2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

No new acquistions...?

oz13k9dtx2ba.jpg

silybrzojehf.jpg

I'm gonna need some help dating this one. It's a Hogan, Deep Face, but I've never seen the Hogan signature superimposed on the sunburst like that. Speed slot, blind bore. The club has been redone at some point... The insert has no screws and it has an ugly gold graphite shaft (with the stiffness of a damp spaghetti noodle with a victory cold grip.

I'm not sure what to do with it. It would be easy enough to mask off the speed slot and do the rest of the club, but I couldn't bear to lose the crown decal. At the same time, I don't know if it is possible to leave the area around the decal and blend it into a refinish job elsewhere. Open to opinions and suggestions. Hogan anything is "Rare as hen's teeth" as is often said around here, so I was quite surprised to stumble upon a deep-face driver.

> @"James the Hogan Fan" said:

> oz13k9dtx2ba.jpg

> silybrzojehf.jpg

>

> I'm gonna need some help dating this one. It's a Hogan, Deep Face, but I've never seen the Hogan signature superimposed on the sunburst like that. I'm guessing 70's? Speed slot, blind bore. Serial number used to be: 53042. The club has been redone at some point... The insert has no screws and it has an ugly gold graphite shaft (with the stiffness of a damp spaghetti noodle with a victory cold grip.

>

> I'm not sure what to do with it. It would be easy enough to mask off the speed slot and do the rest of the club, but I couldn't bear to lose the crown decal. At the same time, I don't know if it is possible to leave the area around the decal and blend it into a refinish job elsewhere. Open to opinions and suggestions. Hogan anything is "Rare as hen's teeth" as is often said around here, so I was quite surprised to stumble upon a deep-face driver.

> @"James the Hogan Fan" said:

> > @"James the Hogan Fan" said:

> > oz13k9dtx2ba.jpg

> > silybrzojehf.jpg

> >

> > I'm gonna need some help dating this one. It's a Hogan, Deep Face, but I've never seen the Hogan signature superimposed on the sunburst like that. I'm guessing 70's? Speed slot, blind bore. Serial number used to be: 53042. The club has been redone at some point... The insert has no screws and it has an ugly gold graphite shaft (with the stiffness of a damp spaghetti noodle with a victory cold grip.

> >

> > I'm not sure what to do with it. It would be easy enough to mask off the speed slot and do the rest of the club, but I couldn't bear to lose the crown decal. At the same time, I don't know if it is possible to leave the area around the decal and blend it into a refinish job elsewhere. Open to opinions and suggestions. Hogan anything is "Rare as hen's teeth" as is often said around here, so I was quite surprised to stumble upon a deep-face driver.

>

>

Clear coat it to seal in all the character. Sometimes it’s best to leave it as is. I think it looks great like that.

> @deejaid said:

> > @"James the Hogan Fan" said:

> > > @"James the Hogan Fan" said:

> > > oz13k9dtx2ba.jpg

> > > silybrzojehf.jpg

> > >

> > > I'm gonna need some help dating this one. It's a Hogan, Deep Face, but I've never seen the Hogan signature superimposed on the sunburst like that. I'm guessing 70's? Speed slot, blind bore. Serial number used to be: 53042. The club has been redone at some point... The insert has no screws and it has an ugly gold graphite shaft (with the stiffness of a damp spaghetti noodle with a victory cold grip.

> > >

> > > I'm not sure what to do with it. It would be easy enough to mask off the speed slot and do the rest of the club, but I couldn't bear to lose the crown decal. At the same time, I don't know if it is possible to leave the area around the decal and blend it into a refinish job elsewhere. Open to opinions and suggestions. Hogan anything is "Rare as hen's teeth" as is often said around here, so I was quite surprised to stumble upon a deep-face driver.

> >

> >

>

> Clear coat it to seal in all the character. Sometimes it’s best to leave it as is. I think it looks great like that.

I think you're right, but I need to clean up the sole a bit regardless. The previous finish has yellowed and run on the plate in ways I just don't like. I took it to the range and confirmed the shaft is Senior flex or so, ie unhittable for me. Is there any known way to get a graphite shaft out of persimmon intact? Or I can cut and drill. I think light steel wool polish for the whole head, then some sanding attention to the decay on the face, and some touch up work on the sole, but nothing major beyond that.

And anyone have a guess as to age? I'm really stumped on that one; Hogan seemed to use a similar sole plate for 30 years...

No time to take a full set of pictures today, but I just got a 2i-PW set of Wilson X-31s in. There are traces of a green band just below the step nearest the ferrule, so I think that means extra-stiff, right? They certainly feel stout.

Interestingly, the shafts are also fluted, and the mid section doesn't have a step in it. There's no shaft label, so I've no idea what it is, but I've never seen one like it.

I need to look up their standard lofts and lies, and also adjust them to my preferred specs anyway. Not sure how I'll get on with the shaft, but the heads look great.

vs6hq8ymo89f.jpg

Well hit a mini jackpot at work today--- Still ain't pic capable------ Found quite a few Persimmon Power Bilt drivers and a Louisville Golf 50th Driver and 5 wood also a Crenshaw Macgregor 3 wood---- My two biggest hauls was an original Ping Karsten 1 A putter. Original shaft band ie; Ping Toe Heel Balance. Has the original "Pro Only" grip but on the end cap it says Golf Pride Ping Putter. The favorite find was a Hickory Shafted Otey Crisman 34 H Calamity Jane styled blade putter. Also has a Lamkin Ultra Tack leather wrapped grip in pristine shape. In fact this putter is in pristine shape. Putted with it this afternoon and it does have a great unique feel

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

may have to find a new place to store acquisitions - at a recent family gathering, my DW let the nephew know that he better start hitting our basement for any equipment he may need.

she counted the bags and counted twenty three full ones. (thankfully she missed the boxes.)

that doesn't count the stuff I still have to drive down to Indy and pick up from Richard before the snow hits.

can't a guy ~~be a packrat~~ have a hobby ?

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

> @dcopp7 said:

> Driving in town today, I trash picked this TM staff bag with a few junk clubs in it. Check it out!90juixwwplqm.jpg

>

If my memory serves me correctly that is an early to mid 90s TM Staff bag----- Nice find and outstanding price too!!!

> @SteveNZ said:

> > @LeftyMac said:

> > I'm about to add another cupboard in the garage to cater for the ever growing collection. There is a set of Wilsomn Staff Bullet Backs to add to these.

> >

> > jji7ln77s71f.jpg

> >

> >

> >

> Is that the same LH Muirfield 20th that popped up on Twitter a day or so ago? ;-)

>

Steve,

They were on Twitter a few months back. I went to buy them and the guy sold them from under me. Turned out it was my wife who had bought them and she gave them to me for my birthday. Was quite a surprise. There is a set of 1969 Wilson Bullet Backs joing them next week when I pick them up in the US.

• Like 1

> @LeftyMac said:

> > @SteveNZ said:

> > > @LeftyMac said:

> > > I'm about to add another cupboard in the garage to cater for the ever growing collection. There is a set of Wilsomn Staff Bullet Backs to add to these.

> > >

> > > jji7ln77s71f.jpg

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > Is that the same LH Muirfield 20th that popped up on Twitter a day or so ago? ;-)

> >

>

> Steve,

>

> They were on Twitter a few months back. I went to buy them and the guy sold them from under me. Turned out it was my wife who had bought them and she gave them to me for my birthday. Was quite a surprise. There is a set of 1969 Wilson Bullet Backs joing them next week when I pick them up in the US.

Oh - I meant was this you?

Picked up a 2 iron to match my 3-10 MT Tourney split sole set.

2ifmz4u3puzj.png

xxr9p1u1nl9i.jpeg

Titleist TS2 9.5* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 15* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 18* Tensei AV Blue
Titleist Hybrid (816) 23* Basarra HL 
Titleist AP1 718 5-GW 48Tensei Graphite 
Vokey 52.08, 56.10 SM9
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35”
Tiltleist 14 Hybrid
Titleist Pro V1

> @memphishorn said:

> Picked up a 2 iron to match my 3-10 MT Tourney split sole set.

>

> 2ifmz4u3puzj.png

> xxr9p1u1nl9i.jpeg

>

Even though I personally can dig to China with those split soles they are nice. I also spy the Ironmater 3 putter and what TP Mills is that? I have became a TP Mills fan too

It’s a T.P.M. 1 I rescued from a bin. It has the pencil shaft and is stainless steel. I stripped it down and regripped it and was going to “blue” it but decided to keep it natural

7thla42zf0r4.jpeg

esq866g5918e.jpeg

5i7s0tfyd3sq.jpeg

• Like 1

Vokey 52.08, 56.10 SM9
Tiltleist 14 Hybrid
Titleist Pro V1

> @memphishorn said:

> It’s a T.P.M. 1 I rescued from a bin. It has the pencil shaft and is stainless steel. I stripped it down and regripped it and was going to “blue” it but decided to keep it natural

>

> 7thla42zf0r4.jpeg

> esq866g5918e.jpeg

> 5i7s0tfyd3sq.jpeg

>

>

>

I thought by the sole it was a #1 or #2----- I have quite a few Spalding TP Mills all of them except a #9 were junk pile finds. Myself I leave them natural as I find them but have seen some guys on here do an outstanding job blueing them. I inadvertently became a Mills collector. I had always had an appreciation of his work and after finding a couple I darn sure was not going to let them go to the shredder to be destroyed and to possibly be made into a Hyundai or worse yet a spaceship on a stick called a putter. I think I have 5 or 6 different ones can not remember all the ones I have

I also have T.P.M. 2 that is carbon steel. I have stripped it and plan to blue it at some point

Vokey 52.08, 56.10 SM9
Tiltleist 14 Hybrid
Titleist Pro V1

The irons came last week, but I didn't have a chance to post them properly. The 5 iron in the set seems to have been a replacement. All the others have fluted shafts but he 5i doesn't, and it's pinned, whereas the others aren't. The shaft on the 5i shows traces of green paint on the last step, so I think it's extra stiff in the old Wilson flexology. The other shafts have no paint, but similar steps, so I'm guessing the same X-stiff. They certainly feel heavy, and I'm not sure if my back is going to manage...94gh96801pjn.jpg

r843ofykns6s.jpg

ecpku9ljgp1m.jpg

903h1c25bqj1.jpg

n9k8jka49qv1.jpg

dvfq5b228207.jpg

jml3hefvg7gf.jpg

The leather grips are still OK, but I need to find something here to treat them with.

I also picked up this refinished Mizuno 3w the other day for about $22 including postage. It looks alright, but the soleplate bothers me a little. Anyway, it's supposed to be a player as it is a good match for my favourite Mizuno Blondie driver.

The 3w came with an M-40 carbon shaft that seems to be a good fit for me so far. Certainly not too heavy, nor too light.

hqpjkkkz62t1.jpg

bzmmtgxdovev.jpg

ijq6uc86dyts.jpg

947b8hzfquvn.jpg

8nhowuk6c8cg.jpg

Edit: with the Mizuno Driver:

3f94arx4nhp1.jpg

• Like 2

I don't expect to find much when I swing by a thrift shop, so I was surprised to see this wonderful 8813 last week. Its kind of a big deal to me since I've been looking for one of these since 1982. I picked up a pristine original 8802 in 1983, but I kept looking for its brother all these years and finally found it. The only thing that threw me for a bit was the grip, which is clearly age appropriate but not what I was expecting since my 8802 had a leather wrap grip when I found it.

It is in beautiful shape, other than the slick and hard rubber grip, which I'll replace with some leather soon. The shaft is missing the band, but other than that, looks great. I especially like the reverse stamp in all its glory and the paint fill is perfect. Its in my room now, next to its brother, getting at least a little attention every day.

All is good in life.

m23ui6xvoj4b.jpg

4bb14c92oxrd.jpg

lx71g0d0rhxv.jpg

if7ehmasvf5d.jpg

• Like 2

> @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> I also picked up this refinished Mizuno 3w the other day for about $22 including postage. It looks alright, but the soleplate bothers me a little. Anyway, it's supposed to be a player as it is a good match for my favourite Mizuno Blondie driver.

> The 3w came with an M-40 carbon shaft that seems to be a good fit for me so far. Certainly not too heavy, nor too light.

> hqpjkkkz62t1.jpg

> bzmmtgxdovev.jpg

> ijq6uc86dyts.jpg

> 947b8hzfquvn.jpg

> 8nhowuk6c8cg.jpg

>

> Edit: with the Mizuno Driver:

> 3f94arx4nhp1.jpg

>

>

Catchy I can certainly relate to the back issue. Played in a scramble yesterday (freebie was asked to play on a team). Last thing my wife told me was do not swing out of my shoes and hurt myself. Had a couple of big hitters on the team but they could not find a fairway. Had to do my thing and hit fairways which I did. Played the "Machogans" > Main thing I did not hurt my back. We finished "respectable" 10th out of 28 teams honestly. Around here the scramble winners have the sharpest pencils. For me had a amazing putting day canned about 5 putts in the 10 ft and in range. Had been experimenting some left hand low with the Bulls Eye putters. Had done some revamping on my rusty Scotty. Brought it out and putted left hand low and it did good for me

Thought of you this week. Found a beautiful Mizuno ( I presume persimmon) driver on the pile this week. Looks to be the same vintage as the 3 wood you posted but has a black finish. Beautiful club and fits my eye great. If I play vintage golf this afternoon I plan on hitting it.

> @Stephen8802 said:

> I don't expect to find much when I swing by a thrift shop, so I was surprised to see this wonderful 8813 last week. Its kind of a big deal to me since I've been looking for one of these since 1982. I picked up a pristine original 8802 in 1983, but I kept looking for its brother all these years and finally found it. The only thing that threw me for a bit was the grip, which is clearly age appropriate but not what I was expecting since my 8802 had a leather wrap grip when I found it.

>

> It is in beautiful shape, other than the slick and hard rubber grip, which I'll replace with some leather soon. The shaft is missing the band, but other than that, looks great. I especially like the reverse stamp in all its glory and the paint fill is perfect. Its in my room now, next to its brother, getting at least a little attention every day.

>

> All is good in life.

>

> m23ui6xvoj4b.jpg

> 4bb14c92oxrd.jpg

> lx71g0d0rhxv.jpg

> if7ehmasvf5d.jpg

>

Great find . Out of all the putters I own I do not own a real 8802 or 8813. If my memory serves me correctly and Wilson guys help me out here some of those putters came with that exact grip yours has. I think the leather wrap grips were an option or was it the other way around? But anyhow I am all for you replacing the grip and playing it. I have owned a few 8802s in the past and always seemed to like them better with leather wrap grips

> @"BIG STU" said:

> > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > I also picked up this refinished Mizuno 3w the other day for about $22 including postage. It looks alright, but the soleplate bothers me a little. Anyway, it's supposed to be a player as it is a good match for my favourite Mizuno Blondie driver.

> > The 3w came with an M-40 carbon shaft that seems to be a good fit for me so far. Certainly not too heavy, nor too light.

> > hqpjkkkz62t1.jpg

> > bzmmtgxdovev.jpg

> > ijq6uc86dyts.jpg

> > 947b8hzfquvn.jpg

> > 8nhowuk6c8cg.jpg

> >

> > Edit: with the Mizuno Driver:

> > 3f94arx4nhp1.jpg

> >

> >

>

> Catchy I can certainly relate to the back issue. Played in a scramble yesterday (freebie was asked to play on a team). Last thing my wife told me was do not swing out of my shoes and hurt myself. Had a couple of big hitters on the team but they could not find a fairway. Had to do my thing and hit fairways which I did. Played the "Machogans" > Main thing I did not hurt my back. We finished "respectable" 10th out of 28 teams honestly. Around here the scramble winners have the sharpest pencils. For me had a amazing putting day canned about 5 putts in the 10 ft and in range. Had been experimenting some left hand low with the Bulls Eye putters. Had done some revamping on my rusty Scotty. Brought it out and putted left hand low and it did good for me

>

> Thought of you this week. Found a beautiful Mizuno ( I presume persimmon) driver on the pile this week. Looks to be the same vintage as the 3 wood you posted but has a black finish. Beautiful club and fits my eye great. If I play vintage golf this afternoon I plan on hitting it.

My back's playing up at the moment, this time from lack of activity! I spent a day and a half in bed after getting a fever, and propped myself up to do some work. Should have got up occasionally to stretch, but I felt terrible. Anyway, this time it's just muscular, but just thinking about swinging those heavy X-31s makes me wince.

I hope you give the Mizuno a bash. My favourite driver growing up was a shallow-faced black Mizuno persimmon with a steel shaft. I hit some great driver with it that I can even remember -- and feel -- today.

The blonde driver and 3w I posted were probably not originally that colour. I think someone with good taste refinished them that way to bring out the beautiful grain. Most Mizuno persimmons I've seen are either some sort of dark red/reddish brown shade or black. But I'm no expert and certainly don't claim to have seen them all.

Anyway, they made some great drivers back in the day. Based on the amount I see on sale now, I think Honma were probably more popular here back in the persimmon days, but I've hit both and I personally think Mizuno have the edge. Their fairways are certainly more to my liking, being a bit smaller in the head.

Fortunately, I don't have to choose between one or the other, so I can enjoy both alike.

Hey, if I get my back right, I might even be able to hit my Toney Penna 4 and 5 woods again, but those ProPel shafts require some serious back strength.

> @Stephen8802 said:

> I don't expect to find much when I swing by a thrift shop, so I was surprised to see this wonderful 8813 last week. Its kind of a big deal to me since I've been looking for one of these since 1982. I picked up a pristine original 8802 in 1983, but I kept looking for its brother all these years and finally found it. The only thing that threw me for a bit was the grip, which is clearly age appropriate but not what I was expecting since my 8802 had a leather wrap grip when I found it.

>

> It is in beautiful shape, other than the slick and hard rubber grip, which I'll replace with some leather soon. The shaft is missing the band, but other than that, looks great. I especially like the reverse stamp in all its glory and the paint fill is perfect. Its in my room now, next to its brother, getting at least a little attention every day.

>

> All is good in life.

Lucky bugger :). Great find!