2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

No new acquistions...?

1 minute ago, deejaid said:

Another set of Top-Flites for me.   I just about have all the 1980’s era Spalding irons now.  This set was owned and played by PGA professional Jerry McGee.  McGee won twice in 1979 but retired from the PGA Tour in 1981.  These irons were produced from 1980-84 so I am not sure if they were used on tour or if he used them after retiring from the tour.

Circa 1980-84 Spalding Top-Flite irons.   Custom ground leading edges and a lot of lead tape bringing them up to a D3 swing weight.  These were from the custom shop with the “Custom Made” on the back.   Initials “JM” stamped on the back as well, which just happens to be my first and middle initial so that works for me.  Beautiful shape to the heads.

51DDB5CA-0318-448B-8E6F-4324D7A7BE0E.jpeg

3B7BA092-A7C7-41A7-91C3-AABFEB378A73.jpeg

4795882C-C455-48B2-BE11-F91B83827E8A.jpeg

11017275-0334-4B39-B096-F9106E143117.jpeg

E8467EB5-85FD-4987-A84F-9173EC37854C.jpeg

Those are in some rather nice condition.

You're quite the Spalding Warrior, Brother Deejaid.  <tip cap>  

• Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

4 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

Those are in some rather nice condition.

You're quite the Spalding Warrior, Brother Deejaid.  <tip cap>  

They were a bit rough but the 0000 steel wool with some Bar Keepers Friend  brought them to life.

It took me a long time to get into Spalding because they always seemed lower end in my eyes growing up.  I was used to the store line Spalding’s, never knew how great the Tour Editions were.  Once I finally got the Tour Edition’s I saw the light, now I have 4 sets of 1980’s forged Spalding’s and love them all.   

• Like 2

You guys are killing it. Those are some beautiful sets of irons. 

• Like 1

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Ping Anser 2 2021 34" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

56 minutes ago, deejaid said:

Another set of Top-Flites for me.   I just about have all the 1980’s era Spalding irons now.  This set was owned and played by PGA professional Jerry McGee.  McGee won twice in 1979 but retired from the PGA Tour in 1981.  These irons were produced from 1980-84 so I am not sure if they were used on tour or if he used them after retiring from the tour.

Circa 1980-84 Spalding Top-Flite irons.   Custom ground leading edges and a lot of lead tape bringing them up to a D3 swing weight.  These were from the custom shop with the “Custom Made” on the back.   Initials “JM” stamped on the back as well, which just happens to be my first and middle initial so that works for me.  Beautiful shape to the heads.

51DDB5CA-0318-448B-8E6F-4324D7A7BE0E.jpeg

3B7BA092-A7C7-41A7-91C3-AABFEB378A73.jpeg

4795882C-C455-48B2-BE11-F91B83827E8A.jpeg

11017275-0334-4B39-B096-F9106E143117.jpeg

E8467EB5-85FD-4987-A84F-9173EC37854C.jpeg

Beautiful looking irons. I really like the grind around the toe and trailing edge.

This is probably not a question you are able to answer, but do you know why there's no PW? I was just wondering if the Pro used a different PW, or had  couple of speciality wedges in there, but I don't know how widespread that practice was back in the early/mid Eighties.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Beautiful looking irons. I really like the grind around the toe and trailing edge.

This is probably not a question you are able to answer, but do you know why there's no PW? I was just wondering if the Pro used a different PW, or had  couple of speciality wedges in there, but I don't know how widespread that practice was back in the early/mid Eighties.

Good question.  It would make sense that he might have carried some specialty wedges.  

I have a Spalding sand wedge from that early 80’s era called the E.V.-A.   What’s funny is in the Golfworks Price and Identification guide it shows that in 1982 Spalding sold the E.V.-A. sand wedge, but also an E.V.-A. pitching wedge.   Maybe the custom department was tinkering with a pitching wedge design separate from the iron set in 1980-81 before they released to the public?   Just a guess.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Joe S said:

I had another bucket list find at an estate sale this morning.  I've passed on two Scotty's at garage sales in the past.  The first time I didn't have enough money in my wallet, the second time I had a sneaking suspicion that it was a fake.  But I wasn't going to let this one get away.  They let me have it for a very fair price.  Original Titleist Grip

Scotty Newport 2 Back.jpg

Scotty Newport 2 Face.jpg

Scotty Newport 2 Sole.jpg

Nice find and great patina.  Perfectly finished SC's are cool but it's hard to beat the cool-factor of a well used but intact original finish.  

• Like 1

My son and I had a nice day skiing and I hit a few thrift stores on the way home and I found some irons. The first is a partial set of VIPs by some fella named Nicklaus. The bad news, no 5 or 7; the good news, I hear tell these are nice sticks and I found them in a thrift store. They look all original accept one grip and are in good enough shape to play. I'm surprised at the plain black ferrules and step less shafts, and I'm also surprised how nice they look at address since I'm a Wilson guy. Anyone care to tell me what year these are? Maybe I'll fill in the missing two clubs, maybe I'll play them a few times and then sell them...no need to decide now.

Edit: I'm not selling these, who am I kidding. The more I look at them, the more I like them. The factory oversized grips are still soft enough to play and I measured them today and they are factory long with a 39 inch 3 iron. I'm going back to the thrift store to ask someone to look in the back and see if the two missing clubs are there.

I also found a mostly good set of '87 Fluid Feels with the right shafts. The 7 iron is worn down, and the wedge was a roached JP Custom Grind I left there, but the rest of the set is good. I need a few sets of shafts, so I might borrow these shafts for a set of '84 Staff heads or my Bullet Backs and put them back together when I find a replacement 7 iron, or perhaps have the 7 iron head refinished. I was a bit surprised on the Fluid Feels; I thought they would look like my '84 Staffs, but they are bigger and look more like my Goosenecks than my '84s,

What's with 7 irons anyway? In the last few months, I've found these two sets needing 7 irons plus Bullet Backs and '65 Staffs needing 7s. People must chip with 7 irons and leave them green side.

small VIP.jpeg

Edited by Stephen8802
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Shallowface said:

Not only was there an E.V.-A. Pitching Wedge, there was an E.V.-A. Driver as well.

"EV" was for Ernie Vadersen, who later achieved fame as the designer of the original Snake Eyes products.

SpaldingEVA01.jpg

Wow!  Very interesting that it was Ernie Vadersen.  I actually have a set of the Smith & Wesson forged Snake Eyes he designed.  I never knew he worked with Spalding.

And look at the prices of those wedges.  $110 in 1982!  That’s $306 in today’s money.  Who knew Spalding Custom Shop was the PXG of their time!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bigarch said:

Really enjoying looking at these old Spaldings.  But the talk of their custom shop reminds me of one of the funniest stories ever.  I had a friend who had a set of custom Spalding Top Flite persimmon woods with his name on them....I think his name was on the sole plates.  Anyway, a friend of his hit them and just loved them.  So the guy wrote down the serial numbers and contacted Spalding about getting a matching set.  They did exactly as he asked and soon he received a set of Spalding Top Flite woods...with my friends name on the soleplates.  🤣

I’ve seen the 1950’s Spalding video showing they kept meticulous records.  I guess you ask for a matching set, you get a matching set, right down to the name on the sole!  😁

• Like 1

Once again, Shallowface delivers the goods.   💪

• Like 3

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

On 3/23/2021 at 4:31 PM, coldwareragolfer said:

Going to keep the MacGregor love going.  I bought these from our very own @GolfNutRiblick.   I thank him for a great deal as to they were in better shape than I imagined.  

1963 M2 Tourney 2-9,11.  Original leather grips. Which I gave a saddle soap cleaning to and then a light polish of the shafts with a steel polish and they are ready to go!

F067DDE0-439F-4E88-A184-5848B8962802.jpeg.f0d1ca0ac8b6185680d9a463108762f2.jpeg7A0F84D2-F24E-4F52-8AC5-1B5DC0A1A1BB.jpeg.f2aec3871b4758a9dee1d3db6982cc9e.jpeg87CDB953-D3EA-4562-9938-C25D35349EDA.jpeg.c0216a8512502b4078626234d1254d20.jpeg3F26E19C-BD36-4DEF-A065-49747B5A3EBB.jpeg.879e187af2273ff603c5924c107e7dfa.jpeg

Exactly like the set Stickfish gave me--- I love that 11 iron so much it is in the gamer set with the VIPs--- Yep I have 2 sets the ones Stickfish gave me and the ones my old man got new in 62--- The ones my old man had the DS split sole PW which he kept no matter what other irons he gamed and it is the only FC I ever saw wore completely out from the sole to the face--- When I play real vintage golf I play the FCs Stick sent me because they are in better shape. If I am playing vintage I do not use the VIPs because to my warped mind it is cheating because I use them everyday so to speak. 

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

On 3/27/2021 at 3:43 PM, Joe S said:

I had another bucket list find at an estate sale this morning.  I've passed on two Scotty's at garage sales in the past.  The first time I didn't have enough money in my wallet, the second time I had a sneaking suspicion that it was a fake.  But I wasn't going to let this one get away.  They let me have it for a very fair price.  Original Titleist Grip

Scotty Newport 2 Back.jpg

Scotty Newport 2 Face.jpg

Scotty Newport 2 Sole.jpg

Reminds me of my beloved rusty Santa Fe---- Love it--- Keep it as it is it has character

3 minutes ago, Joe S said:

This one is a keeper.  It fits me far better than a shiny new one.  

There you go exactly what I love to hear--- What I love is on the putting green some of the prim and proper Odyssey and Scotty guys ask "what the hell is that?" I show them and it is "OMG" they are horrified and then I go to canning putts--- the real Scotty guys can not figure out the shaft--- I tell them Scotty did not put that in there I did. Fancy pretty littled bagged weight kit ---- NO WAY just 2 strips of sole wide lead tape on the sole--- And cover forget it "Rusty" gets so hot he has to cool off between putts besides I flat refuse to game a putter I need to use a cover on.

Funny one here--- A friend of mine runs a good sized independent golf shop on this end of the beach. One Saturday I was in there and a prim and proper Tourist golfer bought him a new Scotty cover because the velcro on his quit working. He asked the guy at the counter who is a friend of mine to throw the old one away. My friend laughed and flipped it to me and said put that on that Rusty SOB Scotty you call a putter. I did fix the velcro though I took and cut the velcro off an old glove in the box ( I never throw anything away) and gorilla glued it on that cover good as new but I do not use it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BIG STU said:

There you go exactly what I love to hear--- What I love is on the putting green some of the prim and proper Odyssey and Scotty guys ask "what the hell is that?" I show them and it is "OMG" they are horrified and then I go to canning putts--- the real Scotty guys can not figure out the shaft--- I tell them Scotty did not put that in there I did. Fancy pretty littled bagged weight kit ---- NO WAY just 2 strips of sole wide lead tape on the sole--- And cover forget it "Rusty" gets so hot he has to cool off between putts besides I flat refuse to game a putter I need to use a cover on.

Funny one here--- A friend of mine runs a good sized independent golf shop on this end of the beach. One Saturday I was in there and a prim and proper Tourist golfer bought him a new Scotty cover because the velcro on his quit working. He asked the guy at the counter who is a friend of mine to throw the old one away. My friend laughed and flipped it to me and said put that on that Rusty SOB Scotty you call a putter. I did fix the velcro though I took and cut the velcro off an old glove in the box ( I never throw anything away) and gorilla glued it on that cover good as new but I do not use it. 

2 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Reminds me of my beloved rusty Santa Fe---- Love it--- Keep it as it is it has character

Is this the Santa Fe you found in the scrap pile a few years back Stu?

Edited by Divot License
  • Like 1

I'm closing in on the bullseye.

I got my first Bullseye, the traditional model, last year when it showed up in a box with a set M43s. It was too light for me and didn't work. Then I found a standard flange model at a thrift about 4 months ago and putted well with it; but I wondered, would a wide flange be the right one? I found a wide flange today at the half price sale and it is, indeed, the one. I like both the flanges, but the wide flange works the best and I have my Bullseye. Not that I needed another putter, but now I have another one I can knock them down with...this baby is sweet.

small wide flange.jpeg

Edited by Stephen8802
  • Like 4

On 3/30/2021 at 9:18 AM, BIG STU said:

I did fix the velcro though I took and cut the velcro off an old glove in the box ( I never throw anything away) and gorilla glued it on that cover good as new

great idea @BIG STU,

we had some equipment arrive a while back with about three feet of black velcro , really good quality stuff. .

none of it was used on the job, so it made it into my tool bag.

at one inch per cover repair, it will outlast me.

• Like 1

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry