No new acquistions...?

On 1/4/2023 at 6:26 PM, SnowbirdTom said:

How do they play for you?  These will go into the monthly rotation when ready.  Figure 10-12 rounds a year.  I've had good fun with several blade sets this week.  

I haven't had a chance to play them yet. The heads seem to be very heavy based on their stainless steel construction, similar to my '49 Mac Hogan Par-Makers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

14 minutes ago, HoganApexBlades said:

I haven't had a chance to play them yet. The heads seem to be very heavy based on their stainless steel construction, similar to my '49 Mac Hogan Par-Makers.

Let ya know my thoughts late next week if it all comes together.

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 wood stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid x-flex

Srixon ZX-7 4-6 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 7-PW stiff

Cleveland ZipCore Tour raw wedges 52/56/60

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

3 minutes ago, cold_war_era_golfer said:

I don't have a work bench at home and STRUGGLE regripping.  This is a brilliant idea!

$20 clamp vise off Amazon works great!  Back home, I have the whole kit and kaboodle to do this stuff.  Packed the hand tools and some spare grips just in case.  😉

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09TS9B4WH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

TM Spider GT-X putter

33 minutes ago, cold_war_era_golfer said:

I don't have a work bench at home and STRUGGLE regripping.  This is a brilliant idea!

I use a Black & Decker Workmate.  I've had it for over 20 years now.

• Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

1 hour ago, cold_war_era_golfer said:

bought a small table swivel vise, from Harbor Freight, that clamps to table, or any outcropping...I've used it on a tv table & on a porch railing...have used it w/a Golfsmilth spine finder/prue. Works well with anything that needs clamping (w/appropriate cushing piece)....like regriping or extration.

• Like 1

Do you guys use grip solvent or…? I switched to WD 40 a few years ago and haven’t looked back. As a general lubricant I always thought it was worthless but turns out just perfect for installing/removing grips you may want to save o  (with the right tool) Gives a little more time to align. Maybe a tiny bit longer to dry for play afterwards 

23 minutes ago, ezgoer said:

Do you guys use grip solvent or…? I switched to WD 40 a few years ago and haven’t looked back. As a general lubricant I always thought it was worthless but turns out just perfect for installing/removing grips you may want to save o  (with the right tool) Gives a little more time to align. Maybe a tiny bit longer to dry for play afterwards 

I've switched to using an air compressor, 3M blue painters tape, with a touch of contact cement for security, and a hint of solvent at the grip opening to help it get started.  The contact cement keeps it in place, but will break loose if/when I look to remove the grips.

I'd actually used far too much with my initial install, and I was able to get those grips off with not much added effort, surprisingly.

• Like 1

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I also use a compressor now and haven't looked back. I use 5 wraps of tape with Mint Grips and they slide on. I'll also use a little mineral spirits if I'm not using a Mint grip, like putting on a putter underlisting. They hold just fine, they go on easy, and if you ever want to take them off, they come off with ease.

• Like 2

No room for compressor here, so winging it.   I use real mineral spirits to slide ‘em on.

• Like 1

TM Spider GT-X putter

19 hours ago, ezgoer said:

17 hours ago, SnowbirdTom said:

No room for compressor here, so winging it.   I use real mineral spirits to slide ‘em on.

never occurred to me to use a lubricant to remove a grip, it's residue should be removed prior to regrip...w/perhaps acetone, which cleans & leaves no residue (learned in bicycle mechanics school). 
hmm...I forgot about mineral spirits to regrip...but it also leaves a residue. My friend, an old Pro, said they used to use gasoline when regripping....
I've had no problem using grip solvent, with that V-groove thingy. When I was using the Golfsmith grip solvent to regrip, I had no problems either....however, the GolfWorks stuff sucks for the most part, tho I've not tried their higher prlce stuff...
I've no room for a compressor just for grip removal...

• Like 1

Whatever residue WD40 leaves when removing a little dish soap and hot water takes care of it. As far as assembly using your standard 2 side tape WD40 works better than the Golf Smith stuff I have. I use less and have more time to work with it. I seriously despised WD40 as a product in general, so many better silicone options,  until I used it for grips. I can’t hit the club immediately after but guessing not much more than 30 minutes till it’s ready to go but honestly I’ve never put that to the test.  I’ve only had 1 grip slip afterwards and that was a putter shaft shortened to about 27 inches and must of had 6-7 layers of tape just to get a standard Ping Man on it. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ezgoer said:

Whatever residue WD40 leaves when removing a little dish soap and hot water takes care of it. As far as assembly using your standard 2 side tape WD40 works better than the Golf Smith stuff I have. I use less and have more time to work with it. I seriously despised WD40 as a product in general, so many better silicone options,  until I used it for grips. I can’t hit the club immediately after but guessing not much more than 30 minutes till it’s ready to go but honestly I’ve never put that to the test.  I’ve only had 1 grip slip afterwards and that was a putter shaft shortened to about 27 inches and must of had 6-7 layers of tape just to get a standard Ping Man on it. 

I guess it's just old training habits from that bicycle mechanics school...I too despise WD40, prefer PB Blaster for rust removal & minor lubrication. So I still keep acetone for final clean prior to usage. I usually wait till next day for complete cure, then again, this is just me for personal use or for friends...not business orientated at all. I don't have any mineral spirits either, just alot of turpintine from working with wood refinishing work...

if the GolfWorks grip solvent keeps on being less than useful, I'll switch to turpintine & acetone...just my preference....I miss Golfsmith.

Edited by bcstones
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, bcstones said:

never occurred to me to use a lubricant to remove a grip, it's residue should be removed prior to regrip...w/perhaps acetone, which cleans & leaves no residue (learned in bicycle mechanics school). 
hmm...I forgot about mineral spirits to regrip...but it also leaves a residue. My friend, an old Pro, said they used to use gasoline when regripping....
I've had no problem using grip solvent, with that V-groove thingy. When I was using the Golfsmith grip solvent to regrip, I had no problems either....however, the GolfWorks stuff sucks for the most part, tho I've not tried their higher prlce stuff...
I've no room for a compressor just for grip removal...

It was a long time ago, but a friend of mine told me about the time the pro at his course had gotten a grip on crooked, and he went out and stuck the entire thing into the gas tank of one of the carts in order to try to loosen it enough to move it around.

One has to wonder if the gasoline smell ever left that grip.   

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

43 minutes ago, Shallowface said:

It was a long time ago, but a friend of mine told me about the time the pro at his course had gotten a grip on crooked, and he went out and stuck the entire thing into the gas tank of one of the carts in order to try to loosen it enough to move it around.

One has to wonder if the gasoline smell ever left that grip.   

Yikes, smoking use to go with golf as much as beer still does. When I started working at a golf course in the late 80’s the lost and found was as full of lighter’s as it was head covers. Too bad I never collected Zippo’s. 

• Haha 2

I’ve tried several things, including the non toxic, non flammable from golfworks, it’s only good when you use a LOT, but does dry faster.  My standby is naphtha - Coleman campstove  fuel.  Quite slippery and no residue. With most solvents fire precaution is a must.  My shop is in my furnace room, when gripping I turn the gas furnace and water heater off and then the catch pan and soaked towels go outside.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

That's a sporty looking club  🙂

• Like 1

UPS delivers! 

291886BB-EEC6-42B1-A5B1-DA22FA8A1CE4.jpeg.7f4f14f898e4bf70a9caeda865309098.jpeg

A30199B6-80E2-4D4A-82C4-50F087267FA2.jpeg.0798762cd152a0d5e517b932b3071712.jpeg

8C487C4E-BE5C-4E26-A661-8EAB64EA8BD0.jpeg.5472484f57897f0a642cb6ff165cd040.jpeg

6E0A311C-5C4D-499D-BA3D-7EC2D0447707.jpeg.f52f56b062994f03ac250b7de4707f96.jpeg

45CAE115-5F6C-41E8-8452-615EC8872722.jpeg.343640d844b8ae691d0d28759bf37d08.jpeg

• Like 3

TM Spider GT-X putter

Sorry!  

1960 MacGregor Tommy Armour CF4000 SS2 2-9 irons.

59DDC00C-9631-4715-9B4D-8AA3803683CA.jpeg.db0a5cf89903554b809e3e41ebbddc90.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

TM Spider GT-X putter

13 minutes ago, bcstones said:

Love the CF 4000 series...I have Louise Suggs set that eventually I'll regrip...& play

These definitely need grips.  Slick ain’t the word.  I just happen to have some on hand.  Imagine that. 😉

• Haha 1

TM Spider GT-X putter

12 minutes ago, SnowbirdTom said:

These definitely need grips.  Slick ain’t the word.  I just happen to have some on hand.  Imagine that. 😉

the Louise Suggs grips are kinda sora ok...I do have a set of the copper faced clubs, the ones between Colokrom irons and the CF4000, that will be regripped....I managed to accumulate as many grips as I could afford as Golfsmith put up everything at steep discounts prior to their being sold to Golf Galaxy/Dick's (also many shafts....how could I not, at some 75-90% discount)

On 1/21/2023 at 5:10 PM, bcstones said:

Love the CF 4000 series...I have Louise Suggs set that eventually I'll regrip...& play

I just passed on a set of the Louise Suggs CF4000 3-9 at the Goodwill. Very nice condition, and the red paint fill next to black ceramic face looks fantastic. Didn’t think I’d play em and at $4.99 per club I didn’t want to spend the $35 bucks. If anyone is dying for them let me know and I’ll see if they are still there. 

Edited by ezgoer
  • Like 2