No new acquistions...?

I came across this set of 2-9(missing 7i)Tommy Armour 905 Silver Scots for $25.  I’m not a fan of sets missing clubs but what caught my attention was the pyratone shafted Iron Master.  It looks brand new!  It’s not the sought after IMG but I couldn’t pass it up!  According to the Kaplan Catalog the 905s come from 1949.  Not sure about the putter.  Any ideas?15302246-7E72-4AAF-AFC1-D42268475EFB.jpeg.2de4ee4bf2d144ced6bd7389e14a2be7.jpeg2D6988BE-FF99-4C86-8101-B1B518F5C481.jpeg.c0d4ee31e7927834d7d9ee5d33034c66.jpegBA64FF3E-264C-462E-8E47-29B0B6E1C027.jpeg.c8d6c164bf39c5849e088c56767f50d4.jpeg2984AD50-ED10-439E-B739-10BEB18A15B1.jpeg.a41dacbd1ea8a9658e9f10df03a48c23.jpeg194B1524-9CDC-4FFB-A2AC-FA4872CD813D.jpeg.376cdc9cf3fd06811ba2b1ef8ee84770.jpeg234BF4E6-539B-47BC-BFBF-CEE3D5DB3257.jpeg.b3e1d939f38eecfad3e71ea84120fd8f.jpeg39A2CDE4-772E-4E1A-BC0E-B9D1EECA572F.jpeg.aaafca4e982490ca398ecec18c044373.jpegCDB4C572-A2AD-49A3-810A-0E9B02553C80.jpeg.d473efc3ab41c4c2d7002d0146c30ec2.jpeg

• Like 3

Instagram: cold_war_era_golfer 

I'm a member of a few classic clubs groups on Facebook and recently a couple people shared how they store/display their clubs. One that I really liked used peg board for the irons in their garage or basement. I'm trying to re-organize my office and garage so I am curious how everyone here might be storing/displaying their collections.

• Like 1

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Ping Anser 2 2021 34" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

4 hours ago, Stephen8802 said:

Great set...I got the first set my pro could get just before they came out and still have them.

What makes you think they are refinished and not barely hit?

Probably could be barely hit but, I’m having a hard time believing a wedge this old doesn’t have that much wear? I’m so accustomed to seeing faces worn and dark wear oval spots on the sole. Either way it’s getting used this time. Note: I realized it’s not a “line under” Staff model and I believe a slightly later version. 
First world problems!

• Like 2

On 10/23/2021 at 6:28 PM, RobotDoctor said:

I do miss the Persimmon Group Society on FB.  I don't miss FB.

I've shown this many times but my collection is stored in an oversized PowerBilt store display staff bag.  The best thing about this bag is that it is very stable and doesn't topple over.  Plus it stores all my woods with adequate space, although space is becoming limited.  😯   Added are the set of 693s I just picked up.

Persimmon collection 20211023.jpg

I am still on PGS and the Mac Collectors Society---- I do not do what I term as General FB with all the BS--- I am on several car racing groups and have my old racing buddies on there---- I also have several Church contacts from my years running sound boards for different Churches in the area---

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

15 hours ago, Forged Hack said:

Teeing off tomorrow now that the matching era woods arrived….. little red shaft bands near the neck (stiff) just like the irons, Golf Pride Full Cords too!  I’m liking the gold alignment line on the crown and the brass back weighting should be interesting as well. Yes laminated but, I’m playing Ping Eye 2 laminated woods and I can beat rock hard range balls with them without worrying. 
Cheers,

Bill

75B3C2B0-FFFF-43BC-B856-6F61B68CA15F.jpeg

E493DC35-AF5B-4652-A751-0A5A7F946221.jpeg

EFA4EE29-D7AC-4E51-A3EB-9B9D592F5ED3.jpeg

F9A083E4-27AA-432D-951E-BF8F0A820F09.jpeg

Those Laminates hit really well.  I use the 3 & 5 with my vintage set.  I use a Staff Persimmon driver though

• Like 2

Does anyone know why Wilson focused on laminated woods? I have seen persimmon Wilsons, but the majority I've seen here are laminated, including the pro-shop lines when quality is more of a selling point than cost.

I'm not saying the laminates were poor quality*, I'm just curious why Wilson didn't also produce more persimmons.

*The best golfer at the club I joined as a junior had a Wilson laminated 3w, and 5w as well I think. He won lots of local and district titles with that in the bag, so if they were good enough for him, they are certainly good enough for me.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Does anyone know why Wilson focused on laminated woods? I have seen persimmon Wilsons, but the majority I've seen here are laminated, including the pro-shop lines when quality is more of a selling point than cost.

I'm not saying the laminates were poor quality*, I'm just curious why Wilson didn't also produce more persimmons.

*The best golfer at the club I joined as a junior had a Wilson laminated 3w, and 5w as well I think. He won lots of local and district titles with that in the bag, so if they were good enough for him, they are certainly good enough for me.

Can't say for certain but perhaps Wilson was concerned with durability issues pertaining to solid blocks during that era. MacGregor was "oil hardening" persimmon heads for purposes of making them less prone to moisture damage. "Densitizing" the wood was the buzz word in the late forties into the fifties. Wilson with the introduction of "Strata Bloc" construction was likely their spin on the concept.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, raggal62 said:

Can't say for certain but perhaps Wilson was concerned with durability issues pertaining to solid blocks during that era. MacGregor was "oil hardening" persimmon heads for purposes of making them less prone to moisture damage. "Densitizing" the wood was the buzz word in the late forties into the fifties. Wilson with the introduction of "Strata Bloc" construction was likely their spin on the concept.

I hadn't thought of that angle. I was wondering if it was a problem of finding good quality persimmon, or a way of differentiating themselves from the other big manufacturers, but that was purely speculation on my part. 

It's just something I've found curious, especially since getting back into persimmon golf a few years ago.

Edited by No_Catchy_Nickname

I have also heard that by the early 60s old growth persimmon ideal for making persimmon woods was becoming harder to find.  While younger persimmon trees were still harvested into the 90s the best wood were trees 80 years old or older.  Laminated maple provided a hard material so I suppose this is why they became more prevalent from the mid/late 50s through the 90s.  

I always found laminated woods to be too hard to consistently work a golf ball. Even with a balata ball.  I also felt the feel was lost a bit more with laminated woods.  I suppose it was just a feel thing for me.  

• Like 2

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

4 hours ago, RobotDoctor said:

I have also heard that by the early 60s old growth persimmon ideal for making persimmon woods was becoming harder to find.  While younger persimmon trees were still harvested into the 90s the best wood were trees 80 years old or older.  Laminated maple provided a hard material so I suppose this is why they became more prevalent from the mid/late 50s through the 90s.  

I always found laminated woods to be too hard to consistently work a golf ball. Even with a balata ball.  I also felt the feel was lost a bit more with laminated woods.  I suppose it was just a feel thing for me.  

Not only feel.

Sound.

Crazy right?

Something about the ball coming off a solid block of wood vs. glued layers. A detectable audible difference.

Then again it might just be perception.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, raggal62 said:

Not only feel.

Sound.

Crazy right?

Something about the ball coming off a solid block of wood vs. glued layers. A detectable audible difference.

Then again it might just be perception.

No, I agree with you.  👍

• Like 1

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

One of the teachers I like uses Callaway Bobby Jones S2H2 irons. I never saw them when they first came out. I'm assuming they are cast, but could be wrong. Anyone have a set or played them? I picked up an 8 iron for the range.

IMG-0947.jpg

• Like 1

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Ping Anser 2 2021 34" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

I always thought that the S2H2 were a cavity back iron fairly similar in design to many of the cast CB's of that era.  Your 8 iron is a whole different breed of blade iron that loosely resembles the wedges that came with a full S2H2 CB iron set. 😎

• Like 1

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

1 hour ago, scomac2002 said:

I always thought that the S2H2 were a cavity back iron fairly similar in design to many of the cast CB's of that era.  Your 8 iron is a whole different breed of blade iron that loosely resembles the wedges that came with a full S2H2 CB iron set. 😎

I think there was a CB and a scotch blade version. I've seen the latter come up on auction sites here from time to time.

• Like 2

On 10/28/2021 at 1:32 PM, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I love a persimmon, but if laminates were good enough for Hogan they're good enough for me. In fact some of my favourite looking drivers are laminated. 

I have no answer to the original question, however. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, RobotDoctor said:

No, I agree with you.  👍

Agreed as well. Fifth hole front nine at my course has a tight Par 4, 415 yard dogleg left that has an elevated tee box. Surrounded by thick hedges and tall trees, It’s the perfect soundboard off the tee for acoustics using either woods. My Cleveland TC15 and Titleist  Blonde Persimmon 3 woods have a more refined “click” to them vs my Ping and Wilson laminates which are louder, but have more of a “cracking type” sound. I prefer the click. 

• Like 1

On 10/28/2021 at 10:15 AM, RobotDoctor said:

Also laminate was cheaper and faster to mass produce. Also for the weekend warrior they were more maintence free.

I also agree with you on the feel part too

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style