SkyTrak LM.... No love?

sybez

[quote name='goatbarn' timestamp='1412957385' post='10265887']Or just get a Flightscope Xi and hack it to give you all the data including club data. Cmon[/quote]

Is that possible?

TM Sim 9.0
TM Sim 3WTi
TM Sim 3H

PXG XF 5-PW KBS TGI Graphite Reg
Cleveland CBX2 48/54/58 KBS
Byron Morgan GSS DH-89
www.gamegolf.com/player/Chunkylover77

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a flightscope xi for about 3 weeks and hated the device and send it back and got a refund. I could not get it to give me consistent data. I was extremely disappointed with the device and their ability to trouble shoot the problem. Moral of the story they told me it wouldn't read correctly because their was metal in the garage where I was using it. From my experience I would give up on an affordable accurate launch monitor. For whatever reason these cheap monitors will never be the 25k trackman.

[quote name='Bucken77' timestamp='1412971492' post='10267087']
[quote name='goatbarn' timestamp='1412957385' post='10265887']Or just get a Flightscope Xi and hack it to give you all the data including club data. Cmon[/quote]

Is that possible?
[/quote]
[quote name='goatbarn' timestamp='1413207232' post='10277647']
Anythings possible....and by that I mean yes.
[/quote]

Now this is interesting.... surely you can't get X2 features out of it though, just Xi+?

[quote name='ds19' timestamp='1413224606' post='10279265']
I had a flightscope xi for about 3 weeks and hated the device and send it back and got a refund. I could not get it to give me consistent data. I was extremely disappointed with the device and their ability to trouble shoot the problem. Moral of the story they told me it wouldn't read correctly because their was metal in the garage where I was using it. From my experience I would give up on an affordable accurate launch monitor. For whatever reason these cheap monitors will never be the 25k trackman.
[/quote]

Like any technology, we'll eventually see LMs much more affordable. It just may take a while.

[quote name='trumb1mj1' timestamp='1413294393' post='10283669']
[quote name='ds19' timestamp='1413224606' post='10279265']
[/quote]

Like any technology, we'll eventually see LMs much more affordable. It just may take a while.
[/quote]

For what it's worth, I have a ton of metal in my garage and get very consistent readings all the time.

I've found that Flightscope does have some inexperienced customer service techs that maybe talk outta their aholes sometimes.

I now talk with only a few customer service reps that I ask for by name, as they're very knowledgeable with tech issues, both software and hardware related.

Some further info released on Skytrak...

[color=#252C2F][size=3]Specs:[/size][/color]

[color=#252C2F][size=3]Ball Speed: within 1 mph[/size][/color]
[color=#252C2F][size=3]Launch Angle: within 1 mph[/size][/color]
[color=#252C2F][size=3]Horizontal Angle: +/- 2 deg[/size][/color]
[color=#252C2F][size=3]Back and Side Spin: within 250 rpm[/size][/color]
[color=#252C2F][size=3]Battery life: 5 hours[/size][/color]
[color=#252C2F][size=3]Connectivity: Wifi[/size][/color]

[url="http://rapsodo.com/"]http://rapsodo.com/[/url]

This figure surprises me the most;

[color=#252C2F][size=3]Specs:[/size][/color]

[color=#252C2F][size=3]Ball Speed: within 1 mph[/size][/color]
[color=#252C2F][size=3]Launch Angle: within 1 mph[/size][/color]
[color=#252C2F][size=3]Horizontal Angle: +/- 2 deg[/size][/color]
[b][color=#252C2F][size=3]Back and Side Spin: within 250 rpm[/size][/color][/b]
[color=#252C2F][size=3]Battery life: 5 hours[/size][/color]
[color=#252C2F][size=3]Connectivity: Wifi[/size][/color]

[color="#252c2f"][size=3]That's Gravity Core up/down differences in tolerance...... not great![/size][/color]

It does not do any club measurements at all. The unit is taking pictures of the ball in flight. Only the ball is measured.

There is no way for a side mounted camera to accurately measure face angle at impact without the use of photo-reflective stickers a la the GC2 with HMT.

They do have the ability of working in Windows as they're planning on golf course simulation software integration with TruGolf's E6 software, which runs on windows. Whether or not it'll be a wireless connection, I don't know.

[quote name='goatbarn' timestamp='1413476189' post='10299575']
It does not do any club measurements at all. The unit is taking pictures of the ball in flight. Only the ball is measured.

There is no way for a side mounted camera to accurately measure face angle at impact without the use of photo-reflective stickers a la the GC2 with HMT.

They do have the ability of working in Windows as they're planning on golf course simulation software integration with TruGolf's E6 software, which runs on windows. Whether or not it'll be a wireless connection, I don't know.
[/quote]

Even this cheap golf simulator can detect face angle.
https://www.golfprosimulators.com/features

You don't need real golf ball too.... LOL!

[quote name='northgolf' timestamp='1413596014' post='10307819']
Skytrak has updated their website. It is now available for pre-order. MSRP is $1995 with a $500 pre-order discount. Basic range software is another $99. Only Apple IOS crApps.
[/quote]

2 Grand for a home portable LM? They should cross out the home from the definition. Also why Apple IOS only? No windows software?

I preordered one. Will be happy to do a full review when it arrives (hopefully) in Nov. sometime. I was very close to pulling the trigger on a CG2, but with the cost savings potential of the Skytrak, I bought. If its not accurate, it will be going back. I personally don't care about the simulation potential as I'm more just looking for something to compliment my offseason practice so I can know what the heck the ball is doing other than hitting the net 10ft in front of me.

The range of data seems very good to me if accurate. This is from their site:

[b] Launch Data Accuracy[/b]
[list]
[*]Ball Speed: 0-200mph +/- 1mph
[*]Launch Angle: 0-55° +/- 1°
[*]Back Spin: 0-12,000rpm +/- 250rpm
[*]Side Spin: 0-4,000rpm +/- 250rpm
[*]Side Angle: 0-20° +/- 2*
[/list][size=4]
Hopefully this is the real deal. I figure in another 5 years you'll be able to get this kind of tech for $500 with full sim capabilities.[/size]

Cobra Aerojet LS 9* Ventus Blue 6x
Callaway XR 3Deep 14* Aerotech Ti-Fiber 70 F5
Srixon u45 20* Nunchuk Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 Mk II 4 iron  Nippon Modus 105x

Srixon ZX7 5-AW  Nippon Modus 120x

Taylormade MG4 54* SB, 60* TW True Temper TI s400
LAB MEZZ.1 MAX

Anyone that wants to get this discount can use my code...
[color=#868A8B][size=1]
With this exclusive invitation, you have the opportunity to receive a special
$500 pre-launch discount if you [b]ACT before November 15[/b],
when SkyTrak is expected to become available through select dealers.[/size][/color][color=#868A8B][size=1]
SkyTrak is offered with our 3D Practice Range or with the optional
Advanced Game Improvement & Challenge package. Use your personalized
coupon code [b]C3CF9874B[/b], to receive $500 off either one of our
special pre-launch packages.[/size][/color]

I just had a chat with the Sky Trek people via On-Line Chat.

Unfortunately for me, the US$500 Pre-Launch discount is not available outside the US (or maybe North America).

The Sky Trak is not available in Europe yet and there is no date or pricing for it. The US version is NOT CE Certified/Marked so is not legal to import into the European Union.

There is a subscription charge for the software app of US$99/annum !!

The chat rep said the Sky Trak is only compatible with the iPad Air and NOT the iPad4. This is at odds with one of the testers and moderator (Bubba22) on the Ottawa Golf forum.

Without the Pre-Launch discount, the lack of iPad compatibilíty, the subscription annual charge, the lack of information of European Union launch date and pricing, etc. this becoming less and less attractive. I will be waiting to see what new developments there are in other launch monitors.

BHB1

[quote name='BHB1' timestamp='1414458594' post='10359921']

Unfortunately for me, the US$500 Pre-Launch discount is not available outside the US (or maybe North America).

The Sky Trak is not available in Europe yet and there is no date or pricing for it. The US version is NOT CE Certified/Marked so is not legal to import into the European Union.

The chat rep said the Sky Trak is only compatible with the iPad Air and NOT the iPad4. This is at odds with one of the testers and moderator (Bubba22) on the Ottawa Golf forum.

Without the Pre-Launch discount, the lack of iPad compatibilíty, the subscription annual charge, the lack of information of European Union launch date and pricing, etc. this becoming less and less attractive. I will be waiting to see what new developments there are in other launch monitors.

BHB1
[/quote]

I think the subscription thing is confusing. I don't think you have to pay $99 annually for the software. The basic software comes with the hardware and is included in the base price. The $99 gets you the game improve and challenge package. It includes a 12 months subscription to the golf magazine and the skycaddie moblle gps app. I don't think you need to pay $99 every year to keep your software.

[quote name='happybob' timestamp='1414473791' post='10360887']
[quote name='BHB1' timestamp='1414458594' post='10359921']

BHB1
[/quote]

I think the subscription thing is confusing. I don't think you have to pay $99 annually for the software. The basic software comes with the hardware and is included in the base price. The $99 gets you the game improve and challenge package. It includes a 12 months subscription to the golf magazine and the skycaddie moblle gps app. I don't think you need to pay $99 every year to keep your software.
[/quote]

Maybe you are correct. The Chat Rep wrote:

"There is a subscription fee for SkyTrak Basic Practice & SkyTrak Game Improvement Package" (US$99). I read this as two separate options, but that doesn't make sense for both to cost the same, so maybe it is just the Game Improvement Package. This price is for the US and when the Sky Trak is released in Europe, the websites will be updated.

He gave the following link for the subscription and it is of course very American biased - Golf Magazine, etc. and BoxGroove Tee Time Booking of courses, which are only North American ones, though that could be customised for Europe of course:

[size=2][url="https://shop.skygolf.com/p-1679-skytrak-game-improvement-package.aspx"]https://shop.skygolf.com/p-1679-skytrak-game-improvement-package.aspx[/url][/size]

I hope this Sky Trak is not limited to the iPad Air, but can run on iPad 4, etc. Perhaps Bubba22 can clarify exactly which iPads can be used with the Sky Trak, later.

BHB1

I tried this unit at the China PGA Show back in March. The company also made some simulator called Xswing Golf (http://xswinggolf.com/skytrak.html). The device itself showed great potential, but the software was extremely buggy. I couldn't realistically tell the difference between this device and the ES14. If I remember correctly, they were thinking about a $3K price point as they were firm believers that they had a fantastic product that could directly compete with Trackman, et al.

If they solved the software issues - and that's a big if - this could be a suitable replacement for a GC2. More so at the $1.5K intro price. However, I wouldn't be surprised if you could get your hands on this device at a sub-$1K price point on the 2nd hand market after the winter.

There's some good info about the device here: http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showthread.php?78354-NEW-SkyTrak-Launch-Monitor. I'd keep an eye on it before pulling the trigger, IMHO.