Seniors Only. How far do you hit the ball?

That sounds like my chum 'Good' Evans,can give it a fair tonk with a driver but totally clueless as to how far or which way,he's such a nice bloke,full of enthusiasm for his golf,I'm always happy to act as his 'spotter' when we play together.

I too can track my ball flight,only way I hit it out of sight these days is to shut my eyes and run backwards.

28 degree 7 iron 150 if swinging well that day easy 160.

15 degree 3 wood usual 195 with roll.

44 degree Pitching Wedge 115.

10.5 degree Driver 195 if I'm lucky so I Tee off with 3 wood or 22 degree 4 iron.

Tried different drivers. Big head, small head, shorter shaft doesn't seem to matter. Oh sure, I've hit a few 235 yard but there is no possible way to depend on it.

28 degree 7 iron 150 if swinging well that day easy 160.

15 degree 3 wood usual 195 with roll.

44 degree Pitching Wedge 115.

10.5 degree Driver 195 if I'm lucky so I Tee off with 3 wood or 22 degree 4 iron.

Tried different drivers. Big head, small head, shorter shaft doesn't seem to matter. Oh sure, I've hit a few 235 yard but there is no possible way to depend on it.

Like the way you reference the loft of the club you're hitting, that is helpful, thanks. For eg I think my 7 iron is 38 degrees, I can't hit that 150 yards any more.

I play in alot of senior touranments. Some of you should play in them. I don't see anyone hitting as far as some of you.

What type of senior tournaments are you referring to? Regional Tournaments in CA seniors still hit the ball pretty darn good. Not so much the case in local senior men's club events.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

I was @ Haggin Oaks last week on Track Man and 10.5 M3 clocked out at 277, 7 iron carried 153. Now I go out to the range with the same clubs and 250 with the M3 was a challenge... so I;m sayin 249.5 yrd

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

Ok, I have made fun of this Thread but now will add something non-frivolous...

Since last August's emergency surgery to repair a badly perforated gastric ulcer I have lost 20lbs, come off metformin as I am now below the diabetic threshold. I have improved my blood pressure and cholesterol numbers, and in general am now feeling better than I have in many years. As I feel better, I am able to do more. As I do more I feel better and... on we go.

Now starting just a few weeks back I was playing with my wife (GOLF you dirty minded ruffians) and on the 3rd hole (don't go there) I unleashed (for me) a big drive of right around 225 yards (go ahead and laugh if you must.) Now due to ill health and a bad back and knees I hadn't been driving the ball much over 185 yards for several years. I would have thought it a fluke had I not hit several more like it in that round, several more in the next round, and...

It isn't an every drive occurrence now but I can honestly say it's pretty common and I've had a couple of over 240 yards now. Along with that all my clubs down the line have seen a proportional distance increase. So obviously better overall health does lead to better golf. I understand that that's simply common sense but I'm certainly happy to be feeling better, being healthier, and having the added bonus of playing the best golf I've played in 8 years.

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Good for you Tim. All the best as you continue trending in a positive direction with your health. No smirks from me on 225+ drives, I'd be very happy to achieve those on a consistent basis. You'll have to gear back when you get around to taking the Magnums afield. Beast mode. :bb2:

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

You give me something to look forward to, Tim! Well done! :good:

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

OK, I'm 71 now!!, a retired LD competitor, which has made my back like mush from all the practice time hitting 300 or so full out drivers 3 times a week. I can still get it out there about 280 on a good day( after the meds kick in, can't play without them). I am still very strong & still swing very hard. In the last 15 years, I have lost anywhere from 60 to 80 yards on my drives & it sucks even though for my age I am still considered a long hitter.

Reality check when I faced the music today.

I was not going to get on the golf course until the soft turf from all the rain improved but..... Got a notice from the golf course app for green fees under $20 ( $15 + tax + city admission tax = $17.45 walking rate ). Weather temperature is supposed to hit low 60°F and off I go .

Teamed up with a twosome and a single. The single was traveling from 20+ miles away ( 70+ min driving in the traffic ) and the twosome was from across the lake maybe 18 miles away ( 40+ min in traffic ). So the first thing the single said to the group was, I just started playing golf about a year ago and I'm a short knocker so excuse me for playing from the white tee ( he had never played the golf course ever, according to him ). I had convinced him that the blue tee is the old white tee since the adding on the Black tee at the tip to replace the old blue tee, so we could all play from the same tee box. Which is true for today's tee marks the white and the blue essentially just yards apart for the most of the holes.

The twosome said they are rusty and had not played much because of work ( both are CPA, working 14 hour day 6 days per week for the last 3 months , and that's how a big accounting firm milk the new graduates, get them on fixed salary pay scale then work them to death ).

Off the first tee, the single hit a big slice and landed close to the fairway bunker ( marked 262 yards from the blue tee ), the first of the twosome hit a fade and just short of the bunker then the second of the twosome hit a towering drive way pass the bunker. Me ? I thought that I hit a nice drive right down the middle. Walked up to the golf balls and I was like 40+ yards behind the longest drive and behind the rest of the two hit to the right side. No one gets much rolling out at all from the drive , basically it was all carry and mine had a pitch mark a few feet in front of the golf ball.

So I asked the longest driver immediately after he took his second shot from 270 yards away with a 3 iron ( which he said he chunked it, ended up 45 yards short ), just what is his handicap index...... He answered. 1.6 and he won't play like it today because he is rusty....

The truth was, he is 27 and his buddy 26 and the single paired with us is 25. The 1.6 index holder also told me that he qualified for stage 1 and two of the U.S. amateur several years ago, played for his high school team but never played college golf. Besides the point, I was the shortest guy in the group today. I had excuses also, plenty of them but never had I been in a group of walked ons being the shortest hitter in any group. I have to bow down to young age and admit that I'm not the same golfer even from a few years ago.

One of the guy I know well told me this after I story the round of today to him. He said, you had been playing with us senior too long and you felt like a pro when you played with us .........

SIGH ! I had to find another driver like those kids were using, M2 with X stiff Project X Hzrdux. Honestly LOL. Don't think I could buy a game like that.

I play in a senior men's league. I'm the youngest guy. There are only 4 of us under 70 I believe. They all seem to think that I hit the ball a long way, but I'm not close to the longest in our group and that was last year before my back went out completely last fall. I fully expect to be ~20 yards shorter off the tee this year and a good club less for everything else. I'll probably be a whole lot closer to the average guy in our group now than I was. May have to rejig the golf bag a bit, but I'll manage. That said, it will be senior tees exclusively for me from now on.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Since last August's emergency surgery to repair a badly perforated gastric ulcer I have lost 20lbs, come off metformin as I am now below the diabetic threshold. I have improved my blood pressure and cholesterol numbers, and in general am now feeling better than I have in many years. As I feel better, I am able to do more. As I do more I feel better and... on we go.

Now starting just a few weeks back I was playing with my wife (GOLF you dirty minded ruffians) and on the 3rd hole (don't go there) I unleashed (for me) a big drive of right around 225 yards (go ahead and laugh if you must.) Now due to ill health and a bad back and knees I hadn't been driving the ball much over 185 yards for several years. I would have thought it a fluke had I not hit several more like it in that round, several more in the next round, and...

It isn't an every drive occurrence now but I can honestly say it's pretty common and I've had a couple of over 240 yards now. Along with that all my clubs down the line have seen a proportional distance increase. So obviously better overall health does lead to better golf. I understand that that's simply common sense but I'm certainly happy to be feeling better, being healthier, and having the added bonus of playing the best golf I've played in 8 years.

:hi:

A few years ago I had a heart attack...and it was a near thing. Sure I work on my game and want to get better, but I am just grateful to be able to play and give a nod to the gods every time I tee it up on the first hole.

OK, I'm 71 now!!, a retired LD competitor, which has made my back like mush from all the practice time hitting 300 or so full out drivers 3 times a week. I can still get it out there about 280 on a good day( after the meds kick in, can't play without them). I am still very strong & still swing very hard. In the last 15 years, I have lost anywhere from 60 to 80 yards on my drives & it sucks even though for my age I am still considered a long hitter.

For any age you are a long hitter. According to TrackMan golf, the average drive for those 60 and over is 196 yards, and 217 for those under 60.

My drives average about 230 yds, but yesterday I was putting for eagle on a 515 yd par 5. My 2nd shot,a 4w, was from 245 out. My putt was approx 20 ft, good attempt,but just missed on the low side. Made the birdie putt,though. Sometimes my drives are very good, but a situation like this isn't the most common occurrence.?

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

A few years ago I had a heart attack...and it was a near thing. Sure I work on my game and want to get better, but I am just grateful to be able to play and give a nod to the gods every time I tee it up on the first hole.

Sean2,

The line I give folks is...

"Well, as long as I'm looking at my divot from the right side of the grass."

Be Well,

Tim

67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Sean2,

The line I give folks is...

"Well, as long as I'm looking at my divot from the right side of the grass."

Be Well,

Tim

Ha! I think of looking down at the grass and not up at it. :-)

Turned 63 last month, so does that classify me as a Sr yet? :)

Been away from the game for a bit, but played my first full round last week. And stopped at a Van's to get some idea of my numbers now.

I can still get a driver (G30 w/ 44" whiteboard flowerband stiff) out past 270, but barely unless I hit a patch of dirt or something. Carry is about 250-255 on a well struck shot. I don't remember the numbers but most were around or just over 95. Nothing over 100 any more. :(

The 7 iron won't go past 180 anymore unless I really stand on it. A more comfortable swing gets it out there about 172-175. This a Ping i E1 with a Recoil 670 f4 shaft. According to the guys at Vans the launch monitor was calibrated for sea level.

I have a very nice semi-private little club close to where I live now, and even though I'm on a very small budget because of the forced early retirement, I hope to play for at least the next ten years. Maybe longer. None of the guys I've met so far will play from the tips (7100 and change) with me though. :(

I'm going to enjoy it while I can though, because it won't be long before I have to start moving up to the white tees.

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60

You're still killing it as I moved up FROM the Whites some time ago on all but the shorter courses.

Must have been something in the air as the driving distance has fallen back to around 200 to 210 with nothing over 225.

Still playing the best golf I've played in probably 10 years.

Still loving it!

I played my second full round today. :)

On one hole I had 150yds to the center of the green, according to my touchscreen skycaddie. So I though I'd see just how far I can hit a 9 iron since now I'm a couple thousand feet lower than what I was in CO.

I will admit that I did stand on it, but not to the point where I lost my balance or anything. Landed just right of the flag, in the center of the green. I then hit another ball with a smoother, more relaxed swing and dropped it in the fringe just short of the green.

So I now know my 140-150 club is my 9 iron. This getting older stuff su...err...stinks. ;)

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19

I would reckon at least 80 + % of the Senior golfing community would be happy with using a 9 iron from that distance. What loft?

I've not put it on my loft/lie machine, but it's a Ping i E1 white dot with standard length Recoil graphite shaft. According to Ping it should be 41 degrees.

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19

• 2 weeks later...

On one hole I had 150yds to the center of the green, according to my touchscreen skycaddie. So I though I'd see just how far I can hit a 9 iron since now I'm a couple thousand feet lower than what I was in CO.

I will admit that I did stand on it, but not to the point where I lost my balance or anything. Landed just right of the flag, in the center of the green. I then hit another ball with a smoother, more relaxed swing and dropped it in the fringe just short of the green.

So I now know my 140-150 club is my 9 iron. This getting older stuff su...err...stinks. ;)

Passive brag alert! ?

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

Passive brag alert!

How is this bragging?

There are youngsters out there launching PWs over 150 yds., at sea level. That's a full-on, step-on-the-gas 8 iron for me. With a perfect strike.

I've always been a bit longer distance-wise than average, and while 150 yds. at 3000+ feet with a 9 iron is nothing to be ashamed of for a guy my age (63), it's certainly nothing to brag about. IMO anyway.

Or am I missing something here? ;)

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19

JP figures when his distance has atrophied he would use the newer jacked irons like jpx hot metals or whatever is current then.

Not so sure if that’d resolve wood distance issues....he kind of expects he’d become one of these oldsters who are deadly from 120...played with those sorts...

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3