Ping Eye 2, Eye 2 plus, Eye 2 plus-no plus

billj

Eye 2 BeCu "Patent Pending" 1986. Square grooves.

http://www.equip2gol...2.html~archives

That answers my questions. I failed to find that chart in my search. Many thanks Fellaheen51!

In pointless fwiw mode... ;)

That's the site I checked, also.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

• 1 month later...

Bumping this older thread. Called Ping C. S. to inquire about the recent Eye 2 acquisition. Since the shaft labels were pretty much gone, wanted to confirm the shaft installed. They have the NZ + shafts which, I was told, were a predecessor to the ZZ Lite, 115 g. and stiff. Didn't find a great deal of info about these in my Ping research, actually not even showing up in discussions of shafts used in Eye 2's. Build date was 11/85.

Nevertheless, I've cleaned them up, extensions, used 3/8" length differentials to make the long irons a bit more manageable, and new grips. They are now ready to take to the course for a go. I'm not overly optimistic though, these shafts feel beyond stiff in a few practice hits to date.

Found a SW to go along with the set. Thought I was getting a Eye 2+, until I got it home and upon closer examination, discovered it was a "plus no plus". So modified sole design with the original Eye 2 grooves. Will see if it will spin the ball for me, something that heretofore, is not part of my game repertoire.

Being that I now have the SW, might as well look for a set of "plus no plus" irons to add. I kid......a little bit. They do seem rather pricy though.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Felt compelled to add something that could be semi important (depending upon personal opinion), about the Ping eye 2 irons. What's been overlooked in the history of these clubs is the first original eye 2 "U" grooved or square grooved as people like to call them. These came directly after the first eye 2's that were "V" grooved and they had the pat # and "others pend" printed on them. These were the one's that were ripping the balls up and why Ping then went and attempted to fix the problem by rounding the edges of the grooves. This is when the USGA and Ping got into the legal battle and the USGA banned the clubs, only to recant and legalize them again. However, the PGA tour walked to the beat of a different drummer and totally banned them for tour play. I guess they infact play by a different set of rules, but that's for another discussion. In my opinion, these eye 2 models are the one's worth getting, if you could even find them.

Disco111, I found a set of "others pending" Eye 2's on Ebay a couple of weeks ago, 3 - 9 for less than $120.00 shipped married them up with BC wedge and SW (the wedge is the "dot" model) and a BC "Pat Pending" 1 Iron, then found an "others pending" 2 Iron in Eidolon's shop and traded another "Eye 2" iron for it heads up! Exceptional Irons!

Disco111, I found a set of "others pending" Eye 2's on Ebay a couple of weeks ago, 3 - 9 for less than $120.00 shipped married them up with BC wedge and SW (the wedge is the "dot" model) and a BC "Pat Pending" 1 Iron, then found an "others pending" 2 Iron in Eidolon's shop and traded another "Eye 2" iron for it heads up! Exceptional Irons!

Great find.........I just missed a set last night on ebay for $133. I think most folks really don't know about them and that's why they go kind of cheap. I've been looking on and off for some time now and they just don't surface that often. I'm probably shooting myself in the foot buy informing folks and now they'll all be looking for them.

The partial 2 - PW (missing 4i and 5i) set has: U.S. Pat. D276644. Others Pend. (below). Therefore, they must be the U groove model. Made from the middle of 1984 to the fall of 1985. Would be consistent with the build date supplied by Ping. They were a thrift store find for $20.00, the reason for my acquisition short the two clubs mentioned prior. To good a deal to just leave them sitting there.

As mentioned, these have NZ + shafts. They must not have made many with these, virtually non-existent discussion of them with Eye 2's. The focus being on ZZ Lites primarily. Identifiable markings on the shaft labels (now removed, save for one) were pretty much gone. Lending no info other than they were silver with blue and black bands.

Perhaps someday, will find the 4i, 5i and SW that would fill out the set. But not going to spend significant $ chasing, because non-matching serial #'s sets really have diminished value amongst the Ping aficionados. And why I would have no qualms with updating the shaft to one a bit more suitable to my capabilities. CFS perhaps.

Just scored a set 3-W on ebay all the way from Hawaii. Took a shot at the last couple of seconds and got the bid for $80. Really thought the bidding would go higher, since there were at least 5 other's bidding. Right place, right time I guess. I had a set way back in 84/85 and the first time I hit an iron to the first hole (8 iron and a top flight ball), I hit a slight draw to the right side of the green and the ball spun clear across to the left side of the green and when I picked the ball it had stringlets of the cover hanging. The edges of those grooves really chewed balls, especially balatas. I doubt that the grooves in these will be that hungry, after all these years, but never can tell. looking forward to see if they still have any teeth.

My Eye 2's ( 1 thru L ) are all Others Pend. heads in stainless steel. I prefer these because unlike the BeCu, you can bend the lie/loft if you need minor adjustments. BeCu hardens with age and gets to where it is too hard to adjust. Got mine in May 1985. They have been good friends. I like many of the vintage irons, Hogans, Macs, Wilson, etc. but when score is important the Eye 2's get the call!

Sorry to report that the set of Ping eye 2's ordered, that were said to be the "Others Pend", at least that what the picture showed on ebay, were not the ones received. At least the seller did take them back, but I could not understand why this seller (out standing rep) did what transpired. Even the set that was delivered had a different ser# wedge, so another not so true factor (matching ser#'s in the listing). Good thing ebay has a stand behind it position on sales, otherwise I would have been stuck with a set that was not worth the money and not what I thought I purchased. But in the time spent on rectifying the problem, another set of Pings caught my eye - S59 3-W and got them for $120 plus shipping. I always liked those blade type offerings and figured what the heck, give them a shot. It's kind of funny in a way, because they are even classified as vintage clubs in today's market. Just hope I get what i paid for when these arrive. Still have my eye open for the "Others Pend eye 2's) but not right away. Got to give it a little time and let the boss (wife) cool down.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm reading along. Microtapers, made by Brunswick. Reportedly a bit heavier and stouter than the more common ZZ Lite found in E2's. Maybe why you find it a suitable wedge shaft. Thus exhausting my limited knowledge on the subject.

Well it's a crowd of 2...I never got along with the ZZ Lite myself, but never found a set of microtaper to play

As a general question, any idea of what a set of Karsten 1 Patent Pending irons...all original shafts, and matching serial #'s....might be worth, because you don't see many of them around.

Hope you're ready for old man winter, Fella....

I've been curious about the Microtaper, but have never hit them.

Didn't get into the Ping world, other than the odd putter here and there, until 2011.

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Well it's a crowd of 2...I never got along with the ZZ Lite myself, but never found a set of microtaper to play

As a general question, and idea of what a set of Karsten 1 Patent Pending irons...all original shafts, and matching serial #'s....might be worth, because you don't see many of them around.

The snow blower is prepped and fueled. Skis are waxed. The thermotech long johns are out of storage. The ice fishing gear (rods, tip-ups, swedish pimples) have been inventoried and ready for action. Storm windows cleaned and ready for deployment.

I jest of course. It's only 9/15. Still a lot of golf to be played (fall golf is the best). Haven't done any of the aforementioned.......yet.

• 2 weeks later...

As a general question, and idea of what a set of Karsten 1 Patent Pending irons...all original shafts, and matching serial #'s....might be worth, because you don't see many of them around.

The snow blower is prepped and fueled. Skis are waxed. The thermotech long johns are out of storage. The ice fishing gear (rods, tip-ups, swedish pimples) have been inventoried and ready for action. Storm windows cleaned and ready for deployment.

I jest of course. It's only 9/15. Still a lot of golf to be played (fall golf is the best). Haven't done any of the aforementioned.......yet.

I hear that it was in the mid 90's this weekend in Michigan....mid-July weather

I hear that it was in the mid 90's this weekend in Michigan....mid-July weather

It was smokin' ? in Northern IL also!!!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

As a general question, any idea of what a set of Karsten 1 Patent Pending irons...all original shafts, and matching serial #'s....might be worth, because you don't see many of them around.

Saw a set of Karsten 1's not long ago at Play It Again Sports. They wanted $79.00 for them.

Driver 10.5 Taylor Made Burner 2.0
Ping 3 and 7 woods
Component 5 and 6 hybrids
and 8 and 9 irons (SGI)

Scratch 47 degree PW

Alpha SW

All graphite shafts
Putter: uh, I have a few

Saw a set of Karsten 1's not long ago at Play It Again Sports. They wanted $79.00 for them.

There was a set of Karsten II's at our local club swap a year ago last spring and they were asking $65.00 They were in really nice shape. Old Pings never die!

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

• 1 month later...

Did they make the + No + in BeCu?

Yep! I have a left handed Eye 2 BeCu plus-no-plus 2 iron. My 3i - Sw are regular BeCu Eye2s (albeit the set it missing 7i and 9i.)

I wonder how many other lefty BeCu plus-no-plus irons are out there? If there’s a lefty out there looking for incomplete BeCu set I would sell them. I acquired them a year ago in great condition in a thrift shop and knew they were special and hell, when would I find them in lefty again? Fun to hit but I play better with my modern set.

I’ll take pics if anyone wants to compare the 2i and 3i heads. Subtle differences.

You just missed a full matching serial numbered set on eBay I was bidding on and stopped at $41 they sold for $44 plus $21 shipping, that’s why I stopped at $41. I’m kinda at my limit of golf equipment right now with four playable sets of irons and three playable sets of woods and a myriad of putters(about 35) and other individual woods/irons and wedges(about another 50+) and balls, balls and more balls, 2,200+ collectible and 200+ players. Wife is freaking out because 80% of it all is in the living room, they sure aren’t going in the shed. No no no.

Just a quick question, can a eye2 5 iron be bent to a stronger loft? If yes, how far do you think it could go to. It's the original eye2 pre plus (86) I think. Ta

Why would you want to?

Most 17-4 irons can be bent a couple degrees but Ping suggests there is risk at this point (not sure why) because they won't bend Eye2's anymore.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"