No new acquistions...?

Just now, Foozle said:

Glad they turned up! I once had a set that went AWOL in transit and eventually arrived 6 months later, long after I had given up hope!

You are teasing me as I am anxiously awaiting the chance to try my set of Starbursts which I have as 2-9 + Exploder - missing the Equaliser. Stunning irons!20210318_104007.jpg.e399800a0cbf6df36b0ac245c1ba9e11.jpg

Mine are just waiting on a regrip. They have tired and hard Victory grips - (looking forward to the battle to get them off!!) - but I have a "spare" set of '61 Power Thrusts with new Ben Hogan Tour Velvet grips which I hope will blow off and transfer. 

Also acquired a nice set of '63 IPT's 1,3-Exploder as a post lock down playing treat! 20210222_160216.jpg.1e7aff0a714e1c24bb6387a70519abea.jpgMost with original and tacky leather grips.

Last but by no means least, a lovely set of Spalding Professionals from a very kind and esteemed member of our brotherhood!

I can barely contain myself!

Wow....🤩

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Foozle said:

Glad they turned up! I once had a set that went AWOL in transit and eventually arrived 6 months later, long after I had given up hope!

You are teasing me as I am anxiously awaiting the chance to try my set of Starbursts which I have as 2-9 + Exploder - missing the Equaliser. Stunning irons!20210318_104007.jpg.e399800a0cbf6df36b0ac245c1ba9e11.jpg

Mine are just waiting on a regrip. They have tired and hard Victory grips - (looking forward to the battle to get them off!!) - but I have a "spare" set of '61 Power Thrusts with new Ben Hogan Tour Velvet grips which I hope will blow off and transfer. 

Also acquired a nice set of '63 IPT's 1,3-Exploder as a post lock down playing treat! 20210222_160216.jpg.1e7aff0a714e1c24bb6387a70519abea.jpgMost with original and tacky leather grips.

Last but by no means least, a lovely set of Spalding Professionals from a very kind and esteemed member of our brotherhood!

I can barely contain myself!

Such lovely treats! I've seen a few nice sets of Hogans come up on eBay recently, but I've just run out of available space (hence selling these). Might I have seen those IPTs on eBay?

5 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

Such lovely treats! I've seen a few nice sets of Hogans come up on eBay recently, but I've just run out of available space (hence selling these). Might I have seen those IPTs on eBay?

Quite possibly. I can't recall when I got them, possibly tail end of last year, early this, but do know i haven't had the opportunity to hit them yet! The anticipation is agony! 

1 minute ago, Foozle said:

Quite possibly. I can't recall when I got them, possibly tail end of last year, early this, but do know i haven't had the opportunity to hit them yet! The anticipation is agony! 

I've never hit them, but I know they're very similar to the PTs and I found them hard to hit. 

Regarding your Starbursts: are they the original colours or did you fill them? I ask because the originals I've seen had the same colours as mine (yellow/gold stripe), which is why I went with that rather than the colours from the earlier models. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Foozle said:

More pics of the IPT's and Spalding's.20210318_110711.jpg.390da91392db5dc09fdafdba92050bdd.jpg20210318_111023.jpg.10feb93e6c83ca337470ee73a1d1f385.jpg

The '61 Power Thrusts were a learning curve. Failed to ask the correct questions and when they arrived I found several had been reshafted with no attempt to trim so the 8 iron was longer than the 4 iron etc. All over the shop! Heads were also more worn than appeared from the pictures. 😱

I now know to ask pertinent questions if the pictures supplied don't reveal all you need to know.

The saving grace was the new Hogan grips which , providing they do blow off, are worth what I paid for the set.🙂

Those Top Flights are lush. I really wish I could find out what model my dad had. They were the first irons I ever hit and I loved them. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

I've never hit them, but I know they're very similar to the PTs and I found them hard to hit. 

Regarding your Starbursts: are they the original colours or did you fill them? I ask because the originals I've seen had the same colours as mine (yellow/gold stripe), which is why I went with that rather than the colours from the earlier models. 

The PT's have a more sweeping sole profile which I am not a huge fan off. IMG_20190805_193015938.jpg.4beec2c97cb7f365ae0d83a43ee5fb09.jpgIf I am not comfortable with the look of a club I often struggle so didn't have much success with the PT's. The IPT's have a more conventional sole profile at the toe and I do like the look of them and so am optimistic that they will play well. Time will tell! 😁

On the Starburst's, the 2 iron hasn't seen much action and had residue of fill which I followed when touching in the others. Given their age, the 2 iron may well have been refilled before and I may well have copied someone else's mistake!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

Those Top Flights are lush. I really wish I could find out what model my dad had. They were the first irons I ever hit and I loved them. 

I was thinking the same. Those Spaldings look very tasty. I keep thinking I should dip my toe in the Spalding waters, but I really need to be slimming down my club collection rather than adding to it.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Foozle said:

The PT's have a more sweeping sole profile which I am not a huge fan off. IMG_20190805_193015938.jpg.4beec2c97cb7f365ae0d83a43ee5fb09.jpgIf I am not comfortable with the look of a club I often struggle so didn't have much success with the PT's. The IPT's have a more conventional sole profile at the toe and I do like the look of them and so am optimistic that they will play well. Time will tell! 😁

On the Starburst's, the 2 iron hasn't seen much action and had residue of fill which I followed when touching in the others. Given their age, the 2 iron may well have been refilled before and I may well have copied someone else's mistake!

That makes sense re the PTs. 

I followed the colours of the original Hogan Sabers, but then it was confirmed (I think) that I had them correct when I saw a guy with an almost unplayed set on Facebook. To be fair, they look just as good with the red and blue. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheDeanAbides said:

I don't know if you guys remember, but I posted about the courier company losing the Slazenger Hogan Starbursts that I sold to a guy in Finland. I was gutted that they were lost and wouldn't be played by an enthusiast, but they turned up here yesterday!

Brexit and covid combined to screw up our exporting, and DPD said they couldn't find them, so I was very happy to see them again. 

I'll be taking this out for a hit after breakfast...

ADB90543-7C2B-485A-8EB6-371242E4A466.jpeg

I had a set of irons get lost by the US Post Office between Kentucky and Wisconsin for two months.  Things got pretty contentious between the buyer and me.  After about two and a half months they showed up at his door.  In the mean time ebay had refunded both of us for our loss and the Post Office paid an insurance claim.  I think we ended up making money on the deal. 

I'm glad those Hogans came back to you.  That would have been a tragic loss.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Joe S said:

I had a set of irons get lost by the US Post Office between Kentucky and Wisconsin for two months.  Things got pretty contentious between the buyer and me.  After about two and a half months they showed up at his door.  In the mean time ebay had refunded both of us for our loss and the Post Office paid an insurance claim.  I think we ended up making money on the deal. 

I'm glad those Hogans came back to you.  That would have been a tragic loss.  

It looks like we all did okay in the end! What were the lost/found ones of yours?

6 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

It looks like we all did okay in the end! What were the lost/found ones of yours?

Mine was a set of Toski VEC blades.  So not the historical loss that yours would have been.  The buyer played them when he was younger and wanted to have a set.  He and I are on good terms now, but for a while our business relationship was very rocky.  

I've not played these, but I did hit them into a simulator and was impressed by how solid they felt.   

252467934_ToskiVEC.jpg.f6ed22714ba1c27a4ee2fd57c5368d91.jpg

• Like 2

I'll be playing this SW with my DX irons. The shaft is very thin compared to a standard MacGregor wedge. It's a True Temper Meteo shaft which I am not familiar with. It's probably from the 1950s and the Grand Slam line was a General or Storeline club. Nice looking sand wedge just the same.

IMG-0738.jpg

IMG-0739.jpg

• Like 4

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Ping Anser 2 2021 34" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

6 hours ago, Joe S said:

Mine was a set of Toski VEC blades.  So not the historical loss that yours would have been.  The buyer played them when he was younger and wanted to have a set.  He and I are on good terms now, but for a while our business relationship was very rocky.  

I've not played these, but I did hit them into a simulator and was impressed by how solid they felt.   

252467934_ToskiVEC.jpg.f6ed22714ba1c27a4ee2fd57c5368d91.jpg

They're an odd looking set of sticks, aren't they? 

• Like 1

Dang @deejaid, those Spaldings sure are nice!

• Like 1

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

50 minutes ago, deejaid said:

Keeping the Spalding love going I picked up this set from our own Teevons.   I’m guessing late 50’s Gene Littler models.  Cleaned them up today and gave the grips a conditioning with the Fiebing’s 4-way and they came out lovely.  Very nice feeling grips.

Not usually into the player model clubs but these had been calling me for awhile.

39EB81F2-8A3B-4AF5-A80A-0D313B481394.jpeg

9895F650-78BC-4620-8E79-9162C8945159.jpeg

1658AE07-8CD3-4D8C-A370-64EBC3DE3AEA.jpeg

D8E7F42B-7A63-45B4-93F1-AE587E59BB06.jpeg

What a nice set that is.  Super classy.  The brown and tan leather looks really nice.  Even the shaft bands are excellent.  Very nice indeed.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SteveNZ said:

Er, I think there should be a bit more of a fuss being made about that 2-iron...

You mean the very rare Ping 69 Ballnamic 2i?😊

I'm not a PING collector, so I'm not sure, but weren't the 69 Ballnamics the first PING irons Karsten Solheim produced? And weren't they also forged?

• Like 1

I've got a Spalding Executive 10 iron if anyone's interested in filing out a set.

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

KSig balls for now - in search of something new

10 hours ago, deejaid said:

Keeping the Spalding love going I picked up this set from our own Teevons.   I’m guessing late 50’s Gene Littler models.  Cleaned them up today and gave the grips a conditioning with the Fiebing’s 4-way and they came out lovely.  Very nice feeling grips.

Not usually into the player model clubs but these had been calling me for awhile.

39EB81F2-8A3B-4AF5-A80A-0D313B481394.jpeg

9895F650-78BC-4620-8E79-9162C8945159.jpeg

1658AE07-8CD3-4D8C-A370-64EBC3DE3AEA.jpeg

D8E7F42B-7A63-45B4-93F1-AE587E59BB06.jpeg

Those are LOVELY.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheDeanAbides said:

Those are LOVELY.

A little more research in the Golfworks Price and Identification Guide confirm these to be 1958.  It states that these were originally cherry finish with the black/white insert.  There was also a deep faced version of the Gene Littler Pro Model that was finished in black with a red/white insert.

I noticed some slight sole plate overspray and also wondered why they would put brown/yellow grips on a set of black heads.  I guess these were refinished at some point by someone that made sure the proper decals went back on but decided to paint them black instead of the cherry finish.  Good choice in my opinion.

Now the funny thing.  I believe I may have another set of these in storage that were stripped when I received them, no decals or finish at all.   I have a feeling they my be a set of Gene Littlers.  To the garage!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, deejaid said:

A little more research in the Golfworks Price and Identification Guide confirm these to be 1958.  It states that these were originally cherry finish with the black/white insert.  There was also a deep faced version of the Gene Littler Pro Model that was finished in black with a red/white insert.

I noticed some slight sole plate overspray and also wondered why they would put brown/yellow grips on a set of black heads.  I guess these were refinished at some point by someone that made sure the proper decals went back on but decided to paint them black instead of the cherry finish.  Good choice in my opinion.

Now the funny thing.  I believe I may have another set of these in storage that were stripped when I received them, no decals or finish at all.   I have a feeling they my be a set of Gene Littlers.  To the garage!

The black works really well. Will you play them?