Stacy Lewis Hating on Li

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unlike for the PGA Tour qualifiers at both Columbus (Monday after the Memorial) and Memphis (Monday prior to St Jude) where the USGA has a huge number of spots available for each qualifier (like 15+ spots at each, I believe), the USGA doesn't do the same for the LPGA players.

There were a couple of qualifiers that did not have any LPGA players at them and a lot of the amateurs got thru to the Women's Open pretty easily. One site was where Lucy Li qualified. Not saying she wouldn't have made it but it might have been a bit tougher with a stronger field of professionals there.

Stacy is also forgetting that Lexi played as a 12 year old (Lucy beat Lexi's previous age record by 8 months or so).

Greg

GolfWRX.com
twitter @gdm43pga

It's an Open tournament. She qualified. She'll probably have the time of her life.
At the press conference she acted and spoke like a 12 year old. I think it's great.

It's just golf. She's not been selected by NASA to fly the shuttle.

PING Rapture ^10 driver

Callaway UW 19^

PING Anser Forged Irons 3-pw
PING Forged wedges
Wilson 8802 Putter

What were her comments exactly regarding Li?

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

[quote name='Seamus McDuff' timestamp='1403100758' post='9523213']
[quote name='BMC' timestamp='1403099312' post='9522981']
It's an Open tournament. She qualified.
[/quote]

And Stacy acknowledged that. Her problem is with the parents allowing/pushing someone so young to play in the qualifier. I tend to agree with her.
[/quote]

Nobody complains when some 13 or 14 year old kids plays in the masters or in the mens Open. Girls got game nobody knows if her parents pushed her to do it or she wanted to do it on her own. From the way she has carried herself thus far its seems like something she wanted to do and is having a blast. For all we know her parents are supporting her dreams and ability. I hope she goes out there and puts up a single round better than Stacy (unlikely but i hope it happens)

[quote name='QMany' timestamp='1403100822' post='9523227']
What were her comments exactly regarding Li?
[/quote]

That she should win on every level before "getting beat up out here" (Thats verbatum). And basically she wouldnt let her kid attempt to qualify for an open at 11 and a bunch of negative mumbo jumbo. Even though Li Qualified for the US Womens Am last year as well match play in the US Womens Public Links (all while she is not eligible to play in AJGA events because she is under 12).

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/06/17/3944137/at-11-lucy-li-is-the-youngest.html

Just bits and pieces but the tone in the actual interview was very negative.

two words ...

MEOW

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Personally as a professional golf fan, it kind of cheapens the lpga a little when a 11 or 12 year girl can play in their open. I have an 11 year old and I wouldn't under any circumstance allow her to do this, her time will come if she so chooses. Right now my daughter has a hard time choosing what to wear every day much less if she has the mental and physical stamina to handle a US Open. I really and truly see no benefit for her to do this above and beyond her going and winning a Jr tournament. I think they should put an age limit on it like 14 or 15 maybe. I understand she played and won it's her right but it's not just about her, it's also about her playing partners, LPGA sponsors, her parents etc.. At the end of the day, it's not that big of deal but I completely understand Stacey's position. Your now opening the door for the little girls parents to think she's the greatest player ever and push her focus on golf instead of school and life. We've seen such a tragedy in the LPGA in the past year, it can easily turn into an obsession for the parent and tragedy for the kid. I'm not saying it will happen but it opens the door and let's be honest some parents can't handle it much less the kids.

[quote name='pazimmer.bama' timestamp='1403090516' post='9522021']
Anybody see Stacy Lewis's press conference for the Womens Open. She didnt have too many positive things to say regarding Li due to the fact of her being 11. I think when you win you sectional by 7 shots it doesnt matter how old you are, you got game.
[/quote]
I watched the interview......Where was the hating......WRX needs to post the meaning of the word hate on the top of their home page and make everyone that wants to join the forum, read and memorize it.

I watched it and definetly think she was taking the approach of " I wouldn't let my kid do this". I'm an 8th grade teacher and I'm amazed/saddened how much some parents push a sport on their kids. One girl plays on a travel softball team based 2 hours away. She misses a crapload of school and I wouldn't be shocked if she burns out before college. If my kids ever have a talent that can take them far, I will support them 100%, but I'll also make sure they still have a childhood Think about it, this girl can't even see a PG-13 movie without a parent or guardian!

Cobra F9 Speedback 9.5*
Ping G15 15.5*
Ping G 19*
Adams Idea Pro Black 9031 23*
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 5-AW
Ping Glide 2.0 54* SS
Taylormade Milled 58*
Taylormade Spider Tour

[quote name='wobgon' timestamp='1403102288' post='9523477']
[quote name='pazimmer.bama' timestamp='1403090516' post='9522021']
Anybody see Stacy Lewis's press conference for the Womens Open. She didnt have too many positive things to say regarding Li due to the fact of her being 11. I think when you win you sectional by 7 shots it doesnt matter how old you are, you got game.
[/quote]
I watched the interview......Where was the hating......WRX needs to post the meaning of the word hate on the top of their home page and make everyone that wants to join the forum, read and memorize it.
[/quote]

Pardon my use of slang. Here is the urban dictionary definition of "hating" that I was referring to http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hating

I just dont understant why the #1 player in the world would attempt to put a negative light on someone who a)qualified for an open championship (by 7 strokes to say the least) and b) and 11 year old girl who herself said she is out there to have fun, learn a lot from the pros, and could care less about the outcome. Isnt WRX constantly complaining about growing the game. As world #1 you should consider yourself and ambassador to the game. I think it stings a little that lewis played four years in college and has had to work extremely hard to get to where she is at and she is in a press conferecne at a US Open answering questions about an 11 year old. Sour grapes. The girl has game, if she wants to play she can play. We dont need all the speculation that her "parents are making her focus on golf" and all that bs because in nothing that I have seen or read has it said anything other than she picked up the game watching her brother at the driving range and she is there to have fun. Do you think an 11 year old that was being forced to play would be walking around the US Open grounds with a teddy bear or skipping through the fairway? I dont think so.

[quote name='pazimmer.bama' timestamp='1403101203' post='9523309']
Just bits and pieces but the tone in the actual interview was very negative.
[/quote]
Agree....her demeanor was negative.
It is not by chance or accident that Lewis's nickname in the LPGA folder iare Ms Pouty Face or SNaP.

SNaP just seems like a sore loser....remember what happen in Beijing.
SNaP's poor attitude in the 1st two matches at the 2011 Solheim.
SNaP whining about a ruling for a competitor (Ciganda?) after the match had ended to a RO at the 2013.

I'd love to see SNaP say face to face what she said in the presser to fellow pros....Lexi & Morgan...when they qualified for the USWO at age 12.

It's easy not to root for SNaP.

'That's the Spirit".....from her Marathon commercials.....LMAO.

I get what you all are saying, but there is absolutely now way my 11 year old would be out there (if I had one). I really get the feeling she was pushed into this, and if she does get beat up like Stacy says, that could end badly. A lot of really talented players burn out from too much pressure and too much golf at a young age. It's clear Lucy has talent, so I would really hate to see that happen.

The kid seems down to earth. To me it doesn't seem as if she's being "pushed". The kid is living the dream. Take it while you can because it can be taken from us at a moments notice.
Tired of people raising other peoples kids. So many kids are on the wrong path and here comes one that is doing something special and people mock her parents. But god forbid they mock the parents whos kids are on the street at all hours of the night, selling drugs, not going to school etc. they're afraid of what they will be labeled as if they do.

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='Big L' timestamp='1403103310' post='9523685']
I watched it and definetly think she was taking the approach of " I wouldn't let my kid do this". I'm an 8th grade teacher and I'm amazed/saddened how much some parents push a sport on their kids. One girl plays on a travel softball team based 2 hours away. She misses a crapload of school and I wouldn't be shocked if she burns out before college. If my kids ever have a talent that can take them far, I will support them 100%, but I'll also make sure they still have a childhood Think about it, this girl can't even see a PG-13 movie without a parent or guardian!
[/quote]

Which is all fine and dandy. Everyone is so quick to judge and assume that parents are always pushing them too far. How do you know that it is not what the kid wants? I had a bunch of friends who played on travel hockey teams growing up. They were gone a lot but it was what they WANTED to do. We still hung out and acted like kids but their parents gave them the choice and they chose to play. And most of the time the parents have to be equally if not MORE involved to make it happen in regards to buying equipment, lessons, practice, tournament fees, travel, lodging. It is a large commitment.

I have a young son (too young right now for golf but soon!!) and if it was something that he wanted to pursue I would 100% support that.

[quote name='bw2125' timestamp='1403103653' post='9523763']
I get what you all are saying, but there is absolutely now way my 11 year old would be out there (if I had one). I really get the feeling she was pushed into this, and if she does get beat up like Stacy says, that could end badly. A lot of really talented players burn out from too much pressure and too much golf at a young age. It's clear Lucy has talent, so I would really hate to see that happen.
[/quote]

Can you give any legitimate reason you would say no if your child (son or daughter) had the ability to qualify and wanted to do so?

I am not a Stacy Lewis fan but I like her a little more for speaking her mind on this. I am certain she is not the only LPGA player to feel this way, but the only one with enough guts to speak about it.

It is tough for female golfers. They get no respect as it is. So an 11-year old swooping into the biggest tournament of the year and stealing a lot of the spotlight cannot be good for the LPGA's overall product (yeah I know it's a USGA event and everything). If I were to guess that is at least one underlying motive for Stacy's rant.

In today's society we idolize youth for better or worse. Anything is good if it's "for the kids" and people who dare to criticize anything involving kids or for the good of kids are reflexively rebuked as being overly rigid and/or lacking in joy and I think the whole flap over this reflects this condition.

[quote name='bw2125' timestamp='1403103653' post='9523763']
[/quote]

It was pretty much the opposite. Her parents would let her go to the range except for short periods of time. They'd make her go home and she wouldn't want to because she was having fun. What's so wrong with an 11 year old wanting to have fun?

If any of your 11 year old daughters were gifted singers and offered the chance to sing the National Anthem at a baseball game, would you say no because she was too young? How about acting in a Broadway play or being on a TV show? Her goal this week is to have fun...as it should be.