No new acquistions...?

Those Nicklaus Limited heads are the same forgings as a VIP and some Muirfields---- Now all the forged Muirfields I have seen have the same head shape as those. In fact I have 2 sets of forged Muirfields and the heads are the same as my VIPs. Some of the cast Muirfields have a more rounded toe. Muirfields are a strange bird some are cast and some are forged--- I have even seen 20th editions in both cast and forged. The forged ones have "Tour Forged" stamped on the hosel. The other set of Muirfields that I have Apex shafts in are cast.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

My new toys arrived from yesterday, and they're as lovely in person as they are on screen.
Highly recommend Brother @deejaid, excellent to deal with.
  • Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I’ve been playing really well with my 1953 Macgregor 259 Byron Nelson’s and it has sorta led to my focus on early 1950’s Macgregor’s lately, at least when it comes to irons. I just picked this set from another collector and I’m dying to get them on the course. 1955 Macgregor Tommy Armour 925 Tourney Colokrom’s. Pretty nice original condition. These seem to be a little more scarce than the 945’s that were the identical club but with the Tourney R shaft instead of the V shaft these are fitted with.

Q6U7LODCHGZH.jpeg

VEAEKB55MF5Z.jpeg

5RNACPAR9U4E.jpeg

They are the Mac standard of the era 2-9 irons. As for the shaft differences, the 1955 catalog lists the 945 irons with the Tourney R shafts as “medium-stiff but not bulky, combining preferred firmness with excellent feel”, while the 925’s Tourney V shaft is described as “a medium-stiff pattern with the overall weight, flex, and feel to match the speed of swing of most average golfers”. So it looks like the V plays a bit softer which is probably more appropriate for me. I’m kind of a tweener between regular and stiff so these should work well.

I continue to be on a hot streak for cool stuff that isn't what I'm looking for, but too nice to leave behind.

First up, my first Toney Penna. It was a little dark in the corner of the store, and the stamp on this isn't paint filled, so all I knew when I grabbed it was it was a deep-looking face and in really nice condition. When I was waiting in line to pay, the light was better, and I saw that it was a Jupiter Slugger. Needless to say, that made me happy. It's a beautiful club that I look forward to hitting. I may sell this club eventually to fund the Macgregors I'm looking for to fill out my collection, but it will likely be in my bag for at least a few rounds first. Then again, it is nice, so it may be a permanent addition to the herd.

UWT0E8DU6Z30.jpg

DQBC8QPIOC21.jpg

TMIWL0PDE4E2.jpgSecond up, a set of Hogan woods. Even though I had a '53 in my bag as my daily driver from 1983 to the late 90's, I really don't know much about the other Hogans. Perhaps some of the Hoganistas on this board would be kind enough to tell me if I have something good or not. My guess is late 80's, perhaps early 90's, but I have no idea if they are sought after or not. If there are people out there that like this kind of thing, I'll find them a good home. If not, I now have some Apex 4 shafts I can put into some of my weak-shaft Macgregors. So, Hoganistas, let me know what I have.

L0O5S7WQCHIQ.jpg

ZZOHBPCEBT5R.jpgAnd finally, I found a suitable back up for my '53 Hogan, just in case. In the mid 80's, I snapped the original Apex 4 and I've been paranoid I could lose it for good ever since; that, I couldn't handle emotionally. My original has been great since I got it back from Maltby back in the day, who somehow got the shaft out even though it was broken at the top of the hosel, but I feel better with a little insurance. This insurance club is in good shape and has the original Neuman Calf as a bonus...which is still tacky. Below is my long-time friend (darker top picture, left bottom) and his new brother.

YJPVUCZPRDLY.jpg

A8STLGDB8ZON.jpg

KPNKMS5GKB77.jpgLife has been good to me lately.

• Like 1

Like I said Muirfields especially 20ths can be a strange bird--- Yours could be very well be forged------- Good Lord!!! a set of Machogans halfway across the world!!! Hope Mitchell sees this. I was always under the assumption that it was a Carolina thing. But then again either on here or the other site I go on someone mentioned that there was a club builder in Minnesota that was known for the Apex conversion on Mac too. And the conspiracy grows

You will like the long irons especially--- For some reason I have found the Colokrom irons are hard and will go like a scalded cat. Love the roll out but for me on the other hand I had trouble stopping the short irons. I gave a set of reproduction ones I had to a young assistant pro friend of mine a few years back. Now he is an excellent ball striker and had no problem absolutely stopping the ball with the short irons. He asked me if those things were "legal". I told him yes and no as in they are not on the conforming list but if you submitted them they would check legal

• Like 1

Cheeze Whiz what a find on the Penna JS. That is the one Penna driver I do not have--- Like I told DJ one night I have only seen one JS in person and that was over 40 years ago

The Asian export models were known to have more offset. But I do have a VIP 56* Sw given to me by Curtis Strange himself that was one of his personal clubs and it has a lot of off set. Out of obligation I did try to hit it some but what basically happens to me with short irons with a lot of offset I promptly shanked it. It is put up with the Virgin Model 1 Penna driver that has never been hit

Ohhhh ( wince) definitely Sr Hosel city for me. That before mentioned Curtis Strange VIP 56 has a little more than that

It's too much offset for me, as well. When I play the VIPs, I stop at the 9i, which I weakened to a little to 45*, then throw in 50* wedge instead the PW. But that 9i has more offset than I'd like. From about the 7i down, they're fine; the 8i and 9i are just about OK, and the PW, and SW are awful.

But they do feel great. Really soft, which, now I think about it, is a bit odd for a Mac. I haven't played them at all this year--partly because I haven't played much due to injury and other things--but I think I'll give them a spin in the spring.

VIPs are known to be soft feeling compared to FCs and Colorkroms----- My VIPs with the Apex shafts feel as buttery as any Mizuno or Miura---- I was going to build a set of Baby Blades but I did the VIP conversion and never looked back. Many of the hard nosed old timers like my old man did not like the VIPs for that reason of course you still had the Balata ball when the original VIPs came out in 67 or so. I do remember my old man switched to Wilson around 67 or 68 from Macgregor. Part of it I will admit was because his bud who was a rep left Macgregor and went to Wilson. Also Wilson had a warehouse facility right there in Charlotte for all sporting goods. But through it all my old man did keep his trusty FC-4000 Dual Sole PW. In fact to this day that was the only FC club that I have seen worn out. Last time I saw it some 35 years ago the black was worn off the face in the right spot and the split sole was worn darn near flat and the stamping on the bottom Macgregor DS was non existent. I do remember when he basically retired he gave that wedge to his friend Charlie because as Charlie said he had beat him out of 2 tons of money over the years with that thing. When my old man played his last round of golf with me he had the FCs and a +1 Hogan Equalizer in the bag, He said someone had given him the wedge and in his words "was ok for a Hogan".

Man that was a good deal where the stars aligned up. A Muirfield 20th 1 iron is a rare bird. So are the sand wedges--- I do have 2 20th Sand wedges and both have too much offset for me but both of mine were pile finds and are worn out and rough rough rough. Out of the 3 sets I own none of mine are 20th editions--- the one pristine set of Muirfields I own have X-100 and cords from the factory from what I was told. I know the guy who bought them and he told me he ordered them that way. And they are the beautiful Tour Forged heads and have the original ferrules and that is one reason I have not converted them to Machogans. I did convert the non Tour Forged set which was a thrift store find with soft stepped #3 Apex. The other Tour Forged set believe it or not was a scrap pile find and I have played them one time and they have set. Those have S-300s and if I remember correctly the PW was missing and replaced with a M-85 PW

Nice finds DJ but then again you have a knack for finding great classic stuff. Did a little bit of hoeing and trading yesterday myself. Sold my Eye 2s for a hefty profit since they came off the scrap pile. Traded off 4 Odyssey Putters and a Ray Cook Mallet all of them work finds. Sold the Eye 2s outright did some trading on the other stuff. Ended up with the following:

Mizuno TP Mills #1 forged putter--- Man that is one Sweet feeling putter.

Lynx SS-1 Insert 8802 style putter---- I am a sucker for 8802 style putters anyhow and for some reason this one sits good for me and has an outstanding feel

TM V-Steel 5 wood---- I did this throw in deal for my bud Bear--- Seems his cracked a while back and he has been using mine with a Pro Launch Blue in it that I do not want to get rid of. This one is pristine and looks like it has never been hit has the stock R shaft and original grip which is what he wants shaft wise. That is his Christmas present.

1 doz new TM TP 5x balls---- I had wanted to try those and thought WTH?

2 rolls of lead tape ha ha

I did the trade deal with my bud who runs a shop and made him throw in a new Golf Pride putter grip since the one on the Mills was a POS and the Mills was too long for me at 35"

He laughed and told me Merry Christmas which I relay to all of you

• Like 1