2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Utah WRXers

Hey guys,

I'm moving to Utah for the first of September from Halifax, NS, Canada and the clubs will be one of the first pieces of equipment coming with us. Anyone around that plays regularly? What courses do pes everyone frequent and some of the nicer ones? I won't be employed but my wife will be so looking to connect with some folks to get out for some rounds! We're moving into a new construction area in Midvale,UT.

Cheers,

Mike

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='MikeMurrant' timestamp='1405885080' post='9742713']
Hey guys,

I'm moving to Utah for the first of September from Halifax, NS, Canada and the clubs will be one of the first pieces of equipment coming with us. Anyone around that plays regularly? What courses do pes everyone frequent and some of the nicer ones? I won't be employed but my wife will be so looking to connect with some folks to get out for some rounds! We're moving into a new construction area in Midvale,UT.

Cheers,
Mike
[/quote]

Hey Mike!

I live in Sandy, which is just a bit south of Midvale. I am in higher ed, so unfortunately don't get to play as much during the school year. If you're looking for courses to play I can definitely give you some tips and hopefully we can get out to play sometime!

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

[quote name='drewtaylor21' timestamp='1405887575' post='9742943']
[quote name='MikeMurrant' timestamp='1405885080' post='9742713']
Hey guys,

Cheers,
Mike
[/quote]

Hey Mike!

I live in Sandy, which is just a bit south of Midvale. I am in higher ed, so unfortunately don't get to play as much during the school year. If you're looking for courses to play I can definitely give you some tips and hopefully we can get out to play sometime!
[/quote]

That's understandable. Here in Halifax, the school year you can't really play golf anyways haha, but I guess down there you may luck in. I will definitely take you up on that offer, I've been researching some which are close by and seem nice, but would definitely love to hear from some locals! Will definitely have to get out to play. We're moving to Midvale just close to the local trax station near the new Staybridge Hotel.

Great to hear from ya!

[quote name='MikeMurrant' timestamp='1405896068' post='9743815']
That's understandable. Here in Halifax, the school year you can't really play golf anyways haha, but I guess down there you may luck in. I will definitely take you up on that offer, I've been researching some which are close by and seem nice, but would definitely love to hear from some locals! Will definitely have to get out to play. We're moving to Midvale just close to the local trax station near the new Staybridge Hotel.

Great to hear from ya!
[/quote]

The practice facility I use is about 10 minutes from that area. River Oaks GC. It's a nice public track. The course itself isn't my favorite, but the practice facility is pretty nice. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the quality and pricing of the public courses in the area. I think we are very spoiled, and we can play ~ 9.5 months a year.

Check out Stonebridge GC's players pass as well. http://www.golfstonebridgeutah.com/golf/player-s-pass

Makes good golf very affordable. The men's league out there is a lot of fun too. That's where I play the majority of my rounds.

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

I'm sure some other locals will chime in, but here are some of my favorite courses in the area:

Wingpointe
Hobble Creek
Old Mill
South Mountain
Wasatch Mountain Lake Course
Mountain Dell
Soldier Hollow (not necessarily favorite layout, but it's a beautiful area and the courses are high quality)
Talons Cove

Been wanting to play Thanksgiving point as well, as I hear it's a pretty nice course.

Anyway, that's a good start!

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

I was already looking into Stonebridge's Players Pass. I like the idea that it's good at 2 courses as well. It definitely makes golf very affordable. It's a little drive from Midvale but I suppose it's not too bad considering. I'm used to driving half hour to hour closest course in the city that I play at, for generally $50+ a round. Not including cart.

Thanks for all the input! Will definitely message you when we get to town.

[quote name='MikeMurrant' timestamp='1405902538' post='9744621']
I was already looking into Stonebridge's Players Pass. I like the idea that it's good at 2 courses as well. It definitely makes golf very affordable. It's a little drive from Midvale but I suppose it's not too bad considering. I'm used to driving half hour to hour closest course in the city that I play at, for generally $50+ a round. Not including cart.

Thanks for all the input! Will definitely message you when we get to town.
[/quote]

Yeah it's an incredible deal. The Ridge (sister course, included in pass) is fun but not quite the same caliber as Stonebridge. It's nice having 27 holes plus another 18 that you have access to though. You can get on anytime and Stonebridge is really only 20 minutes from where you'll be in Midvale.

Pretty much all the public courses in the area are ~ $30 to walk and usually in very good condition. Like I said, we're spoiled!

And yeah shoot me a PM when you guys get here and we can figure out a time to play. Enjoy the rest of summer up in NS!

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

You are in luck! You are moving to one of the best areas for golf in the country. Prices are low everywhere, there are too many courses for the population base, and some years you can play all year long without leaving town. I'm down in Utah county, my home course is Hobble Creek.Make sure you play all 6 of the fine State-owned courses. They are all worth playing. I recommend you don't get a pass until you see what courses you like. Everybody offers passes of some sort. And rates are competitive. When winter sets in, you can always drive 4 hours to St. George/Mesquite and play their dozens of courses.

My favorite courses are Birch Creek, Hobble Creek, Sand Hollow, Talon's Cove, Sunbrook, & Sky Mountain, but I have an affinity for the old style muni's like Rose Park as well. Sadly, the City wants to close many of them.

Look at Salt Lake County and Salt Lake City golf courses. Many have already been listed. I like the golf courses west of Salt Lake, Stansbury Park, championship course, and Overlake, links style. Both are about an hour out, but the wait times are short.

I, too, use River Oaks golf facility to practice. Good place and friendly people.

• 2 weeks later...

Agree on River Oaks for the practice facilities, during the week it's not too busy past 6:30-7:00.

Courses are priced well in Salt Lake County and if you have any time during the week there are some decent deals in the Utah PGA Pass Book. Can't beat the public tracks in Heber and Midway but those are a bit of a drive (around an hour +). There are some fun courses on Golfnow and Teeoff.com, as well as going to ksl.com/deals to find some.

Thanks for all the input everyone, seems like there are a lot of great people around, and tons of great courses. We fly down on August 24th and move into our place September 1st. The wife starts work the 25th in her new position, so I'll be filling some time then as I won't be working yet, so I'm trying to decide if the clubs will make the initial trip with me, or go with the movers!

[quote name='JBirdUt' timestamp='1407507288' post='9887267']
Utah is strange regarding fall golf. Course attendance really drops after Labor Day, obviously quicker rounds and less people.
[/quote]

I like to hear that. With having so few courses to choose from here in NS within the city etc.. they always get crazy backed up on weekends etc.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='JBirdUt' timestamp='1409440945' post='10037619']
Edwin Watts, formerly known as Uinta golf. One in sandy, 10800 South state. The other is around 600 east and 2100 south.
[/quote]

You mean Uinta golf, formerly known as Edwin Watts, formerly know as Uinta golf :)

Regardless, I concur!

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

[quote name='MikeMurrant' timestamp='1409361498' post='10033911']
Where are your guy's go to spots for equipment around here? I've checked out GG in Murray and wasn't very impressed.. especially for left handed clubs. Dicks.. well Dicks is Dicks. Are these the pretty much go to spots or is there a diamond in the rough around here?
[/quote]

I'm also LH in SLC and it's tough to find a decent selection. Haven't checked out Golf the Round but Uinta is prob. your best choice.

[quote name='JBirdUt' timestamp='1409667289' post='10049441']
One other place to look is River Oaks G.C. Proshop. Not a huge selection to try but can order just about anything.
[/quote]

The guys in the pro shop are awesome, some of the nicest I've met. Don't know any of them personally but they have always been accommodating when I go in.

[quote name='drewtaylor21' timestamp='1409453355' post='10038507']
[quote name='JBirdUt' timestamp='1409440945' post='10037619']
Edwin Watts, formerly known as Uinta golf. One in sandy, 10800 South state. The other is around 600 east and 2100 south.
[/quote]

You mean Uinta golf, formerly known as Edwin Watts, formerly know as Uinta golf :)

Regardless, I concur!
[/quote]

I think you mean Roger Dunn, formerly knows as Edwin Watts, formerly known as Uinta Golf. Seriously though, the Uinta near me in Orem is still signed as Edwin Watts Uinta Golf.

Public:
Hobble Creek
Wasatch Mountain
Park City
Valley View
Logan River

Private:
Promontory
Glenwild

Cobra Fly-Z+ Aldila UST V2
Golfsmith Jetstream 3W UST V2
Titleist 915H 3 Diamana

Titleist 915H 4 Diamana
Ben Hogan Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart
Titleist SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber
Cleveland HB 11S

SkyCaddie SX400

I have to wait for my car to get here.. Last update it was in Warren, MI about 25 hours NE of SLC. I'll be checking out some of the Unita locations once I'm mobile as I can't drive the wife's company car during work hours.

Once I'm fully mobile, anyone local up for a round maybe? Looks like some good fall temps around here.. Better than home anyways hah!

[quote name='MikeMurrant' timestamp='1409846457' post='10063683']
I have to wait for my car to get here.. Last update it was in Warren, MI about 25 hours NE of SLC. I'll be checking out some of the Unita locations once I'm mobile as I can't drive the wife's company car during work hours.

Once I'm fully mobile, anyone local up for a round maybe? Looks like some good fall temps around here.. Better than home anyways hah!
[/quote]

I am usually playing Stonebridge either Thursday or Friday most weeks, so if you're interested in heading out that way I'm usually in need of a playing partner!

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

[quote name='MikeMurrant' timestamp='1409850535' post='10064219']
Works for me!

Wanted to get out to that course, so it'll be good to have some local knowledge. Just don't kick my a** too bad LOL. Hopefully the car is here in the next few days! I hate, HATE being immobile.
[/quote]

Just shoot me a PM if you want to play. I'm going to try to get out Thursday mid morning next week if you wanna join. I'm in school-mode now, so the practice schedule and resulting level of play is nothing to brag about.... It's always fun to get out though, and I've never played with a WRX'er, so it should be a good time!

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

[quote name='MikeMurrant' timestamp='1409846457' post='10063683']

[/quote]

In general, you can play till thanksgiving at least, often into early December. Then throughout the winter it's touch and go, wait and see. Sometimes you can sneak a cold round in at the airport, or Tooele or Saratoga mid winter. On occasion I have driven to Delta or Wendover to get a round. Then it's St. George for the weekend and back.