I might only need to regrip to play. And have them bent for a lie angle I could stand, as well; I generally play a 62° or 63° lie on my 5 iron, as I have short arms (relatively speaking).

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

• 1 month later...

Having only ever played the newer offerings (the Wilson FG59's) I feel I'm missing out a little on these older ones! My first set of clubs was a handmedown set of Walter Hagen ultras from Grandpa which must have been from the 50's........they were lovely to hit though!

May have to raid the attic and see what he's got in there, I know theres a whole load of persimmon drivers and some other irons! May get lucky with some Wilson blades as he gave me his old Wilson Tour Block woods

I'm surprised, I never thought the FG17s were that hard to hit.

Though, some have said they never thought the Apex PC all that hard to hit, and most seem to think it was the toughest.

Golf is a funny game.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I would have to agree with the Tour Blade/FG-17 camp. A really outstanding head in my opinion. Mine have PX6.0 Flighted shafts and I couldn't be happier with them.
As a close second I also love, love, LOVE my 71' buttonbacks with the original regular shafts. They actually have a fairly wide sole and although it looks flat its really got a little bit o' bounce on it. Very nice performer. Mmmmm... probably not the "least punishing Wilson" though... ☺

[quote name='Nuggets' timestamp='1407324438' post='9868767']
Having only ever played the newer offerings (the Wilson FG59's) I feel I'm missing out a little on these older ones! My first set of clubs was a handmedown set of Walter Hagen ultras from Grandpa which must have been from the 50's........they were lovely to hit though!

May have to raid the attic and see what he's got in there, I know theres a whole load of persimmon drivers and some other irons! May get lucky with some Wilson blades as he gave me his old Wilson Tour Block woods
[/quote]

I am jealous. I love treasure hunts.

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

[quote name='ScooterMcTavish' timestamp='1407412040' post='9877591']

[/quote]

[/quote]

haha well I know theres some minty fresh Mizuno persimmons in there and some Macgregors and definitely a few putters

[quote name='Nuggets' timestamp='1407412587' post='9877629']
[quote name='ScooterMcTavish' timestamp='1407412040' post='9877591']

[/quote]

[/quote]

haha well I know theres some minty fresh Mizuno persimmons in there and some Macgregors and definitely a few putters
[/quote]

Now you're just being cruel.

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA)