Least Punishing Wilson Staff Blade

[quote name='ScooterMcTavish' timestamp='1401975536' post='9434929']

These at least look like you could hit them.....I had a set of '63 [b]Turfriders [/b]that were near impossible to hit.
[/quote]

I lol'd when I read that. "Turfriders" llllolol.

What a great name.

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

I Love My Turfriders, that's a Turfrider wood in my avatar..

This is the most lovely set I've ever seen, durnit, I'm on a club buying moratorium, I KNOW better than to look at Fleabay, but:

[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-3-Wilson-Staff-DynaPower-Turfrider-Sole-Irons-2-PW-1-2-3-4-woods-RH-/271597487870"]http://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-3-Wilson-Staff-DynaPower-Turfrider-Sole-Irons-2-PW-1-2-3-4-woods-RH-/271597487870[/url]

And a wood for better pictures,

[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wilson-Aerflo-Turfrider-Rare-Refinished-Golf-Club-Wood-Brassie-w-Original-Grip-/350852938466"]http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wilson-Aerflo-Turfrider-Rare-Refinished-Golf-Club-Wood-Brassie-w-Original-Grip-/350852938466[/url]

Coome To The Daark Siiide, Joooe!

;)

KM

[quote name='Kathy Marie' timestamp='1410011682' post='10074731']
I Love My Turfriders, that's a Turfrider wood in my avatar..

This is the most lovely set I've ever seen, durnit, I'm on a club buying moratorium, I KNOW better than to look at Fleabay, but:

[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-3-Wilson-Staff-DynaPower-Turfrider-Sole-Irons-2-PW-1-2-3-4-woods-RH-/271597487870"]http://www.ebay.com/...H-/271597487870[/url]

And a wood for better pictures,

[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wilson-Aerflo-Turfrider-Rare-Refinished-Golf-Club-Wood-Brassie-w-Original-Grip-/350852938466"]http://www.ebay.com/...p-/350852938466[/url]

Coome To The Daark Siiide, Joooe!

;)

KM
[/quote]

Those headcovers are great.

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

• 2 months later...

[quote name='oldschoolrocker' timestamp='1417268409' post='10517091']Yes, the fluid feel remakes were outstanding. A shift back from the smoother contour lines Wilson started in the late '70s and early '80's. Funny, I never thought much about it before, but they really did a 180 on design. All depends on what suits your eye.[/quote]Really like those irons. Interesting / handy to know those late 80's Staff FF wedges are very similar to Hogan BH Grind wedges of a few years later. Zeitgeist...

GBB Epic, X2 Hot, Srixon Z545, Cleveland RTX 2.0, Bettinardi

[quote name='oldschoolrocker' timestamp='1401976749' post='9435063']
Well, you come to da right place. In my opinion, and I have played them all, the best Wilson blade is either the fg17, or the late 80s remake of the Staff Fluid Feel. The fg51 is a decent club in its own right, and I had them in the bag for a couple of years, but the larger head is not to my liking.
A world of difference between the 17 and 51 head design. There is also a fg53 which is a remake of the Wilson Gooseneck that is a channel back longer blade design that I find works well in soft turf conditions. A bit more rounder sole that doesn't dig.
Like Scott mentioned there are some real good deals on early Wilson's to be had.
[b]I have also heard some great things about their club that was made exclusively for Edwin Watts. Sharp looking remake of the fg17 design with a few modern changes. A really sharp solid performing club.[/b]
[/quote]

I don't belong in this forum and I'm not a blade player but I can add info as I did some research for a friend two years ago and he ended up buying this set new from Edwin Watts for $189 (with free shipping and including a $10-off coupon) 4 - 9, GW and PW. That price is not a typo; back then some enterprising fellow sold 12 sets on ebay between $289 and $349 and had Watts drop ship (free) to the winning bidders.

Conclusions first, we decided the clubs were an attempt to introduce blades to the average golfer - the heads were slightly larger than the random blades played by some friends and the shaft weight was only 105 grams (per the Watts website). Watts did not publish any other specs but they felt like a regular flex to me (80 mph s/s) and my friend (90mph s/s).

There are posts on golfwrx perhaps 4 years back describing their sweet forged feel and great price (back then $499 and eventually $399) (search for Wilson Staff Tour Blades). I'm guessing Watts was dumping excess stock because they sold out a few weeks after my friend pulled the trigger.

They are easy to hit, even with my swing speed... except for the 4 iron which looks like a razor blade on a stick and intimidates the hell out of me but my friend has no problems. Sets come up on ebay now and then and from my very limited experience with blades they are worth getting.

Honma Beres 10.5*
Jones/Ortiz 4 wood 17*
Adams Idea Black CB2 irons 26, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45*
Callaway MD3 S grind 52, 56, C grind 60, PM grind 64*
Tom Slighter Custom Needle 450g, 3* loft, 74* lie (2006)
Tom Slighter Needle 360g, 4* loft, 72* lie (2012, backup)

Thank you for the invitation. I'm looking forward to getting acquainted.

Honma Beres 10.5*
Jones/Ortiz 4 wood 17*
Adams Idea Black CB2 irons 26, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45*
Callaway MD3 S grind 52, 56, C grind 60, PM grind 64*
Tom Slighter Custom Needle 450g, 3* loft, 74* lie (2006)
Tom Slighter Needle 360g, 4* loft, 72* lie (2012, backup)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The sweetest staff for me were the fg49s, faldos last design and I think he won the 87 open with them. Anyway, they were a brilliant iron which I found a delight to hit and easier than the fg17s which my uncle used and still uses today. My only regret is selling these irons, but I went to mizuno for a change

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='stevemcgee99' timestamp='1424280504' post='10978591']
I'm not beating myself up just being frank to provide context. Really, I essentially started playing last year. I get can get 134 strokes. But I am sure I'll be breaking 100 this year and my plan is to par.
[/quote]

Good man. Here's some more context. You've got fellow golfers in this forum ranging from near beginners to around scratch, and I'll bet that every single one of us has been treated to the well-meaning (but IMO misplaced) advice that "those old clubs aren't doing you any good".

I hope that, once you appreciate that you'd be hearing the same old stuff even if you were shooting in the '70s, you won't let anyone pull rank on you just because you're new to the game.

Have fun! I love the Hogan PCs, and I'd love a set of '50s Dynapowers.

I have direct experience in my 'game improving' through using blades and persimmons. Nobody can I will be better at hitting the ball where I want it to go if I use clubs that mask the feedback.

They can argue that I could get 'better results' regardless of my skill, but I consider that cheating, more or less.

And I enjoy how it feels MUCH more. Par is just a target, the same as winning a game of pool was to me. But it was always a case of getting the best shot - pure, or funky and unexpected. One after the next.

Besides, I 'can't afford' new clubs lol. I'd rather get 8 more rounds of golf!

When I used to climb, I'd wear 'old' shoes. I did my hardest routes with those. I figured that before me there were people who could do MUCH more than I ever could using crappier gear, so it was not a case of the gear it was a matter of my skill.

[quote name='stevemcgee99' timestamp='1424455078' post='10992383']
I have direct experience in my 'game improving' through using blades and persimmons. Nobody can I will be better at hitting the ball where I want it to go if I use clubs that mask the feedback.

They can argue that I could get 'better results' regardless of my skill, but I consider that cheating, more or less.

And I enjoy how it feels MUCH more. Par is just a target, the same as winning a game of pool was to me. But it was always a case of getting the best shot - pure, or funky and unexpected. One after the next.

Besides, I 'can't afford' new clubs lol. I'd rather get 8 more rounds of golf!

When I used to climb, I'd wear 'old' shoes. I did my hardest routes with those. I figured that before me there were people who could do MUCH more than I ever could using crappier gear, so it was not a case of the gear it was a matter of my skill.
[/quote]
Well said! Many of us haven't the money (especially if you have kids) and a lot like finding a gem of an older set and using them......as older clubs are just as good as modern clubs in my eyes. It's the person who hits the ball! Good luck pal on the wonderful game of golf

• 2 weeks later...

Having played Staff from 1967, when I was introduced to the game by my Grandmother with a cut down Dyna Power 9i and I played them through 1986(the 17s) when I went to Mizzy, I'd say that Scooter and OldSchool nailed it with the Fluid Feels, Button Backs and really, any of the DynaPowers(or depending on the year/model, Dyna Power).

I went back to staff for my last 6 tourneys in '12 with the 59s, which replaced my Mizzy 68s.

As has also been said, most of those older blade didn't have a lot of meat on them, and though I loved the 17s and played them from their introduction in '81 thru '86, that's a blade, pure and simple.

You'll get a bit more muscle pad in the Dyna Powers(Fluid Feel) and the Button Backs.

I loved the Button Backs and I play a set(well I did play, lol) of '71s in an annual vintage tourney. They're sweet!!

The best best to You in your search :)

Fairways & Greens My Friend,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Interesting to read the thread, because I'm a Wilson lover and I've found the opposite of some others.... To me, the Fg17 is easier than the 51s, although I'm playing the 51s now and have for a while. To me the 17 has a little more meat to it lower in the muscle, which makes it a touch more forgiving. I mainly play the 51 instead because, well, I love the way they look. Plus the 51 hits the ball a little lower than the 17 to me, which helps in all the wind I play in.

I would agree that probably the easiest to hit is the 53/Gooseneck, although with its offset and larger head, it's the least "classic" of the Staffs.

Srixon Z785, Wilson Staff 13 3W, W/S FG51 3-PW, Ram Watson Troon 55, Ram Nick Price 62, Wilson 8813, Srixon XV

• 4 weeks later...

I'm new to this posting but lately have been really wanting to get some old wilson staff blades to add to my growing collection of clubs but I don't know which ones to get. Apart from playing a set of Ben Hogans Apex blades I am only familiar with modern blades of my era today but really want to get a true blade and I know wilson staff was one of the best back then. Plus I have such a love for that brand in the golf game because they were so iconic and continue to be a scrappy contender against the big companies today. Therefore I figured I would ask anyone on this thread seeing as you all have more experience with them. I've been looking at three different clubs which have all been mentioned: the tour blades, the fg 17s and the fg 51s. I tend to have a steeper swing and am curious which club would fit me better. I've been leaning more towards the tour blades or fg 17s because they have a more nostalgic look that appels to my eye. Which one of these clubs are more forgiving? Are there loft changes between them or are they the same? Mainly I'm more curious about the differences, if any, between the tour blades and the fg 17s but any feedback would be appreciated between these three sets or any others for that matter. Love the thread! Thank you!

With the Wilson Blades it is all going to depend on what you are looking for. The fg17's are considered the last of the Wilson vintage even though they were an early 80's design. Have played the older Staffs, the 17's, the 80's Staff remakes and the 51's. Most Wilson guys are in love with the 17's (great sticks.). The 51's are more modern, in shaft length, head size and lofts. My favorites from a playing prospective among all the Wilson's are the late 80's Fluid Feel remakes. All depends on what you are looking for. Thete has also been some buzz about the newer Wilson blades, especially the one made exclusively for Edwin Watts.
Late 70's Staffs and the 17's are more of a muscle back design than flat back.
Just my take, am sure more knowledgable guys on here will chime in.

[quote name='BigCountry87' timestamp='1428259193' post='11288765']
I'm new to this posting but lately have been really wanting to get some old wilson staff blades to add to my growing collection of clubs but I don't know which ones to get. Apart from playing a set of Ben Hogans Apex blades I am only familiar with modern blades of my era today but really want to get a true blade and I know wilson staff was one of the best back then. Plus I have such a love for that brand in the golf game because they were so iconic and continue to be a scrappy contender against the big companies today. Therefore I figured I would ask anyone on this thread seeing as you all have more experience with them. I've been looking at three different clubs which have all been mentioned: the tour blades, the fg 17s and the fg 51s. I tend to have a steeper swing and am curious which club would fit me better. I've been leaning more towards the tour blades or fg 17s because they have a more nostalgic look that appels to my eye. Which one of these clubs are more forgiving? Are there loft changes between them or are they the same? Mainly I'm more curious about the differences, if any, between the tour blades and the fg 17s but any feedback would be appreciated between these three sets or any others for that matter. Love the thread! Thank you!
[/quote]

Well, if you want to find out, I have a set of FG-17s that I regripped last year with the R shafts in them.

For the price of postage (likely in the $30 range), I'd be happy to box them up and send them to you.

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA)