Seniors Only. How far do you hit the ball?

I’m 63, in good health. I do NOT swing hard, I get better results with a full but controlled swing.

Excluding the exceptions with excessive rollout, tailwinds, elevation drops -, my 10.5* driver goes 240-250 yds including rollout. My 7-iron averaged 145 yds last season BUT that was a 35* loft. An M2 7-iron is 28.5* and many are 30-31* these days.

Sadly, comparing distance by club numbers has become almost pointless.

65 here. Don't know my swing speed but here's the club selection/distance. I can swing reg or senior flex with little to no noticeable distance, only feel. I only carry 8 clubs, BTW. I choke down or hit partial shots to cover the gaps.

Driver 200 ish

5w 165 - 175

5h 150

7i 140

9i 115

W 90

SW 60

Putter - 200 yards when the ground is hard and dry. ?

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

I hit the ball 350 yards!

With my Sand Wedge!!!

Oops, forgot where I was on the WRX site :taunt:

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

65 here. Don't know my swing speed but here's the club selection/distance. I can swing reg or senior flex with little to no noticeable distance, only feel. I only carry 8 clubs, BTW. I choke down or hit partial shots to cover the gaps.

Driver 200 ish

5w 165 - 175

5h 150

7i 140

9i 115

W 90

SW 60

Putter - 200 yards when the ground is hard and dry.

We're fairly similar for yardages give or take the differences in loft and shaft length between newer and older clubs. Eight clubs isn't a bad way to approach a round especially on a course you are familiar with. For me that has often resulted in carrying D, strong 7W, 5H, 6, 8, PW, SW & P. I started to carry again last year when I went with a short set in an ultra light stand bag. There's a certain convenience of not having to deal with a trolley.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

• 2 weeks later...

I was recently measured at 102 mph for the driver, with 233 carry and 244 overall. RPM of 3581 is too high. I'm 60, and ready to move to R shafts or firm.

Have you guys done so? Just got some irons with Project X LZ 5.5, and have also tried Dyanlite Gold R shafts. I think maybe a heavy (= more stiff) R shaft, with some launch capacity, as I've never been very high hitter. What say you seniors?

recent results: simply put, if you hit it square and straight you get the most distance, Dahhh!

whose gone from stiff to regular or firm shafts and what do you recommend ?? I know my stiff shaft days are numbered, except for wedges.

post-128438-0-93580800-1515856553_thumb.png

Driver 200 ish

5w 165 - 175

5h 150

7i 140

9i 115

W 90

SW 60

Putter - 200 yards when the ground is hard and dry. ��

We're fairly similar for yardages give or take the differences in loft and shaft length between newer and older clubs. Eight clubs isn't a bad way to approach a round especially on a course you are familiar with. For me that has often resulted in carrying D, strong 7W, 5H, 6, 8, PW, SW & P. I started to carry again last year when I went with a short set in an ultra light stand bag. There's a certain convenience of not having to deal with a trolley.

I too am thinking of going with 8 clubs. I like to carry my bag, and at my advanced age 14 is too heavy. lol

I am thinking 3 and 7 woods, 5 hybrid, 7, 9, Gap, LW, and putter.

Uh, here's another option.

A "vintage" pull cart to go with some "vintage" clubs used by a "vintage" player:

Now all you need is some vintage wine. :-)

And a VINTAGE woman...well, not TOO vintage...

Lol!

And more whine from the vintage women... :) :beach:

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

I hit the ball 350 yards!

With my Sand Wedge!!!

Oops, forgot where I was on the WRX site :taunt:

Well...if you blade it, it's possible.

Only off a cliff. ;)

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Uh, here's another option.

A "vintage" pull cart to go with some "vintage" clubs used by a "vintage" player:

Now all you need is some vintage wine. :-)

And a VINTAGE woman...well, not TOO vintage...

Lol!

And more whine from the vintage women... :) :beach:

Ha! Too funny Pepper. :-)

62yo

ss = 95mph

driver = 310

7i = 195

EDIT

(this includes rollout)

I need to play your golf course.

I’m 52 and have lost quite a bit over the last several years. I used to hit it 250ish so I was never real long but a bad back, broken ankle,tendinitis and last year open heart surgery have taken their toll. The biggest Problem is my back, some days I just can’t play others I am pretty good most of the round. My driver goes 200-225 carry depending on the day and my 7 iron from 140 to 150.

I hit it straight and have a solid short game, my handicap is 8.8 but was 6-7 most of my adult life. Some days I feel like I am bunting it around. I’d say I am very low handicap inside 100 yards and probably a 18 over 150. Doing things like hitting the ball from awkward stances and thick rough have become very problematic.

My real issue is every time I set my mind to exercise more my back flares up. I play golf with other people my age who hit it as long or longer than ever. Which is frustrating.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I’m fortunate. I’ve always been a pretty long hitter. I Just turned 50 and I’ve only lost a few miles per hour, mostly due to constant left shoulder tendinitis and a fractured pelvis form a motorcycle accident 3 1/2 years ago. 13 screws and 3 titanium plates and a year of rehab has fortunately only has taken about 5 MPH from my driver speed that I had 25 years ago.

Still average 110 mph and 265-270 carry. Still sneak past 300 with roll now and then.

7 iron (34*) carry is 173-175.

Very entertaining when I play as a single and I get paired up with 20 and 30 something’s and consistently outdrive them. That just never gets old. Really Hope I can keep that going a while longer. Joints are really starting to give me problems though. Rheumatoid arthritis runs in the family.

• 2 weeks later...

I will turn 60 this year and play a couple of times a month on the course I live on with a group of 10 to 16 golfers where I am one of the youngest. HC range for this group is 3 to 16. The age of the golfers range from 58 to 76.

We play in Missouri so a fair bit over sea level.

Some of the 7i distances I am seeing posted here just kill what I see on the course. It makes me think we are somehow not talking apples to apples? I just did a fitting and with Trackman my 6i swing speed averaged almost 86mph. My smash factor averaged 1.39, and hit 1.41 a fair number of times. I would expect my numbers to be at least average for my age but I am not even close to some of the numbers posted here.

A stock 7i for me is 160 yards on the course and that seems minimally 15 yards longer than the group as a whole. (The average I see from the group is probably around 135 guessing )

A stock Driver for me on the course is 250 to 270 total and that seems minimally about 40 to 50 yards longer than the group as a whole. (The average I see for the group is probably around 200 to 210 guessing).

Interesting thread.

I will add this. A couple of these guys have loaded their bags with hybrids and you better have your wallet handy if you give them 7 or 8 strokes. This Sunday I saw a net 31 and a net 30 lighten my wallet a bit :-) They usually don't care I am walking 50 yards past them after my drive nor how far I hit my 7i. From 160 yards they are smoothing a hybrid towards the pin!

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

I'm 68, feel 30, perform like maybe 55. I'm a 240-250 driver on a level, dry fairway. I'm also good with longer irons, so I am not afraid of short drives and long approaches. I feel my game is in good shape as long as I hit my 8-iron father than my 9-iron, my 7 past my 8, etc. If I'm missing putts because I can't see the ball, we have a problem, Houston.

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

TaylorMade Burner 3-wood and 5-wood REAX reg graphite

Mizuno MX-23 forged 5-PW, Mizuno forged SW, GW, LW

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot Rossie 36" --  Ball: TP5 X

• 2 weeks later...

I will turn 60 this year and play a couple of times a month on the course I live on with a group of 10 to 16 golfers where I am one of the youngest. HC range for this group is 3 to 16. The age of the golfers range from 58 to 76.

Some of the 7i distances I am seeing posted here just kill what I see on the course. It makes me think we are somehow not talking apples to apples? I just did a fitting and with Trackman my 6i swing speed averaged almost 86mph. My smash factor averaged 1.39, and hit 1.41 a fair number of times. I would expect my numbers to be at least average for my age but I am not even close to some of the numbers posted here.

A stock 7i for me is 160 yards on the course and that seems minimally 15 yards longer than the group as a whole. (The average I see from the group is probably around 135 guessing )

A stock Driver for me on the course is 250 to 270 total and that seems minimally about 40 to 50 yards longer than the group as a whole. (The average I see for the group is probably around 200 to 210 guessing).

Interesting thread.

I will add this. A couple of these guys have loaded their bags with hybrids and you better have your wallet handy if you give them 7 or 8 strokes. This Sunday I saw a net 31 and a net 30 lighten my wallet a bit :-) They usually don't care I am walking 50 yards past them after my drive nor how far I hit my 7i. From 160 yards they are smoothing a hybrid towards the pin!

That sounds about right to me. Similar six iron SS. But I'm at almost 4'000 of elevation where a stock sevenis roughly 170.

I would think you rarely play with anyone your age who is longer than you.

• 2 weeks later...

Age 65 and knackered,sore knees,bad foot,occasional back problems and rheumatoid arthritis.

Am amazed at some of the yardages but still believe it's a game of how straight or how close rather than how far.

Last weekend hit 4-iron to a foot on our par-3 16th,130-ish yards,cold air,wind and soggy green,at this time of year am always happy to hit too much club knowing that the layers of clothing and wet conditions will even things up.

Chatting to my pal in the locker room I was relating how much of a struggle it was to play a full 18 holes well and he asked what shoe size I wear.

9 1/2 I told him.

He advised me to buy a pair of size 8 1/2 on the basis that while not improving my golf the relief of taking them off at the end of the round would bring such bliss that all the other issues would be forgotten.

Interesting thread.

I read a Golf Digest article a while back that said, in part, those 60 and over average 196 yards off the tee, and 7-iron average is 133 yards.

I’m 52 and have lost quite a bit over the last several years. I used to hit it 250ish so I was never real long but a bad back, broken ankle,tendinitis and last year open heart surgery have taken their toll. The biggest Problem is my back, some days I just can’t play others I am pretty good most of the round. My driver goes 200-225 carry depending on the day and my 7 iron from 140 to 150.

I hit it straight and have a solid short game, my handicap is 8.8 but was 6-7 most of my adult life. Some days I feel like I am bunting it around. I’d say I am very low handicap inside 100 yards and probably a 18 over 150. Doing things like hitting the ball from awkward stances and thick rough have become very problematic.

My real issue is every time I set my mind to exercise more my back flares up. I play golf with other people my age who hit it as long or longer than ever. Which is frustrating.

I just started Super Speed training a couple of weeks ago, I have picked up a few MPH on my radar in that time, I haven't made it to the course yet because of the weather but I really feel like it's going to help me regain a few of the yards I have lost over the years. My goal is to get my actual CHS back up to around 100MPH again. If I can do that I feel like I can play with anyone on about any course under 7000 yards or so.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

• 1 month later...

Interesting thread.

I read a Golf Digest article a while back that said, in part, those 60 and over average 196 yards off the tee, and 7-iron average is 133 yards.

Bless you for posting this,I was becoming rather depressed reading about the 270 yard drives and 170 yard 7-irons,in play I reckon my driver maxes out at about 225 and a 7-iron is a club for shots from 8 yards to 130-ish.

I never play with a full set and am considering the Gloria Minoprio route of one club,maybe a 4-iron,just for the craic.