Gun Question

Anti gun folks always take the stance that we should punish the majority for the acts of the minority. One issue is that the media does not every talk about crimes that were avoided due to citizens carrying weapons. I'm pro gun, but I'm also pro making it harder to get one.... but for that to happen, labels need to be applied.

However, we have a society that's deathly afraid to put a label on someone because it might hurt their feelings. People with severe mental problems, like most of the shooters as of late, either had warning signs or had been in counseling, yet people made the choice not to give them the label that would've prevented them from buying. Or a parent wants to believe their child is alright and gives them access to weapons when they know they shouldn't.

Then you have the people that don't bring the proper charges against people who commit crimes that typically lead down the path to becoming a violent criminal. They cross their fingers and hope the affected person finds a better path. Or we throw our hands up and make it so that the violent crime must be committed instead of empowering police to try to be preventative, which always leads to shouts of racism and profiling.

So let's get people to actually start doing their jobs, and the existing gun laws, for the most part, will start working. Now, the personal sale one at gun shows is a bit murky to me, but that can be for another post.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Johnny4379' timestamp='1407338545' post='9870487']

The second amendment was adopted during a time that there weren't some of the things we have going on today.[/quote] So was the first amendment. Surely the founding fathers didn't imagine a world with people bookfacing every 2 seconds. Maybe it's time we get rid of free speech too...

[quote name='RookieBlue7' timestamp='1407327186' post='9868959']
Not to mention restricting freedom people bled and died to protect. Carrying puts no one at risk without the person that is carrying being mentally unstable and having an intent to cause harm. A gun isn't jumping out of a holster or out of anyone's pocket and shooting anyone on it's own. Target said firearms aren't welcome, I've carried mine in there at least a dozen times since then and it's yet to jump out of the IWB holster and shoot anyone on it's own. Guns aren't the reason for crimes with guns. People with issues having a gun causes crime, but It's the person, not the gun that does the damage. A gun is a tool, just like a golf club is a tool. They do nothing without the person connected to them causing it. And that, kids, is how I make it stay on topic about golf as well lol.
[/quote]

Many of your points about carrying are well made, but nobody died and bled so that people can openly carry their gun in aisle 12 of target or a grocery store. I have no problem with people who want to carry their gun to protect themselves on the rare instance that they need to. I don't like guns, but hey if you're going to have one then thats what you should use it for. I don't think carrying an extra mag and two knives to go about your daily life is necessary in the least bit. I do think that it makes sense to limit the damage that someone can do who isn't planning to use a gun(s) responsibly. I don't think banning extended mags and certain types of weapons that nobody would ever conceivably need is an attempt to take away constitutional rights. I'm glad that the mods are keeping this thread open, this can be a pretty good discussion if both sides of the argument stay civilized, haha.

[quote name='SuperTwi' timestamp='1407340636' post='9870763']
And anyone who thinks that eliminating the resource one by one and or making it so friggin hard for anyone to make a gun or build a gun wouldn't be beneficial to us as a society as a whole is an idiot.
[/quote]
That just might be the most asinine comment I have read in all of internet land. I would love to hear your plan to "eliminate" one by one all the millions of firearms owned by law abiding citizens. I guess we could follow what has been done in history to get firearms out of the publics hands. There's a guy named Hitler who tried that, maybe you've heard of him?

And the argument that the second amendment is outdated is ridiculous. Did we have twitter, Facebook, the media as a whole we have now, back when the first amendment was written? Maybe we should ban free speech as well since society has moved forward...

[quote name='theclubsfault' timestamp='1407304172' post='9868279']
[quote name='esquireking' timestamp='1407296125' post='9867685']
I personally carry concealed and carry for work as well but this is just an example of what I carry daily. Depending on what I'm doing for the day the load out may change but I always feel comfortable and am always in a state of readiness.
[/quote]

No offense but I think your first load out picture is part of the problem with people hating gun owners in this country. They think we are loaded to the gills with weapons 24/7. You are carrying a glock, extra mag, and not one but two knives, and a flashlight. That freaks people out who are uncomfortable around guns. I know plenty of guys who had to carry everyday in the sandbox and could care less whether they are carrying back home. That kind of changed my perspective on carrying a bit.

Realistically the probability of needing a gun, much less the second mag, is so remote it is barely worth the effort of carrying a gun around. (I know, if it saves your life it is worth it. That is a tough one to argue). I would bet the likelihood that a person goes through two mags and gets down to hand-to-hand knife combat is even lower. I understand if you are going to a REALLY rough area, or live in one, your chances of needing it go up. Rough area or not, I still don't think the likelihood of getting down to knives is very high.

Don't get me wrong, I totally believe in the 2nd Amend. and have no serious qualms with you, your carrying guns or knives. It is your right to do so. I am right with you on the second amendment. I keep my glock within arms reach of me at night. However, during the day I have stopped carrying because I realized I am not living in the Gaza Strip here (except for south Chicago, those people need guns to walk to their neighbor's house). Anyway I don't know where else to go with this so enjoy those rambling gun thoughts... It is late.
[/quote]

I live in Texas. We're a concealed carry state, and almost everyone I know does carry, including me. It doesn't make me uncomfortable. Actually, it's the opposite. It makes me very comfortable knowing if some nut case starts shooting in a crowd, he's gonna be taken out.

What is crazy to me is that our country finds gun carriers to be uncomfortable, but then when two men get married, they find that to be natural and they get celebrated in the media and even commented on encouragingly by the president. I'm so glad I live in texas where guns are normal, men can't marry each other, and women killing their unborn children is nearly impossible, due to new credentialing laws.

The mods may ban me for this, because now in our country, you re not allowed to say you disagree with same sex marriage or abortion. If you do, you get silenced.

Driver: Ping G25

4w & 7w: Ping G25

23° Hybrid: Ping G25

5i - pw: Mizuno MP64

54° & 58°: Cleveland RTX 4 raw

Putter: The Wilson 8802 (vintage model)

Ball:  Titleist Pro V1x
Bag: Original Jones Golf Bag (green)

[quote name='rabbit111' timestamp='1407336656' post='9870243']
You guys are kidding right? Here in Australia since we tightened our gun laws not once has there been a massacre. I understand how you say it's your right but if it's everyone's right to feel safe without carrying, wouldn't that be better? The harder it is to get one the safer the rest feel. Get over yourself the fact that you aren't the bad person cause it is too easy for that bad person to carry a firearm.
[/quote]

It's a right given to us by our constitution.

Driver: Ping G25

4w & 7w: Ping G25

23° Hybrid: Ping G25

5i - pw: Mizuno MP64

54° & 58°: Cleveland RTX 4 raw

Putter: The Wilson 8802 (vintage model)

Ball:  Titleist Pro V1x
Bag: Original Jones Golf Bag (green)

[quote name='ATGANI' timestamp='1407320853' post='9868631']
As someone from Europe where the only guns we see are mostly in American movies.. (tongue in cheek here guys!) Im just curious... How do you carry all this gear? Is it with the holster under on your body or on a belt? I'm just trying to visualize how this goes down. My work often brings me to Houston, but I have never seen one of the guys is work with concealing a firearm during a meeting or so. Isn't it uncomfortable to have to carry it around all the time?

Just serious interested questions guys, I have no feelings whatsoever about your 2nd amendment, as I'm not American and I don't live in America and are far too uneducated about the gun situation in the states to have a well founded opinion about it. I can imagine that guns are a hobby in themselves (i find them interesting, that's for sure), but can also think it's a burden having to carry it around all the time?

And yeah, the pictures from Esquireking come across - for me - as Charles Bronson in Death Wish
[/quote]

Regarding your question about comfort and logistics, I think you would be surprised how comfortable they make IWB(Inside Waist Band) holsters. The holsters pictured are worn on the belt inside the pants. The ones in esquireking's pictures are probably pretty comfortable(I have a similar holster not as nice but it has basically the same clips). Also, when you have the desire to carry you can become comfortable with just about anything.

Per your second question, yes I believe it can be a burden to carry all the time. Not so burdensome because of weight but because of restrictions here on where you can and cannot take guns. The places I have always worked have strict requirements about guns on the property much less inside of buildings. Most every one of those places has a metal detector, large police presence, or electronic security doors with bulletproof glass, etc. For me to bring one of my guns and leave it in my car on the property would be a pointless violation of the ordinances/laws here. In my situation I would have to take substantial steps and incur more expenses to to avoid breaking the law. My gun would continuously have to be removed, locked, then replaced multiple times throughout the day. Not to mention the travel time to my vehicle sometimes at weird hours might subject me to more dangerous conditions. Anyway, for some it is just not feasible to wear throughout the day but it is a fun and expensive hobby. Hope that helps answer your questions.

Oh and btw about it being a hobby, people buy sell and trade guns like some of the major WRX club hos. For just as much if not larger chunks of change.

[quote name='mnplayer' timestamp='1407352856' post='9872921']
[quote name='RookieBlue7' timestamp='1407327186' post='9868959']
Not to mention restricting freedom people bled and died to protect. Carrying puts no one at risk without the person that is carrying being mentally unstable and having an intent to cause harm. A gun isn't jumping out of a holster or out of anyone's pocket and shooting anyone on it's own. Target said firearms aren't welcome, I've carried mine in there at least a dozen times since then and it's yet to jump out of the IWB holster and shoot anyone on it's own. Guns aren't the reason for crimes with guns. People with issues having a gun causes crime, but It's the person, not the gun that does the damage. A gun is a tool, just like a golf club is a tool. They do nothing without the person connected to them causing it. And that, kids, is how I make it stay on topic about golf as well lol.
[/quote]

Many of your points about carrying are well made, but nobody died and bled so that people can openly carry their gun in aisle 12 of target or a grocery store. I have no problem with people who want to carry their gun to protect themselves on the rare instance that they need to. I don't like guns, but hey if you're going to have one then thats what you should use it for. I don't think carrying an extra mag and two knives to go about your daily life is necessary in the least bit. I do think that it makes sense to limit the damage that someone can do who isn't planning to use a gun(s) responsibly. I don't think banning extended mags and certain types of weapons that nobody would ever conceivably need is an attempt to take away constitutional rights. I'm glad that the mods are keeping this thread open, this can be a pretty good discussion if both sides of the argument stay civilized, haha.
[/quote]

Yes, many have died protecting our freedoms. Tell that to my buddy at work that had an IED go off and injure him and kill his spotter in Iraq. He was protecting the nation from terrorism, and as such, protecting the constitution. Tell that to the soldiers, such as my grandfather, that capitalized on one mistake by Hitler's military that is the only reason Americans aren't speaking German today. By protecting this country, soldiers are protecting our freedoms, one of which is the right to bear arms.

As far as extended mags, I own 15 of them for Glocks and several others for AR's. They're fun to take to the range because you don't need to reload as often. But are they necessary? Some will argue that no, we don't need them. Try telling that to Korean business owners in Koreatown that protected their businesses with Mini-14's when the LAPD abandoned them during the riots and looting. Or to the gentleman in Texas that protected his home and property with an AR as well.

More crimes are prevented by privately owned firearms in the Us annually than are prevented by law enforcement. Look at Kennesaw, GA for example. They enacted a law that every homeowner must own a firearm. The violent crime rate dropped by nearly 80% the year it was enacted and has stayed low.

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

Topic goes way beyond the scope of golf and is also treading into politics territory. Please keep your political leanings and commentary to yourself here at WRX.

There are probably hundreds of other websites on which you may discuss your "bug out bags", the 2nd amendment, and crime statistics. Please do so there and not here.

Thanks.

It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf. -Robert Wilson Lynd