Least Punishing Wilson Staff Blade

I picked up a set of FG-17's today for the tidy sum of $1.07, including the sales tax. That's right, a little over $1 for 2-PW and the heads look virtually unhit. The shafts had a few dots of surface rust on them and are probably too much for me being stiff, but the Golf Pride tour wraps cleaned up to be almost as new. I couldn't pass up such a beautiful set of irons for that price, even if I'll never be able to hit them. I've been reading everything I can about them and am pleased to find that they held in such high esteem. Wish I could find out more about my other set of Wilson irons. I also have a set, 3-SW, of the Turfriders from 1986-87 that looks like a full set of hybrids. I can't find ANY information about them ANYWHERE.

wannabe-

According to the Kaplan Compilation of the Wilson Catalogs...

The Wilson Turfriders are pictured on Page 1 of the 1986 Wilson Catalog. The information you seek is there.

I picked up a set of FG-17's today for the tidy sum of $1.07, including the sales tax. That's right, a little over $1 for 2-PW and the heads look virtually unhit. The shafts had a few dots of surface rust on them and are probably too much for me being stiff, but the Golf Pride tour wraps cleaned up to be almost as new. I couldn't pass up such a beautiful set of irons for that price, even if I'll never be able to hit them. I've been reading everything I can about them and am pleased to find that they held in such high esteem. Wish I could find out more about my other set of Wilson irons. I also have a set, 3-SW, of the Turfriders from 1986-87 that looks like a full set of hybrids. I can't find ANY information about them ANYWHERE.

wannabe-

The Wilson Turfriders are pictured on Page 1 of the 1986 Wilson Catalog. The information you seek is there.

Is there anywhere online to view that? Thank you for the information

Post 'da pics!

• Like 1

Post 'da pics!

As soon as I get the clean-up finished, I'll post some pics.

That's a fine looking set of FG-17's. They're such a soft forging that by now most sets are pretty chattered up, but yours look great. I hope you enjoy them. If not, they're easy to reshaft! ☺

I read somewhere that Wilson over-produced the FG-17 and dropped the MSRP on them to move the inventory, which essentially flooded the market at the time. Beautiful, inexpensive, tour-grade blade irons for everyone! Say what you will about Wilson, but in my eyes that was very hip thing to do.

• 6 months later...

LOL, B-S. If I was actually offloading inventory, I'd be happy. Sets seem to keep sneaking in when I'm not looking.

Beginning of season:

At lake - Maxfli Flatbacks, Wright & Ditsons

At home - Eye 2s, FG-17s,, TM-92s

Now:

At lake - Maxfli Flatbacks, Wright & Ditsons, MacGregor VFQ

At Home - Eye 2s, Hogan Plus One, Hogan Bounce Sole, Goosenecks (on way)

Not to mention the putters and drivers and wedges I own, though I do have a pile of about 20 clubs to still give away. I've tried to donate the Macs to the Mayor of Winnipeg (no response to a letter offering them, pretty rude IMHO), and the Bounce Soles will be getting donated or given to someone taking up vintage golf. Think the Maxflis may also be given away in the near future when the right person/situation manifests itself.

Sigh.....

Are these the Maxfli Flatbacks that you referred to? I've always wondered the background on these clubs. I was even around then and I just don't remember them. Do you know the official model name of the club and how they were offered? They look like a pro shop club but, who knows?

I played FG17 for years and then made the move to cavity backs. Was really hitting the ball well at the range with my modern cavity backs a few months ago.and saw an FG17 6iron in the club bin. Hit the FG17 great. A bit higher and shorter than my cavity back 7 iron. Then I picked up an VAS+ 6iron from the club bin. clank, clank, clank. Couldn't hit that worth a dime. So.... The FG17 might not be the most forgiving club out there but it's not the least, either. I purchased them used in the early 80s because they looked so good. I might pick up another set if the opportunity arises.

wannabe-

Is there anywhere online to view that? Thank you for the information

Wannabe-

No.

To my knowledge, the Kaplan Catalogs (H&B/PowerBilt, MacGregor, Wilson) have not been placed online.

That's a fine looking set of FG-17's. They're such a soft forging that by now most sets are pretty chattered up, but yours look great. I hope you enjoy them. If not, they're easy to reshaft! ☺

I read somewhere that Wilson over-produced the FG-17 and dropped the MSRP on them to move the inventory, which essentially flooded the market at the time. Beautiful, inexpensive, tour-grade blade irons for everyone! Say what you will about Wilson, but in my eyes that was very hip thing to do.

This must be true because, as anyone who's ever looked on eBay for FG-17's could tell you, there are millions of them out there. There are probably more FG-17s on eBay than any other club...seriously. It's like everyone had a set of them. Nice

LOL, B-S. If I was actually offloading inventory, I'd be happy. Sets seem to keep sneaking in when I'm not looking.

Beginning of season:

Now:

Not to mention the putters and drivers and wedges I own, though I do have a pile of about 20 clubs to still give away. I've tried to donate the Macs to the Mayor of Winnipeg (no response to a letter offering them, pretty rude IMHO), and the Bounce Soles will be getting donated or given to someone taking up vintage golf. Think the Maxflis may also be given away in the near future when the right person/situation manifests itself.

Sigh.....

Are these the Maxfli Flatbacks that you referred to? I've always wondered the background on these clubs. I was even around then and I just don't remember them. Do you know the official model name of the club and how they were offered? They look like a pro shop club but, who knows?

I remember those irons from the late 70s early 80s. My old man stumbled up on a deal on several sets of those and the Max Power ones too. I think he sold 4 or 5 sets of those. I do remember the Max Power ones had green ferules sorta like a slate green color on them. I never hit any of them that I can recall. If my memory serves me right the woods were laminate. My old man was a master at putting deals together because he knew so many people in the golf business. I think he sold those sets with a bag he got on another deal for less than $150 which was slightly cheaper than the Wilson sets he also sold. He was a Wilson Staffer at the time but had free reign to sell what ever equipment he wanted to in his shop. He put together deals and priced stuff so people could have quality equipment for a reasonable price. On a deal like that he maybe made $20 to $25 profit. I have also seen him finance clubs for some of the working class weekend guys with no interest. He did good but he was all about people enjoying and playing the game

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Beginning of season:

Now:

Sigh.....

I remember those irons from the late 70s early 80s. My old man stumbled up on a deal on several sets of those and the Max Power ones too. I think he sold 4 or 5 sets of those. I do remember the Max Power ones had green ferules sorta like a slate green color on them. I never hit any of them that I can recall. If my memory serves me right the woods were laminate. My old man was a master at putting deals together because he knew so many people in the golf business. I think he sold those sets with a bag he got on another deal for less than $150 which was slightly cheaper than the Wilson sets he also sold. He was a Wilson Staffer at the time but had free reign to sell what ever equipment he wanted to in his shop. He put together deals and priced stuff so people could have quality equipment for a reasonable price. On a deal like that he maybe made $20 to $25 profit. I have also seen him finance clubs for some of the working class weekend guys with no interest. He did good but he was all about people enjoying and playing the game

Stu, me boy....must have the urge to get another round in before it starts getting chillier down here!

Whatcha playin' today? (not where...what....but, you can say where if you want also)

Beginning of season:

Now:

Sigh.....

Stu, me boy....must have the urge to get another round in before it starts getting chillier down here!

Whatcha playin' today? (not where...what....but, you can say where if you want also)

Why don't you boys come up here? Leave now and we can play all this week. End of summer golf in Chicagoland is awesome!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

Beginning of season:

Now:

Sigh.....

Played yesterday at Indian Wells. Church and practice today Played the clubs in my signature yesterday. I have been playing those lately and have gotten back to shooting around par golf. Probably one of my last rounds at The Wells. I am more than likely leaving there after this year. Since the Founders group took over they have been pushing members aside and more into the tourist trade. All of the good staff have left. One of the staff members pissed me off bright and early this morning. I am always out at the crack of dawn on the range bench smoking a cigar drinking coffee watching the sun rise. The staffer informed me that I was not supposed to be there that the range was closed that the Polish Golf Association (no joke seriously) had the course rented and the range and all was closed even to members. I told him BS and went in on the GM. Which the GM said it was not closed that I was ok. The staff member replied "oh yeah Stuey always gets his way" I told him if I was not allowed to practice at a course that I have been a member at for 12 years now I would never come back. He told me "we do not care if you or any of the members come back" I went back to the GM and he sorta shrugged it off. I told him fine screw you I am outta here. Made araingments to join at a course across the street that I used to play at. had a talk with them and they are not so tourist driven. If I join them I only pay cart fee for all 3 of their courses and I can book a tee time a week in advance if I want to plus 25% off in the pro shop and other things. Only $300 per year. A lot of the staff at IW do not like me anymore because I used to play in the group with the 2 big managers that no longer work for the company.. So screw them I do bring in a lot of guest play and reccomend on the blogs etc--- no more buddy boy-- Yep it got like that once before and then the 08 recession hit and they were begging locals to play. I may play there some until my membership expires and just be a plain out PIA / SOB which I can be. Heck the regular Sunday members group could not play today and no one bothered to accomodate them at any of the 20 other courses that group owns

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Beginning of season:

Now:

Sigh.....

Jordan-

1970 Dunlop Maxfli Flatbacks- Golf Club ID and Price Guide III describes them as such.

"Flat soled, completely plain, flat back design with no grooves or cavities at all. Stamps- Maxfli between diagonal line pattern."

• 3 years later...
5 hours ago, Pvanstrom said:

I picked these clubs up for free from a guy cleaning out his garage. I’m just curious what your guys thoughts are on them and if you can tell me more about them?

One has a loose piece inside that sounds like a piece of metal sliding up and down inside. 

D6F4023D-97EC-41D2-B634-8BF7D2EFF942.jpeg

3A326E85-9150-42D5-B685-5EEB6E48513A.jpeg

1552FCF9-666C-41A3-AE50-9C26D277BF8C.jpeg

0F698303-BAFE-4115-B67F-6CA1517D1B18.jpeg

12981510-E5EC-499C-942C-FFA7F1499B74.jpeg

0FEA3773-DFF7-4858-A24D-8A7C41470C77.jpeg

Button Back 2 iron is a quality bit of kit!😍

• Like 2