No new acquistions...?

Found my first "time capsule" set today.

It's a set of Macgregor DX DXR2 irons 2-PW from I believe 1968. Shafted with medium Tourney shafts with nice leather grips with gold thread.

If these have seen more than a round or two since 1968 I would be shocked.

I looked into these a bit and while there's some disagreement on pro-line VS store line, the general consensus was that these were at the top of the line in Macgregor's pro catalog but a more forgiving design compared to the the VIPs and MTs. Is that the case?

Very cool!

Samtay6 - I'm no expert on Mac stuff, but first, let me congratulate you on an excellent find in fabulous shape!

The DX line was offered thru the "Pro Line" selection of clubs, but was a step below the MT's, IIRC. Still good clubs, but more budget priced, with shafts that tended to create a higher ball flight as opposed to offerings in the MT and other higher-end sets.

Rex should be able to offer a more concise description from Kaplan's. but I would rate these as equivalent to the Spalding Kro-Flite irons of the day - still good clubs, but a step below the Top-Flite irons.

Enjoy them!

Samtay-

"I looked into these a bit and while there's some disagreement on pro-line VS store line, the general consensus was that these were at the top of the line in Macgregor's pro catalog but a more forgiving design compared to the the VIPs and MTs. Is that the case?

Yes. Page 5, 1968 MacGregor Professional catalog.

i we knew you'd provide the information we he is seeking

Samtay-

"I looked into these a bit and while there's some disagreement on pro-line VS store line, the general consensus was that these were at the top of the line in Macgregor's pro catalog but a more forgiving design compared to the the VIPs and MTs. Is that the case?

Thanks rex. So these were a step below the MTs in the Macgregor line?

Picked up a Mizuno TP-11 58° wedge & a Callaway S2H2 4 wood with new UST Proforce L-flex shaft for $2 today. Both are going on eBay to hopefully secure funds to buy a set of Pings I've been craving.

what pings are you looking for?

i ordered 6-SW Karsten IV today. I need a 5i for sure based on lofts. I don't need a 3-4i.

Not a step below as much as more of a "game improvement " iron before such things existed.

Actually, the DX line - IIRC - was always priced quite a bit less than the MT

I forgot I had the resources to look this up, so I just looked it up in the Tom Wishon penned Golfworks Golf Club Identification and Price Guide and I was surprised to see the 1968 MT Woods and Irons had the exact same retail price as the DX Woods and Irons, $112 for a set of 4 woods and $180 for a set of 9 irons. So it looks like hnryclay was correct on that.

By the way, inflation wise that comes out to $813 for 4 woods and over $1300 for 9 irons.

Samtay-

Thanks rex. So these were a step below the MTs in the Macgregor line?

Samtay-

If one looks at the pages of the 1968 MacGregor Professional catalog,

Pages 1&2 - the MacGregor VIP by Nicklaus irons& woods -

Pages 3&4- The MacGregor MT Tourney irons & woods

Page 5- MacGregor DX Tourney irons

Remember, if your DX irons are in exceptional condition, they were made in the same year of the first VIPs.

More than likely by some of the same skilled artisans at MacGregor Golf.

Good catch - guess I am remembering that the DX never sold as well in the shop where I worked, so they were always discounted, at a time when golf shops were the only place where you could buy "pro-line" MacGregor

When I first bought a set of DX irons and was doing research on them I thought the same thing, lower priced but still a green grass model. I got the Kaplan book on ebay and found out that they were truly just a different model that was aimed at the ball striker that needed some assistance. In any case the DX irons are my favorite macs to play with, they might not look as cool as my MT85s but they play better.

Peanut gallery chiming in here but nothing about those DX irons scream "game improvement" or "easier to hit" to me. They look pretty derned bladey from my perch.

These were "game improvement" just prior to Ping launching on the national golf scene.

Yeah comparing them to the 1968 MT irons it looks like their version of game improvement is a longer blade length and a slightly higher muscle to I guess promote a higher launch?

Having not been around back then I can imagine the Ping stuff was seen as pretty out there.

Peanut gallery chiming in here but nothing about those DX irons scream "game improvement" or "easier to hit" to me. They look pretty derned bladey from my perch.

These were "game improvement" just prior to Ping launching on the national golf scene.

Yeah comparing them to the 1968 MT irons it looks like their version of game improvement is a longer blade length and a slightly higher muscle to I guess promote a higher launch?

Having not been around back then I can imagine the Ping stuff was seen as pretty out there.

Lengthening the blade moved a little bit of the weight away from the long hosels that these irons still possessed.

Once hosel length began to diminish, the proverbial sweet spot began to move a little closer to the center of the face - or at least, away from the hosel a bit. Perimeter weighting, like the Pings, just took that concept to another level. And, the manufacturing process began to be way more repeatable, with the lost wax method of casting.

Enjoy them, if you play them, that is. My philosophy: it's like a nice car. Keeping it in the garage for special occasions....well, life is short. Each day should be considered a special occasion, especially when it comes to golf!

Yeah it was especially for the old timers like my old man. That generation started out with hickory shafts too. My old man said when he first saw Ping putters that they were " the ugliest POS he had ever seen and they would never sell" He ended up selling a boatload of Ping stuff including irons and woods.

I myself always loved Ping putters especially the Anser and Zing. On the irons I loved the K1 K2 and Eye 2 long irons especially the 1 iron. Later on when I really got down to studying how clubs really work I realized Karsten Solheim was a genius. If he had pursued the space race instead of golf clubs we would have put a man on the moon 10 years earlier than we did that is if they would have listened to him. I dare say the Anser putter is the most copied putter of all time and I will step out and say that the eye 2 is the most cloned iron in golf history. And the "principles" of perimeter weighting etc on modern clubs today have their roots in one Karsten Solheim

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

It's a set of Macgregor DX DXR2 irons 2-PW from I believe 1968. Shafted with medium Tourney shafts with nice leather grips with gold thread.

I looked into these a bit and while there's some disagreement on pro-line VS store line, the general consensus was that these were at the top of the line in Macgregor's pro catalog but a more forgiving design compared to the the VIPs and MTs. Is that the case?

Nice, but the earlier diamond back versions are the real deal!!!

Excellent my man excellent---- The only thing for some reason I did not like on the DX line or the Tourney Custom line was the boxed grooves. I am not talking boxed grooves as in square grooves but the lines on the grooves that boxes them in. It does not have anything to do with performance but it is just one of my eye quirks. IMHO those are just as good as anything in the Mac line up

Not newly acquired, but newly finished. Finally got this retro-modded set of Hogan Precision’s built. Heads have been refinished, built with original TT Rocket shafts, new correct style ferrules, and topped off with new GripMaster leather grips. A few of the clubs have hit some balls as I had to give them a try, beautiful clubs, but I’ll keep my long hosels.

These will be moving on and someone is gonna get an awesome set of sticks.

What a stunning set of clubs.

Not newly acquired, but newly finished. Finally got this retro-modded set of Hogan Precision's built. Heads have been refinished, built with original TT Rocket shafts, new correct style ferrules, and topped off with new GripMaster leather grips. A few of the clubs have hit some balls as I had to give them a try, beautiful clubs, but I'll keep my long hosels.

These will be moving on and someone is gonna get an awesome set of sticks.

Oh man stunning!! My Precisions are not going anywhere. Seems I can hit those rusty worn Puppies whe I can not hit anything else ( shrug ) I would probably let one of my beloved sets of Macs go before I let those go----- Yeah I said it!!!

Found all this yesterday full set of Dynacraft blades 2 thru saw. Stiff r300. Lady hogan not full set, powerbilts not full set. Only bought this Spalding 3 wood and the old H&B putterand thewilson wedge. Anyone want the Wilson wedge?

Let me tell you something--- Those Dynacraft blades are nothing to sneeze at----- Those are Top Notch forgings and if they are put together correctly they hit as smooth and as good as anything else made back in those days

Found all this yesterday full set of Dynacraft blades 2 thru saw. Stiff r300. Lady hogan not full set, powerbilts not full set. Only bought this Spalding 3 wood and the old H&B putterand thewilson wedge. Anyone want the Wilson wedge?

Let me tell you something--- Those Dynacraft blades are nothing to sneeze at----- Those are Top Notch forgings and if they are put together correctly they hit as smooth and as good as anything else made back in those days

I really liked the looks and would have bought them if they had been regular flex.

Actually those particular Dynacraft blades are cast.

But I agree they are top notch and were as good as anything available at that time, or today for that matter.

Many of the Dynacraft clubs of that day were designed by Tom Wishon.

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy