No new acquistions...?

Fantastic! Me want. What do you think is up with the H stamped beside the red and blue lines on the irons?

I was hoping Hogan ;)

I knew you were going to say that. Lol

Why not?

It's a gorgeous set. What are you going to do for a putter, wedge(s), and bag?

I was hoping I could find a matching Equalizer, but after speaking with a few other Hoganista’s it seems the long hosel model might be pretty hard to find. I have a refinished set of 57’s already so I could use the Equalizer from that set for the time being. I’m hoping to find a long hosel Equalizer at some point though.

As for a bag and putter, I still roll my H&B Mars 70 but I don’t have any vintage bags.

Found these today regular shaft. Have only seen one other vip club at GW.

Richard 77-

Any chance you might be willing to part with the two VIP irons you just found? I was getting ready to post to the "Missing X iron from my set" thread about my interest in finding a VIP 5 iron that matches the one you just found.

It turns out that I have a nearly full set of VIP's, with regular shafts nonetheless, that is only missing the 5 and 7. I recently tracked down a 7 iron head, but have been waiting to assemble the club until I find a matching 5 iron. If you have any interest in selling the two you just found, I would be very interested. Thanks again.

Dave

Yesterday I acquired this complete set of clubs (2H-SW). I love them! :)

The problem is that I don't know anything about them except the brand and model hahahaha

What do you think about them? Does anybody have information about these irons? I think they are from the early 70s but not sure yet...

Thanks in advance!

Found these today regular shaft. Have only seen one other vip club at GW.

Is that a full set? Unusual to see a stock set with regular shafts

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

My grail set arrived today. 1955 Hogan Precision full set 1,2,3,4 woods and 2-9 irons. All original and matching serial numbers. I'm so stoked to have this set.

I am jealous those look so much better than mine---- but then again LOL they are maybe TOO nice for me--- I like my rust and patina junkyard specials

Richard-

"I also found a left hand Hogan Riviera 56 sand wedge. Didn’t buy . I haven’t seen much left hand interest."

And you won't.

Most LH golfers will go for the new PING, Titleist or Callaway, because of who plays and wins with these brands on Tour.

Otherwise, it's RH Only. The "new" Ben Hogan Golf company took 5 years before they made LH irons, and Equalizer wedges.

While the LH Ben Hogan Riviera and Carnoustie Wedges are serviceable, they didn't command " Equalizer" value.

Forged or Cast- Who cares- What's PHIL using? Clevelands, Mizunos, Bridgestones, TaylorMades, Srixons, Wilsons, Rams etc.,

LH Wilson R61 Sandy Andy, anyone? (Nope- Don't bother looking.)

Not much interest?

Not much in LH Hogan putters either, though some are Bettinardis.

Richard-

"The shaft is the engine in the golf club. Get fitted with the correct shaft FIRST."

There's a reason Ben Hogan EDGE irons were their best selling model 30 years ago, yet-.

Hogan himself didn't care much for "..any (expletive deleted) irons with a hole in the head. "

It's the reason the Jeff Sheets "Blade on Blade" designed '99 Ben Hogan forged irons look the way they do. (Yes- RH Only.)

Though Ben Hogan had left this world, those who remained at the Ben Hogan Golf Company were adamant about one thing-

"Ben Hogan's name WAS NOT going to be on ANY Cavity-back iron".

The details are in Jeff Sheets personal design log about the process through an address I am not allowed to give on Golfwrx.

20+ years later, it's still a good read, with a few photos and drawings.

Rex, your mentioning of the Sandy Andy caused me to remember that I thrifted one a couple of weeks back. Thought it may be original ('61 ?), but wasn't sure. Haven't looked in Kaplan, but has the look. It's really heavy, compared to more contemporary wedges.

And would agree with your assessment to Richard. Skip the Rivera, Carnoustie, Colonial. IIRC, one was forged the others cast. But don't remember which was which. Find a Hogan Sand Iron, Special K grind, becu SI. The wedges introduced at the same time as the '99 Apex (lofts and bounce stamped on the head as a model number) are good as well. Fan of these older Hogan wedges. They have a near perfect weight and feel to them.

The Sandy Andy. Haven't got around to cleaning it up. Decent shape considering its age and conditions where its utilized.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Pretty confident this brand is a first in this thread. Evansgolf was started in the very early 80s by John Evans, an Australian pro who has lived in New Zealand for many years. Was active in the Australian PGA for quite a while. He doesn’t do clubs anymore. I’m friends with him on Facebook and follow him on twitter and he’s confirmed that these clubs were forged in Japan at Kansai, which is where Mizuno were/are made, so pretty good lineage there. Thin top line, sightly longer blade, pretty sweet muscleback and a hint of offset. Can’t wait to hit them :)

Shafts are ‘Union’ which according to John are a Brunswick product. Anyone know anything about them?

Pretty confident this brand is a first in this thread. Evansgolf was started in the very early 80s by John Evans, an Australian pro who has lived in New Zealand for many years. Was active in the Australian PGA for quite a while. He doesn’t do clubs anymore. I’m friends with him on Facebook and follow him on twitter and he’s confirmed that these clubs were forged in Japan at Kansai, which is where Mizuno were/are made, so pretty good lineage there. Thin top line, sightly longer blade, pretty sweet muscleback and a hint of offset. Can’t wait to hit them :)

Shafts are ‘Union’ which according to John are a Brunswick product. Anyone know anything about them?

That's a nice looking muscle back.

I have never hit a Hogan iron to my knowledge. . Always heard Hogan’s were too hard to hit and too expensive to buy.

The reason I did not hit them back in the day was because I did not like the funky looking underslung hosel. If you read the article Fella linked to you can understand the engineering concept. Still does not make me like them any more. The only Hogan irons I like now are the Precisions , The Grinds and the 99 Apex. None of those have the "funky hosel". Hogan wedges are another matter they produces some great wedges and I will venture they were the first company offering various grinds and bounces. A lot of not hitting them back in the day for me was not a lot of exposure in my area. Most of the pros and hustlers I dealt with in my area growing up hit Spalding Macgregor or Wilson. Now eastern NC was another story that was Hogan country with a strong dealer base. For some reason that he never stated my old man had a strong dislike for Mr Hogan. I guess that was one of the reasons he never sold Hogan equipment. Now his friend and fellow Pro in Greenville NC was a Hogan man period. In fact that guy was the one that sent my old man a copy of the letter when Mr Hogan threatened his dealers for putting Apex shafts in non Hogan clubs> Which my old man found very amusing. I remember him saying anyone that messed up a perfectly good set of Macgregors or Spaldings by putting Apex shaft in them was a :censored2: idiot. He probably rolled in his grave 3 times when I started putting Apex shafts in Macgregors a couple of years ago. I only saw 2 bastardized sets ( as my old man called them) in my area one was a set of 53 Top Flites and the other set was a set of M-85 Colorkromes. Mitchell tells me there were quite a few Apex conversions in the Raleigh/ Durham area in those days.

Rex, your mentioning of the Sandy Andy caused me to remember that I thrifted one a couple of weeks back. Thought it may be original ('61 ?), but wasn't sure. Haven't looked in Kaplan, but has the look. It's really heavy, compared to more contemporary wedges.

And would agree with your assessment to Richard. Skip the Rivera, Carnoustie, Colonial. IIRC, one was forged the others cast. But don't remember which was which. Find a Hogan Sand Iron, Special K grind, becu SI. The wedges introduced at the same time as the '99 Apex (lofts and bounce stamped on the head as a model number) are good as well. Fan of these older Hogan wedges. They have a near perfect weight and feel to them.

The Sandy Andy. Haven't got around to cleaning it up. Decent shape considering its age and conditions where its utilized.

There must have been 20 gillion of those things in my area back in the day. They were good out of those brick mason sand traps we had on the public courses. All the weekend warriors had one or a R-90. I bet my old man sold 100 of them at our course when he was a Wilson dealer. When I say brick mason sand traps that was what kind of sand that was in them the same stuff brick masons used to make mortar out of. I remember as a kid one of the weekend warriors was a brick mason by trade and he said one day on our 7 th hole " man the mortar I could make here".

I have never hit a Hogan iron to my knowledge. . Always heard Hogan’s were too hard to hit and too expensive to buy.

The reason I did not hit them back in the day was because I did not like the funky looking underslung hosel. If you read the article Fella linked to you can understand the engineering concept. Still does not make me like them any more. The only Hogan irons I like now are the Precisions , The Grinds and the 99 Apex. None of those have the "funky hosel". Hogan wedges are another matter they produces some great wedges and I will venture they were the first company offering various grinds and bounces. A lot of not hitting them back in the day for me was not a lot of exposure in my area. Most of the pros and hustlers I dealt with in my area growing up hit Spalding Macgregor or Wilson. Now eastern NC was another story that was Hogan country with a strong dealer base. For some reason that he never stated my old man had a strong dislike for Mr Hogan. I guess that was one of the reasons he never sold Hogan equipment. Now his friend and fellow Pro in Greenville NC was a Hogan man period. In fact that guy was the one that sent my old man a copy of the letter when Mr Hogan threatened his dealers for putting Apex shafts in non Hogan clubs> Which my old man found very amusing. I remember him saying anyone that messed up a perfectly good set of Macgregors or Spaldings by putting Apex shaft in them was a :censored2: idiot. He probably rolled in his grave 3 times when I started putting Apex shafts in Macgregors a couple of years ago. I only saw 2 bastardized sets ( as my old man called them) in my area one was a set of 53 Top Flites and the other set was a set of M-85 Colorkromes. Mitchell tells me there were quite a few Apex conversions in the Raleigh/ Durham area in those days.

Great read. I am always amazed by the stories and information on this part of the site.

Just finished this for my lefty wife Sally's vintage set. Grip was crumbling and the head looked like someone drove nails with it. Thought it ended up looking pretty good. Yes, she likes the shiny, shiny...

k3qvSbc.jpg

DeQWI2X.jpg

cnhR0cg.jpg

leZ04QA.jpg

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Richard-

"I also found a left hand Hogan Riviera 56 sand wedge. Didn’t buy . I haven’t seen much left hand interest."

And you won't.

Most LH golfers will go for the new PING, Titleist or Callaway, because of who plays and wins with these brands on Tour.

Otherwise, it's RH Only. The "new" Ben Hogan Golf company took 5 years before they made LH irons, and Equalizer wedges.

While the LH Ben Hogan Riviera and Carnoustie Wedges are serviceable, they didn't command " Equalizer" value.

Forged or Cast- Who cares- What's PHIL using? Clevelands, Mizunos, Bridgestones, TaylorMades, Srixons, Wilsons, Rams etc.,

LH Wilson R61 Sandy Andy, anyone? (Nope- Don't bother looking.)

Haven’t had much Hogan stuff but what I had I gave away.

Not much in LH Hogan putters either, though some are Bettinardis.

Evans golf was pretty good stuff.

I played in Australia and my Cleveland irons back then had a huge problem. Jon Evans got me a set of his irons, they felt great!

He was a great guy!

Just finished this for my lefty wife Sally's vintage set. Grip was crumbling and the head looked like someone drove nails with it. Thought it ended up looking pretty good. Yes, she likes the shiny, shiny...

k3qvSbc.jpg

DeQWI2X.jpg

cnhR0cg.jpg

leZ04QA.jpg

You did a great job on that Timmy V !!! Is that an old school Tacki Mac or Royal round grip I spot on that? See you put a ball pick er up thingy on it too for her. That should get you extra honey points on that. :pimp:

k3qvSbc.jpg

DeQWI2X.jpg

cnhR0cg.jpg

leZ04QA.jpg

Is that a Tacki-Mac knurled grip???? If so, you will never, ever, ever need to re-grip that club!

Hey, Big Man - great minds think alike!

My money's on the Tacki-Mac, but the Royal grips were pretty good as well.

In fact, my old Wilson 8813 has a Royal pistol grip on it right now, just the way I got it, like 20+ years ago.

You remember that David Edwards started Royal grips, right???? Danny's brother. Boy - there is a name that fell off the world!

I picked up this MacGregor Super Eye-O-Matic Toney Penna 2-wood to go with my matching driver. It is all original with the Pro-pel shaft and leather grip. You guys mentioned that the "TP" stamping on the sole means it's a custom order, and when I pulled this 2-wood out of the box it looked a bit odd to me, like it was over-length. I measured it and it's 44"!

Now I got to figure out how remove this grip to reuse it after I cut it down to a proper length.

af8d07d541ab82478fb22e920d150e62.jpg

57ea335fdb647e4ccf2b8efe909d520f.jpg

2f1bd20abb174d7e00b164382a1d73af.jpg

319730fe87eaff848d273a61ce191257.jpg

Deejaid-

Of course you know this MacGregor "TP" persimmon 2 wood by it's length was most likely a custom order, and as such done by some of their custom craftsmen at the time.

Jack Wullkotte was among them, as he worked on a few of these custom leather grips with gold piping and paper underlisting, as they later became the preferred grip of one Jack Nicklaus.

Yup, you guys here filled me in on the “TP” stamp sole as a custom order designation when I bought my Mac Toney Penna Super Eye-O-Matic driver and shared it here. That’s why I picked this one up, a little more special than an off the rack.

Actually, the TP does not identify the club as a custom order. If it is custom or special order, the neck number will start with either SO or OS.

YOur 2-wood seems to be in original condition. so look on the neck below the whipping for the #

Uncle Bob

Thanks for the info Uncle Bob. Just checked and yes it’s got an SO serial #.

755c175960cd62bb6fe2b9b686ad1dbc.jpg

now you are coking. the SO in the number does, infact indicate special order which would explain the over length shaft. Remember if you cut it down, you will change the flex and also the swoing weight.

Uncle Bob

Hey, Big Man - great minds think alike!

My money's on the Tacki-Mac, but the Royal grips were pretty good as well.

In fact, my old Wilson 8813 has a Royal pistol grip on it right now, just the way I got it, like 20+ years ago.

You remember that David Edwards started Royal grips, right???? Danny's brother. Boy - there is a name that fell off the world!

Yep I remember about Royal grips--- I still have quite a few of those Royal Cords on a few of my putters. The old John Daly Golf store in Surfside had a bunch of them in a cut off barrel cheap. I bought a boatload of them back a few years ago. I used to put them on every putter I tried.

The grip is actually a Karakal Jumbo Knurled. I have found they work well and look good on vintage putters.

The wife also has back issues so having a ball pick up is a must.

I did get a worthwhile Thank You for my work on her gift. ;)

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.