I HATE GOLF GALAXY!!!

BCULAW

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

First, let me say that I have been spoiled. I spent the majority of my golfing life in Tampa, Florida, where I frequented a number of local golf store, both locally owned and of the big box variety. I developed relationships with the management and staff that likely garnered me favor, but I also spent enough money at those establishments to have earned favored customer status. Setting that aside, I can say with confidence that the local shop (T&D Golf) had a friendly and helpful staff that was eager to help, enjoyed the game and the equipment, and went out of their way to make sure you were treated well and fairly. T&D had a good selection of new and used clubs, offered prompt club repair services IN VOLUME (very busy, but could usually do the work while you waited with rare exception for complicated jobs or when parts had to be specially ordered), treated you fairly on trade-ins and returns, and EARNED loyalty by their attention to the customer's needs.

There were also a couple of big box retailers in the area with multiple locations (Edwin Watts and Golfsmith). They were certainly more corporate and formal in their treatment of the customer, but still eager to help. The selection was tailored more towards the weekend warrior than the more serious golfer, which I understand, but they offered competitive prices with frequent discounts (especially on soft goods), ample opportunity for demoing clubs, solid policies with respect to returns, and reasonable prices on used clubs.

I moved to Richmond, Virginia last year where the only full-service golf shop in town was Golf Galaxy. As a golf fanatic, I became a frequent visitor to the store, and it was not uncommon for me to "have lunch" there 3-5 times per week. The store and its services, though, were sorely lacking. No deals or discounts to be found. Painfully slow club repair on anything beyond a single grip change. Simulators that were either out of order, or just not turned on for use. Help was slow to offer. Customer service was poor and even belligerent at times. I presumed this all to be a product of the monopoly the store had over the golfers in the area. It was the only option, it knew it, and didn't need to assert itself as a customer-friendly enterprise. (Incidentally, Golfsmith came to town last month, and nothing has changed except Golf Galaxy has fewer customers to ignore).

I have come to realize over the past year, however, that Golf Galaxy is just not a very customer friendly company. I guess the final straw came this weekend. As an "Advantage Club" member I receive occasional "coupons" and incentives, the most significant of which are based on money spent in the store. I received a coupon for $10 off "your purchase of $50 or more." Cool. Nice perk. Except the coupon "excludes Under Armor, Ping, Titleist, Mizuno Golf, electronics, Pinnacle, grips and shafts and select Footjoy, Callaway, Cleveland, Adams, Odyssey, Cobra, Nike Golf, TaylorMade and Adidas. Some additional exclusions apply." Seriously!?! What's left???

OK, I also received a coupon to "take 25% off a pair of golf shoes." The coupon makes clear that it "CAN be combined with other offers and coupons." Golf Galaxy is running 25% off Adidas and Puma shoes this weekend, presumably for Father's Day. I have been eyeing a pair of Adidas Tour 360 M1s. Normally $129.00. With the 25% discount, the shoes drop to $97 and change with taxes. Combine it with the 25% coupon I have (which the coupon expressly acknowledges to be permitted), and I get a really nice deal. Turns out, can't be applied to the Tour 360 M1s. Nor can the $10 off coupon I received as an Advantage Club Member.

What really put me over the edge, though, is that THE PICTURE ON THE 25% COUPON IS OF THE VERY PAIR OF ADIDAS TOUR 360 M1S I TRIED TO PURCHASE!!!!!

I get it. The market is tough. Sales are down. You can't give the deep discounts you have in the past because you can't afford to give product away during these hard times. Fine, but this is a joke!

Golf Galaxy, if you treated your customers with more attention and a better shopping/golf experience, maybe you wouldn't have to use "bait and switch" type advertising to try to trick the consumer into purchasing your products. I had planned on making the thirty minute drive to the store yesterday to buy the shoes, but decided to do so online instead. I would have been really pissed if I made the drive.

Some companies spend time and effort on their people and their customers and the positive bottom line follows as a result. Some companies focus on the bottom line to the detriment of their people and customers. More times than not, the focus on the bottom line is because it is in bad shape. Maybe it is in bad shape because you did a piss poor job training your people and caring for the people that add to the bottom line. For shame, Golf Galaxy.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Service is one thing, but wanting coupons multiplied so they make $0 off of your purchase is another. Hopefully they do a better job next time or you will obviously become a Golfsmith customer.

We all want Mom and Pop service and Costco prices. Retail is at a crossroads, because the Mom and Pops are gone, and now nobody offers personal attention. They can't afford to, because most customers won't pay for it. They hit clubs in the monitors and then search the clubs out by price on the Internet.

Stealth 2 10.5˚ Ventus TR Red 6-S
Stealth 15˚ Ventus TR Blue 7-S
Stealth 19˚Hy Ventus Blue 8-S
SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW MMT 105
MG Hi-Toe 3 50˚, 54˚, 58˚ MMT 125
Evnroll ER2v Mid Slant
TP5 Pix
Bushnell Pro X3

They generally underwhelm me more every time I go in there. I went in to *try* to buy some shoes the other day. One guy was working in the general area of the shoes and helping another guy. He never came back to help me. I tried on about 12 pairs of shoes, no one ever asked to help me. Not once. I left the boxes on the floor for them. They can put them away for me at least. Geesh.
I need a 12W and they generally have about 3 pairs in a store the size of a football field. On the walk out (totally frustrated, didn't even try to use the coupons they sent, and reading this, I'm glad I didn't) the young gal behind the checkout asks me if I found everything OK. Explained my frustration. "Oh, so and so is really good at fitting shoes. He works again Saturday morning (this was a Monday afternoon.) I explained that's great, but he can't wedge a 11 medium onto my 12W's. Gotta have PRODUCT to fit, I explained to her.

Between the big box concept, and the lack of quality goods therein, I really have come to a place I never thought I would. General disinterest in the golf store. But... when only two stores are left (Golfsmith, with the same crappy inventory) they can be as crappy as they want to be. Besides, when did it happen that a Nike dri-fit hat now costs $30. Really? Is there golf-specific inflation going on? And they wonder why sales keep going down?

Have you been to the new Golfsmith on Broad Street yet?

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

[quote name='BCULAW' timestamp='1402849519' post='9499841']
As a golf fanatic, I became a frequent visitor to the store, and it was not uncommon for me to "have lunch" there 3-5 times per week. Simulators that were either out of order, or just not turned on for use. Help was slow to offer.
[/quote]
3-5 times a week????

I think you've acquired the below reputation from the staff.

"Oh no...here he is again.....everyone duck and hide....he'll want to demo all the newest clubs....and he'll then try to spend 20 minutes to discuss blades vs. cavity backs....let's have the rookie service him" :taunt:[size=4] [/size]

My worst GG experience:
Went in a few years ago to buy a set of new Ping irons. I have been playing Pings for decades and have always been fitted for Orange Dot. The GG pro takes my measurements, I hit some balls on the simulator, etc. He says I'm Black Dot. Seemed weird to me, as the previous 5 fittings in my life all came to Orange Dot, and nothing about me has changed physically. Coincidentally, the set of these irons on the rack was Black Dot. He goes into this big sales pitch on why I should buy the set on the rack, etc. He finally agrees to order them, then starts giving me crap because I only wanted to buy 5 through PW, and not 3 through PW. I had enough and said forget it, I need to "think it over" and left.

I then went to a on-course pro shop at a course I don't play at, because their pro did Ping fittings and had an account. Came out to Orange Dot. I ordered the clubs from him.

[quote name='ZBigStick' timestamp='1402850334' post='9499877']
Service is one thing, but wanting coupons multiplied so they make $0 off of your purchase is another. Hopefully they do a better job next time or you will obviously become a Golfsmith customer.

We all want Mom and Pop service and Costco prices. Retail is at a crossroads, because the Mom and Pops are gone, and now nobody offers personal attention. They can't afford to, because most customers won't pay for it. They hit clubs in the monitors and then search the clubs out by price on the Internet.
[/quote]

I understand not permitting multiple coupons. I get that doing so might provide the customer a windfall.

I get it. I really do.

So don't say in your fine print that the coupon "can be combined with other coupons or offers."

Don't refuse the apply the coupon to THE pair of shoes depicted on the coupon.

This isn't an issue of me complaining about being denied a windfall. Frankly, this rant has been long in the making. The coupon/discount issue just sent me over the top.

I understand retail is getting its butt handed to it by online opportunities. They CAN'T compete with the prices available online, and I don't see any way that can change. Overhead is expensive.

If you can't compete with the prices, then you need to find some other way to do it. I bought plenty of product at higher prices at retailers either because I wanted the product now, or because I felt a loyalty or service obligation to do so.

Golf Galaxy is not competing in either regard. In fact, I would go so far as to say that these "coupons" are either downright misleading, or the processes in place to redeem them are broken. In either event, it makes for a poor purchase experience. And, that is something NONE of the golf retailers can afford right now.

[quote name='ZBigStick' timestamp='1402850334' post='9499877']

[/quote]
It says right on the coupons that they CAN be combined with other offers. That was a rarity to see. But I guess if there are so many exclusions they are worthless, they can let you combine all the coupons you want to.

Nah, OP said he's attained "preferred customer" status at golf stores. You know if you go in to spend money or not.

I've decided to support my local courses as much as possible. Hats, gloves, all those "incidentals" I get at the course now instead of a GG and generally the prices have been a little lower. Time to start supporting GREEN GRASS PRO SHOPS again and your pro. TELL the big boxes to stuff it!

[quote name='Mr22putt' timestamp='1402850953' post='9499915']
[quote name='BCULAW' timestamp='1402849519' post='9499841']
As a golf fanatic, I became a frequent visitor to the store, and it was not uncommon for me to "have lunch" there 3-5 times per week. Simulators that were either out of order, or just not turned on for use. Help was slow to offer.
[/quote]
3-5 times a week????

I think you've acquired the below reputation from the staff.

"Oh no...here he is again.....everyone duck and hide....he'll want to demo all the newest clubs....and he'll then try to spend 20 minutes to discuss blades vs. cavity backs....let's have the rookie service him" :taunt:[size=4] [/size]
[/quote]

Believe me, I have considered that. Seriously, I have. But this was an online purchase purportedly backed by corporately issued policies and coupons.

[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1402850460' post='9499885']
I tried on about 12 pairs of shoes, no one ever asked to help me. Not once. I left the boxes on the floor for them. They can put them away for me at least. Geesh.
[/quote]
Are you also one to leave all your garbage at the table after your meal at McDonalds vs. simply taking you garbage to the trash bins and leaving a clean table for the next customer?

If you were able to try 12 pairs of shoes it was obviously a self serve area.....it's not a "try and dump" area....could this be a reason why you were being ignored by the sales staff?....while they seem to be assisting others.

The bricks and mortar retail model is a "no win" business model....many people use them to try clubs, apparel, etc only to go on-line to find a better deal.

The woman that runs the cash register at GG in Richmond tried to argue a price with me one time. It was a "buy two for $X deal, so I grabbed two boxes. At the counter they rang up at full price. I told her of the deal and she said I was wrong. I said I wasn't. She said nastily "you need to go and get the tag off the shelf and bring it to me". I said "OK". I went and got it and showed it to her. Again she said nastily "that sale ended yesterday". I said well the tag is still there. She scowled and started to get crappy when the manager walked up. He overheard the whole thing and told her to sell the balls to me at the price on the tag. She was angry.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

[quote name='Mr22putt' timestamp='1402851674' post='9499985']
I tried on about 12 pairs of shoes, no one ever asked to help me. Not once. I left the boxes on the floor for them. They can put them away for me at least. Geesh.
[/quote]
Are you also one to leave all your garbage at the table after your meal at McDonalds vs. simply taking you garbage to the trash bins and leaving a clean table for the next customer?

If you were able to try 12 pairs of shoes it was obviously a self serve area.....it's not a "try and dump" area....could this be a reason why you were being ignored by the sales staff?....while they seem to be assisting others.

The bricks and mortar retail model is a "no win" business model....many people use them to try clubs, apparel, etc only to go on-line to find a better deal.
[/quote]
The staff did help the guy that was literally sitting next to me also trying on shoes. I was in the area for over an HOUR with not [u]one[/u] offer for help. I didn't mention that I was pretty much the only person in the store besides. They can put some boxes away for me. See, I made an executive decision. One I bet GG corporate doesn't mind at all, and they probably wish their sales staff would have offered to help a customer on a very slow day. Ask them. I bet I am not in the wrong here.
Boxes of new shoes are not half eaten food. Poor analogy. They can earn their money. That's what I had to do to be in their store looking to spend some.

They get a medal for showing up for work now too? No. Sorry.
I've not been conditioned to expect "self-serve" areas of stores when its a LUXURY sport to play. That's just lowering expectations waaay too much as a consumer.

[quote name='shaffe' timestamp='1402851725' post='9499989']
What are you doing there 3-5 times a week?
[/quote]

I grew up with multiple siblings and learned to eat fast so my brother didn't eat it for me. I eat lunch in a couple of minutes and would rather browse a golf shop than surf the internet for the rest of my down time.

Prior to my move, the stores I visited had a regular lunch time crowd. We built friendships with each other and the employees and staff. We told jokes and stories and turned the golf shop into a clubhouse for an hour or two a day. We might walk out empty handed, but rarely did. When we did, we usually had ideas for our next purchase in mind.

When I moved here, I sought out similar atmospheres. I'm still looking. Spending more time reading books at lunch nowadays.

[quote name='Hot Rod 71' timestamp='1402851896' post='9500007']
The woman that runs the cash register at GG in Richmond tried to argue a price with me one time. It was a "buy two for $X deal, so I grabbed two boxes. At the counter they rang up at full price. I told her of the deal and she said I was wrong. I said I wasn't. She said nastily "you need to go and get the tag off the shelf and bring it to me". I said "OK". I went and got it and showed it to her. Again she said nastily "that sale ended yesterday". I said well the tag is still there. She scowled and started to get crappy when the manager walked up. He overheard the whole thing and told her to sell the balls to me at the price on the tag. She was angry.
[/quote]

Sorry to hear about that. I know the woman to whom you refer. She treats me well, but there is a white haired man that works there that treats me with utter disdain and belligerence. It is as if he is looking for a fight every time I cone in. My sense is that they have become so defensive due to customer complaints that they are bracing for fight even when there's none to be had.

[quote name='BCULAW' timestamp='1402854998' post='9500265']
[/quote]

I grew up with multiple siblings and learned to eat fast so my brother didn't eat it for me. I eat lunch in a couple of minutes and would rather browse a golf shop than surf the internet for the rest of my down time.

Prior to my move, the stores I visited had a regular lunch time crowd. We built friendships with each other and the employees and staff. We told jokes and stories and turned the golf shop into a clubhouse for an hour or two a day. We might walk out empty handed, but rarely did. When we did, we usually had ideas for our next purchase in mind.

When I moved here, I sought out similar atmospheres. I'm still looking. Spending more time reading books at lunch nowadays.
[/quote]

Is should've prefaced my question by saying that the GG in Richmond is a miserable place to go and I couldn't imagine going there 3-5 times a week. I've been through there a couple of times and its typical of most GGs and big boxes in general.

I haven't been to the new Golfsmith in Richmond yet, but I have a couple gift cards that need to be spent.

[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1402851989' post='9500015']
[/quote]

[/quote]
The staff did help the guy that was literally sitting next to me also trying on shoes. I was in the area for over an HOUR with not [u]one[/u] offer for help. I didn't mention that I was pretty much the only person in the store besides. They can put some boxes away for me. See, I made an executive decision. One I bet GG corporate doesn't mind at all, and they probably wish their sales staff would have offered to help a customer on a very slow day. Ask them. I bet I am not in the wrong here.
Boxes of new shoes are not half eaten food. Poor analogy. They can earn their money. That's what I had to do to be in their store looking to spend some.

I've not been conditioned to expect "self-serve" areas of stores when its a LUXURY sport to play. That's just lowering expectations waaay too much as a consumer.
[/quote]

The Lord hath shown up, all serfs prepare to serve him.

Apparently you needed someone to walk to the shoes right in front of you and hand them to you, much like a waiter. Food analogy seems valid.

Boxes of new shoes are not half eaten food. Poor analogy. [size=4][b]They can earn their money. That's what I had to do to be in their store looking to spend some.[/b][/size]

[size=4][b]I've not been conditioned to expect "self-serve" areas of stores when its a LUXURY sport to play[/b][/size]. That's just lowering expectations waaay too much as a consumer.
[/quote]
Yes...the staff should have asked if you needed help...but if you needed assistance what stopped you from asking for help?

I'm thinking from the tone of your replies that you seem like you might be an unapproachable person or one of entitlement.
The sales staff(s) assisted another customer and it seems like they purposefully avoided for whatever reason...the store was not busy.

Obviously, it's your decision as to how you want your customer experiences to be.
IMO....I just think it's common courtesy if you try on 12 pairs of shoes in a self serve area......to put back the shoes.
Could you imagine what retail stores would look like if all customers tried on clothes, shoes, gloves, etc and then left them all on the floor.

You've likely were "labelled" from the sales staff as...."oh great...another guy who's is going to try shoes for an hour and then walk out of the store to buy them on-line."
There have been other threads on this site discussing what retail employees have to put up with.

If there is mutual respect between customers and service staff....it usually ends up as a pleasant experience for both parties.
I know when I am pleasant to service staff...I've usually been rewarded with a great customer experience and often able to negotiate some nice purchases.

[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1402850460' post='9499885'] I tried on about 12 pairs of shoes, no one ever asked to help me. Not once. I left the boxes on the floor for them. They can put them away for me at least. Geesh.
[/quote]

And this is why the rest of us receive poor customer service. How can anyone expect a worker to be in a positive mood when someone like mr_divots comes in and completely disrespects the workers.

Then he yells at the cashier about merchandise ordering...

I can't blame a minimum wage worker for not caring about his or her job with actions like this. I just don't know how mr_divots or anyone else who acts like him could believe his actions were appropriate.

I bought a putter at GG once.

When I walked in there was a sign by the door that said "50% off of all red tags"

I walk to the putters and find a few I liked

I ended up finding a Rife 460 Tour Blade with a red tag for $39.97. That means $20. I ended up buying a Winn AVS jumbo grip to put on it.

Me and my mom go to pay and the guy at the register says it only applies to clothing.

Luckily my mom has worked retail for a while so she knew the ropes.

She said since there were no stated exclusions I should pay half of that.

He agreed and as we're about to finish the manager walks up and flips out.

My mom had a discussion with him and I got the price I wanted.

They didn't charge to install the grip. I think they wanted us out of the store.

I haven't been back since because Golfsmith is so much better and I'm not sure we're welcome there :)

PK

Taylormade R1 10°
Taylormade RBZ 15°
Titleist TSI3 20°

Ping S55 3-P
Vokey SM9 52° 58°

Bettinardi Studio Stock 9

[quote name='BCULAW' timestamp='1402855364' post='9500291']
[quote name='Hot Rod 71' timestamp='1402851896' post='9500007']
[/quote]

Sorry to hear about that. I know the woman to whom you refer. She treats me well, but there is a white haired man that works there that treats me with utter disdain and belligerence. It is as if he is looking for a fight every time I cone in. My sense is that they have become so defensive due to customer complaints that they are bracing for fight even when there's none to be had.
[/quote]LMAO, wow, this sounds like my bar after last call, lol.

I buy 90% of my stuff at Green Grass shops(2), though I do buy my gloves, shoes and balls(when I buy em) at either GG or Dick's, and maybe I'm just lucky, however the staff, Class As and anyone that I've encountered couldn't be nicer. The Class A at GG here in town is a former member at our club, a former Head Pro at a very nice resort outside of Pittsburgh, who basically got "downsized" when a national mgt company purchased the resort.

Instead of being bitter, which would be easy as if you talk to any Class A they will tell you that the "cream" Head jobs are very hard to come by, and he had one. So he runs the golf operations, and looks at it as the glass is half full because he gets to be home every night for dinner with his children and to tuck em in to bed. He and his staff couldn't be kinder or more helpful.

My point is only that I wouldn't broad stroke it that every big box sucks. I do feel for you cuz when I left Pittsburgh for a few years and was in ChiTown, and while I loved the city, it was like starting from ground zero, networking and relationships wise. That's hard and it's humbling, lol.

Well, I wish you the best and hope that ya have a great season :)

Fairways & Greens My Friend,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Why do you need help to try on shoes?

A lot of these stores need to stop doing the 'Jos. A. Bank' sales. Golf Galaxy is notorious for spamming people with coupons for 10% of their inventory. It's so misleading to the average person.

That being said. I'm not shocked with any of these stories at all. One time they tried to fight me on $3 off a $45 purchase. It's unreal.

[/quote]

What's wrong with that? I have a 1 hr. drive to work and leave early because you never know about traffic. There is a GG five minutes from where I work. I'll stop in mine around three times a week myself just to burn off those extra minutes when traffic is good. They have a good used club selection that changes daily. I like to look and buy. I've been there before when they just posted in store specials and got some really nice deals before everything was gone.Maybe I am not the retail customer they are looking for but I am sure they are happy when I buy their stuff they want to get rid of on clearence. I've tried to buy some retail priced stuff from mine too but I have found their service at mine to be lacking too. Maybe it's because " I AM THAT GUY"..Oh well.

[quote name='Greenie' timestamp='1402867970' post='9501337']
[/quote]

What's wrong with that? I have a 1 hr. drive to work and leave early because you never know about traffic. There is a GG five minutes from where I work. I'll stop in mine around three times a week myself just to burn off those extra minutes when traffic is good. They have a good used club selection that changes daily. I like to look and buy. I've been there before when they just posted in store specials and got some really nice deals before everything was gone.Maybe I am not the retail customer they are looking for but I am sure they are happy when I buy their stuff they want to get rid of on clearence. I've tried to buy some retail priced stuff from mine too but I have found their service at mine to be lacking too. Maybe it's because " I AM THAT GUY"..Oh well.
[/quote]

Nothing ... Glad GG is there for you. :)

[quote name='kal32473' timestamp='1402866988' post='9501233']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
I'm not sure, but pretty soon they'll start charging a fitting fee for shoes that will be waived if you buy them in store (without coupons, of course).

I think it was RIchard Nixon who was credited with saying "When you feel hatred, you are the only one feeling it."

My point is simple. Move on to the competition and don't look back. Enough consumers do this and they will be done. Consumers control the market. Some of the big box stores have completely forgotten this simple concept.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='Medic' timestamp='1402870837' post='9501649']
I think it was RIchard Nixon who was credited with saying "When you feel hatred, you are the only one feeling it."

My point is simple. Move on to the competition and don't look back. Enough consumers do this and they will be done. Consumers control the market. Some of the big box stores have completely forgotten this simple concept.
[/quote]
Agreed.
I actually prefer my Golf Galaxy to Golfsmith. They're right across the street from each other here. I've done business with both (driver at Golfsmith, iron grip rebuild at Golf Galaxy) and wish I would've chose GG for everything.

[quote name='diehllane' timestamp='1402870717' post='9501631']
[quote name='kal32473' timestamp='1402866988' post='9501233']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
I'm not sure, but pretty soon they'll start charging a fitting fee for shoes that will be waived if you buy them in store (without coupons, of course).
[/quote]

Well, as long as you buy the shoes from the place you try them on from, the fee would be a moot point....