2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

No new acquistions...?

nice examples of bag brands you don't see used too often.

Burton is a tri-color. grey, deep red and black.

Belding all black and has side storage pockets that expand with all around zippers for the times extra outerwear is needed.

nice touch.

both came with the top covers and good original straps. just left them off for the pics.

the seller is a really nice gent about forty minutes from my homebase.

been collecting and selling for several years. took me through his place and wow...

must have seen a few hundred clubs. a hundred bags.

combination of newer and vintage.

he will be relocating to a southern state soon. wants to cull the herd before the move.

invited me to return with interested buyers.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Holy mackerel! Have those been refurbished or a set of pristine never been hit clubs that were stored in a vacuum chamber? :pimp:

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Cheers guys.

These beauty's have me stumped. Restored, refinished or original, who knows??

The only things which are possibly out of the ordinary here are the paint fill ( red swapped for black) though the '57 945 Silver Scots shared this colour scheme, and the paint fill in the grooves ( don't know for sure if this was done back then?)

Shafts are in great shape, no wear or scratches, just some very mild surface corrosion, shaft bands are perfect.

Ferrules have faded a little and are a touch brittle

Red and black leather grips are hard but not worn.

The edge bevels on the heads appear a little softer that what I'm used to with from Mac's of this era ( but then Ive never had 945's in my hands before).

Only the 5 iron looks to have been hit before and even then Id say it's only seen a couple of dozen balls in it's life...

Im over the moon with these!

J

Yamaha W-602
'58 MT PT1 2W
'55 Tommy Armour 945's
Tad Moore "47 Rookie", a TM6? or maybe an 8802 today....

WOW!!! Those look too darn nice to hit

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

OK hit the Stu Junkyard jackpot today--- as usual no pics can not get the damn thing to work right----

Ping Anser Phoenix putter

Bullseye Reuters Standard Putter

Spalding TP Mills #7 fluted shaft--- Looks like an 8802 with no offset good Golf Pride Cord grip This is going to be in the game bag tomorrow

3 Mizuno T Zoid wedges worn out but have good S-300 Sensicore shafts good Lamkin Crossline cord grips

Macgregor Muirfield Nicklaus 20th Ann SW

M-85 Macgregor Colorkrom PW-- Ungripped end of shaft suspect--- One of the Sensicore shafts are going in that

Karsten II 2 iron

Now the jackpot--- 4 thru 9 iron Forged Macgregor Nicklaus Muirfields ( non 20th) Black label True Temper "R" shafts no matching PW. Good Victory cords. I theorize who ever owned them may have lost the PW and replaced it with the M-85. Those are labeled "Tour Forged " on the hosel except the 5 iron but all the SNs match. I was going to play my Machogans tomorrow anyhow since I played the Precisions Sunday and experienced no back pain. Think I am going to throw the Muirfields in the bag along with the TP Mills putter. I am also going to game one of the 1 irons Richard graciously sent me this week. It is an original winged MT Colorkrome which I think is a 53 or 54--- Looks like I have already played it one time or another because it is lead taped. Heck I like going out with an untried set

OK hit the Stu Junkyard jackpot today--- as usual no pics can not get the damn thing to work right----

Spalding TP Mills #7 fluted shaft--- Looks like an 8802 with no offset good Golf Pride Cord grip This is going to be in the game bag tomorrow

3 Mizuno T Zoid wedges worn out but have good S-300 Sensicore shafts good Lamkin Crossline cord grips

M-85 Macgregor Colorkrom PW-- Ungripped end of shaft suspect--- One of the Sensicore shafts are going in that

Karsten II 2 iron

Now the jackpot--- 4 thru 9 iron Forged Macgregor Nicklaus Muirfields ( non 20th) Black label True Temper "R" shafts no matching PW. Good Victory cords. I theorize who ever owned them may have lost the PW and replaced it with the M-85. Those are labeled "Tour Forged " on the hosel except the 5 iron but all the SNs match. I was going to play my Machogans tomorrow anyhow since I played the Precisions Sunday and experienced no back pain. Think I am going to throw the Muirfields in the bag along with the TP Mills putter. I am also going to game one of the 1 irons Richard graciously sent me this week. It is an original winged MT Colorkrome which I think is a 53 or 54--- Looks like I have already played it one time or another because it is lead taped. Heck I like going out with an untried set

Stu - no matter how many stories you tell I still can’t believe what people throw in the trash. To someone in this part of the world it’s almost criminal!

Karsten II 2 iron

Stu - no matter how many stories you tell I still can’t believe what people throw in the trash. To someone in this part of the world it’s almost criminal!

It is criminal to me too. Makes me wonder if anyone besides us old farts appreciates anything these days. Those Muirfields cleaned up fine with no effort at all and look pristine. I believe they were beloved by someone at one time. Funny sometimes it turns out like Archaeology. I looked hard for the wedge but then found the M-85 which is a remake and then the SW. I figured the guy must have lost the Muirfield wedge or either liked the M-85 better. The SW was worn more than any of the clubs and is rustier but I have it soaking. The only reason the M-85 is not in the bag now is because the grip was missing and the end of the shaft looked suspect for breakage. I was really tired and did not feel like a reshaft job last night.

Karsten II 2 iron

It is criminal to me too. Makes me wonder if anyone besides us old farts appreciates anything these days. Those Muirfields cleaned up fine with no effort at all and look pristine. I believe they were beloved by someone at one time. Funny sometimes it turns out like Archaeology. I looked hard for the wedge but then found the M-85 which is a remake and then the SW. I figured the guy must have lost the Muirfield wedge or either liked the M-85 better. The SW was worn more than any of the clubs and is rustier but I have it soaking. The only reason the M-85 is not in the bag now is because the grip was missing and the end of the shaft looked suspect for breakage. I was really tired and did not feel like a reshaft job last night.

Excellent junk yard score Stu. Who throws this stuff away? As you say, "It's criminal". Muirfields are the one set of irons that are on my scrounging radar. Found a reissue M85 Colokrom SW awhile back. What was strange, it had Colokrom stamped on the back. But the face was absent of copper plating. Not just worn off, literally no plating. I know there was a M85 reissue, but the pics I've seen didn't have Colokrom on the heads. Anyhow, needed a SW to fill out the M85 Colo set.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Played those Muirfields today. Man were they off and it was them not me but I did hit them ok. Managed a scrambling 80. The big surprise was the old Anser putter. I was messing with it this AM after getting off here. Liked the way it sat and felt and it was at my standard length of 33" Decided to game it instead of the TPM. Glad I did putted very well with it including 3 sand saves. Like I said the Muirfields were off bad.Bear said he knew they were because I was trying to push the issue on them for distance some. I was also getting some right hand shots. When I got home put them on the machine and the lofts were 3* weaker than my VIP specs and they were 3* too upright for me. VIPs are in the bag for next week though. I have not played them in 2 months now and frankly I miss the MacHogans. Also no back pain as of yet and like I said I did push the envelope some. BTW hit the Tommy Armour 1 iron today on a couple of short par 4s and it hit good. It ain't pretty by most standards about waist high on a short man but I still have my cut and it rolls like a scalded cat

Just found these today. Pretty nice set, missing pitching wedge but has a sand iron. I thought shaft number 1 might be a senior but it's a stiff. All bands intact. Not going to keep them pm if interested. Keeping the 2 wood vip.

Richard-

Those MacGregor VIP "Split-Level" sole irons were Don White's first assignment with MacGregor Golf.

Note-You're missing the "10" iron.

Played those Muirfields today. Man were they off and it was them not me but I did hit them ok. Managed a scrambling 80. The big surprise was the old Anser putter. I was messing with it this AM after getting off here. Liked the way it sat and felt and it was at my standard length of 33" Decided to game it instead of the TPM. Glad I did putted very well with it including 3 sand saves. Like I said the Muirfields were off bad.Bear said he knew they were because I was trying to push the issue on them for distance some. I was also getting some right hand shots. When I got home put them on the machine and the lofts were 3* weaker than my VIP specs and they were 3* too upright for me. VIPs are in the bag for next week though. I have not played them in 2 months now and frankly I miss the MacHogans. Also no back pain as of yet and like I said I did push the envelope some. BTW hit the Tommy Armour 1 iron today on a couple of short par 4s and it hit good. It ain't pretty by most standards about waist high on a short man but I still have my cut and it rolls like a scalded cat

that's bad, the upright lie is way worse than the weak lofts. IMHO.

so, you've got your stinger working right?

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Found my first "time capsule" set today.

It's a set of Macgregor DX DXR2 irons 2-PW from I believe 1968. Shafted with medium Tourney shafts with nice leather grips with gold thread.

If these have seen more than a round or two since 1968 I would be shocked.

I looked into these a bit and while there's some disagreement on pro-line VS store line, the general consensus was that these were at the top of the line in Macgregor's pro catalog but a more forgiving design compared to the the VIPs and MTs. Is that the case?