2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

I HATE GOLF GALAXY!!!

BCULAW

[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1403197271' post='9532719']
[quote name='kal32473' timestamp='1402866988' post='9501233']
[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1402851989' post='9500015']
[quote name='Mr22putt' timestamp='1402851674' post='9499985']
[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1402850460' post='9499885']
I tried on about 12 pairs of shoes, no one ever asked to help me. Not once. I left the boxes on the floor for them. They can put them away for me at least. Geesh.
[/quote]
Are you also one to leave all your garbage at the table after your meal at McDonalds vs. simply taking you garbage to the trash bins and leaving a clean table for the next customer?

If you were able to try 12 pairs of shoes it was obviously a self serve area.....it's not a "try and dump" area....could this be a reason why you were being ignored by the sales staff?....while they seem to be assisting others.

The bricks and mortar retail model is a "no win" business model....many people use them to try clubs, apparel, etc only to go on-line to find a better deal.
[/quote]
The staff did help the guy that was literally sitting next to me also trying on shoes. I was in the area for over an HOUR with not [u]one[/u] offer for help. I didn't mention that I was pretty much the only person in the store besides. They can put some boxes away for me. See, I made an executive decision. One I bet GG corporate doesn't mind at all, and they probably wish their sales staff would have offered to help a customer on a very slow day. Ask them. I bet I am not in the wrong here.
Boxes of new shoes are not half eaten food. Poor analogy. They can earn their money. That's what I had to do to be in their store looking to spend some.

They get a medal for showing up for work now too? No. Sorry.
I've not been conditioned to expect "self-serve" areas of stores when its a LUXURY sport to play. That's just lowering expectations waaay too much as a consumer.
[/quote]

Why do you need help to try on shoes?
[/quote]
Not that I need to be coddled, but it wasn't that many years ago, you'd go to a golf store to try on some shoes (when there was more competition than the big boxes, mind you) and they would help fit the shoes, get you some socks if needed, find your size, lace them up for you, put them away if they didn't fit. I'm just old enough to remember how things used to be. Younger people never experienced it, so it seems strange to them. You've been conditioned. You might say I was too. But at least it left people with some satisfaction as they left a store.

The job description is for a GG sales staff employee, I bet there is some mention of helping or offering help, finding merchandise, returning to stock, etc. What are they being paid to do? I'm not doing someone else's job for them just because I want to buy a pair of shoes. And if they were doing their job, they'd have to open all those boxes anyway to make sure they weren't put away in a half-assed manner. It would be bad form to let customers re-stock and accept however it was done.
If GG corporate doesn't have issue with my trip there, which they wouldn't, WRX shouldn't be too concerned about the big box.

The only "entitled" attitude I am witnessing is people thinking they don't have to do ANYTHING to earn a paycheck. Weird. Just odd.
[/quote]

But yours is only one opinion on how your shoe purchase transaction should go down

I personally not only don't want anyone helping me when doing something like that I'd get a bit anxious if someone did. I'm capable of reading the size on the box and capable of putting the shoes back in the box and the box back where I grabbed it from.

TM Sim D-Type Tour AD IZ 7s
Mavrik SZ 16.5 Tour AD DI 7s
Cleveland Hibore Xli 3,4,5
TaylorMade P790 6-AW
TM Tour MG Raw 54/58
Evnroll ER-1.2

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1403197271' post='9532719']
[quote name='kal32473' timestamp='1402866988' post='9501233']
[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1402851989' post='9500015']
[quote name='Mr22putt' timestamp='1402851674' post='9499985']
I tried on about 12 pairs of shoes, no one ever asked to help me. Not once. I left the boxes on the floor for them. They can put them away for me at least. Geesh.
[/quote]
Are you also one to leave all your garbage at the table after your meal at McDonalds vs. simply taking you garbage to the trash bins and leaving a clean table for the next customer?

If you were able to try 12 pairs of shoes it was obviously a self serve area.....it's not a "try and dump" area....could this be a reason why you were being ignored by the sales staff?....while they seem to be assisting others.

The bricks and mortar retail model is a "no win" business model....many people use them to try clubs, apparel, etc only to go on-line to find a better deal.
[/quote]
The staff did help the guy that was literally sitting next to me also trying on shoes. I was in the area for over an HOUR with not [u]one[/u] offer for help. I didn't mention that I was pretty much the only person in the store besides. They can put some boxes away for me. See, I made an executive decision. One I bet GG corporate doesn't mind at all, and they probably wish their sales staff would have offered to help a customer on a very slow day. Ask them. I bet I am not in the wrong here.
Boxes of new shoes are not half eaten food. Poor analogy. They can earn their money. That's what I had to do to be in their store looking to spend some.

They get a medal for showing up for work now too? No. Sorry.
I've not been conditioned to expect "self-serve" areas of stores when its a LUXURY sport to play. That's just lowering expectations waaay too much as a consumer.
[/quote]

Why do you need help to try on shoes?
[/quote]
Not that I need to be coddled, but it wasn't that many years ago, you'd go to a golf store to try on some shoes (when there was more competition than the big boxes, mind you) and they would help fit the shoes, get you some socks if needed, find your size, lace them up for you, put them away if they didn't fit. I'm just old enough to remember how things used to be. Younger people never experienced it, so it seems strange to them. You've been conditioned. You might say I was too. But at least it left people with some satisfaction as they left a store.

The job description is for a GG sales staff employee, I bet there is some mention of helping or offering help, finding merchandise, returning to stock, etc. What are they being paid to do? I'm not doing someone else's job for them just because I want to buy a pair of shoes. And if they were doing their job, they'd have to open all those boxes anyway to make sure they weren't put away in a half-assed manner. It would be bad form to let customers re-stock and accept however it was done.
If GG corporate doesn't have issue with my trip there, which they wouldn't, WRX shouldn't be too concerned about the big box.

The only "entitled" attitude I am witnessing is people thinking they don't have to do ANYTHING to earn a paycheck. Weird. Just odd.
[/quote]

Do you honestly need someone to lace your shoes up when you try them on? You know what size you are. You try a pair on by yourself, if they feel good, you buy them. If they don't feel good, you don't buy them. It's as simple as that.

This all reminds me of when you go into the grocery store and there isn't a bagger at checkout and the customer just sits and watches the clerk bag the groceries and doesn't even bother to help...it's really annoying because they walk around the whole dang store picking things off the shelves and putting them in their cart. Then they take everything out of the cart and put it on the belt. BUT it's too much to ask at that point to put your groceries in your bag.

[quote name='SuperTwi' timestamp='1403242135' post='9537475']
This all reminds me of when you go into the grocery store and there isn't a bagger at checkout and the customer just sits and watches the clerk bag the groceries and doesn't even bother to help...it's really annoying because they walk around the whole dang store picking things off the shelves and putting them in their cart. Then they take everything out of the cart and put it on the belt. BUT it's too much to ask at that point to put your groceries in your bag.
[/quote]

This is an entirely different argument. Groceries cost as much as they do because the salaries of all store employees are figured into the cost of the groceries. Whether you know it or not, you are paying for those groceries to be bagged, so why should you have to do it? I generally bag my own because most of the baggers these days suck. Mostly teenagers with entitlement issues who would rather be playing X-Box or sleeping than working to earn what they get.

If you were paying a company to cut your grass, would you get out there every time they showed up and help them, while still paying them their asking price?

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

[quote name='harold baines' timestamp='1402929544' post='9506179']
complaints like this are silly

nobody's forcing you to shop at a big box......

there is zero chance in hell that GG or any big box is the only place you can buy or look at clubs locally
there are plenty of places called "golf courses" and many of them have something called a "pro-shop" and if you look really carefully to your right or left next time you're paying your green fees, you may see some golf clubs... and this may seem weird, but they are for sale

if you or anyone really "hates" any big box store, just frickin stop going to them 5 days a week on your lunch hour... vote with your wallet
maybe you'll have to pay a couple bucks more, or you won't have as big a selection... but do you want big box or do you want service?
[/quote]

How exactly does paying more and poor selection equate to "service"? This is the flaw in the "green grass" argument. A vast majority of PGA professionals that I know, have 1/10th the equipment knowledge of the average wrx'er. And also much less than the golf addict kid working part-time at GG or golfsmith.

My pro just received a top 100 fitter award from Taylormade. If he is any indication of what a Taylormade top fitter is, you're much better off at a big box.

Now, that being said the idea you get better pricing at a big box is in my experience false. Most of the green grass guys in my area will at least match a big box price, and often times beat it by a significant amount.

[quote name='Hot%20Rod%2071' timestamp='1403261636' post='9537901']
[quote name=%26amp%3B%2339%3BSuperTwi%26amp%3B%2339%3B timestamp='1403242135' post='9537475']
[/quote]

This is an entirely different argument. Groceries cost as much as they do because the salaries of all store employees are figured into the cost of the groceries. Whether you know it or not, you are paying for those groceries to be bagged, so why should you have to do it? I generally bag my own because most of the baggers these days suck. Mostly teenagers with entitlement issues who would rather be playing X-Box or sleeping than working to earn what they get.

If you were paying a company to cut your grass, would you get out there every time they showed up and help them, while still paying them their asking price?
[/quote]

Terrible analogy.

I wouldn't cut down a tree in my yard and just leave it there and expect the guys cutting my grass to get rid of it.

[quote name='Startzel' timestamp='1403315748' post='9543925']
[quote name='Hot%20Rod%2071' timestamp='1403261636' post='9537901']
[quote name=%26amp%3B%2339%3BSuperTwi%26amp%3B%2339%3B timestamp='1403242135' post='9537475']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Terrible analogy.

I wouldn't cut down a tree in my yard and just leave it there and expect the guys cutting my grass to get rid of it.
[/quote]

Are you talking about my analogy or his?

PXG Bat Attack H

[quote name='kal32473' timestamp='1403203802' post='9533417']
Do you honestly need someone to lace your shoes up when you try them on? You know what size you are. You try a pair on by yourself, if they feel good, you buy them. If they don't feel good, you don't buy them. It's as simple as that.
[/quote]
Took me a good hour to try on all those shoes without assistance. (I have really hard feet to fit, shoes are [i]THE[/i] most difficult thing in life for me to find.)
I wanted to look at other stuff that day too and try to use the coupons they sent for clothing, etc.
I just had enough and left. Had I not spent my entire time with the shoes, I would have been looking at other stuff too. Kinda why stores hire sales staff. Thats the idea. Help and encourage sales. But, I'm not very impressed with their very limited selection of brands, styles, and especially sizes they carry for shoes. No better at Golfsmith across the street. Those are the "choices" now, so for the above poster who asked who is forcing to go to the big box: the big boxes are. They put the small stores under years ago.

[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1403377272' post='9546755']
[/quote]
Took me a good hour to try on all those shoes without assistance. (I have really hard feet to fit, shoes are [i]THE[/i] most difficult thing in life for me to find.)
I wanted to look at other stuff that day too and try to use the coupons they sent for clothing, etc.
I just had enough and left. Had I not spent my entire time with the shoes, I would have been looking at other stuff too. Kinda why stores hire sales staff. Thats the idea. Help and encourage sales. But, I'm not very impressed with their very limited selection of brands, styles, and especially sizes they carry for shoes. No better at Golfsmith across the street. Those are the "choices" now, so for the above poster who asked who is forcing to go to the big box: the big boxes are. They put the small stores under years ago.
[/quote]

So you're upset that you had to actually put the shoes on yourself? And you were so exhausted by the physicality of that incredible feat that you up and left? Is that what you're saying?

[quote name='kal32473' timestamp='1403377778' post='9546789']
[/quote]
[/quote]

So you're upset that you had to actually put the shoes on yourself? And you were so exhausted by the physicality of that incredible feat that you up and left? Is that what you're saying?
[/quote]
I'm saying it took a while and that I had spent enough time in a store that day. Maybe if someone who was familiar with their stock was there to help, I could have tried on fewer shoes and went on with other items I wanted that day? Instead? Zero sales. Ask GG corporate how awesome that is.

I have 3 chronic illnesses and will be in the chemo chair again on June 30th. Kiss it, sonny.

[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1403378285' post='9546829']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
I'm saying it took a while and that I had spent enough time in a store that day. Maybe if someone who was familiar with their stock was there to help, I could have tried on fewer shoes and went on with other items I wanted that day? Instead? Zero sales. Ask GG corporate how awesome that is.

I have 3 chronic illnesses and will be in the chemo chair again on June 30th. Kiss it, sonny.
[/quote]

My apologies. My buddy's dad has stage 4 lung cancer so I can appreciate what you're going through.

[quote name='Hot%20Rod%2071' timestamp='1403323752' post='9544613']
[quote name=%26amp%3B%2339%3BStartzel%26amp%3B%2339%3B timestamp='1403315748' post='9543925']
[quote name=%26amp%3B%2339%3BHot%2520Rod%252071%26amp%3B%2339%3B timestamp='1403261636' post='9537901']
[quote name=%2526amp%253B%252339%253BSuperTwi%2526amp%253B%252339%253B timestamp='1403242135' post='9537475']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Terrible analogy.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yours.

[quote name=%26amp%3B%2339%3Bkal32473%26amp%3B%2339%3B timestamp='1403377778' post='9546789']
[quote name=%26amp%3B%2339%3Bmr_divots%26amp%3B%2339%3B timestamp='1403377272' post='9546755']
[quote name=%26amp%3B%2339%3Bkal32473%26amp%3B%2339%3B timestamp='1403203802' post='9533417']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

This is pretty insulting to cancer patients to try to argue that going through chemo means you get to act like a child.

[/quote]
I assume you're not Japanese?
http://www.newsday.com/news/world/japanese-team-can-t-bag-goals-but-fans-bag-trash-1.8512323

[quote name='Startzel' timestamp='1403383074' post='9547183']
[quote name='Hot%20Rod%2071' timestamp='1403323752' post='9544613']
[quote name=%26amp%3B%2339%3BStartzel%26amp%3B%2339%3B timestamp='1403315748' post='9543925']
[quote name=%26amp%3B%2339%3BHot%2520Rod%252071%26amp%3B%2339%3B timestamp='1403261636' post='9537901']
[quote name=%2526amp%253B%252339%253BSuperTwi%2526amp%253B%252339%253B timestamp='1403242135' post='9537475']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Terrible analogy.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yours.
[/quote]

Whatever you say, since you seem to be the self appointed authority on everything on this forum.

Perhaps one day I will be as smart and well rounded as you. One can only dream....

I mean, that analogy of the tree and lawn guys was just spot on..... :cheesy:

PXG Bat Attack H

[quote name='Hot%20Rod%2071' timestamp='1403394534' post='9548123']
Perhaps one day I will be as smart and well rounded as you. One can only dream....
[/quote]

The difference between us is looking more like a chasm. It's looking like that gap is too big for you to overcome.

If you ever need help with understanding analogies please feel free to PM me and I'll be glad to help you out.

[quote name='Startzel' timestamp='1403401456' post='9548759']
[quote name='Hot%20Rod%2071' timestamp='1403394534' post='9548123']
[/quote]

The difference between us is looking more like a chasm. It's looking like that gap is too big for you to overcome.

If you ever need help with understanding analogies please feel free to PM me and I'll be glad to help you out.
[/quote]

Funniest thing I've heard in a long time. Thanks for the laugh.

PXG Bat Attack H

[quote name='Startzel' timestamp='1403383182' post='9547189']
[quote name=%26amp%3B%2339%3Bkal32473%26amp%3B%2339%3B timestamp='1403377778' post='9546789']
[quote name=%26amp%3B%2339%3Bmr_divots%26amp%3B%2339%3B timestamp='1403377272' post='9546755']
[quote name=%26amp%3B%2339%3Bkal32473%26amp%3B%2339%3B timestamp='1403203802' post='9533417']hui
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

This is pretty insulting to cancer patients to try to argue that going through chemo means you get to act like a child.
[/quote]As one who just completed my therapy for a second bout of cancer(prostate-2008, esophageal- 2013- present), what I can assure you is that there are a range of emotions that one goes through and it is an emotional and psychological roller coaster.

Some days, I didn't just act like a child, I acted like a spoiled fricking brat. At times I felt like the walls were closing in, the room was getting smaller, and there was no way out. I can't recount how many times I got up in the middle of the night to go outside, look up at the stars, and just breathe. I've always beenn considered mentally strong and on teams and organizations, I was one that others woukd look to for stability and support, yet some days I was fine, and others I was a spoiled child or worse, snapping needlessly and wrongly at those closest to me.

And the one thing that I will say, and this is having a Mother go through three bouts of breast cancer and my Father, who ironically is an Urologist, go through prostate cancer, who you know who's had cancer doesn't mean squat, and unless you've gone through it, please don't speak for those who have.

If there is someone who went through it , and they "manned up," and never hit their knees, at least, emotionally and psychologically, then God Bless em, they're stronger than I, or any survivors that I've met.

It is not my intent to start an argument but Mr. Divots never should have been pushed to the point of having to defend himself by disclosing his sickness.

Whether you agreed with his post or position or not, it's a frickin golf forum, and he definitely doesn't need some armchair QB tellin him how he should behave or conduct himself in dealing with his condition.

And trust me, Mr. Divots thoughts, behavior or posts are not THE insulting ones on this page-

And Mr. D, God Bless Bro, you're in my thoughts and prayers-

Good Night All, rest well :)

My Best,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

[quote name='Forged4ever' timestamp='1403411832' post='9549617']
It is not my intent to start an argument but Mr. Divots never should have been pushed to the point of having to defend himself by disclosing his sickness.
[/quote]

Mr. Divots should never have come into this thread to boast that he intentionally left 12 pairs of shoes, that he knew did not fit him before he put them on, on the floor for someone else to clean up.

It's one thing to act irrationally in the moment, whether a person is sick or not. It's another thing to boast about one's childish behavior and then use a sickness as a cop out.

Mr. Divots deserves no sympathy for his actions.

[quote name='Startzel' timestamp='1403412874' post='9549693']
[quote name='Forged4ever' timestamp='1403411832' post='9549617']
[/quote]

Mr. Divots should never have come into this thread to boast that he intentionally left 12 pairs of shoes, that he knew did not fit him before he put them on, on the floor for someone else to clean up.

It's one thing to act irrationally in the moment, whether a person is sick or not. It's another thing to boast about one's childish behavior and then use a sickness as a cop out.

Mr. Divots deserves no sympathy for his actions.
[/quote]

Everyone goes through trouble in life. Thinking that one's trouble is enough to justify the general disregard for decency and tactfulness doesn't help anything.

Just as we may not know his level of fitness for trying on shoes, doesn't mean the same can't apply to the folks working at the store.

Sorry, but there's absolutely no justification for intentionally leaving a mess for someone else because it somehow makes you feel justified. I agree with what you've said.

The fact that it was almost a boastful post about leaving the mess irritated me the most. If you want courtesy from others (like help with your shoes) maybe try extending a little to others at the same time. (Like maybe making an effort to clean up your mess and walk out like a man.)

I think it's funny that the people who complain the most about a lack of customer service are also the ones who are readily willing to make life inconvenient for others.

And what gets me more is that, while he might have a good point about the lack of service...he could have actually asked for help. Had he specifically asked for help and been turned down, or ignored, then it would be a completely different scenario.

Quite frankly I'm tired of these bandwagon bash on the retail folks posts. I asked for proof of the coupon and it wasn't provided. By now, I'm willing to say that it probably didn't exist, or that it didn't read exactly as presented.

Further, the thread is misleading because apparently the OP didn't actually talk to anyone about the coupons, but rather tried to manually apply them online. It turned what could have been a fairly simple fix into a lot of offtopic and irrelevant bashing.

Case in point, Mr. Divots thinking it was somehow relevant to inform everyone how discourteous he is. Has nothing to do with not being able to stack coupons online.

[quote name='Startzel' timestamp='1403383182' post='9547189']
[quote name=%26amp%3B%2339%3Bkal32473%26amp%3B%2339%3B timestamp='1403203802' post='9533417']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
My dad just died of brain cancer. You all can kindly fornicate with yourselves.

[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1403450756' post='9551029']
My dad just died of brain cancer. You all can kindly fornicate with yourselves.
[/quote]

I'll be cancer free two years this coming August.

I can tell you that a retail employee not tying my shoelaces was the least of my worries before going under the knife to lose my spleen and knowing chemo was next. I was more worried about whether or not I was going to be alive in a year.

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

We all want rock bottom prices and great customer service but we don't want to pay the little extra for the customer service. Why do you think all the small shops are gone? Nobody wanted to pay for it. Groaning and moaning about how you didn't get great customer service at golf galaxy is like complaining because you didn't get a great meal at McDonald's .... You aren't paying for it.

Gee, Shaffe, I don't know about that McDonalds analogy.

I thought it was pretty good, but you may want to consult with Startzel on that one.

He is the unofficial, official GolfWRX analogy expert.

PXG Bat Attack H

[quote name='shaffe' timestamp='1403464104' post='9552005']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

We all want rock bottom prices and great customer service but we don't want to pay the little extra for the customer service. Why do you think all the small shops are gone? Nobody wanted to pay for it. Groaning and moaning about how you didn't get great customer service at golf galaxy is like complaining because you didn't get a great meal at McDonald's .... You aren't paying for it.
[/quote]
Preaching to the choir. I've used the term "Wallmart mentality" on here more than anyone cares to revisit I'm sure. And know what? People tell me how great Wallmart is in response. And I cringe. I know what running after ever-cheaper consumer prices, goods, and monopolies lead to. Unsatisfactory retail experiences. LACK of choice. Somehow, however, there is chum in the water on WRX and I alone am responsible for all that is wrong in the world. Leaving some boxes of clean shoes (in the box no less) tells you all "what kind of a person I am." Utterly ridiculous.

And still, no one has told me just what, if anything, a GG employee can be bothered to do for their paycheck according to the retial management experts here.
I really demand a basic answer to this question if my character is going to be dragged through the mud over some clean boxes of golf shoes. You're all freaking ridiculous.